HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I hope we get nobody at the trade deadline

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-14-2011, 10:15 PM
  #1
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
I hope we get nobody at the trade deadline

With the recnt cost of Kris Versteeg, I hope LA picks up either no one, or just a spare piece this year, like Cory Stillman. I think I'd vomit if we gave that much for a 2nd line winger, especially in a year when we aren't a cup contender really.

Next year, maybe, though I'd hate it, but if that is the accurate price on guys like Booth and Penner, I hope we don't touch them this season and just try and make a move in the off-season or at the draft, when picks have the maximum value.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 10:30 PM
  #2
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Strum was the deadline move. Once the roster is expanded, he will be used with Loktionov to improve the team speed. I wouldn't mind this for the stretch run:

Handzus-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Sturm-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Lewis-Poni

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:12 PM
  #3
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Agree 100%. Let's face it, Penner nor Booth are the 'missing piece' thats going to push us over the top this year. Let's see how far our young studs can take us this year and go from there. Unless a Parise or B Richards type player is available (which I highly doubt) there's no sense in trading future assets for marginal 1st/2nd line talent.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:24 PM
  #4
Whiskeypete
Registered User
 
Whiskeypete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: stuck in the middle
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
in total agreement. ive been saying this for weeks. the fact this team is still 1-3 years away talent wise, mentally, commitment, etc. there is ZERO reason to make a trade in the next 14 days for the sake of making a trade to present the appearance of making a run. the only thing it results in is prospect(s), pick(s) and roster player(s) being gone that should be part of the puzzle next season.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:29 PM
  #5
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 31,451
vCash: 50
Respectfully disagree. Getting nobody at the deadline is another year where management simply refuses to see the Kings progress as a team. Getting someone signed for longer than the end of the season should be the goal.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:38 PM
  #6
Orenji
Registered User
 
Orenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winningland
Country: United States
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Go after the Avalanche. Try to get Simmond's buddy Stewart, Hejduk, or Stastny.

They're a team in total disarray. Try to get something for some of our defensive prospects. They need defense...BADLY.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:46 PM
  #7
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,325
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Whoever we are getting won't be a rental. He has to be signed, or dirt cheap. It can only help us, and strengthen chemistry if we get him as soon as possible. Doesn't mean we go find some random team and try to steal their star by offering them the biggest ransom hockey has ever seen, but the street goes both ways. There shouldn't be any "let's do it next year" if the player we need is available and signed now. We only stand to benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Go after the Avalanche. Try to get Simmond's buddy Stewart, Hejduk, or Stastny.

They're a team in total disarray. Try to get something for some of our defensive prospects. They need defense...BADLY.
Stewart would be so nice, but would cost and arm and a leg, but if it were possible, that would be interesting to think about.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:47 PM
  #8
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Go after the Avalanche. Try to get Simmond's buddy Stewart, Hejduk, or Stastny.

They're a team in total disarray. Try to get something for some of our defensive prospects. They need defense...BADLY.
These are the teams DL needs to approach.

Martinez
Hickey
Voynov
Deslauriers
Forbort
Muzzin
Teubert


With all these D and at most 2 openings in the 12-13 season(maybe 1 next season), some of these guys need to be moved.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2011, 11:56 PM
  #9
Fishhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 2,070
vCash: 500
I'd love Hejduk, but If he wanted to stay in Colorado, they would accommodate him. He's a career Av. The only way I see him traded is if he wants one more shot at the cup, and with the race wide open it's not like there are any heavy favorites to get a great shot with.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:35 AM
  #10
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
What is nobody's cap hit? Does he have an injury history? Is he signed beyond this season? I hear Nobody works hard, always trying to prove he is somebody.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 12:40 AM
  #11
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Respectfully disagree. Getting nobody at the deadline is another year where management simply refuses to see the Kings progress as a team. Getting someone signed for longer than the end of the season should be the goal.
This is exactly what I was about to post. A lot of these deals you are seeing so far this deadline is because the players aren't just rentals. I think every player so far as at least one more year on their contract. These teams are making trades to get better not only this year, but for the future. If the Kings can get a player that fits with the team, makes the team better this year and beyond then IMO it's worth the 1st and 3rd or whatever. As long as we don't have to sell the farm, or a major roster player, who cares? At some point, you need to start using picks and prospects to make your team better for the present and the future. I think Kings fans are just so stuck in the mentality of picks being so important because that's all we've had to live for recently (or ever really). Wouldn't a sure bet 2nd line player (or better) signed for a few more years be better than a middle to late first round pick in a very weak draft?

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:03 AM
  #12
Zad
HFB Partner
 
Zad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: OC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Strum was the deadline move. Once the roster is expanded, he will be used with Loktionov to improve the team speed. I wouldn't mind this for the stretch run:

Handzus-Kopitar-Simmonds
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Sturm-Loktionov-Brown
Clifford-Lewis-Poni
I refuse to strum to that tune

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:42 AM
  #13
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post
What is nobody's cap hit? Does he have an injury history? Is he signed beyond this season? I hear Nobody works hard, always trying to prove he is somebody.
"This year Nobody is gonna help the Kings win the Cup" You heard it here first!

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 01:57 AM
  #14
northernKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Respectfully disagree. Getting nobody at the deadline is another year where management simply refuses to see the Kings progress as a team. Getting someone signed for longer than the end of the season should be the goal.
I agree. Getting a player like Booth who is a 26 yr old LW with 4yr left at $4.25 cap hit is not a bad idea especially if it only costs a package like Moller,Teubert and 1st rd pick.

As we all know LA has guys like Williams, Handzus, Poni and Sturm all becoming UFA's. Maybe Handzus signs a one yr deal at a lower cap hit or Sturm signs a one year deal to bounce back and prove he can still produce, but Williams will be looking for a raise and longer term. A deal for a younger player with term left on his contract helps LA not have to over pay to keep certain players.

At worse I'd like LA to trade for a guy like Zherdev who may be available for a 3rd rd pick as Philly may need the cap space. One thing is becoming certain is that Kopitar is gonna need another legit 1st line talent to help with scoring.

As for C.Stewart in COL he would be an ideal winger for Kopitar. I would have no problem with LA trading Schenn or even Bernier for him.

northernKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:14 AM
  #15
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
What team does nobody play for?

I have heard of somebody and even knew of an anybody awhile ago but i haven't heard of anyone named nobody.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:17 AM
  #16
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
With the recnt cost of Kris Versteeg, I hope LA picks up either no one, or just a spare piece this year, like Cory Stillman. I think I'd vomit if we gave that much for a 2nd line winger, especially in a year when we aren't a cup contender really.

Next year, maybe, though I'd hate it, but if that is the accurate price on guys like Booth and Penner, I hope we don't touch them this season and just try and make a move in the off-season or at the draft, when picks have the maximum value.
This team will not win the Cup with the current lineup.

So if you support the status quo, you are punting the season.

If you want to see the team compete for the Cup this year, then changes need to be made.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:21 AM
  #17
Orenji
Registered User
 
Orenji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Winningland
Country: United States
Posts: 5,290
vCash: 500
Stewart actually has been under the bus for the Avalanche. He's been invisible for a while, and the coach healthy scratched him a few times. I would love to get him and put him with Simmonds with whoever centering. Those two live together in the summer, have known each other their whole life, and would be dynamite together.

Probably cost us a good pick in the draft and some high-end defensive prospects, but he fits the types of player that fits in on our team.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 02:22 AM
  #18
RonSwanson*
Gadfly
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Food 'N Stuff
Country: United States
Posts: 8,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nK View Post
I agree. Getting a player like Booth who is a 26 yr old LW with 4yr left at $4.25 cap hit is not a bad idea especially if it only costs a package like Moller,Teubert and 1st rd pick.

As we all know LA has guys like Williams, Handzus, Poni and Sturm all becoming UFA's. Maybe Handzus signs a one yr deal at a lower cap hit or Sturm signs a one year deal to bounce back and prove he can still produce, but Williams will be looking for a raise and longer term. A deal for a younger player with term left on his contract helps LA not have to over pay to keep certain players.

At worse I'd like LA to trade for a guy like Zherdev who may be available for a 3rd rd pick as Philly may need the cap space. One thing is becoming certain is that Kopitar is gonna need another legit 1st line talent to help with scoring.

As for C.Stewart in COL he would be an ideal winger for Kopitar. I would have no problem with LA trading Schenn or even Bernier for him.
Wow. I'm not ready to trade Bernier. Schenn for Stewart would be a tough decision if it came to that.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:03 AM
  #19
driller1
Dry Island Reject
 
driller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,382
vCash: 500
Let me sum up this thread:

"We need more marginal talent! If we don't get another 2nd / 3rd line talent, we'd be regressing, because we don't have enough mediocre forwards on this team. Better yet, if they're marginal AND young, we can have them for a long, long time to continue our destiny of mediocrity. And I will refute everyone else's argument by mocking them and saying the current Kings roster player called 'no-one' is going to take us to the Stanley Cup, when in reality the mediocre talent I'm proposing we trade for isn't big enough of an upgrade to lead us to the Cup. But I'll pat myself on the back anyway and call my post brilliant. "

And yes, I am referring to the people with Booth, Penner, Versteeg, etc hard-ons out there.

We've stockpiled our cupboard with good young talent. If we're going to play those chips, I want to see an impact return. Someone in the B Richards or Parise mold. If we can't get an impact player, we wait and play those chips at the right time. We don't need draft picks-- if we combine those with our prospects, we stand a better chance of getting an impact player. If we slowly dilute our chips by acquiring marginal talent, we'll never have enough ammunition to go out and get that impact player we desperately need.

driller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:02 AM
  #20
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Go after the Avalanche. Try to get Simmond's buddy Stewart......

I do believe the Stewart that Lombardi tried to get was the one that plays for Atlanta. Then again, that's just a guess....

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:40 AM
  #21
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,718
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
I do believe the Stewart that Lombardi tried to get was the one that plays for Atlanta. Then again, that's just a guess....
I can't imagine why he'd have had any trouble acquiring Anthony Stewart prior to this year. 25 years of age, over 100 games in the NHL and he looked like he was going nowhere fast. Leads me to believe it was Chris, if either was being examined.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
  #22
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Respectfully disagree. Getting nobody at the deadline is another year where management simply refuses to see the Kings progress as a team. Getting someone signed for longer than the end of the season should be the goal.
Guys like Booth and penner are signed longer than the end of this season, but if it's going to cost us a 1st and a 3rd to get them, I'd rather we not do that.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
  #23
JBernierFan
Drink up!
 
JBernierFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adevandry View Post
Wow. I'm not ready to trade Bernier. Schenn for Stewart would be a tough decision if it came to that.
Crazy, isn't it? As I've said in a previous thread, JB is the new JJ now that JJ has committed to the Kings. People are just willing to give him away to a team because the grass is always greener.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:46 AM
  #24
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Whoever we are getting won't be a rental. He has to be signed, or dirt cheap. It can only help us, and strengthen chemistry if we get him as soon as possible. Doesn't mean we go find some random team and try to steal their star by offering them the biggest ransom hockey has ever seen, but the street goes both ways. There shouldn't be any "let's do it next year" if the player we need is available and signed now. We only stand to benefit.
I don't dispute their is great talent out there to acquire. My point was that at the current price the market seems to be dictating, I'd rather we not make a trade at all than make one and give up an assinine amount of assets.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
  #25
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar
 
kingsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,100
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Zad;30931754]
Quote:
What is nobody's cap hit?
Below the league floor, so the best possible.

Quote:
Does he have an injury history?
Never missed a game in his career.

Quote:
Is he signed beyond this season?
I heard it was a 20 year deal.

Quote:
I hear Nobody works hard, always trying to prove he is somebody
I hear that's a DL type of player

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.