HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky now that 2 1sts have been traded

Old
02-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDig14 View Post
It's funny, I saw him play in the AHL All-Star game, and then saw him play once earlier in the year and actually like him quite a bit. IMO, I just think the market is dictating we might be able to get a return a little better, i.e. a guy with similar upside but perhaps a better chance of reaching it, etc.
Ya I understand where you are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakai17 View Post
and what's that 1st rounder going to do for Edmonton in a weak draft?

Edmonton and Pittsburgh do not make great trade partners at the moment unless Despres is involved and Im sure Oilers can manage a better "prospect" than him and a better 1st rounder. Maybe next season bud.
You may not like the 1st + Bortuzzo offer, but acting like Bortuzzo isn't a legit prospect is ridiculous. He has a ton of upside and plays with Strait on the Baby Pens to form one of the best shutdown pairs in the A.

Just because he wasn't a 1st rounder like Despres, shouldn't take away from the actual talent and high promise he has shown.

Also I seriously doubt they get a 1st AND a teams top blueline prospect for Hemsky, as good as he is.

You won't find too many GMs willing to give that up, even for Hemsky.

And ya I know, they just won't trade him then, etc, etc.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya I understand where you are coming from.

You may not like the 1st + Bortuzzo offer, but acting like Bortuzzo isn't a legit prospect is ridiculous. He has a ton of upside and plays with Strait on the Baby Pens to form one of the best shutdown pairs in the A.

Also I seriously doubt they get a 1st AND a teams top blueline prospect for Hemsky, as good as he is.

You won't find too many GMs willing to give that up, even for Hemsky.

And ya I know, they just won't trade him then, etc, etc.
Nothing against Bortuzzo. No disrespect.

I'm sure Tambellini has already recieved a few legit offers for Hemsky that he's keeping in mind, so I'll disagree with you on that one.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:20 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
Mid to late 1st. Neither Fisher or Versteeg are as injury prone as Hemsky. I say a pick in the 15 to 30 range.
Fisher is significantly better player than Versteeg, their offensive out put is similar but Fisher is a power 2 way selke style physical center who is great at face-off also. Heart and soul type player also.

Nashville struck quick before the price went over the roof to get IMO the most quality long term player that would be moved this deadline. Only down side was his Cap hit was about 1 million too high. But Nashvilly didn't care because they are not anywhere near the cap and Fisher's deal was front loaded. He will only be paid an avg of 3.5 next 2 years instead of 4.2.

Now just wait and watch guys who you would not think are worth for more than a 3rd return a 1st.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:30 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Fisher is significantly better player than Versteeg, their offensive out put is similar but Fisher is a power 2 way selke style physical center who is great at face-off also.
I really don't think that's true. At the very least its close.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:32 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopelessOilFan View Post
So i'm basing what i say on the fact that

a) the org said last year they were going to find who didn't want to be here and move them, and hemsky remained.

b) Hemsky himself saying he wants to stay here and is on board with the rebuild and like where we're headed

c) Hemsky has never once hinted he wanted out.

While you base what you say on the fact that...?

What your saying is nothing but baseless speculation that literally contradicts every bit of evidence we have in either direction. Honestly, unless you can prove somewhere that hemsky is going to sign somewhere else, or even a rumor or something, you shouldn't be allowed to post this crap.
Then you should be confident he would sign in the offseason. Why not trade him (not this year, but next, when he'll be a UFA) and get what you can and then resign him in the offseason like the Blues did with Weight and Tkachuk. Give Hemsky a chance to get a cup and gain some valuable assets.

I agree that it is not the time to trade Hemsky, but next season if the Oilers are in the same position, why not?

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:33 PM
spot

Hemsky is going to Atlanta or Los Angelas. Book it. Both teams must make the playoff's this year. Specifically the Thrashers. The Oilers have no pressure at all to trade him this year. The Oilers are in the drivers seat. The return would be bogosian+ Schenn+ that is what Hemmer's value is.

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:41 PM
darenshan54

The only option is boston, and they won't trade toronto's first.

darenshan54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
I really don't think that's true. At the very least its close.
No it really isn't. Versteeg is a complimentary and limited in a top 2 line role.

Fisher is a core guy on just about any team because of his great overall game even is his offensive out put is not 2nd line center level.

Versteeg is a 45 pt 20 goal winger. So is Fisher. He does not bring anywhere near the other stuff Fisher brings to the table though plus Fisher is a shutdown center. You can put him up against the Sedins, Toews, Thornton, Datsyuk etc.

steal

Old
02-14-2011, 10:54 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post
Now that Fisher and Versteeg have been traded for a 1st rounder with conditional picks... what does this make Hemsky's value worth now?

edit: mod, i can't type, can you change *or* to *are* in the thread title? thanks
Different type of players...

Fisher and Versteeg have a few things in common (in that they are both 2 way players, playoff experience, can play center, can be on the PK and PP) but Hemsky doesn't bring the same things to the table. He's basically an elite play-maker with an injury history and no recent playoff experience (since 06).

Basically a different and smaller market for Hemsky. He'll probably get a mid/late (LA/Pens/etc) first but i doubt he'll get a 2nd pick with the first or any prospects. Or LA might be willing to give up one of their defensive prospects in the place of a 1st.

denkiteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:03 PM
Roof Daddy

Bottom line is that these 2 deals have shown that quite a few GM's are worried about making an upgrade, but also are concerned about the future of their team (no big names acquired yet are pure rentals. I think a lot of GM's are also concerned about lean UFA markets (this year at forward especially). Fisher and Hemsky are different players, so its fair to suggest the Fisher deal doesn't necessarily set precedence, but Fisher also had a limited NTC (and really only had one destination he desired) and still got a first. And Hemmer and Versteeg are very much the same player, and Hemmer is the superior player there, so I'd have to think at minimum it's 1st, 2nd and B prospect.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:18 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Hemsky is going to Atlanta or Los Angelas. Book it. Both teams must make the playoff's this year. Specifically the Thrashers. The Oilers have no pressure at all to trade him this year. The Oilers are in the drivers seat. The return would be bogosian+ Schenn+ that is what Hemmer's value is.
I'd like to see a trade with St.louis but that's probably unlikely.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Boston aquire Bogosian but depends on where Atlanta is at deadline I'm assuming, if they're a playoff team they may go for Hemsky, I doubt Rags are interested in dealing Gaborik to an eastern team.

LA and Edmonton make good trade partners in my mind but we'll see which offer Tambellini likes the most.

Old
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
no one with a top 10 pick is going to acquire hemsky.

The only teams shopping right now are in the 15-30 range.

So maybe you get a mid-to-late first + a prospect. Maybe a mid-to-late first + a young forward ready to play now.

You wont get a top 10 pick though, because it makes no sense for a non-playoff team to acquire a guy right now when prices will be lower in the offseason.
Trading Hemsky to Atlanta, Carolina or LA could easily end up in the top 10.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Flutie Flakes

How about a first plus a conditional pick... a second rounder if he's healthy and does not miss any games due to injury or a 4th rounder if he gets injured

He clearly puts up more points than Versteeg so would the Versteeg trade set the standard?

Flutie Flakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:48 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Different type of players...

Fisher and Versteeg have a few things in common (in that they are both 2 way players, playoff experience, can play center, can be on the PK and PP) but Hemsky doesn't bring the same things to the table. He's basically an elite play-maker with an injury history and no recent playoff experience (since 06).

Basically a different and smaller market for Hemsky. He'll probably get a mid/late (LA/Pens/etc) first but i doubt he'll get a 2nd pick with the first or any prospects. Or LA might be willing to give up one of their defensive prospects in the place of a 1st.
Do you really think we would trade Hemsky for a pick in 20-30 range or a D prospect and that's it? If those are the offers then Hemsky is going nowhere.

Also, helping the Oilers get to within a game of winning the cup is worth as much as any playoff experience Fisher or Versteeg had IMO.

In general, teams usually pay more for added offensive production, so they will pay up for Hemsky or we will keep him. He is 27 years old, so he will fit with our plans long-term.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:57 PM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutie Flakes View Post
How about a first plus a conditional pick... a second rounder if he's healthy and does not miss any games due to injury or a 4th rounder if he gets injured

He clearly puts up more points than Versteeg so would the Versteeg trade set the standard?
Yeah the Versteeg and Fisher trade set the standard. A 1st rounder plus conditional is pushing it unless they equal Boston's 1st round picks.

Hemsky > Versteeg

Hemsky >> Fisher

Injury prone or not, he's healthy now and he's an elite NHL player available at the moment. How many sellers are there in this league at the moment and who do they have to offer? How many buyers are there at the moment and what are they willing to dish out? same thing can be said for Dustin Penner.(maybe not as elite but very valuable come playoffs)

Old
02-15-2011, 12:02 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Yeah the Versteeg and Fisher trade set the standard. A 1st rounder plus conditional is pushing it unless they equal Boston's 1st round picks.

Hemsky > Versteeg

Hemsky >> Fisher

Injury prone or not, he's healthy now and he's an elite NHL player available at the moment. How many sellers are there in this league at the moment and who do they have to offer? How many buyers are there at the moment and what are they willing to dish out? same thing can be said for Dustin Penner. (maybe not as elite but very valuable come playoffs)
Yeah right,

you know there is more to the game than just stick handing your way out of a legit chance? And then getting injured.

Hemsky is only 2 years younger and does bring NOTHING other than offense more than Fisher. Fisher is 25/25 too so he aint no joke exactly. Injury prone dangler vs. a heart and soul physical 2 way 2nd line center.

I know who I would rather have if I wanna win a cup.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:07 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
Yeah right,

you know there is more to the game than just stick handing your way out of a legit chance? And then getting injured.

Hemsky is only 2 years younger and does bring NOTHING other than offense more than Fisher. Fisher is 25/25 too so he aint no joke exactly. Injury prone dangler vs. a heart and soul physical 2 way 2nd line center.

I know who I would rather have if I wanna win a cup.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:08 AM
4thliner*

What was your point?

Old
02-15-2011, 12:09 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 872
3 first round picks. /sarcasm

Versteeg and Fisher dont carry the puck as much as Hemsky. lame argument to say theyre not injury prone because theyre not puck possession players. on a different team, where other players are doing more work, he might not get injured as often.

id defintely want a 1st and a conditional 2nd at minimum then.
scams, yes? sweet contract though.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

Quote:

thanks for the perfect response to your post.

02-15-2011, 12:11 AM
token grinder

I think edmonton would be smart to wait until deadline day and drive up the price on the teams who are clawing their way to the playoffs. for example, can't tell me that if LA is in 9th and minnesota is in 8th, edm doesn't tell LA minn offered a prospect and a first that LA wouldn't top it.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:16 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
3 first round picks. /sarcasm

Versteeg and Fisher dont carry the puck as much as Hemsky. lame argument to say theyre not injury prone because theyre not puck possession players. on a different team, where other players are doing more work, he might not get injured as often.

id defintely want a 1st and a conditional 2nd at minimum then.
scams, yes? sweet contract though.
Yeah so it's no loss if Edmonton decides to keep Hemsky plus look at the cap space Edmonton have at the moment? maybe Edmonton want to get Hemsky a #1 center in the offseason.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:32 AM
ean

Hemsky would be a good fit for the Kings if he played LW. Kings already got Brown and Williams on the right side right now. However I don't see LA having any trouble unloading their 2011 1st and some other stuff for him.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:36 AM
lakai17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
Hemsky would be a good fit for the Kings if he played LW. Kings already got Brown and Williams on the right side right now. However I don't see LA having any trouble unloading their 2011 1st and some other stuff for him.
and who from LA do you think would be a good fit for Edmonton? and if you're going to say Simmonds, you add two more items that will look good for Edmonton's future, if not then what were you thinking?

Old
02-15-2011, 12:42 AM
ean

Quote:
and who from LA do you think would be a good fit for Edmonton?
I don't really care.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote