HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Shea Weber update

Old
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
avsman

vCash: 500
yeah id love to see him in colorado...to bad we cant get him without losing staz, duchie, or stewie

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM
93gilmour93

phaneuf and weber together

93gilmour93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gilmour93 View Post
phaneuf and weber together
Take out Phaneuf and that looks like a damn good pairing.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Very nice.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Im open to anything. Though I think I'm gonna force a trade to San Jose. I love In-N-Out so yeah. I'm going there.
Eh I guess we'll take him.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Weber seems like a cool guy. You can't expect him to say anything else. If he wants to be in Tennesee, why would negotiations be a distraction? His agent tells him when to sign. It would've taken ten minutes.
I suspect that part of it is wanting to help the Predators win a playoff round this Spring first, so that it can factor into negotiations. He may well ask for more money if the team has post-season success, though I suppose that he could, instead, be willing to take a discount if the team has success and not if history repeats itself.

Weber's situation seems somewhat similar to Doughty's. In Doughty's case, I suspect that the reason why there isn't a contract yet is that his first half of the season wasn't close to the level of play that he's capable of. Instead of signing mid-season at low value, he's likely waiting until the off-season so that his play in the second half and in the playoffs (if they make it) will boost his value back.

In both cases, the players may want to prove something before committing and they know that they'll have a few months after the playoffs and before July 1st to work out a contract. Also, if they're sure that they'll sign with the club and not entertain offer sheets, they can let the process extend past July 1st. I really don't think that they worry about these things nearly as much as the fans, who tend to freak out about them.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:11 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
NJ selects Landeskog then trades Parise, Matt Corrente (or Fraser ) and Dallas 2nd round pick to Nashville for Weber and their 1st.

Sign here please ....................................... .
There are plenty of people, like myself, who wouldn't do Parise for Weber straight up. Then you include Landeskog (who will likely be a top 4 pick) and a young D-man for a 18-25th overall pick that they don't have and it keeps pushing me towards no.

I think that despite our blueline, we will be more likely to win a Cup with Parise + finding another top notch D man instead of acquiring Weber and finding another top notch forward. Look at Philly this year and Chicago last year. It's no secret that their teams are based on scoring depth, although Chicago's top 2 was sick nasty last year. I think we would be better off shipping our pick in a package for Bogosian like you said on our boards rather than trade our elite player for someone else's elite player.

Edit: Big misunderstanding with Landeskog. I see what you're saying now. It's more even than I first read, although I don't think Nashville has the incentive. We may not make the playoffs but we're going to play ourselves out of the sweepstakes for Larsson, Couturier, Landeskog, and RNH.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:33 PM
Anchor Town

what else do you expect him to say at this point?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:43 PM
jammyrft

As a Canuck fan I would trade edler+Raymond for weber

jammyrft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 10:45 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
what else do you expect him to say at this point?
All of the fun being posted in this thread and this is what you bring.

I bet you're the life of the party.....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
And you would be the only one. What a dumb trade that would be...

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I agree with most of this post, but there are a few parts with which I don't.

First, our internal budget is very real for the time being, but things are also looking bright for our immediate future. If things continue to go like this then full revenue sharing isn't going to be necessary, and we can make our budget bigger.

Second, I do agree with the overall idea that Weber wants to feel confident that this team can win. With that said, how many teams can actually afford him who can put themselves in a position to win before we can? I think it's a bit of a stretch to wonder whether we can win any time soon if we miss the play offs or are bounced in the first round.

I do hope this signing forces our hand in picking up an offensive threat and ::crosses fingers:: a freakin' PP coach who can actually... you know... coach a PP.
I just look at it from the point of view that this is Weber's 6th year in the NHL. 4/5 years the Preds have made the post season, only to be beaten in round 1. That said, 3/4 of those seasons, they were clearly the underdog to SJ, Det, Chi. The year that they had Forsberg and Kariya, it was probably a pick'em between themselves and the Sharks, but ultimately, they did fall to SJ. The other year, they missed the playoffs.

Again, this year, unless they finish in 7/8 spot, they should be in another pick'em series. I feel, again, just my opinion, that it would go a long way in contract negotiations for the Preds for them to win their 1st round matchup. At some point, the Preds have to show tangible results to prove that they can be successful. Can't just live on promises.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:24 PM
birddog*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski17 View Post
You heard it here first! Weber wants to go to Montreal!
Yes..Yannick Weber

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
And you would be the only one. What a dumb trade that would be...
Nashville rejects that trade thanks for trying though ...

Predsrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 11:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Nashville rejects that trade thanks for trying though ...
And we would reject it too... I guess that's good then.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:09 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Because no one who has ever requested a trade privately ever made generic PR statements like that publicly

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
Because no one who has ever requested a trade privately ever made generic PR statements like that publicly
Yep, on July 1st Weber is on a plane to the (Insert favorite team). Too bad for us.

Broom of the System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:17 AM
CrackerJibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammyrft View Post
I don't know if I would want to part with Edler, but as a Canucks fan I would gladly gut our prospect pool and surrender draft picks like a drunken Dave Nonis to get Weber. Franchise defensemen rarely, if ever, become available.

CrackerJibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:11 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
I don't know if I would want to part with Edler, but as a Canucks fan I would gladly gut our prospect pool and surrender draft picks like a drunken Dave Nonis to get Weber. Franchise defensemen rarely, if ever, become available.
I agree why deal Edler when those two could form hopefully our top pairing for the next 10 years. (Again in the unlikely event of Weber being available).

I'd move a lot of guys but our main core of (Sedin/Kes/Burr/Edler/Luongo) would not be able to move even for a guy like Weber.

CM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:28 AM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

Weber means a lot to Nashville. I hope they get to lock him up for a while. That being said, as an alleged representative of the Colorado Avalanche I am prepared to offer a very generous package of Matt Hunwick for Weber and a 2nd. Act quickly, because this offer won't be on the table forever.

Nah, really. Weber seems to be a consummate professional, even if he wanted out of Nashville, and there's no reason to believe he does, he'd probably say something similar.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:47 AM
NWAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
yeah id love to see him in colorado...to bad we cant get him without losing staz, duchie, or stewie
Id trade Staz for Weber immediately.

NWAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:14 PM
glenngineer

I have to say I'm pretty annoyed by this thread. I get ticked by reading everyone's offers for Weber in other threads but that's to be expected, teams and fans alike would love to have Weber on them. I get that. The fact that this thread is started by a fan of Nashville has me irate. As if it isn't bad enough that we have to deal with the media and other fans clamoring for our players, why would you even read into that article and think that he wants out? You read one line and come to a conclusion like that? That's almost as bad as Eklund and his rumors. Did you even come to think the reason he's not wanting to discuss the contract is because he has one focus right now and that's winning games and being the captain of the team? If he negotiates a contract in the middle of the playoff hunt, don't you think that would be a distraction for him and the rest of the team? Don't you think it would send a bad message to the team that he is only concerned about what his next contract is going to bring him? Why did anything have to be read into the article other than what was presented?

On a different note, two things have been stated publicly that lead me to believe that he's not going anywhere. One, the ownership group during the skate of the union addressed his contract and Suter's contract and said they will be signed and they were prepared to do what they needed to do to keep both of them Preds for a long time. Two, I have a friend who talked to Weber about staying in Nashville. Lots of rumors were floating around at the time if he wanted to stay or not and there were sites that were saying he's heading to Canada when his contract was up. He stated to my friend that if he wanted to leave Nashville, he would've signed a contract that left him an unrestricted free agent at the end of his deal. Being that he's restricted and the comments he made, I highly doubt he's going anywhere. He's a model citizen and model captain for our team. He'll get compensated for his talents on the ice and in the locker room.

I just wish people would actually stick to facts as opposed to this and that and things that may happen or could happen or that could be read into. I could read into that article and take it a million ways if I had the time to dissect every little piece. The only thing that article said to me is Trotz wants Weber back, Weber is focused on winning this season and everything else will be worked out when the season is over. Pretty simple stuff.

And as far as other teams offering up a big contract to Weber, two things to remember, Nashville has the option to keep him and teams have to have the picks and salary cap space to sign him to do such a deal. I don't know too many teams that have both those possibilities.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:20 PM
MISC*
Negged.

A part of me thinks that we haven't re-upped Erhoff because Gilis wants to see what Weber does.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:21 PM
MISC*
Negged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I have to say I'm pretty annoyed by this thread. I get ticked by reading everyone's offers for Weber in other threads but that's to be expected, teams and fans alike would love to have Weber on them. I get that. The fact that this thread is started by a fan of Nashville has me irate. As if it isn't bad enough that we have to deal with the media and other fans clamoring for our players, why would you even read into that article and think that he wants out? You read one line and come to a conclusion like that? That's almost as bad as Eklund and his rumors. Did you even come to think the reason he's not wanting to discuss the contract is because he has one focus right now and that's winning games and being the captain of the team? If he negotiates a contract in the middle of the playoff hunt, don't you think that would be a distraction for him and the rest of the team? Don't you think it would send a bad message to the team that he is only concerned about what his next contract is going to bring him? Why did anything have to be read into the article other than what was presented?

On a different note, two things have been stated publicly that lead me to believe that he's not going anywhere. One, the ownership group during the skate of the union addressed his contract and Suter's contract and said they will be signed and they were prepared to do what they needed to do to keep both of them Preds for a long time. Two, I have a friend who talked to Weber about staying in Nashville. Lots of rumors were floating around at the time if he wanted to stay or not and there were sites that were saying he's heading to Canada when his contract was up. He stated to my friend that if he wanted to leave Nashville, he would've signed a contract that left him an unrestricted free agent at the end of his deal. Being that he's restricted and the comments he made, I highly doubt he's going anywhere. He's a model citizen and model captain for our team. He'll get compensated for his talents on the ice and in the locker room.

I just wish people would actually stick to facts as opposed to this and that and things that may happen or could happen or that could be read into. I could read into that article and take it a million ways if I had the time to dissect every little piece. The only thing that article said to me is Trotz wants Weber back, Weber is focused on winning this season and everything else will be worked out when the season is over. Pretty simple stuff.

And as far as other teams offering up a big contract to Weber, two things to remember, Nashville has the option to keep him and teams have to have the picks and salary cap space to sign him to do such a deal. I don't know too many teams that have both those possibilities.
This isn't your blog, bro.

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:24 PM
CSimpson18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Your trophy is in the mail.

CSimpson18 is offline   Reply With Quote