HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues Qualify Pronger

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 08:22 AM
degroat*

vCash: 500
Blues Qualify Pronger

LINK

Old
06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
sunb

Great deal. Pronger is the most valuable player in the league, period. At least when he is healthy. A 6'6'' monster d-man who is the complete package is hard to find. Pronger is one of the gems of blueline history and can be more dominant than that of anyone else in the game right now. Excellent move by the Blues even if it takes up that much payroll.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:17 AM
RoyIsALegend*

He's not signed yet, Jovanovski = Norris.

Just ensures that the Blues have his rights.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:22 AM
degroat*

When he is signed, it'll be for no more than the qualifying offer and in all likelihood, it'll be for less.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:40 AM
sunb

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

Yeah I know but at least they qualified him.

That in itself is a great move.

The qualifying offer is around 10 mils and the fact that the Blues did it show their commitment to keep their captain. I can't say the same thing about Anaheim and their mistake on Kariya!

Old
06-30-2004, 09:53 AM
operasen

If they offered 9.5M as reported, he should sign it immediately and say Thank You!

Old
06-30-2004, 09:59 AM
degroat*

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen
If they offered 9.5M as reported, he should sign it immediately and say Thank You!
Considering Pronger has already said he wants to stay with the team, is willing to stick it out through the rebuilding process, and is willing to take less money, unless things hit a snag I doubt that happens.

Old
06-30-2004, 11:44 AM
Street Hawk

Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich
When he is signed, it'll be for no more than the qualifying offer and in all likelihood, it'll be for less.
Why would Pronger take less money to stay with the Blues? He knows the system and that the Blues owe him 9.5 million or else he'll explore other options. I don't think he'll get a contract close to what he gets from the Blues if he was a UFA, since a team would need to clear that much in contract off its roster.

Is there a benefit for Pronger to sign for less than his QO? Right now, the Blues are stuck with the contracts of Tkachuk and Weight and with Pronger's deal, that's about 25 million for 3 guys. So, would an extra 1.5 million or 2 off Pronger's deal allow the Blues to sign a player that would help them improve their Cup chances?

Lidstrom got reupped for 10 million, so I can't see Pronger wanting to dip too far off what he earned last season. If I'm Pronger, I might redo my contract for less money, but only after the Blues improve the team. So, have a gentleman's agreement, that Pronger will take less money if the Blues sign a player or two that chris feels would improve the team. Otherwise, why take less money than you can get if your cup chances are not enhanced?

Old
06-30-2004, 11:50 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk
Why would Pronger take less money to stay with the Blues? He knows the system and that the Blues owe him 9.5 million or else he'll explore other options. I don't think he'll get a contract close to what he gets from the Blues if he was a UFA, since a team would need to clear that much in contract off its roster.

Is there a benefit for Pronger to sign for less than his QO? Right now, the Blues are stuck with the contracts of Tkachuk and Weight and with Pronger's deal, that's about 25 million for 3 guys. So, would an extra 1.5 million or 2 off Pronger's deal allow the Blues to sign a player that would help them improve their Cup chances?

Lidstrom got reupped for 10 million, so I can't see Pronger wanting to dip too far off what he earned last season. If I'm Pronger, I might redo my contract for less money, but only after the Blues improve the team. So, have a gentleman's agreement, that Pronger will take less money if the Blues sign a player or two that chris feels would improve the team. Otherwise, why take less money than you can get if your cup chances are not enhanced?

Because they are going to negotiate a long term deal. And he has already stated he is willing to take a cosiderable paycut to stay in stl. His wife is worth more money than him. And she wants the family to stay in stl.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:02 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk

One of the problems with your post is that you assume there are other teams that are Cup worthy that will pony up the dough for Pronger. What other teams are clearly that close to being Cup contenders? Detroit? How far did they last in the playoffs last year? The year before? The Avs? No Roy, No Forsberg.. no Cup. Fact is there aren't any real "clear cut" favorites to win a Cup anymore (possible exception of TB and they can't afford Pronger) so Pronger, who has a wife from St.Louis, understands that the new economic order of the NHL will not see players getting 10 mill per year contracts.. just like Bertuzzi signed for 7 mill or whatever it was.
Either way if Pronger feels St.Louis is is home and sees no other team as a guaranteed lock to win a Cup and there aren't any teams out there willing to pay him 10 million a year the obvious conclusion is to stay in St.Louis.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:12 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend

He will be signed. He is the centerpiece of the Blues.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:34 PM
Teezax

9.5 million for a defenceman is ridiculous, he won't get them out of the 1st round.
Better off trading him for a couple of great frowards.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:54 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
9.5 million for a defenceman is ridiculous, he won't get them out of the 1st round.
Yeah, it's nobody's fault but Pronger that the Blues haven't advanced in the playoffs since 2000.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:58 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraholic
Yeah, it's nobody's fault but Pronger that the Blues haven't advanced in the playoffs since 2000.
If he played for the Habs that guy would be singing a different tune.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Great defensemen and goalies are cornerstones of great teams. I don't think you can find many forwards who are as valuable as this guy is.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:42 PM
degroat*

Quote:

Old
06-30-2004, 08:39 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stich

Why sweat the details? :lol

Old
06-30-2004, 08:58 PM
guitaraholic*

oh, gee, I couldn't remember off the top of my head when the Blues last advanced beyond the first round. I'm just so ashamed...

Old
06-30-2004, 09:19 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
oh, gee, I couldn't remember off the top of my head when the Blues last advanced beyond the first round. I'm just so ashamed...

It's okay, I get two and twenty mixed up sometimes as well.

Closed Thread