HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hemsky now that 2 1sts have been traded

Old
02-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
most def
but is it worth the chance... what if he never shakes it
That's one reason he might be available. I'd warrant that just about every player traded has something that makes them expendable, whether it be age, attitude, health, contract etc. Very good players that have no issues at all are highly coveted and usually kept.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

What I would like to see the Oilers do is trade Hemsky for a top tier prospect + a pick

That top tier prospect should either be a D or a C for obvious reasons.

Come the draft, I would then draft opposite of what I received back from Hemsky in the trade (ie they trade for a top D prospect, they should draft a C)

The only flaw to that is if they trade for a top tier C banking on the fact they should be able to land Larsson, but then unable too, and draft the BPA which ends up being another top tier C... is that a bad thing? Probably not in the small scheme of things right now, and if anything 3-4 years down the road if both (drafted and traded) C's end up being #1 & #2 C's on this team, that would allow us to then move Gagner for a significant piece down the road (assuming Gagner doesn't out perform the top 2 C's)

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 50
Edmonton should try to trade Hemsky, Horcoff, and Penner for 3 1st round picks. I don't know if Horcoff could get a 1st though.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Even tho the Boston Pick will be pretty high I'd think that would be a perfect deal.(IE reasonable) Plus Hemsky would then be on my second favourite team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd be interested in a package of Boston's 1st, Colborne, and maybe another pick (2nd would be ideal but maybe a 3rd would be more realistic?).
Excellent. I'll call Chiarelli.

I have a feeling my fellow Bruins fans would not be behind this but I like it.

02-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I don't think Hemsky is that attractive to teams. He's not a proven playoff performer, actually not a guy built for the playoffs, and has proven to be injury prone. I would save my assets for guys that step up in the post season and can be a difference maker or guy who fills an obvious hole. Hemsky just doesn't fill many holes.
Tough to be a proven playoff performer when the team you are on can't make the playoffs. 17 points in 24 games ain't that bad for the year the Oilers made it to the finals.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBlazer View Post
Edmonton should try to trade Hemsky, Horcoff, and Penner for 3 1st round picks. I don't know if Horcoff could get a 1st though.
Shawn Horcoff is virtually untradeable.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 0
Value has not changes.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:14 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I'd be interested in a package of Boston's 1st, Colborne, and maybe another pick (2nd would be ideal but maybe a 3rd would be more realistic?).
I'd do Colborne & MIN 2nd. Hemsky is a good talent, while he's had trouble staying healthy, I think it's being over exaggerated here. Last season was by far his worse (as far as injury). I'd put him on Seguins' wing & cross my fingers they'd develop good chemistry. Seguin is a shooter, Hemsky a passer, hopefully a perfect fit.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:16 PM
underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
I don't think Hemsky is that attractive to teams. He's not a proven playoff performer, actually not a guy built for the playoffs, and has proven to be injury prone. I would save my assets for guys that step up in the post season and can be a difference maker or guy who fills an obvious hole. Hemsky just doesn't fill many holes.
In 06 playoffs if you asked the opposition, who's the most dangerous Oiler, the one that makes you pay close attention in the defensive zone. I guarantee you most would've said Hemsky. He pretty much beat Detroit in game 6 on his own. Granted that was just one series, but one series on a strong team, could be the cup final. That being said, I really don't want to trade him.

underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:18 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Horcoff isn't worth a 7th.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:19 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post

As a Bruins fan I'm definitely not on board with those deals. I feel Hemsky is too much of an injury risk to spend assets on. He's fairly soft and is a playmaker not a sniper, which Boston would like. If valuable assets were to be traded, I'd hope it'd be for a quality PMD or a sniping forward.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:22 PM
CSimpson18

What's your definition of soft? Most playmaking wingers don't hit. Hemsky has never backed off a play cuz he knew he'd get hit. Most Oiler fans wish he would once in a while. Hemsky will sell out to make a play 10 times out of 10.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:23 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Horton-like return.
Agreed.

CF Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:24 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
Do it for Christine

vCash: 283
Hemsky is being seriously underrated here. He is worth a 1st + Very Good prospect atleast. He's almost a PPG player. If he was healthy, he would be easily worth Blue Chipper + 1st +.

2nd + prospect

Not an Oiler's fan.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:30 PM
ponokanocker

I can't see Pittsburgh interested in trading away picks or prospects for a run this year. Why? Malkin is gone.

As much as I would love to get a top prospect, like Schenn, I just don't see it happening. I think Hemsky could still get a 1st from a team on the bubble (LA, Carolina, Buffalo, NYR, MINN, CLB), plus a decent prospect. Colborne from Boston is an interesting option as well, but the 1st round pick isn't going to be as good from other teams on the bubble. Colborne is a pretty good prospect as well though.

ponokanocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSimpson18 View Post
What's your definition of soft? Most playmaking wingers don't hit. Hemsky has never backed off a play cuz he knew he'd get hit. Most Oiler fans wish he would once in a while. Hemsky will sell out to make a play 10 times out of 10.
By soft I meant Boston already has enough players with injury concerns and Hemsky would only add to that. So it relates to his injury history more than his style of play. He also doesn't show very much confidence in his shot and I wish he would shot more. Ever since he's come into the league he's been a pass first, pass second player. My best friend is an Oilers fan, so I've seen Hemsky play quite often and he's never progressed in his shooting. That's not the type of play IMO that Boston really needs, even though it's an upgrade to them in the skill department.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
8BostonRocker24

From Boston I would offer:

1 of: Colborne, Boston's 1st in 2011, Spooner, Knight
and
1 of: Hamill, Boston's 2nd in 2011

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
I can't see Pittsburgh interested in trading away picks or prospects for a run this year. Why? Malkin is gone.

As much as I would love to get a top prospect, like Schenn, I just don't see it happening. I think Hemsky could still get a 1st from a team on the bubble (LA, Carolina, Buffalo, NYR, MINN, CLB), plus a decent prospect. Colborne from Boston is an interesting option as well, but the 1st round pick isn't going to be as good from other teams on the bubble. Colborne is a pretty good prospect as well though.
He's Boston's #1 prospect (besides Seguin) and is valued higher than a mid-round 1st IMO.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:42 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
He's Boston's #1 prospect (besides Seguin) and is valued higher than a mid-round 1st IMO.
I'm not comparing his value to a mid 1st. I'm saying his value is higher than most other teams top prospects. Boston's 1st is a lower value than say LA's, Caro's, ATL's because they are higher in the standings.
I hope that we are looking at getting a good prospect and a pick in the 15-20 range, a package of Boston's 1st and Colborne may be similar value as Colborne is worth more, but the pick is worth less.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:43 PM
tony d
Summer Camp

To Edmonton:

Milan Michalek
One of David Rundblad/Jared Cowen
2nd round Pick

To Ottawa:

Ales Hemsky

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Trading a player today because you MIGHT be tight against the cap in 3 years is beyond stupid. If in 3 years, all 4 of Omark, Hall, Eberle, and Paajarvi are still here, AND if they've all proven they deserve big raises, AND if those raises are going to put the Oilers into cap trouble (who knows what the cap will be by then), then you can look at moving Penner/Hemsky. Until then, they're probably better off keeping them, rather than trading them for question marks (who, if they're any good, will need new contracts at the same time).

If the Hawks traded Byfuglien, Versteeg, and Ladd 2 years ago because Kane, Toews, Hjarlmarsson, and Keith needed new contracts in 2010, then they wouldn't have had the depth that allowed them to win the cup last year.

Keep the players when you can, and move them when you have to. Even if it means getting a slightly lesser return.
The difference of course being that none of the guys that you mention from the Hawks were UFA's now were they? For all we know Penner and Hemsky want to move and have told Tambo that they will walk on July 1st 2012. Beyond stupid is keeping a team exceptionally deep on the wings while needing centers and defensemen and even worse letting two of your biggest assets walk for nothing in a rebuild, now THAT is well beyond stupid. If both sign for reasonable contracts then you were right, if not IMO you're off base here.

Quote:
Horcoff isn't going anywhere as an impending UFA he'd probably fetch a 2nd round pick, with years on his contract? No one touches him with a 100' pole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejickler View Post

Unfortunately we don't make the deals, that said last that I saw Colborne wasn't doing that great in the AHL, but his size would be a welcomed addition even if he doesn't necessarily play big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'd do Colborne & MIN 2nd. Hemsky is a good talent, while he's had trouble staying healthy, I think it's being over exaggerated here. Last season was by far his worse (as far as injury). I'd put him on Seguins' wing & cross my fingers they'd develop good chemistry. Seguin is a shooter, Hemsky a passer, hopefully a perfect fit.
Well let's see.....

Joe Colborne 54gp. 12-14-26 -16 4-6-10 on the PP, 8-8-16 at ES.

Not exactly earth shattering numbers. So you expect us to give up a 1st line winger on many teams for a struggling kid and a mid 2nd round pick? Looking at this closer it would take Boston's 1st and Minny's 2nd as well as Colborne. The Oilers need a top end prospect or a number of quality picks in this deal. If Colborne were at .75ppg as a 20 year old I could see you getting away with only adding a 2nd, he's not even at .50ppg (.48ppg actually). Unless the Oilers scouts were very high on him I could see them passing on the trade that you proposed.

02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
To Edmonton:

Milan Michalek
2nd round Pick

To Ottawa:

Ales Hemsky
We surely don't need a guy like Michalek but the value is their. I would do a Neil+Cowen+ 2nd for Hemsky

spot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
I know these 2 trades (Fisher and Versteeg) make a playmaking Center like Connolly now worth a 1st for sure.

Odd on Versteeg though.
Burke is like kryptonite to the Leafs roster. I really feel empathy for Leafs Nation now.
They need to get rid of this guy or they may not see the playoffs for another 6 to 8 seasons. It must be scary for them.
Connelly = UFA on 7/1

Versteeg= Under contract for one more year - then RFA

Fisher = Under contract for two more years - then UFA

Those extra years of service are huge when comparing the value to a 25 game rental.
No way that Connelly gets back a 1st rounder.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
To Edmonton:

Milan Michalek
2nd round Pick

To Ottawa:

Ales Hemsky
Not bad although we really have no need for another LW.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:47 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
From Boston I would offer:

1 of: Colborne, Boston's 1st in 2011, Spooner, Knight
and
1 of: Hamill, Boston's 2nd in 2011
Colborne and Hamill would be an interesting deal. Both could be on the Oilers roster next season rather than waiting on a 2011 draft pick to develop.