HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' Subban continues to play his way despite critics

Old
02-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Hab-a-maniac

vCash: 500
Guaranteed if one of his bros got drafted by the Leafs and he acted like PK, they'd LOOOOVE him. But the microscope of Toronto would make him even more hated than PK perhaps. I'll love to see the hypocrisy. Most of these teams would love to have him and most fans are forming opinions based on what some highlights tell them and what the media portrays him as. They don't watch enough to know he's more than just some yappy kid. It's funny how guys who mug people like Derek Boogard get less hate. Subban hasn't even driven someone into the boards from behind or delivered a head shot and he's public enemy #1? That's what's wrong with hockey: No "attitude" allowed. Respect is the most overused word in this sport.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Neutrino

PK Subban isn't this or that, he is both...

A black athlete in a completely white sport, in the no.1 city for hockey which is also the only french team in the league, who doesn't want to wait one minute to start showing confidence. You fill in the rest...

When you start adding all those things together the controversy is inevitable. The challenge is huge but if he goes through it with some kind of consistency and his swagger stays intact, he's gonna be a part of Habs history for sure.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:25 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
The kids you're speaking of dont play in Montreal...
The ***** said about Subban, except for the jersey thing, all are coming from non-Montreal media and other from players in the NHL.

All the media in Montreal are more or less in love with him.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:31 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
The ***** said about Subban, except for the jersey thing, all are coming from non-Montreal media and other from players in the NHL.

All the media in Montreal are more or less in love with him.
And why wouldn't they be anyways? The kids going to be our next big thing

Heck he already is, but you know the way people talk about Price how he'll be in 2-3 years from now when he's entering his prime?

Imagine Subban.... kid might one day be Chris Pronger Jr.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:36 AM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
And why wouldn't they be anyways? The kids going to be our next big thing

Heck he already is, but you know the way people talk about Price how he'll be in 2-3 years from now when he's entering his prime?

Imagine Subban.... kid might one day be Chris Pronger Jr.
Though he might become a dominating D, he should be compared to other players than Pronger since they don't play the same game at all. I can't compare him to anyone though, maybe what Ballard was supposed to be.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferiah View Post
There are probably people who don't like him because he is black. There are racist people. But I really dont think most of this is racism. Iginla is a talented black guy. I think it's just some bad comments about him by a few people that caught fire. Combine that with the fact that the media loves him. They love making a topic out of him. Now everytime he makes a flambouyant goal celebration they are ready, not necessarily to pounce on him, but to make it an issue. To start a discussion. Was this goal celebration too much? Etc etc. Cherry and Richards comments were close together. It drew a lot of attention. Then the media does this thing where it keeps asking the questions so that people have it in their mind. Did Subban go overboard here? Is he disrespectful, etc etc? You put the question in people's minds and you are guaranteed that some people are going to say yes yes yes.

This is just something that caught on. And now everyone repeats it whether its true or not. It may go away in a year or two. But he very well could be stuck with this image for a long time. It's not right. But what can you do.
I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss the issue of race when it comes to Subban...saying that race DOES play a factor into, at least what I think is, irrational hate when it comes to Subban DOES NOT necessarily imply racism. Sure race isn't the only factor, but it is a factor...

The NHL and it's fans aren't used to 'flamboyant' personalities, and even less so when those 'flamboyant' personalities are black. I know some of you will rip me for thinking this, but i'm not a fool...i don't have my head stuck in the sand. It's not an issue of racism IMO, it's more an issue of perception.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I don't know why people are so quick to dismiss the issue of race when it comes to Subban...saying that race DOES play a factor into, at least what I think is, irrational hate when it comes to Subban DOES NOT necessarily imply racism. Sure race isn't the only factor, but it is a factor...
I think they are quick to dismiss it because it's a huge accusation against a lot of people based on nothing. I don't think it's a major factor in what we are seeing at all. If it was because he was a talented black player we should be seeing the same thing happening to Iginla.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
The kids you're speaking of dont play in Montreal...
CBC and TSN have done it to Subban, and last time I checked, they are not situated in Montreal.

Furthermore, I remember watching Le Match and seeing the "analysts" praise the youth movement in Colorado and say that it's nice to see the little celebration Duchene and another Avalanche player (can't remember who at this time) do their little celebration dance. Yet the very next night, they say that Subban is a little too cocky, doing that triple low five with Price.

I've also seen the point of Ovechkin celebrating and not being scrutinized on Le Match, to which Cicone said "Yes, but he scores 30-40-50 goals a year, so he's allowed". So that means, if you don't score much, never mind the fact that P.K.'s a defenseman, you have no right to be excited and celebrate. You have to score all kinds of goals before you can do that.

I'm just surprised Montreal media doesn't jump on Cammy. For a guy that does score quite a bit, he doesn't celebrate at all. Why is he not excited? Does he have no passion?

Shawn Wilken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post

The NHL and it's fans aren't used to 'flamboyant' personalities, and even less so when those 'flamboyant' personalities are black. I know some of you will rip me for thinking this, but i'm not a fool...i don't have my head stuck in the sand. It's not an issue of racism IMO, it's more an issue of perception.
Because people hate talking about race so they figure, if they don't try to talk about it..it somehow goes away. It makes people uncomfortable.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
Because people hate talking about race so they figure, if they don't try to talk about it..it somehow goes away. It makes people uncomfortable.
You are presuming to know what people think. I think most people dismiss it because they don't believe it. I may be wrong, but I am basing that on the fact that I am dismissing it, and that is why I am dismissing it. Seems reasonable to assume that others could think the same way. Certainly more reasonable than making an unfounded accusation about people who don't think race has anything to do with it.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:01 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
I think they are quick to dismiss it because it's a huge accusation against a lot of people based on nothing. I don't think it's a major factor in what we are seeing at all. If it was because he was a talented black player we should be seeing the same thing happening to Iginla.
I don't get why people make this argument....

It's like saying "There's no way Craig Berube's racist...besides the Worrell incident, he's never hurled slurs at any other black players".

Maybe Iginla doesn't get any flack because he does things the "white" way. Who knows.

Anyways, I think a lot of people dislike PK because he's frigging good, cocky and plays for the Habs. However, I'd be completely out of touch with society if I didn't think SOME of the attention he gets positive or negative is racially based...

Old
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
You are presuming to know what people think. I think most people dismiss it because they don't believe it. I may be wrong, but I am basing that on the fact that I am dismissing it, and that is why I am dismissing it. Seems reasonable to assume that others could think the same way.
Unfortunately, not everyone thinks like you. I'm sure many do...but many don't. And people generally hate talking about race. It's an uncomfortable topic for many...like religion, politics, sexism, heterosexuality, etc...

Old
02-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Ayatollah Chowmeini

Quote:
quoted for emphasis.

i was thinking last night, and i obviously wasn't around then (i doubt anyone on these boards was), but i'm wondering if maurice richard's hate-on from the rest of the league wasn't somewhat similar. obviously it's not quite the same kind of "race" categorization, but is there any similarities in media-driven perception?

Ayatollah Chowmeini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:06 AM
andy28

Quote:
Anyways, I think a lot of people dislike PK because he's frigging good, cocky and plays for the Habs. However, I'd be completely out of touch with society if I didn't think SOME of the attention he gets positive or negative is racially based...
Of course. It's simple logic. There are racist people. Racist people don't like blacks. Some racist people are hockey fans. So it stands to reason that there are going to be people who do not like him because he is black. But that doesn't make it a major factor in why we are seeing what we are seeing with Subban right now.

Racism is racism. It means you don't like people because of their race. So if it is racism then people would not care if Subban played the "white way". He is still black.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
quoted for emphasis.

i was thinking last night, and i obviously wasn't around then (i doubt anyone on these boards was), but i'm wondering if maurice richard's hate-on from the rest of the league wasn't somewhat similar. obviously it's not quite the same kind of "race" categorization, but is there any similarities in media-driven perception?
For sure. The whole soft euro thing perpetuated by the media... Soft French players. The media has done a great job.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Of course. It's simple logic. There are racist people. Racist people don't like blacks. Some racist people are hockey fans. So it stands to reason that there are going to be people who do not like him because he is black. But does that make it a major factor in why we are seeing what we are seeing with Subban right now.
I think it's a combination of many things.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
This really is ridiculous seriously...This guy is such a nice young kid and if he was Caucasian there would be no issue period. The kid is always smiling from ear to ear has been solid on the ice and is very entertaining to watch. But because he's black and sticks out like a sore thumb...the media is all over him. Shame Shame Shame
+1

There are plenty of other brash young players who get absolutely zero criticism. I can't help thinking that NHL rednecks are not 100% colour blind.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Pleky Roks

I hope PK never changes a thing about his game!!! I love watching him play. He works hard, plays hard and does it all with a smile on his face most of the time. Anybody who gives him a hard time, i just jealous that their team doesn't have a young player thats as good as Subban.

It drives me nuts that a guy like Mike Richards, who came into the league injuring people and running around worse than Subban did, makes a comment about Subban having no respect for anybody and people actually believe it. Subban is one of the most exciting players in the NHL right now.....and he's a frigging rookie!!!

Subban is playing fine in his first full season with the Habs. He is still making some rookie mistakes once in a while, but for the most part his play makes him look like a seasoned veteran.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
habsjunkie2*

I would say there are some racial overtones. People would never admit to it on their own, in fact they may not even know why they hate him themselves, but they know they do.

I'm not sure what there is not to like about the kid tbh. He's skilled, he's modest and thoughtful during interviews, he's consantly smiling, he's not afraid to chuck the knuckles from time to time to stick up for himself or his teammates. He does things in the community already. He plays his ass off every shift.

He'd be hated either way, just from being a Hab, but I doubt if he was white every second article would be about how he hasn't acted the way he's suppose to, according to who? He's done exactly as he should imo. I hope he doesn't change a thing.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
quoted for emphasis.

He was good, flashy, opiniated and played for the Habs.

Why is there no hate for the other black players in the league and only PK?

(hint - the answer's in my first sentence)

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:18 AM
andy28

Quote:
I think it's a combination of many things.
I do too. I would even say that for most people who hate subban its a combination of things. But for most of those people who dislike him I would say that does not come into the equation.

I think he has just gotten way too much attention.

I don't think the media in general hates him. The critics are always louder than the people who support him. People notice the negative. But I think the media is a huge factor because they keep using him to create discussion. After that overtime goal, the guy interviewing JM never said Subban was over the top. He just asked the question. I think he did that because he knows its the sort of thing some people may complain about from Subban. But asking the question has the effect if putting in people's heads.

Old
02-15-2011, 11:20 AM
katatoniak

The thing I like about PK is he's still saying that he will not change. And I hope he keeps it like that. Dont change PK!

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:22 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
quoted for emphasis.

It was the 50's. I am sorry to teach you that, buddy, but the "race" issue was still strongly present against the French-Canadian back then.

Obviously, it was never actually mentionned as motivation of all the flak Maurice got. Nanah.. it was because he was arrogant, cocky. Somebody needed to "put him in his place", that was the talk said around the NHL at the time.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:23 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by katatoniak View Post
The thing I like about PK is he's still saying that he will not change. And I hope he keeps it like that. Dont change PK!
I don't think there is anything he could change. I mean. All of the stuff said about him isn't true anyways. So how could he change it. I don't find him especially flamboyant. I think he is really positive and a happy guy. But nothing he does seems any different anyways. Like his goal celebration was no different than a million others. No one talks about Briere. Actually Briere doesnt bother me.

On another note, I wonder why no one talks about Lucic. Is it just me or does that guy annoy you all too? And his goal celebrations in particular. They are not particularly flashy, but you know he has that look on his face like he thinks he's all that. Now theres a guy I would like to see put in his place.

Last edited by andy28: 02-15-2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old
02-15-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
It's different with Iginla for alot of reasons...the two personalities (not to mention skin tones) are at two completely different ends of the spectrum.

I also don't think race is a 'major' factor in terms of what we're seeing with Subban, though I guess you can say that whenever race plays into the equation, it is a major (but we're getting into semantics here) factor.

Let's not kid ourselves...the reason why Subban gets so much attention in the media in Canada, is the same reason guys like Owens, Ochocinco, Deion Sanders (when he played) LBJ etc also get alot of attention in the US. They are flamboyant, seemingly self-absorbed, quote worthy and to top it off, are extremely good at what they do. Just so happens they're also black...nothing wrong with that, just how it is.

Now Jarome Iginla, despite also being part black...does not share anything in common with those players. Jarome Iginla is like the typical Canadian hockey fan/player (and there's also nothing wrong with that)...

PK Subban however, I think the typical hockey fan/player associates him more with guys like Owens, Ochocinco, LBJ, etc...and the typical hockey fan/player just doen't relate to that type of athelete.

Again, it's a question of perception...PK Subban is perceived to be a certain way based on alot of pre-conceived notions (whether we care to admit it or not, we all have them) and that's resulted in the amount of scrutiny he's gotten because this type of athlete has not yet crossed over to the NHL....the quotable, flashy/flamboyant athelete is still a rarity in the NHL...

417 is online now   Reply With Quote