HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-NY Islanders

Old
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Chicago-NY Islanders

Chicago
Frans Nielsen
Mark Streit

New York
1st Rd. CHI 2011
2nd Rd. ATL 2011
2nd Rd. CGY 2011

This is wayyy outside the box, so bear with me. For the Isles, they get 3 high draft picks for a couple veteran players. Isles fans, let me know if value is right. For the Hawks, they get Nielsen to play 3rd line C; Bolland moves up, or vice versa depending on who is hot. Now, the coup for the Hawks. If Streit can be back for the playoffs, and I don't see any reason why he couldn't with the amount of recovery time he will have had, the Hawks can add him to the roster without having him count against the cap. The only part I'm not sure about is if players retain their IR status even in trade and up until activation. I can't remember what happened with Sturm when he was dealt, but this could be a major forward thinking move by the Hawks that could secure another Cup. In the offseason, we trade Hjalmarsson and Streit takes his spot.

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Frolik-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Nielsen-Brouwer
Kopecky-Dowell-Pisani

Keith-Seabrook
Streit-Campbell
Hjalmarsson-Leddy

Crawford
Turco

Better than last years Cup winner?? Quite possibly.

Last edited by coldsteelonice84: 02-15-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Changed 3rd TOR to 2nd CGY
coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:31 AM
The Wayner

vCash: 500
I would imagine NY would be all over this. Not sure if you can trade a player on the LTIR though. Makes an interesting CHI lineup, and an interesting NYI draft (again). The way Snow has been drafting, these picks could be very nice.

The Wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
goal1228

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wayner View Post
I would imagine NY would be all over this. Not sure if you can trade a player on the LTIR though. Makes an interesting CHI lineup, and an interesting NYI draft (again). The way Snow has been drafting, these picks could be very nice.

Isles pass big time

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think the 3rd should be another 2nd, but I doubt this will happen

I would help us when we trade Campbell away, Streit would get his spot and is the cheaper version. But all this won't happen (and no, I don't want to start how to get Campbells contract away)

and Isles Fans, there is no way you can get Olsen, Leddy, Beach, Morin or Krüger (I know this will come up as topic)

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:36 AM
On Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Chicago
Frans Nielsen
Mark Streit

New York
1st Rd. CHI 2011
2nd Rd. ATL 2011
3rd Rd. TOR 2011

This is wayyy outside the box, so bear with me. For the Isles, they get 3 high draft picks for a couple veteran players. Isles fans, let me know if value is right. For the Hawks, they get Nielsen to play 3rd line C; Bolland moves up, or vice versa depending on who is hot. Now, the coup for the Hawks. If Streit can be back for the playoffs, and I don't see any reason why he couldn't with the amount of recovery time he will have had, the Hawks can add him to the roster without having him count against the cap. The only part I'm not sure about is if players retain their IR status even in trade and up until activation. I can't remember what happened with Sturm when he was dealt, but this could be a major forward thinking move by the Hawks that could secure another Cup. In the offseason, we trade Hjalmarsson and Streit takes his spot.

Sharp-Toews-Kane
Frolik-Bolland-Hossa
Bickell-Nielsen-Brouwer
Kopecky-Dowell-Pisani

Keith-Seabrook
Streit-Campbell
Hjalmarsson-Leddy

Crawford
Turco

Better than last years Cup winner?? Quite possibly.

Big fat NO

On Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:37 AM
twentytwo

Naaaaah.

twentytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:45 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

Not a chance. Streit goes nowhere.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:51 AM
umwoz

Offense starts from the back end. And the Islanders have 1 puck mover....

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:52 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Offense starts from the back end. And the Islanders have 1 puck mover....
Yes, but Streit is 33 and the Isles are in a long term rebuild.

Old
02-15-2011, 09:57 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
Which is why he is important, you need a superb veteran to play with all of the youngsters.

Nielsen is going no where either, his cap hit is stellar, and has been fantastic with Grabner and Okposo. Frans to me is our most versatile player, not too mention if he had more goals his name could come up as a selke candidate.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:58 AM
wej20

Quote:
Just because they're in a long term rebuild doesn't mean you get rid of all your vets, Streit can teach the young Islanders dmen a lot.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Islesny91

Quote:
Regardless there's not enough value for streit and franzy. Despite their place in the standings, some isles fan feel they r closer to a playoff spot then a lottery pick next season, barring they stay healthy. The rebuild needs to end sometime. The isles have enough young pieces to move forward to start adding vets

Islesny91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
redbull
Expect more

horrible, almost ZERO value for the NYI!

Nielsen is a gem of a hockey player, effective in all zones and has one of the best contracts in hockey from a cap perspective. Plus he's centering the top line in hockey right now (yes, with Pavel Grabner and Kyle Okposo).

Streit, albeit injured and missed the whole year, is the best Isles dman by a mile. It would be ridiculous for them to trade him. He's hardly old, he's got at least 5 strong seasons ahead of him and I don't see any #1 dmen ready to jump in and replace him, not internally (anytime soon) nor via trade/UFA.

So those are two players pretty close to "untouchable" (if there is such a thing for a perennial lottery team)

I can see why teams would ask for Nielsen but I'm fairly sure he won't be traded.

I think Comeau might be a good fit for Chicago. He may be expendable with the emergence of Grabner and the re-signing of Moulson. I hope the Islanders keep him but he's a lot like Versteeg, whom I believe Chicago really misses.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wayner View Post
Non-Isles fans need to really do their homework if these are the thoughts.

Nielsen is on track as a future Selke-award winner w/emerging offensive capabilities. Rated the most under-rated player in the NHL by his peers... wasn't an accident.

Streit is an all-star Dman.

That said, does a late round 1st and a few 2nds really sound like fair value?

That package wouldn't get you Streit and I just might get you Nielsen.... forget both.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
99 steps
to the top

No way in hell the Isles do this.

99 steps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Just because they're in a long term rebuild doesn't mean you get rid of all your vets, Streit can teach the young Islanders dmen a lot.

Streit's 33, not an invalid. He's an all-star calibre Dman.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:15 AM
coldsteelonice84

We could make the deal just for Streit. It would go down as one of the most amazing cap circumventions in the history of sports, but I guess Isles would rather him play out his contract for a non-playoff team than get good assets for him.

Old
02-15-2011, 10:17 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

You want Streit and Nielsen? okay. Counter proposal.

Streit and Nielsen.

Hossa+

Riseonfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:19 AM
BennyBST

Quote:
We could make the deal just for Streit. It would go down as one of the most amazing cap circumventions in the history of sports, but I guess Isles would rather him play out his contract for a non-playoff team than get good assets for him.
When he's healthy he's usually our best player...all the reason not to trade him regardless, he's more valuable to us at this point than a 1st rounder would be. I'd say we could consider trading him if MacDonald and Hamonic reached their full potential and Eaton and Mottau were healthy.. But even in that situation Streit isn't going anywhere.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
xECK29x

Nielsen isn't going anywhere, neither is Streit. We do not need picks that badly we are not that early in this rebuild anymore. We need bodies.

xECK29x is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:23 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

What are you drunk? Neilsen is the centerpiece of his line right now, is one of the premier shut down centers in the game, and is only 25 years old. Streit is our best defenseman, a Norris candidate if he can put together a season comparable to two years ago, and will help bring along players like Travis Hamonic and Macdonald when he returns to the lineup. Jesus.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Riddick

this is a horrible proposal. streit is worth that at least, neilsen gets thrown in for free?

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:53 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Nielsen isn't going anywhere, neither is Streit. We do not need picks that badly we are not that early in this rebuild anymore. We need bodies.
This. Before Streit and Okposo went down to long term injuries pre-season, the clear goal of this year's team was to make the playoffs, and they certainly could have attained that. Those injuries combined with quite a few others along the way gimped this season pretty badly, but the pieces are in place, the cap space is there waiting to be used. If Garth Snow and Charles Wang want to push this team beyond just making the playoffs next season, there is every opportunity for that.

I do believe roster players may get dealt, but if they do it will be to bring back other roster players that fits this team's needs, not for picks. And the roster players that could be traded won't include Streit, and I very much doubt that Nielsen would be traded, especially with the chemistry he's built with Grabner making that a very effective line right now for the Isles at even strength and shorthanded.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
hell no.

Kevin27nyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:11 AM
kasper11

The goal of the Islanders is to make the playoffs next season. They will not be able to replace Streit and Nielsen this offseason, especially for a combined cap hit of under $5M. Therefore, there is no need to trade them unless the offer was so overwhelming as to be impossible to turn down.

And for those of you snickering about the Isles making the playoffs next season, consider this: the Isles had one of the worst stretches in history, winning just 1 of 22 games. Outside of that stretch, the Isles are over .500 and would be a playoff team. This is without Streit, their best defenseman for the entire season, and without Eaton and Mottau, their #5&6 dmen, for most of the season.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote