HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' Subban continues to play his way despite critics

Old
02-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Habs' Subban continues to play his way despite critics

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=353895

I know, I know, yet another Subban thread. I'm only posting the article because it quotes a reaction from Subban, and through most of these 'incidents' we haven't really got to hear his thoughts. I don't mean to vent or complain here, but I hope all this controversy won't affect his game.

Also, check out the Subban videos on the TSN player.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
pine*

I #blamesubban

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Andros777

The city has to get behind this guy.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

This is getting ridiculous. Maybe he has a few details to work out, but every single move he makes is scrutinized. And it's all about controversies, nothing about the fantastic way he's been playing since Gorges went down. Wonder how these things would be reported if he was playing in Phoenix or Nashville.

Last edited by Naoned: 02-14-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: typo
Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:14 PM
Bob Cole
Tom ******* Brady

vCash: 50
**** the haters

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Drunk World Order

This really is ridiculous seriously...This guy is such a nice young kid and if he was Caucasian there would be no issue period. The kid is always smiling from ear to ear has been solid on the ice and is very entertaining to watch. But because he's black and sticks out like a sore thumb...the media is all over him. Shame Shame Shame

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Amputechture

Screw all the people trying to bring PK down...he's the man and I love that he's a hab! Lupul's comments after saturday made me laugh. PK can stick up for himself, so if idiots want to bring it, I'm sure he is ready for the call.

Amputechture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:19 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
This really is ridiculous seriously...This guy is such a nice young kid and if he was Caucasian there would be no issue period. The kid is always smiling from ear to ear has been solid on the ice and is very entertaining to watch. But because he's black and sticks out like a sore thumb...the media is all over him. Shame Shame Shame
Not sure that's the reason, but ok...

Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Imagine if he would play for the Leafs.

Preeeetty sure he would be seen like some demi-God by almost everyone involved with hockey, and his antics would be seen as confidence, force of character and the making of a superstar.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:20 PM
JayBee*

Hope he doesn't let the crap bother him... It's pretty frigging ridiculous though.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amputechture View Post
Screw all the people trying to bring PK down...he's the man and I love that he's a hab! Lupul's comments after saturday made me laugh. PK can stick up for himself, so if idiots want to bring it, I'm sure he is ready for the call.
Lupul is probably trying to win leafs fans. He's just arrived, and already is blaming a Habs player...

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Andros777

I remember every fanbase on this forum was talking about trading for Subban when he ripped up the juniors. They loved seeing it done against Russia and Slovakia but they can't stand seeing it done against their own team.

Bruins fans claim to be a tough throwback team but the minute Subban decks one of their players he has to pay for it by fighting some meatball from their fourth line.

Give me a break.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
According to HF there is no race issue, it's just a fluke that he happens to be a target of such scrutiny.

Racism actually doesn't exist anymore.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Vinc360

It's because he's good, not because he's black. At least I hope so.

It really looks like jealousy to me.

Vinc360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
I doubt very much that its a racial issue, it seems like it is more a combination of things. One part playing in a hockey mecca, two parts playing in a very counter-old school way (in the sense of the enthusiasm gets away from him sometimes) and a dash of being a rookie, and not one predicted to be such a dominant personality in the NHL. I mean, don't get me wrong, there is a subtle racist undertone in Canadian culture, particularly in more rural areas, but it is rarely malicious and doesn't explain why other brash young guns (like Evander Kane for example) haven't gotten the same treatment.

Old
02-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Drunk World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
According to HF there is no race issue, it's just a fluke that he happens to be a target of such scrutiny.

Tell me about it...I wonder if the press in Atlanta are going at the black players on the Thrashers...I doubt it because Atlanta is a predominantly African America city...It really does shock me that people don't see the real issue...With players and there comments about respect and following the code...they might as well say "know your role black kid this is our game!"

Old
02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post

Saying he's targeted for that reason by the media when he does something bad is like saying he's only so popular because he's black. It's ridiculous. Any player like Subban, no matter the color would be discussed a lot in a market like Montreal. The media needs to find something to talk about, and that's why they attack Subban, even when he does no wrong. Just like those idiots that were mad at Price's move.

There is something bright from this though: When the media is too busy blaming Subban for ****, they leave Price alone when he has a bad game. It's like the bad attention is all on Subban now and Price is free. Subban is a real confident kid though, they can't break him.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I'm enjoying every moment of his short career so far. This kid is truly special. It was a long time coming for Montreal to get such an exciting player.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Drunk World Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Saying he's targeted for that reason by the media when he does something bad is like saying he's only so popular because he's black. It's ridiculous. Any player like Subban, no matter the color would be discussed a lot in a market like Montreal. The media needs to find something to talk about, and that's why they attack Subban, even when he does no wrong. Just like those idiots that were mad at Price's move.

There is something bright from this though: When the media is too busy blaming Subban for ****, they leave Price alone when he has a bad game. It's like the bad attention is all on Subban now and Price is free. Subban is a real confident kid though, they can't break him.
I really hope your right...I hope they don't break him and or take a way his playfulness and or lose his smile...He's been amazing in my eyes and has surpassed my expectations...the sky is the limit for PK.

Stay Golden PK...Stay Golden lol

Old
02-14-2011, 08:45 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post

Not by the media specifically just people in general.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:00 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Subban
I just go out there and play hard and work hard for my teammates and the coaching staff.* It's about the Montreal Canadiens.* It's not about me or about anyone else.* It's what's best for the organization.* As long as I keep that in my head and not get sucked into it, I think everything should be fine."
man, is it normal to like what he says that much, or he's got a scripter?

If that's what he really feels, I am so happy to have him aboard. How long do you think he's going to be with us?

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Imagine if he would play for the Leafs.

Preeeetty sure he would be seen like some demi-God by almost everyone involved with hockey, and his antics would be seen as confidence, force of character and the making of a superstar.
TRUTH!!!!!!!!!!! The TSN and CBC guys are sooooooooo pro Toronto, they can't handle the fact of how much the Leafs are a failure and how much Brian Burke is running the Leafs further into the ground by the day. There is no positive in Leaf land so what do they do.......Pick on the Habs at every oppurtunity and especially PK Subban. Like you said, if PK played there he would be Jesus....It is pure jealousy and I love it. I play pick-up hockey with some leaf fans, and all they talk about is PK Subban and how they wish he was a Maple Leaf.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
man, is it normal to like what he says that much, or he's got a scripter?

If that's what he really feels, I am so happy to have him aboard. How long do you think he's going to be with us?
Considering he is loved by the fans, seems to have the support of the coaching staff and grew up cheering for the Habs, I would guess a long time. But you can't really predict that so I simply remain hopeful.

Old
02-14-2011, 09:19 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

Haters gonna hate...flashy rookies

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 09:34 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Subban pisses off Richards: Most rookies would have done that and it would be "getting under his skin". Subban does it, and it's a lack of respect.

Subban slew-foots Duh-binksy: No comment here, Subban made a dumb play, but it was noted as "one of the most dangerous plays in hockey", yet lots of other players do it and it doesn't ignite such a harsh reaction.

Subban scores OT goal and celebrates: Oh no, he over did it. He has no right to be excited and has to apologize for his celebration. Forget the fact that he's young and he's excited, he just should have shrugged, waved and left the ice.

Subban-Lupul: I'm not even getting into this one. Simply put, if you're going to take off your helmet, don't approach your opponent.

I use to think it was all about him being a rookie and that was it. I often brushed off the idea of race being part of the reason, but the more I see crap like this, the more I tend to believe it. Especially when he had to apologize for his celebration. I've seen so many rookies score and celebrate like crazy, yet they don't get scrutinized by the public media.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote