HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mike Komisarek (Deadline)

Old
02-15-2011, 03:20 PM
DG

vCash: 500
Reason for Komisarek to be moved: simple.

Actually finding a way to move Komisarek: far from simple.

The Leafs can't afford to be paying him 4.5M... no kidding. But that doesn't mean anyone else can (or remotely wants to).

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Simple really... with Aulie's emergence, Toronto has to move him. They can't be spending $4.5m for a defenceman to grossly underachieve on the 3rd pair of a team where he's a major misfit, and when they have 3 younger guys (2 of whom are cheaper, the other is the captain) who play his role. The Beauchemin deal is also a good framework, treating Komisarek as Lupul.
The bold is why nobody else will take him either...

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
The bold is why nobody else will take him either...
He would be a much more useful defenceman to quite a few other teams.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:25 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Axel View Post
To CAR:
D Mike Komisarek

To TOR:
F Sergei Samsonov (UFA at season's end)
2011 3rd Round Pick

I think Komi could fit very well in Carolina. They're a team in contention, little to no media pressure and with Pitkanen, Gleason and Corvo, he probably won't have play huge minutes.
Deal. Please just take him.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
If Burke were offered that, he'd be a complete fool to turn it down. Samsonov is 100% irrelevant (bury him if you don't like him, don't even bother talking contract with him), and a 3rd round pick is well, something of some positive value.

That would also allow the Canes to move Ian White and problably get themselves a 2nd rounder, or if Pitkanen won't resign, move him to get a 1st rounder.
Exactly, this is my reasoning behind it. If we were to do that deal, first it would rid us of Samsonov and allow for us to play Boychuk (who should be playing anyways). Then we could move White for more than what we gave up to get Komisarek. Next year his salary is 5 million, but after that his salary drops to 3.5 million (which is not too bad). Carolina is not really worried about the cap hits, they're more worried about the actual salary numbers.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DG

Quote:
Maybe (although I debate "quite a few").

But that doesn't mean that any of those teams are prepared to use that much of their cap space to make it happen.

I'll take Carkner (under 1M) or Andy Sutton (over 2M) any day even considering the improvement going from one of them to Komi.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Quote:
@Spasmic Dan, there's no point in waiting longer with Komisarek. He's not going to regain his form unless he plays in the top 4 with a puckmover. That's not going to happen with Schenn and Phaneuf here.
I don't disagree. I just meant that we probably won't have much of a choice tradewise and for some reason I can't see Burke burying Komisarek.

If we don't acquire a top 4 puckmover in the offseason and Kaberle is definitely gone we're in trouble on the back end. Again.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmic Dan View Post
I don't disagree. I just meant that we probably won't have much of a choice tradewise and for some reason I can't see Burke burying Komisarek.

If we don't acquire a top 4 puckmover in the offseason and Kaberle is definitely gone we're in trouble on the back end. Again.
Do you mean because he's the one that signed Komisarek? He's already buried Finger and his $3.5M/yr cap hit in the minors.

kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
I'd be very interested in hearing which teams would place a high value on, your words, "grossly underachieving 3rd pair misfit" of a defenseman....at 4.5 mil.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:35 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Maybe (although I debate "quite a few").

But that doesn't mean that any of those teams are prepared to use that much of their cap space to make it happen.

I'll take Carkner (under 1M) or Andy Sutton (over 2M) any day even considering the improvement going from one of them to Komi.
That may be the case, but if that team is looking at sending an undesirable contract to Toronto, it all of a sudden becomes more attractive. Just like we'd be willing to take on an overpaid player at a position of need by sending an overpaid player at a position of strength.

Carkner & Sutton are both incapable of playing top 4 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasmic Dan View Post

Even if Burke wanted to bury Komisarek, he couldn't use the majority of his capspace until October of next year.

Quote:
Exactly, this is my reasoning behind it. If we were to do that deal, first it would rid us of Samsonov and allow for us to play Boychuk (who should be playing anyways). Then we could move White for more than what we gave up to get Komisarek. Next year his salary is 5 million, but after that his salary drops to 3.5 million (which is not too bad). Carolina is not really worried about the cap hits, they're more worried about the actual salary numbers.
In a perfect world. what I'd like to see:

To Carolina:
Mike Komisarek, Jerry D'Amigo (project winger), Juraj Mikus (project defenceman), 3rd Rounder (Philadelphia)

To Toronto:
Ian White, Sergei Samsonov

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor7777 View Post
I'd be very interested in hearing which teams would place a high value on, your words, "grossly underachieving 3rd pair misfit" of a defenseman....at 4.5 mil.
Pretty much any team that needs a top 4 stay-at-home physical guy would value Komisarek higher than Toronto.

Old
02-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
That may be the case, but if that team is looking at sending an undesirable contract to Toronto, it all of a sudden becomes more attractive. Just like we'd be willing to take on an overpaid player at a position of need by sending an overpaid player at a position of strength.

Carkner & Sutton are both incapable of playing top 4 minutes.

Even if Burke wanted to bury Komisarek, he couldn't use the majority of his capspace until October of next year.

To Carolina:
Mike Komisarek, Jerry D'Amigo (project winger), Juraj Mikus (project defenceman), 3rd Rounder (Philadelphia)

To Toronto:

Pretty much any team that needs a top 4 stay-at-home physical guy would value Komisarek higher than Toronto.
Yea , no. Send him to the minors if contract is a burden. No need to burn two good prospects.

No they wouldn't, because that's not what he is. He is an overpaid bottom pairing d.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
The Hulk

I really wouldnt mind Tampa getting him.

The Hulk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally posted by jfried

To Carolina:

To Toronto:
I think we've got a deal.

You could probably drop Mikus and I'd still do it.

Brock Anton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
Spazmatic Dan
Force Beyond Measure

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Do you mean because he's the one that signed Komisarek? He's already buried Finger and his $3.5M/yr cap hit in the minors.
Yes, because he signed him and because he has expressed confidence in Komi in the past. He might change his stance of course but I'm having a hard time envisioning it at the moment.

Quote:
True. If Burke wants to re-allocate Komisarek's capspace to a more pressing need (i.e. forward or puck mover....or maybe even goalie) this offseason he would either have to trade him or waive him at the deadline and hope he gets picked up.

Spazmatic Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

Komisarek for Gomez

and then we send this ***** ass down to Hamilton

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Beerfish

A Leaf supporter proposed this on the Oilers forums: Most Oiler fans scoffed at it but I would do it very quickly.

Komisarek, Orr, Bozak for Horcoff

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:47 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrashekhar Limit View Post
Yea , no. Send him to the minors if contract is a burden. No need to burn two good prospects.

No they wouldn't, because that's not what he is. He is an overpaid bottom pairing d.
Teams cannot assign players to the minors in the offseason. Teams can only exceed the cap by 10% ($6m) in the offseason. Finger counts against the cap in the offseason which menas that $3.5m of that $6m is already spoken for.

Komisarek is perfectly capable of being a top 4 defenceman.

Quote:
I think we've got a deal.

You could probably drop Mikus and I'd still do it.
Mikus would be in there because Toronto has 2 puckmoving defencemen (both high pedigree prospects, Gardiner and Blacker) joining the AHL team next year and doesn't have room to develop a project like Mikus next year.

Old
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
mohare

say what you want about Komisarek, but IF we move Kaberle who on earth is going fill 2 holes in our defense? Aulie was the only AHL defenseman that was ready to play fulltime in the NHL from the Marlies. It'd be a gong-show.

How would you order our defensive depth chart?

Kaberle
Schenn
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Aulie
Komisarek
Lebda
----------------- NHL / AHL line
Holzer
Mikus
Richmond
Lashoff
Gysbers

mohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:55 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohare View Post
say what you want about Komisarek, but IF we move Kaberle who on earth is going fill 2 holes in our defense? Aulie was the only AHL defenseman that was ready to play fulltime in the NHL from the Marlies. It'd be a gong-show.

How would you order our defensive depth chart?

Kaberle
Schenn
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Aulie
Komisarek
Lebda
----------------- NHL / AHL line
Holzer
Mikus
Richmond
Lashoff
Gysbers
We need money to spend. Komisarek certainly isn't going to fill the need for a puckmover.

Like I posted above, you do something with Carolina where you send a couple of assets with him (d'Amigo, Mikus, Philly's Pick) and get Ian White + Sergei Samsonov back. With White, you get a leg up in signing him and this is a guy that played his best hockey under Ron Wilson (which is strange considering RW started him as a forward). He'd be a decent fit alongside Schenn on our 2nd pair, his poor season has likely decreased his dollar value for next year, leaving enough space to pursue a bigger ticket free agent to play with Phaneuf.

With Samsonov, it doesn't really matter. Toss him in the AHL or whatever and cut your ties with him in July.

Old
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

His trade value is just slightly higher than Gomez. 'nuff said.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Dylbot

Komisarek for Ryan Malone???

Sound like the basis for a deal?

Dylbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:04 PM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
What hypocrisy? Those 3 players are all underpaid and extremely valuable to the Leafs. That doesn't mean other teams don't have similar types of players who are overpaid and they want to be rid of.

Actually, it problably makes more sense to move him now. In the offseason, everyone has the option of pursuing UFAs on July 1. This would represent an opportunity for a team to pick up a useful player at the deadline for basically free, or send another bad contract back.

There are ways to move overpaid players at the deadline. Heck, look no further than Joffrey Lupul.

@Spasmic Dan, there's no point in waiting longer with Komisarek. He's not going to regain his form unless he plays in the top 4 with a puckmover. That's not going to happen with Schenn and Phaneuf here.
You mean USELESS right?! The guy is a plug, ever since Lucic made him into a human punching bag, Komi has fallen way off the map. He's overpaid, and if Burke gets anything for him, actually if Burke can move him at all, he'll be a magician. If you need the cap space, time to bury him in the Marlies. If someone claims him off waiver (doutbful) then thank them and send flowers.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:07 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

It'll be a hard sell. First off, he's making 6m in actual salary (IIRC), so if his cap hit is hard to move, his actual salary will be even tougher.

It does go down to 5.5m next season, but I think they would still be stuck with him. The following season, in 2012-2013 is more likely given he has two years left and his salary is 3.5m.

I think he's better then he has been in Toronto, so maybe there's some team that would bite on him .. but the odds are extremely low I'd imagine and the value would be an equally poor contract or the Maple Leafs adding on their end to get someone to bite (ala McCabe).

Ontop of it all, he has a NMC(?) which limits suitors even more. Have to explore it in the off-season if a team misses out on a UFA defender or two.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:

To Carolina:

To Toronto:

Yea, No thanks.

Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:12 PM
SoulAssassin

Quote:
WHAT?! Put down what your smoking and join us on Earth here in 2011. There's hardly a team in the NHL who would need him to replace one of their guys who fills the same role, especially not at his cap hit. If he's one of the 6 D on the Leafs, it doesnt say much. When all you have to do is beat out Brett Lebda to get in the lineup, your job isnt that hard. Komi sucks, and I doubt there's a team that would take him over any of their current guys.

SoulAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote