HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky now that 2 1sts have been traded

Old
02-14-2011, 06:14 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
These two trades (versteeg and Fisher) have nothing to do with Hemsky or Penner's value, so Oiler fans have nothing to worry about.

Hemsky is a slick play-maker who plays on the RW.
Penner is a power forward who prefers LW but has been known to play RW at times.

The only things that these two trades confirm for us is where Philly and Nashville's 1st round picks are going.

I'm not making any predictions, but I think that Penner or Hemsky could still be a possile target in the future for the Preds. Not saying it's likely, just possible. Not every deal involving a quality player needs to have a 1st round pick involved.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Mid to late 1st. Neither Fisher or Versteeg are as injury prone as Hemsky. I say a pick in the 15 to 30 range.
Fisher was actually considered to be very injury prone for quite awhile he has shaken that moniker now having strung together a few healthy seasons. If any team can get Hemsky for a pick in the 15th to 30th overall range in this draft they are getting a steal of a deal.

While I'd say it is a fair characterization at this point to label Hemsky the most injury prone of the 3, he doesn't have what I would look at as a nagging or potentially career ending injury. He is also clearly the most offensively gifted player of the 3 boasting a 0.915 points per game average since the lockout. On a better team with better linemates, I'd say it's a fair guesstimation that he would be a point per game player there.

Burnt Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:21 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
not necessarily .......the playoff race is so tight that a team that misses the playoffs by 5-6 points could be a top 10 pick....Atl...Buff..NYR...could all have top 10 picks....and so could a team like Dallas if things dont go well....and they are 3rd in the west
add hemsky to one of those teams.

how does the stretch run look for them now?

A team wont trade for him right now unless they think they have a realistic chance at the playoffs, and if they have a realistic chance at the playoffs adding hemsky likely pushes them in.

If you think hemsky is only getting traded for a top ten pick, then he wont be traded at the deadline.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
add hemsky to one of those teams.

how does the stretch run look for them now?

A team wont trade for him right now unless they think they have a realistic chance at the playoffs, and if they have a realistic chance at the playoffs adding hemsky likely pushes them in.
Better of course....but not a guarantee to make the playoffs...adding a player at the deadline does not always make a TEAM better

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
gdsmack267

Hemsky to Pitt for first rounder and bortuzzo.

gdsmack267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:30 PM
lakai17

vCash: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Mid to late 1st. Neither Fisher or Versteeg are as injury prone as Hemsky. I say a pick in the 15 to 30 range.
Yeah right, Hemsky is valuable for any teams lineup, imagine if Edmonton had enforcers earlier that would stick up for their teammates.

Oilers shouldnt trade Hemsky if the return is less than what Fisher or Versteeg fetched.

Hemsky >>> Fisher

Hemsky >> Versteeg

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you think hemsky is only getting traded for a top ten pick, then he wont be traded at the deadline.
I think the chances are much better that he doesn't get traded. There's really no reason for the Oilers to do so unless they're compelled to.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Hemsky honestly would be a great fit for Pittsburgh, not just this year (however that ends up for Pitt) but long term too.

He brings a lot of the same things they were willing to pay Hossa $8 million for.
What? He brings almost none of what Hossa did. Hossa brought elite scoring and defense and Hemsky has niether. It would be a good fit for the Pens but becuase Hemsky can carry the puck which would give Sid some room and not be relied upon so much.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:33 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsmack267 View Post
If it was a better prospect, I would do it. Pitt fans seem to be in love with Depres though, so it doesn't seem likely.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:35 PM
lakai17

Quote:
yeah right.

Old
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:

Yeppers.

I highly doubt that anyone would give Tambolini a job if he was insane... but I do remember Tambolini offering Hemsky + scraps for the 2nd overall pick to Boston. It was draft day. Was speculated on multiple times before Edmonton started the draft off by picking Hall.

Dudes on the boob tube then went on to say that Boston wanted Hemsky + Eberle for 2nd overall and at that point Tambolini apparently gave up on trying to draft both Hall and Sequin.

Too bad. The deal didn't go down. Could you imagine the position Edmonton would be in a few years from now? Adding Sequin to the list of guys they drafted last year and then grabbing Larsson with the 1st overall pick in 2011? Compltely insane. Unless 1/3 or more of Edmonton's prized prospects turned into duds, it would be one of the fastest rebuilds of all time.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I think the chances are much better that he doesn't get traded. There's really no reason for the Oilers to do so unless they're compelled to.
Hemsky is only signed for one more year and its not like they will be winning a cup then so why not trade him for a first rounder plus a prospect? Look at it this way. If they trade away hensky that means they will have 3 picks in first 31 draft spots. Thats pretty awesome.

Old
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I agree.

I'm just pointing out that its a bit silly to say:
- fisher got a mid to late first
- versteeg got a late first

so hemsky should get a high first?

High firsts arnt available right now, so if that's the value of hemsky, he's not being traded right now.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:39 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
If it was a better prospect, I would do it. Pitt fans seem to be in love with Depres though, so it doesn't seem likely.
He is not worth 2 first round picks so that isnt happening. It will be a first rounder and mid round pick or nhl ready prospect.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:44 PM
SDig14

Quote:
He is not worth 2 first round picks so that isnt happening. It will be a first rounder and mid round pick or nhl ready prospect.
Agree to disagree. IMO, he has a lot more internal value to the Oilers and the league in general than Kris Versteeg. You are describing the return Versteeg just got.

We are going to be asking for 2 1sts, i.e. 1st + prospect. Less than Kessel, more than Versteeg and Fisher.

Why? Because we have the luxury of not NEEDING to deal him. If no one pays our asking price, we move on and look forward to the draft.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:45 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Hemsky is only signed for one more year and its not like they will be winning a cup then so why not trade him for a first rounder plus a prospect? Look at it this way. If they trade away hensky that means they will have 3 picks in first 31 draft spots. Thats pretty awesome.
It's a fair comment but any 1st round pick coming back is unlikely to turn into a #1C/#1D, which are Edmontons only real needs that will be difficult to address through trade/FA. I think Tambo's looking for something big by packaging hemsky. He can afford to be patient.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Horton-like return.
I have to agree with this post , A decent dman and a mid round first. I think brian Boyle has it right and if traded this post is bumped

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
In a fairly "weak" draft as far as big name prospects go. Anything outside the top 4 is a crap shoot.

Hemsky has also said he likes it here and wants to stay... its not like he's planning on walking out after his contract.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
yeah right.
Quote:
Bortuzzo has the potential to be a top 4 blueliner... and I think he could turn out better than Despres (maybe). He was an untouchable at the deadline last season, that is how highly regarded he is in the org.

After Despres he is easily the Pens next best blueline prospect and he is about NHL ready (next season).

I love Hemsky and want him to be a Pen, but giving up Bortuzzo is a steep price.

Oiler fans would be quite happy with this guy.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:47 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Agree to disagree. IMO, he has a lot more internal value to the Oilers and the league in general than Kris Versteeg. You are describing the return Versteeg just got.

We are going to be asking for 2 1sts, i.e. 1st + prospect. Less than Kessel, more than Versteeg and Fisher.

Why? Because we have the luxury of not NEEDING to deal him. If no one pays our asking price, we move on and look forward to the draft.
I just don't understand the point in keeping him. If he was signed long term I would agree with that but he isn't. More then likely after next season he will be signing elsewhere and they arnt remotely ready for a cup run yet. If you can trade him now and get 3 picks in the first 31 slots I say do it. That gives you 3 players who could be in the NHL immediately or within 2 years which is what Edmonton needs.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
In a fairly "weak" draft as far as big name prospects go. Anything outside the top 4 is a crap shoot.

Hemsky has also said he likes it here and wants to stay... its not like he's planning on walking out after his contract.
About 1% of players say i don't like it here and want to move. Money talks for these guys.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
SDig14

Quote:
I just don't understand the point in keeping him. If he was signed long term I would agree with that but he isn't. More then likely after next season he will be signing elsewhere and they arnt remotely ready for a cup run yet. If you can trade him now and get 3 picks in the first 31 slots I say do it. That gives you 3 players who could be in the NHL immediately or within 2 years which is what Edmonton needs.
That's a pretty big assumption though. If he was going to leave, I think they would deal him for sure. However, he has said he likes it in Edmonton and would like to stay here because this is the place he's spent his whole career, has friends here, gf here, and the team is looking promising in the future.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:
About 1% of players say i don't like it here and want to move. Money talks for these guys.
So i'm basing what i say on the fact that

a) the org said last year they were going to find who didn't want to be here and move them, and hemsky remained.

b) Hemsky himself saying he wants to stay here and is on board with the rebuild and like where we're headed

c) Hemsky has never once hinted he wanted out.

While you base what you say on the fact that...?

What your saying is nothing but baseless speculation that literally contradicts every bit of evidence we have in either direction. Honestly, unless you can prove somewhere that hemsky is going to sign somewhere else, or even a rumor or something, you shouldn't be allowed to post this crap.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 06:54 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Bortuzzo has the potential to be a top 4 blueliner... and I think he could turn out better than Despres (maybe). He was an untouchable at the deadline last season, that is how highly regarded he is in the org.

After Despres he is easily the Pens next best blueline prospect and he is about NHL ready (next season).

I love Hemsky and want him to be a Pen, but giving up Bortuzzo is a steep price.

It's funny, I saw him play in the AHL All-Star game, and then saw him play once earlier in the year and actually like him quite a bit. IMO, I just think the market is dictating we might be able to get a return a little better, i.e. a guy with similar upside but perhaps a better chance of reaching it, etc.

Old
02-14-2011, 06:58 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

and what's that 1st rounder going to do for Edmonton in a weak draft?

Edmonton and Pittsburgh do not make great trade partners at the moment unless Despres is involved and Im sure Oilers can manage a better "prospect" than him and a better 1st rounder. Maybe next season bud.