HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Boston - Carolina

Old
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
sabresfan91

vCash: 500
Boston - Carolina

Im a sabres fan but this is for bruins fans, would you trade seguin for jeff skinner right now straight up?

sabresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Mark Stuart*

Obviously

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

No, no I wouldn't.

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:48 PM
8BostonRocker24

No chance

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:49 PM
sabresfan91

Can you also give reasoning either way.

sabresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Lord Ahriman

I wouldn't.

It's pretty clear Skinner has the edge right now, but Seguin has more skills and is a more complete player, he just needs to adjust on NHL level.

Lord Ahriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Battaglia
Hail Tim Thomas.

No I would not. Mainly because I think Seguin will end up being the better player. Skinner has been sick though.

Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Obviously Skinner would have been a great fit for the Bruins this year.

On the other hand, not sure he would have thrived in Julien's system at 18 either.

At the end of the day, I think both will play in many all star games, but I would not trade Seguin for Skinner. I think he can be a top 10 player in this league for a long time

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:55 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
It's pretty clear Skinner has the edge right now, but Seguin has more skills and is a more complete player
Seguin is probably a better two way player but saying he has more skill is definitely debatable, IMO.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 09:57 PM
chizzler

No they wouldn't and rightfully so.

chizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:22 PM
Bruins1993

I say no but i can see carolina saying no aswell

Bruins1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

I wouldn't. Skinner is having the better season, but it's a marathon not a sprint.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Bonesy99

Carolina says no, why wouldnt boston want an 18 year old who could play in their top 6 already? savard is out, skinner is unreal (the way he played this year compares to stamkos). I would not say skinner is as good as the elite three but he also has huge potential to be a top 10 player in the nhl.
I think boston would do this, but Skinner is the heart and sole of Caronlina the fans absolutely love his Beiber look he has going on, oh and he is good at hockey

Edit : i mean stamkos in his first year not now clearly lol

Bonesy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Both teams say no.

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:05 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Skinner wouldn't be in Boston's top 6. You aren't likely to find an 18 year old kid out there that Julien would dress over his current top 6.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:12 PM
Bonesy99

Skinner has as many points as the two centers in the top 6 for boston now.

Old
02-13-2011, 11:30 PM
compan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonesy99 View Post
Carolina says no, why wouldnt boston want an 18 year old who could play in their top 6 already? savard is out, skinner is unreal (the way he played this year compares to stamkos). I would not say skinner is as good as the elite three but he also has huge potential to be a top 10 player in the nhl.
I think boston would do this, but Skinner is the heart and sole of Caronlina the fans absolutely love his Beiber look he has going on, oh and he is good at hockey

Edit : i mean stamkos in his first year not now clearly lol
Stamkos was a slow start like Seguin (who has seemed to turn it up in his passed two games)

compan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:34 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by compan View Post
Stamkos was a slow start like Seguin (who has seemed to turn it up in his passed two games)
But Seguin is no Stamkos.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Bonesy99

18 points in 52 games vs. 45 in 78, very comparable? maybe some bias in that opinion

Old
02-14-2011, 12:07 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan91 View Post
Can you also give reasoning either way.
Both teams have a different set of coaches, and expectations of their player. Julien has Seguin playing between 6-13 minutes a night, depending on how he performs. Little to no powerplay time, and Julien's expectations of him are to become a solid 2-way player before they let him go offensively. Whether this is right or wrong, is another debate. Skinner is getting much more ice-time, specifically on the powerplay, and usually playing with some pretty offensively talented players. Seguin has been relegated to playing with Shawn Thornton, Greg Campbell and Daniel Paille at times. I think it would be fair to say, Seguin would be given much more leniency in Carolina, in terms of letting his defensive game slip. And the same would go with Jeff Skinner in Boston, he'd be held more accountable, and honestly I could see the Bruins sending him back to juniors prior to the beginning of the season, just because of their teams make up then.

Skinner is very impressive and I'd take him over some players in our top 9; but I think the verdict is not out on both. Right now, on either team, I wouldn't swap prospect for prospect; the grass isn't always greener on the other side. It would be interesting to have this conversation in 5 years, but it's too early now.

WhalerTurnedBruin55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Neither team does this.

Seguin has a boatload of potential (more than Skinner is debatable).

Skinner is now a cult hero in Carolina, to the point where one local girl asked him to her high school prom.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:29 AM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

comparable question... would carolina fans have preferred patrice bergeron over eric staal back in 2004?

there is usually a reason one guy gets drafted 1/2 and that reason is his upside potential and raw talent.

and if someone not drafted 1-2 happens to have a great season or two as a kid... they usually never get much better. im not saying they automatically suck, but you cant find many examples of guys drafted late in the first year who have great first seasons then keep improving.

look at a guy like scott gomez for devils or justin williams for philadelphia. they impressed the hell out of all of us making their teams as kids. then they never really improved alot. Not saying they are bad players but neither is headed anywhere near the hall of fame when they are done playing. What we saw in their rookie year turned out to be about all they had.

they deserve props for being so mature as 18/19 year olds... but ultimately they just proved to be mature enough to give us what they had. it seemed more impressive only because of their age.

seguin doesnt have the same limitations. he may never realize his potential. there is always a risk that very high end talents dont live up to expectations.

I will say though if Jeff Skinner has a career comparable to gomez or williams or bergeron then he will have a lot to be proud about. If Seguin has a similar career then he will be considered a disappointment.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:35 AM
CSimpson18

I'd take Samsonov over Thornton any day of the week. Oh wait, what was the question again?

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:44 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ahriman View Post
I wouldn't.

It's pretty clear Skinner has the edge right now, but Seguin has more skills and is a more complete player, he just needs to adjust on NHL level.
Just a question. What edge do you give to Seguin in the "more skills" category? (I haven't seen enough of him to know so this is a serious question, not trying to dispute what you wrote).

For Skinner, he has fantastic hands, unbelievable vision on the ice (especially for his age), a good shot, great hockey sense, a knack for scoring, a non-stop motor, and a unique but effective skating style (with the 10-2). Some of those aren't technically a skill. He also is surprisingly strong for his age/height and is much better at puck possession than I expected.

I know Sequin is bigger, looks like he has very good speed (random observation on my part). I also believe he has very good scoring skills, ability to set people up and a strong 2 way game. For someone who has seen more of him, what skills do you think sets him apart from someone like Skinner?

As to the OPs question, I think neither team would do this. With a guy like Seguin,the Bruins shouldn't be worried about what he'll do this year or even next. They are counting on him a couple years down the road and he'll need some time do develop and adapt to the NHL. I realize Skinner has surprised a lot of people this year, but I don't think enough has changed since the draft that would change the Bruin's management's opinion of Seguin.

It's fun to speculate, but way too early to say one player will be better than another in 5-10 years.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
comparable question... would carolina fans have preferred patrice bergeron over eric staal back in 2004?

there is usually a reason one guy gets drafted 1/2 and that reason is his upside potential and raw talent.

and if someone not drafted 1-2 happens to have a great season or two as a kid... they usually never get much better. im not saying they automatically suck, but you cant find many examples of guys drafted late in the first year who have great first seasons then keep improving.

look at a guy like scott gomez for devils or justin williams for philadelphia. they impressed the hell out of all of us making their teams as kids. then they never really improved alot. Not saying they are bad players but neither is headed anywhere near the hall of fame when they are done playing. What we saw in their rookie year turned out to be about all they had.

they deserve props for being so mature as 18/19 year olds... but ultimately they just proved to be mature enough to give us what they had. it seemed more impressive only because of their age.

seguin doesnt have the same limitations. he may never realize his potential. there is always a risk that very high end talents dont live up to expectations.

I will say though if Jeff Skinner has a career comparable to gomez or williams or bergeron then he will have a lot to be proud about. If Seguin has a similar career then he will be considered a disappointment.
A couple of questions/comments.

I understand what you are saying, but I think Justin Williams is a bad example. He had 25 points in 63g his first year, 40 in 75g his 2nd year. Injuries hit. He then developed in Carolina into a 30G / 70point player and was outstanding defensively. That's a substantial improvement over where he started. If it wasn't for injuries (a couple of very serious knee injuries), I have no doubt Williams would have been a consistent 30+G/ 70-80point player. Even now in Los Angeles in a year where he is finally healthy (but not nearly as fast as he was before all the injuries), he is on pace for 29 goals and 67 points.

Re: Skinner, I am curious to understand what limitations he has when you say "Seguin doesn't have the same limitations"? Not disputing it, just want to understand your line of thinking.

BTW..I'm of the same opinion though. If I was Boston, I would not want to make the trade based on 1/2 a season. I have confidence Sequin will develop.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote