HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reaction to Mario Lemieux's comments...

Old
02-14-2011, 11:27 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

vCash: 500
Reaction to Mario Lemieux's comments...

"The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed," the Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner said in a statement released on Sunday. "We, as a league, must do a better job of protecting the integrity of the game and the safety of our players. We must make it clear that those kinds of actions will not be tolerated and will be met with meaningful disciplinary action."

Does he have a point ?
Is he just whining ?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:24 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
He signs Matt Cooke's paycheck.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:18 AM
nnynetpotato

But,but, he has to play Cooke because all the bad people have goons!

Mario being a little girl is embarassing to our intelligence.

If wanted to see no hard hits,I'd watch peewee hockey and the ALL-Star Game.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:23 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

If he said it after the Boston/Montreal slugfest it probably would've carried more weight. Likewise if he didn't pay Matt Cooke it would carry a whole lot more weight as well.

It's a garage league when its his players getting beat on. But any other teams, or if its Cooke going out there trying to take someone's head off it seems to be OK.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:24 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm...Name=penalties

The Pens lead the league in major penalties this season.

The Pens are 3rd in misconduct penalties this season.

The Pens lead the league in PIMs/game.

Yeah, Mario needs to

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:40 AM
PuckSim8

I just make it a rule not to listen to what anyone has to say, when they don't say anything for a whole season, until something happens to THEIR team.

Because at that point it's clear it's more about their team having something unfair happen to them, and less about the actual issue at hand.

The problem is that nobody ever speaks out against something, until it happens to their team. That's something that I think would be a nice culture change in the NHL. For owners/players/coaches/GM's etc. to speak out against things that they witness that might not personally affect them within' the confines of their own team.

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:23 AM
barcs

It was interesting to see Lemieux step up, and I'm glad he did. Now our ownership, or soon to be ex-ownership, isn't the most recent one to taddle to uncle gary.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:00 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Most of the comments have it spot on.

It's somewhere between "hypocrite" and "spoiled child".

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:57 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

This is the same Mario Lemieux who essentially quit the game for three years because people were holding him too much.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Some sportsnet writer got a quote from an anonymous NHL exec that basically said that if Lemieux wants to change the game, then maybe he should start showing up to Owner's and BOG meetings.

If that's true, and he's not showing up at league meetings........and he's kept his mouth shut regarding Cooke.............

Far as I'm concerned, he can just shut the **** up.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Clock

vCash: 50
There was a conversation about this in the NHL thread, but consensus seems to be "cry harder."

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:00 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckSim8 View Post
I just make it a rule not to listen to what anyone has to say, when they don't say anything for a whole season, until something happens to THEIR team.

Because at that point it's clear it's more about their team having something unfair happen to them, and less about the actual issue at hand.

The problem is that nobody ever speaks out against something, until it happens to their team. That's something that I think would be a nice culture change in the NHL. For owners/players/coaches/GM's etc. to speak out against things that they witness that might not personally affect them within' the confines of their own team.
Mario's comments are even worse than that IMO. Many GMs, owners and players take an active role in making changes by getting involved in various committees.

Mario on the other hand has never gotten involved as an owner or player. He just throws a hissy fit once in a blue moon. He also has the best player in the NHL on his team who follows his lead and doesn't get involved either.

Bob Mackenzie and Stevie Y both commented on this.

Mackenzie

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=353904

Quote:
Lemieux's criticisms still ring hollow, though, because he could, if truly interested, back his words by actions - taking a more proactive role at the ownership or governor level to discuss NHL crime and punishment. Even before Lemieux's outburst, Penguins GM Ray Shero intended to at least discuss head hits and concussions at the next General Manager's meeting in mid-March and he's by no means alone on that count. If Lemieux is legitimately concerned for where the game is headed, he would encourage Sidney Crosby, once he's healthy, to get on the NHL-NHLPA Competition Committee, an opportunity that may be available to him.

In other words, the general sense is if Mario were truly concerned with the state of the game, not just the Penguins' place in it, there are plenty of other ways for Mario to show it.

Stevie Y

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353871

Quote:
Steve Yzerman wants to hear more from Mario Lemieux.

"I think Mario is one of the most well-respected, intelligent people in the game," the Tampa Bay Lightning GM said Monday on a conference call. "I would encourage him (and) I think we should all encourage him to get more involved with the league because he has a lot to offer."
In summary quit crying and get involved.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
PuckSim8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Mario's comments are even worse than that IMO. Many GMs, owners and players take an active role in making changes by getting involved in various committees.

Mario on the other hand has never gotten involved as an owner or player. He just throws a hissy fit once in a blue moon. He also has the best player in the NHL on his team who follows his lead and doesn't get involved either.

Bob Mackenzie and Stevie Y both commented on this.

Mackenzie

http://tsn.ca/blogs/bob_mckenzie/?id=353904

Stevie Y

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353871

In summary quit crying and get involved.
McKenzie nailed it in his segment on TSN. Both videos are up somewhere if you click on the video player thing. Pretty sure they're in the That's Hockey section.

Well if I've learned anything is that these guys tend to not want their pride damaged too fully, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sudden push for Crosby to join some of these things, like the competition committee. Of course I also expect there to be some excuse like ' oh well we were going to do this anyway, and then he got hurt.' or some BS like that.

We'll see though

PuckSim8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemeow
"If the events relating to Friday night reflect the state of the league, I need to re-think whether I want to be a part of it."

Well... bye.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote