Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

The All-Encompassing Minnesota Pro Sports Thread I

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2011, 10:17 PM
Dee Oh Cee

vCash: 500
At least the Twins losing now makes sense...see their lineup and bench? Seriously for today's game our bench consisted of Casilla, Butera, and Tosoni. NO options late in the game. dear god.

Old
05-09-2011, 11:37 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

And we're back to being the worst team in baseball. Woo.

Old
05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Revere short-hopped a throw to the cut-off man last night... I'm not sure I've ever seen that from a MLB outfielder.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
05-10-2011, 09:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
The most painful part of last night's loss was when the Twins had 2 on, 1 out, and the 2 and 3 spots coming up. I had just turned the game on, so imagine my shock when the number 2 hitter was Tolbert, all .167 of him, 0 for 4 in the game. Of course he whiffed. Shock turned to dismay when #3 hitter ended up being Casilla. Inning over.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:15 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

With the new proposed Viking stadium coming in at over 1 billion, it'll be interested to see what it looks like once it passes through legislature if it's built...

Old
05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
With the new proposed Viking stadium coming in at over 1 billion, it'll be interested to see what it looks like once it passes through legislature if it's built...
I think it'll be a beaut. It's going to be awesome to do real tailgating at a Vikes game. I guess I've just always enjoyed getting drunk in public parking lots before noon. Anyone ponder a guess at the stadium will be called? I'm thinking they're gonna honor tradition and call it Target Stadium.

Old
05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Why are new stadiums so absurdly expensive? The X was only $130 million (about $163M with inflation), and it still holds up as one of the top three sports stadiums in the country (per ESPN) a decade later.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Why are new stadiums so absurdly expensive? The X was only $130 million (about $163M with inflation), and it still holds up as one of the top three sports stadiums in the country (per ESPN) a decade later.

The retractable roof alone will cost $100+ million.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:21 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

It seems like in the past five years or so the notion of a reasonably-priced stadium has just gone completely down the toilet. You sort of wonder if Quebec would have an NHL arena by now if their plans didn't cost $400M--or, as I like to think of it, three Xcel Centers.

Old
05-10-2011, 06:22 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
does this mean that as a resident of Ramsey county I'm going to feel kicked in the nuts?

Old
05-11-2011, 01:06 AM
CT*
WOLF GANG

So I would consider myself a pretty casual Twins fan, I watch most games I can but I am having a really hard time this season...

what the f happened to this team

Old
05-11-2011, 08:41 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Size compared to an arena, site cleanup/infrastructure, retractable roof, price of materials (i.e. steel) have skyrocketed, workers cost, etc. etc.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT View Post
So I would consider myself a pretty casual Twins fan, I watch most games I can but I am having a really hard time this season...

what the f happened to this team
1. Injuries. With a lack of depth, we're forced to play the likes to Tolbert, Butera etc. on a regular basis instead of actual legitimate MLB players like Mauer, Nishi, Young(maybe) etc etc.

2. Our pitching has imploded. Last year, with Liriano's dominance, and a Pavano's bounce back year, we were able to string together a pretty decent starting rotation. With Liriano being a mental midget, and his performances going through the crapper, Pavano being shaky, Duensing and Blackburn being erratic, it gives us no consistency. Baker is the only pitcher in the starting rotation who's actually playing semi-consistent.

3. Gardenhire. I'm almost done with Gardenhire. His preference to keep certain type of players over others is mind boggling. His insistence of keeping Casilla of Hardy, due to 'speed on basepaths' was a terrible, terrible decision. While Hardy is injured, when he's back, he's so much better than Casilla in nearly all aspects of the game.

Ugh, I'm hoping we turn it around, but it's looking more and more likely that we wont.

If we don't turn it around, I do hope we shed some serious salary at the deadline to try get some money to spend in the off season. Kubel, Cuddy, Blackie(if anyone takes him), Nathan(see Blackie) and possibly Young if his attitude is as bad as it seems. (but definitely not a huge problem)

That opens around ~30 million in salary between Cuddy, Kubel, Nathan and Blackie.

05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

With how banged-up the Twins have been, they might need to restart the "get to know them" ad campaign. I mean Valencia was the 3rd most-recognized guy on the field at the end of Monday's game and he hasn't played a full season.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:21 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
1. Injuries. With a lack of depth, we're forced to play the likes to Tolbert, Butera etc. on a regular basis instead of actual legitimate MLB players like Mauer, Nishi, Young(maybe) etc etc.

2. Our pitching has imploded. Last year, with Liriano's dominance, and a Pavano's bounce back year, we were able to string together a pretty decent starting rotation. With Liriano being a mental midget, and his performances going through the crapper, Pavano being shaky, Duensing and Blackburn being erratic, it gives us no consistency. Baker is the only pitcher in the starting rotation who's actually playing semi-consistent.

3. Gardenhire. I'm almost done with Gardenhire. His preference to keep certain type of players over others is mind boggling. His insistence of keeping Casilla of Hardy, due to 'speed on basepaths' was a terrible, terrible decision. While Hardy is injured, when he's back, he's so much better than Casilla in nearly all aspects of the game.

Ugh, I'm hoping we turn it around, but it's looking more and more likely that we wont.

If we don't turn it around, I do hope we shed some serious salary at the deadline to try get some money to spend in the off season. Kubel, Cuddy, Blackie(if anyone takes him), Nathan(see Blackie) and possibly Young if his attitude is as bad as it seems. (but definitely not a huge problem)

That opens around ~30 million in salary between Cuddy, Kubel, Nathan and Blackie.
Kubel is hitting .347. He is the only player on the team above .300, and D-Span's the only other player above .250. I really don't get how Kubel is "weight we need to shed."
Edit: He's 4th in the AL for BA.

Also, Matt Capps is a colossal failure.

Last edited by llamapalooza: 05-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old
05-11-2011, 03:40 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Also, Matt Capps is a colossal failure.
Even more so when you look and see what Ramos is doing...

Old
05-11-2011, 03:43 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Even more so when you look and see what Ramos is doing...
I would certainly rather have him behind the plate every day than Butera.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:49 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Old
05-11-2011, 03:50 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Why'd I turn the game back on..why?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:53 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Capps: 1.2 IP, 4 ER.

Blows the save in the 8th, and then gives the Tigers a 2-run lead in the 9th.

Old
05-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

At least we have another team that we can compare to the Timberwolves as Minnesota's all-embarrassment team. Sad thing is that the Twins are the only team of our four major sports to actually win a championship. Something's gotta give, eh?

Old
05-11-2011, 03:57 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

One of the many reasons why Bill Smith is the worst GM in baseball. Please get rid of this clown before he destroys this organization further.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
One of the many reasons why Bill Smith is the worst GM in baseball. Please get rid of this clown before he destroys this organization further.
PA says that you're not an elite baseball mind if you think Smith is bad.. Apparently Capps for Ramos was widely applauded around the league.. Absolutely no way the Twinks make the playoffs this year. So I guess PA isn't an elite baseball mind either since he predicted a 2011 World Series win at the beginning of the 2010 season.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:04 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I would say we should send Capps to Rochester, but that would just mean he'd be called up in a week anyway.

Old
05-11-2011, 04:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The only thing more entertaining than a championship is a complete and unexpected meltdown.

Closed Thread