HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the league XXVI

View Poll Results: Should fighting be banned
Ban fighting entirely - game suspension for fighting 6 8.82%
Leave it the way it is 42 61.76%
Leave fighting but change the rules somehow. 20 29.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
He's still going to have to be really bad for his stats to come back to the pack.
That's the thing, he won't. Let's say he plays 18 more games and faces an average amount of shots (33.5 for Boston) and his save percentage over those 18 games is .920, that would leave him with a save percentage of .933 by the end of the year.

Three more bad games and his Sv% will be back down to earth (.930), to get it back up he would have to play out of his mind like did at the beginning of the year.

Old
02-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Placebo Effect

Chris Kelly traded to Boston for a 2nd (from McKenzie)

Old
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Agent007

****ing hell. Kelly might just have been a real sweet pickup for us. He could have played anywhere on the bottom six and for a 2nd round pick that's not bad value.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Peter Griffin

Haha, there had to have been 15 threads or more on the T&R board announcing the Kelly trade.

And agreed, Kelly is really someone who would've been a great addition here but with a $2.125M cap hit and signed through next season it just doesn't make sense financially I don't think.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:11 PM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
****ing hell. Kelly might just have been a real sweet pickup for us. He could have played anywhere on the bottom six and for a 2nd round pick that's not bad value.
We have zero cap space as it is. Without moving a top six forward, Kelly was implausible.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:13 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Haha, there had to have been 15 threads or more on the T&R board announcing the Kelly trade.

And agreed, Kelly is really someone who would've been a great addition here but with a $2.125M cap hit and signed through next season it just doesn't make sense financially I don't think.

Are you sure?? You are underestimating the nerds on HF.

Yes. I had to zoom out of my browser to take that screen print. Couldn't even get the sticked thread on top.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post

There's enough cap space to make a player with Kelly's cap hit work.

We're going to have to add someone to the bottom six during the summer and at $2.15m it wasn't that bad of a number. He's a solid 30 point third line player that would have been a GREAT fit on this team. Basically he could play wing if needed on the third line or could have been a center on that third line with Malhotra down to the 4th.

However it doesn't matter anymore since he's a Bruin now and a 2nd round pick definately is a very fair price to pay to add what Kelly brings. Keep in mind he was also the Sens 3rd line center during their 2007 cup run.

At this point if Gillis wants to make a move to the bottom six he's likely going to have to make it sooner rather than later.

It really does suck that all these moves are getting made now. This might just be the slowest trade deadline day we've had in years.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Yes. I had to zoom out of my browser to take that screen print. Couldn't even get the sticked thread on top.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
Catamarca Livin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Ehrhoff isn't 6'5" and doesn't have experience playing as a power forward on top of being a D-man.
There are plenty of defenseman playing in the NHL who do not have Ehrhoff stats making over 4million. The Canucks have two of them. It was rumored that Hamhuis could have signed for much more than 4.7. I hope Ehrhoff signs for 5, but if he doesn't someone will pay him alot more. He fills a need as he can quaterback a pp. I doubt he get Campbell money but if he has a good playoff someone will overpay. Buffy is not a bad signing if he keeps progressing as he has the last two years, and with the cap raising it might not look bad at the end of the contract either. Remember the outcry about Dustin Penner's contract it doesn't look bad now.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Depends on what moves Gillis plans on making this off-season. Sure they could fit in another $2M+ player in the bottom 6, but Hodgson's cap hit is going to be near $2M next season without a bonus cushion, so perhaps it's a choice between having proper space for Hodgson and not?

Old
02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Haha, 15 seems to have been a very conservative guess on my part.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroshaugFan2 View Post
We have zero cap space as it is. Without moving a top six forward, Kelly was implausible.
We've got more cap space then you can imagine. Have a look at the cap space thread for more information.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Tiranis

Quote:

We're going to have to add someone to the bottom six during the summer and at $2.15m it wasn't that bad of a number. He's a solid 30 point third line player that would have been a GREAT fit on this team. Basically he could play wing if needed on the third line or could have been a center on that third line with Malhotra down to the 4th.

However it doesn't matter anymore since he's a Bruin now and a 2nd round pick definately is a very fair price to pay to add what Kelly brings. Keep in mind he was also the Sens 3rd line center during their 2007 cup run.

At this point if Gillis wants to make a move to the bottom six he's likely going to have to make it sooner rather than later.

It really does suck that all these moves are getting made now. This might just be the slowest trade deadline day we've had in years.
You would move Malhotra to the 4th because you just acquired an inferior player in Kelly? Really? People cried about Malhotra's cap hit and now they want to take on a clearly inferior player for the same amount of money?

Seems to me like all you know about Kelly are his point totals (which aren't even that impressive given his role).

Old
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You would move Malhotra to the 4th because you just acquired an inferior player in Kelly? Really? People cried about Malhotra's cap hit and now they want to take on a clearly inferior player for the same amount of money?

Seems to me like all you know about Kelly are his point totals (which aren't even that impressive given his role).
You could have put Kelly on the fourth line but it doesn't really matter because with the way our bottom six looks if you add another 3rd line center there (which is what Kelly is) then you've basically got two third lines.

And besides people may have cried over Malhotra's cap hit but I sure as hell never had.

I think what Malhotra brings to the table for that price is definately good value.

Old
02-16-2011, 12:06 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

TSNBobMcKenzie:

Quote:
Also, memo to delusional Leaf fans who think they may get 2011 1st rder back from BOS. It is NOT happening except in your dreams.

Old
02-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Tiranis

Ouch, truth hurts, hahaha...

Old
02-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Tarot Sport*

I love how Versteeg, a guy who comes in and puts up top-6 numbers on an offensively inept team, is the one addition that doesn't fit with the Toronto Maple Leafs according to Brian Burke.

Old
02-16-2011, 12:52 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Ottawa is on rebuild mode now, trading players for picks and/or young talent.

Gonchar, Kovalev...any takers?

Old
02-16-2011, 01:00 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpochLink View Post
Ottawa is on rebuild mode now, trading players for picks and/or young talent.

Gonchar, Kovalev...any takers?
He's on a 35+ type of deal so if he retires early, he remains a cap hit. I'd be wary about acquiring players on those type of contracts.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:09 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Whitbread View Post
I love how Versteeg, a guy who comes in and puts up top-6 numbers on an offensively inept team, is the one addition that doesn't fit with the Toronto Maple Leafs according to Brian Burke.
Versteeg's from a winning environment therefore he didn't fit in.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:23 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Registered Nurse

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie:

You can refer to my user slogan or whatever for the way I feel about that.

Old
02-16-2011, 03:06 AM
Agent007

Here's a little something I did while watching the game tonight (these numbers are BEFORE tonights game for both the Flyers and the Canucks):

TOP 13
1 D. Sedin 1.28 C. Giroux 0.93 0.35
2 H. Sedin 1.19 J. Carter 0.89 0.3
3 R. Kesler 0.95 M. Richards 0.89 0.06
4 A. Burrows 0.77 D. Briere 0.88 -0.11
5 M. Samuelsson 0.7 V. Leino 0.71 -0.01
6 M. Raymond 0.65 K. Versteeg 0.66 -0.01
7 J. Tambellini 0.41 S. Hartnell 0.62 -0.21
8 R. Torres 0.39 J. van Riemsdyk 0.49 -0.1
9 M. Malhotra 0.33 N. Zherdev 0.4 -0.07
10 J. Hansen 0.32 A. Nodl 0.39 -0.07
11 A. Bolduc 0.16 D. Powe 0.22 -0.06
12 T. Glass 0.16 B. Betts 0.18 -0.02
13 A. Volpatti 0.13 D. Carcillo 0.12 0.01

That right there is a points per game comparison of our top 13 forwards vs the Flyers top 13 forwards. I did it in excel so that's just how the numbers got copy pasted on to here but you get the idea if you just follow it.

Before the Versteeg trade we matched up REAL well against the Flyers. Now however things change a little. You have to keep in mind that Versteegs PPG numbers come from playing with Toronto and everyone else gets dropped down a bit on the depth chart so perhaps some numbers will drop however overall it breaks down like this:

Our top two players make a huge difference here. The Sedins are preforming at an ELITE level while the Flyers top guys are all doing real well but none of them would be considered ELITE offensive players.

After that Richards and Kesler are pretty close, Burrows is slightly lower than Briere (but you could argue that Burrow's been at least as good since getting over offseason surgery), Samuelsson and Leino are a wash, as are Raymond and Versteeg.

So that takes care of the top six which Vancouver getting the advantage thanks to our top two forwards compared to the Flyers top two forwards.

Now on to the bottom six and this is where we see the difference.

The Flyers 7 to 9 players are all better point producers then what the Canucks currently have 7 to 9. Hartnell outproduces Tambo(by 0.21PPG), JVR out produces Torres (by 0.1PPG) and Zherdev outproduces Malhotra (by 0.07PPG). The fourth line gets outproduces as well but it's all by 0.07PPG or below.

When it's all said and done however you can see how these teams lineup and it's something along the lines of this:

Van top line>>Philly top line
Van 2nd line=Philly 2nd line
Van 3rd line<Philly 3rd line
Van 4th line=<Philly 4th line

Another interesting thing to note is how god damn lucky the Flyers have been in terms of health this season. They have used only 14 forwards and 8 defencemen while the Canucks have used 22 forwards and 12 defencemen.

Old
02-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Tarot Sport*

To be honest, I'll be very happy to be worried about Philadelphia come the spring.

If anyone is looking for a laugh that Guardian thread on the main board involves a ridiculous dissecting of a joke. Hilarity ensues.

Original joke: "Funny thing about the Leaf Guardian, if you cut him in half you'll see no new rings since 1967."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
That Leafs joke is downright brilliant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Technically, the joke makes no sense.

But i do see the humour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
It makes perfect sense. Tree's have rings for every year they are alive, win the cup get a ring. no rings since 1967.

B^U
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
Actually, this is wrong.

Trees get rings because of variations in seasonal temperature causing differing growth patterns. The size of the rings can be used to measure whether there was periods of drought or unusually favourable conditions.

In short, the amount of time the tree has been alive, on it's own, does nothing. If you put a tree in a perfectly stable climate it would have no rings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
But Canada doesn't have a stable climate, so the rings show up every winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Smartass got owned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
You do know that you're talking about a giant walking tree that shoots gobs of crap out of it's hands and can grow infinitely....right?

Last edited by Tarot Sport*: 02-16-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old
02-16-2011, 03:36 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Whitbread View Post
To be honest, I'll be very happy to be worried about Philadelphia come the spring.

If anyone is looking for a laugh that Guardian thread on the main board involves a ridiculous dissecting of a joke. Hilarity ensues.

Original joke: "Funny thing about the Leaf Guardian, if you cut him in half you'll see no new rings since 1967."
Yeah, he picked the wrong time to quote Biology texts. It just goes to show that you can argue about pretty much anything.

Old
02-16-2011, 04:53 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
TSNBobMcKenzie:

It's really funny to think that there are some Leaf fans out there that actually believe that might happen.

For **** sakes I'd be surprised if Boston traded their own 1st round draft pick for Kaberle let alone the Leafs 1st round pick

Closed Thread