HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Around the league XXVI

View Poll Results: Should fighting be banned
Ban fighting entirely - game suspension for fighting 6 8.82%
Leave it the way it is 42 61.76%
Leave fighting but change the rules somehow. 20 29.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2011, 07:08 PM
  #51
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,016
vCash: 500
Don't get me wrong; I think having guys like Versteeg in your lineup is very important. Just look at what Chicago is without him, Ladd, Byfuglien, etc.

Ernie is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
  #52
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Flames up 3-0 in the first. Keep the delusion alive, boys, at least until the deadline.

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:35 PM
  #53
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,475
vCash: 500
I guess Forsbergs PPG pace went off..

EpochLink is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:44 PM
  #54
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,475
vCash: 500
Colorado is fully embracing the tank

EpochLink is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:46 PM
  #55
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Flames up 3-0 in the first. Keep the delusion alive, boys, at least until the deadline.
The way they are playing, they have as good a chance as any of those teams.

ouch 5-0 now.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:47 PM
  #56
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
The same thing happens with all these surprise teams. They have one good year, everyone proclaims them as the next Chicago, and they collapse under the weight of expectations.

There isn't enough credit given to teams who still play well when they're expected to win.

VanEric is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
  #57
campbell_soup
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,088
vCash: 500
I just discovered today that Nashville is the most overrated team in the league. But then again, why am I discounting their deep, deep offense?

campbell_soup is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:49 PM
  #58
Lard_Lad
Registered User
 
Lard_Lad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
The way they are playing, they have as good a chance as any of those teams.

ouch 5-0 now.
Jokinen on a three-period pace to break the Sittler record.

Guess Forsberg knows a sinking ship when he sees one.

Lard_Lad is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 09:52 PM
  #59
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Jokinen on a three-period pace to break the Sittler record.

Guess Forsberg knows a sinking ship when he sees one.
I guess he's not Jokinen around anymore.

Thank You, I'll be here all week, and likely until the season's over.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
  #60
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad View Post
Jokinen on a three-period pace to break the Sittler record.

Guess Forsberg knows a sinking ship when he sees one.
He probably didn't realize what he was getting himself into. He might have been fine as a complimentary player, but the team is a mess and he was going to have to be the go-to player for them to even have a shot at the playoffs. I doubt he had that much left in his tank. All he's done is crash that young team's morale. They thought they were getting a boost in the arm, and now they can see the holes they have without that kind of player in their line-up.

Really, he should have gone to a contending team where he wouldn't have been relied upon so heavily.

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 10:28 PM
  #61
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 11,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Versteeg played 19:00 a night and is on pace for a career high in points - if Burke expected anything more out of him than he's getting right now it's poor judgement on his part.

Again, this looks bad on Brian Burke. It shows a lack of vision and a case where he didn't do his due diligence on the player before he acquired him.
Yeah, Versteeg is known as a clutch playoff performer ... not much use for that in Toronto.

Burke doesn't seem to know whether he's coming or going.

On one hand, trading away good players like Beauchemin and Versteeg, who the team had under contract through next season, and doing so for (distant) futures is a pretty clear sign that there is no intention to compete next season, and that the club is doing the rebuild that Burke should have started two years ago, after he's already screwed up the whole rebuilding process.

On the other hand, they're making all kinds of noise about signing Brad Richards and making a big splash in the UFA market this summer.

But the net situation right now for that team is this :

- once Kaberle bolts or is traded, they have 2 top-4 defenders in their organization for next season, and one is Dion Phaneuf.

- they have no goalie of any ability signed for next season.

- they have no players on their roster who have ever scored more than 60 points in a season.

That team is so asset-poor it's unbelievable.

Even if Burke signs 2 or 3 pretty quality UFAs this summer, they're still going to suck next season. Making a massive UFA splash will only replace the quality players they've lost this season.

He's screwed up so badly there it's unbelievable.

MS is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 10:36 PM
  #62
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Yeah, Versteeg is known as a clutch playoff performer ... not much use for that in Toronto.

Burke doesn't seem to know whether he's coming or going.

On one hand, trading away good players like Beauchemin and Versteeg, who the team had under contract through next season, and doing so for (distant) futures is a pretty clear sign that there is no intention to compete next season, and that the club is doing the rebuild that Burke should have started two years ago, after he's already screwed up the whole rebuilding process.

On the other hand, they're making all kinds of noise about signing Brad Richards and making a big splash in the UFA market this summer.

But the net situation right now for that team is this :

- once Kaberle bolts or is traded, they have 2 top-4 defenders in their organization for next season, and one is Dion Phaneuf.

- they have no goalie of any ability signed for next season.

- they have no players on their roster who have ever scored more than 60 points in a season.

That team is so asset-poor it's unbelievable.

Even if Burke signs 2 or 3 pretty quality UFAs this summer, they're still going to suck next season. Making a massive UFA splash will only replace the quality players they've lost this season.

He's screwed up so badly there it's unbelievable.
But...but..... he won a cup in Anaheim (mostly with another GM's roster)

Most GM's get 5 seasons or so before they have to worry about their jobs, unless you crap the bed completely like Nonis in 2008. I bet Burke is starting to hit panic mode now, since his original plans of rebuilding through trades didn't pan out. He probably realizes that rebuilding is his only option now, and talk of signing UFA's in the meantime is just a "Toronto is still a desirable place to play" smoke-screen. If that's the case, why was Versteeg so happy to leave, and why did Kessel have to clarify why he doesn't talk to his coach?

Hammer79 is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 10:45 PM
  #63
KDizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
He probably didn't realize what he was getting himself into. He might have been fine as a complimentary player, but the team is a mess and he was going to have to be the go-to player for them to even have a shot at the playoffs. I doubt he had that much left in his tank. All he's done is crash that young team's morale. They thought they were getting a boost in the arm, and now they can see the holes they have without that kind of player in their line-up.

Really, he should have gone to a contending team where he wouldn't have been relied upon so heavily.
But given how competitive Forsberg is, I doubt he would want to just be a passenger on a team that's competing for the cup.

And given his loyalty to franchises he's played for, it was between Colorado, Nashville, and Philly... Philly would've looked good, but I really think for Forsberg it was "be the go-to guy on a young team fighting for a playoff spot or bust".

KDizzle is offline  
Old
02-14-2011, 11:43 PM
  #64
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Calgary puts up a 9 spot on the Avs. After losing to the Nuckies, Calgary takes a crap on the Avalanche.

Considering I have friends that are fans of the Avs, I will be doing some considerable laughing tomorrow.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 02:24 AM
  #65
Agent007
Registered User
 
Agent007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,582
vCash: 500
LOL remember all that talk about John-Michael Liles winning the Norris??

After starting the season with 26 points in 27 games he's got 9 points in his last 30 games. He's still on a 51 point pace but he'll likely finish around 45 points which is good but far from all that Norris talk

Oh and by the way he was -6 last night against the Flames

Agent007 is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 03:12 AM
  #66
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,475
vCash: 500
The air got knocked out of Colorado tonight, Forsberg retiring didn't help them at all. Craig Anderson back to his Florida days every day he plays

EpochLink is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 03:33 AM
  #67
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,381
vCash: 500
Looks like Forsberg knows a good time to dessert a team..

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 06:22 AM
  #68
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,338
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Looks like Forsberg knows a good time to dessert a team..
he's a treat

me2 is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 01:01 PM
  #69
Ernie
Registered User
 
Ernie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,016
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
He's screwed up so badly there it's unbelievable.
Yeah, but he's a politician at heart. Keep the unwashed masses focussed on the latest bauble and insist the team will make the playoffs any day now.

Ernie is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
  #70
ddawg1950
Registered User
 
ddawg1950's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,515
vCash: 500
One of the things I respect about Gillis is his ability to plan...and the have a back-up plan...and then a contingency, etc.

Burke, on the other hand, is like a crow, reacting to every shiny bauble that appears in his field of vision.

So Versteeg was a leader with a Stanley Cup ring and an attitude that represented the New Leafs. And now, not so much.

I've come to realize that Burke really is a simple con man. I've no love for Leaf fans, but this kind of behaviour is going to take years to correct and the pain is going to be substantial.

ddawg1950 is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
  #71
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
One of the things I respect about Gillis is his ability to plan...and the have a back-up plan...and then a contingency, etc.

Burke, on the other hand, is like a crow, reacting to every shiny bauble that appears in his field of vision.

So Versteeg was a leader with a Stanley Cup ring and an attitude that represented the New Leafs. And now, not so much.

I've come to realize that Burke really is a simple con man. I've no love for Leaf fans, but this kind of behaviour is going to take years to correct and the pain is going to be substantial.
You have come to realize this just now?

Of course Burke will now to try to re-write history and claim this was his plan all along.

Wetcoaster is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 02:21 PM
  #72
ubiquitous
More like Shredder
 
ubiquitous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,494
vCash: 500
Getting a first round pick (even though it may end up being in the high twenties) for the Leafs is huge, and adding a third rounder for a guy like Versteeg is a big win for Burke. Granted, Steeger was probably the Leafs second most tradeable asset (first probably being Kaberle, trade clause and all) but to get that kind of return for a guy like him is a good step in the right direction. Adding a guy like Voros though, I don't really get the point, even for a 7th rounder.

ubiquitous is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 02:34 PM
  #73
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,276
vCash: 1580
Anyone see this thread yet?: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=877830

Winnipeg Jets is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 02:41 PM
  #74
KDizzle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Japan
Posts: 8,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Anyone see this thread yet?: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=877830
Be wary, Gillis, you might get slipped a ruffie and taken advantage of!

KDizzle is offline  
Old
02-15-2011, 02:45 PM
  #75
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
Anyone see this thread yet?: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=877830
If there is a GM in the league I'm not worried about Gillis getting "jacked" by it's Garth Snow.

Canucker is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.