HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alberts out, Sauve called up

Old
02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
biturbo19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
The problem with calling up Sauve is they won't play him - from all reports, he is barely adequate for the AHL right now - the rest of the D will play tons of minutes with their risk of injury increasing.

Almost certainly better off medium term to put Burrows back there or emergency signing Flood, who has played in the NHL and is on the top pairing on the Moose.

Minutes need to be more balanced..
you actually believe that moving Burrows back to play defence would be a better option than calling up a dedicated defenceman like Sauve?

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

six more games left until the trade deadline, by then we may inch closer to clinching a playoff spot..lets see if this defense can hold fort.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:31 AM
Invictus146

Who bought voodoo dolls for our defence...

Don't know whether to laugh or cry

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:33 AM
whoshouse

I'm surprised they didn't call up Paetsch

whoshouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:35 AM
DFAC

I'm seriously beginning to think Gillis had a lengthy affair with the Hockey Gods' wives. All of them. Every single one of them...even the not so good lookin' ones.

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

Okay, I am firmly convinced the hockey gods are Chicago fans. I almost feel sorry if we trade for a defenseman. The poor guy is going to be horrified he might end up on the injury list.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:11 AM
xtra

Hey guys lets remember that we can always put a player on LTIR retroactively. so if ballard comes back early we are fine if he is out 10 games and 4 weeks we can put him on it retroactively. Lets see what this team is going to do. if they are back and we add peices this could be a blessing in disguise as save for hamhuis we know roughly when they will be back

xtra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:21 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
Ballard's apparently ahead of schedule so he should be back soon. Hamhuis might be back soon too. Hopefully one or both will be back before the next road trip in early March.
Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard it before. But where did you hear/read that?

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
Hey guys lets remember that we can always put a player on LTIR retroactively. so if ballard comes back early we are fine if he is out 10 games and 4 weeks we can put him on it retroactively. Lets see what this team is going to do. if they are back and we add peices this could be a blessing in disguise as save for hamhuis we know roughly when they will be back
How does that help?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:15 AM
Tiranis

For those worried about Sauve, he has been pretty good with the Moose on the whole, I think he's going to keep getting better as he adjusts but also as he gets up to speed after his injury something that all of the Moose reports never mention. We've seen this with so many players, including Burrows this season missing training camp is a big deal, it takes most players quite a while to get back to top form. He's a very smooth skater and is 6'3 and 220lbs, so at least in that regard he won't get overwhelmed at the higher level.

It was between him, Oberg, and Connauton. Easy choice. (And Flood plays the right side, not sure we want 5 guys that prefer to play on the right. That's beyond the simple fact of not having him signed or not wanting to use up a contract spot on him.)

Last edited by Tiranis: 02-15-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't heard it before. But where did you hear/read that?
I believe Jason Botchford tweeted that earler during the game. I'm pretty sure he said that the reason ballard was not on LTIR was because he is healing quickly...

i dunno.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:19 AM
canada1824

Send a message via Skype™ to canada1824
head meets desk
repeatedly

canada1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
you actually believe that moving Burrows back to play defence would be a better option than calling up a dedicated defenceman like Sauve?
Absolutely

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Absolutely
You can't be serious. Even the best defensive forwards have trouble playing defence during PP when they're on point, they make so many mistakes it's not even funny. Now imagine that they're actually playing defence at even strength for 10 minutes. It's a lot more difficult than you seem to think.

Unless Burrows has actually played as a defenceman in the past 10 years, that's just a recipe for disaster.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:05 PM
NuxFan09

I think we can all just write the rest of the season off. This is just tragic. Our D - which was supposed to be one of the deepest, sturdiest, and best in the league - has been completely annihilated.

I don't plan on shedding a single tear for any other team that deals with injuries.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
I think we can all just write the rest of the season off. This is just tragic. Our D - which was supposed to be one of the deepest, sturdiest, and best in the league - has been completely annihilated.

I don't plan on shedding a single tear for any other team that deals with injuries.
What's ridiculous is that Edler, Hamhuis, Ballard, and Alberts are not injury prone players. How can they possibly all get injured in the same year for a lengthy period of time? Everybody knows about Salo and, hell, Bieksa wouldn't surprise me, but those guys?

Native Burial Grounds, all I can come up with.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:13 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Absolutely
thats insane.

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:15 PM
timorousme
luongod

and this season isn't a write-off till thrse injuries start occuring in the playoffs.

we have a nice cushion on the division, who cares about lost regular season points?

Old
02-15-2011, 12:25 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
and this season isn't a write-off till thrse injuries start occuring in the playoffs.

we have a nice cushion on the division, who cares about lost regular season points?
I meant the rest of the regular season.

On a side note:

I kind of got a chuckle out of AV in his post game scrum last night. After he informed the media that Yann Sauve would be called up from the AHL as a result of the Alberts injury, there's kind of a bit of an awkward silence and then he just starts to laugh a bit. Seems like he's reacting to this situation just like us; the whole thing is getting so bad it's just humorous.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Or, new plan, we can play the games, come up a little better than .500 and win the conference and go into the playoffs with an almost completely healthy lineup.

It's the regular season, if we didn't have to play it just to make the playofffs, I might be inclined to skip it altogether.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
timorousme
luongod

well who cares about the regular season

Old
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
StrictlyCommercial

To: Vancouver Canucks
RE: Job opening

Dear Mr. Gillis,

I understand you are currently shortstaffed and looking for additional personnel. I am a smooth skating stay at home [no offensive talent whatsoever] defenseman. I have previous experience playing with NHL defensemen [in peewee] and believe this experience will help me succeed in your organization. I am willing to work for the minimum salary that your organization can offer [$500,000].

Thank you for your consideration of my application.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by timorousme View Post
well who cares about the regular season
I'm tired of this myth that the regular season doesn't matter. Just because you hear the players saying things like "We don't get caught up in all the regular season stuff" doesn't mean the regular season isn't important.

Personally, I believe the Canucks' chances of success in the playoffs are greater if they roll into the playoffs on a high note, which is kind of obvious if you think about it a bit. If you think the Canucks can limp into the playoffs (if in fact they do struggle the rest of the way, not saying it's going to happen) and suddenly turn a switch and become dominant, you're terribly naive.

Old
02-15-2011, 12:54 PM
Karl Hungus

I see Gillis just waiting this stretch of bad luck out. No need to make a move or anything drastic. I think we'll just rotate our various defensive prospects through the lineup and see if players like Rome can up their game when given a larger role.

If Sauve is getting called up I would not be surprised to see Connauton get a few games as well before the regulars start to fill out the blueline again. Gillis, the former agent, has done a good job of getting many players a little taste of the big club. In just a week or two they can make a year's salary in AHL.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarok View Post
Flood isn't signed with the Canucks and all other Moose defencemen with NHL experience are waiver-eligible. At this point, the only viable options are Sauve and Connauton.
So sign him. There is room to add a contract.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote