HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Aquaman contacted stern about NBA team in Vancouver?

Old
02-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Melrose Munch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
That doesn't somehow make every city with an NBA team internationally renowned. I highly doubt there's a bunch of Chinese tourists itching to fly to Oklahoma City or Milwaukee because the Thunder and the Bucks.
So what about increased US tourism. Not everyone cares about hockey.

Melrose Munch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:00 PM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I cant believe this! EricCartman have you ever talked to any nbaplayers, or is your opinion based of one or two idiots on the tv....

Vancouver needs to step out of Toronto's shadow. This is not calgary with hockey and nothing else(no the CFL doesn't count)
Why? Because Americans don't watch it? Cities and countries step out of shadows by doing their own thing, not by pathetically vying for attention from the Americans. The CFL is a great league with a lot of history, and it is Canadian.

Basketball just sucks.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Why? Because Americans don't watch it? Cities and countries step out of shadows by doing their own thing, not by pathetically vying for attention from the Americans. The CFL is a great league with a lot of history, and it is Canadian.

Basketball just sucks.
You probably aren't part of their target market/demographic anyway. The arena is built, if there is fan support I don't see any reason to oppose this.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:25 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

Basketball just sucks.
This is not about the CFL. is no reason to support something.

Basketball does not suck.

Last edited by Melrose Munch: 02-17-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old
02-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Basketball is a great sport, and doesn't suck.

The NBA version of basketball, however, sucks donkey balls.

UBC in the PAC-Make-it-11!

Old
02-17-2011, 12:29 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Basketball is a great sport, and doesn't suck.

The NBA version of basketball, however, sucks donkey balls.
+1.

NCAA basketball is great to watch and I really want to see a NCAA game live one of these days.

And hey, a Canadian invented the sport.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

it's the Pac-12 now

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Hal 9000*

How would it affect the Canucks budget if the new NBA team started to lose money?

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:07 AM
JBIZ14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
+1.

NCAA basketball is great to watch and I really want to see a NCAA game live one of these days.

And hey, a Canadian invented the sport.
NCAA basketball games live are amazing...so much energy. Sort of on-topic back in the 90's I saw Othella Harrington play for Georgetown...he tore UC Irvine a new hole.

JBIZ14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 02:41 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Just listened to the De Bonis on the radio thing.

They keep calling us the Canooks

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:12 AM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
How would it affect the Canucks budget if the new NBA team started to lose money?
They'd sell the team if it got that bad, the NBA has no qualms about allowing franchises to re-locate.

That said, the chances are pretty remote, seeing as the Canucks have been paying for Rogers Place on their own. A basketball team would split the costs and bring in extra revenue. As long as it's managed properly, I think it would be a success in Vancouver.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:24 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
During one of the greatest times our country has to capitalize on sports franchises entering our great country and we want freaking winnipeg to get a NHL team

I keep hearing about stupid ignorant comments about how bad NBA players are as people because of Steve Francis and such. It's not like Toronto didn't have that stigma and there were some ignorant comments but now a days perception has changed. Jerryd Bayless, for example, that was just traded from New Orleans says Toronto is his favourite city now.

Demar Derozan, Sonny Weems etc all of our young players like the city. Carter and Bosh both played here.

Stop complaining, if your city has a chance to land ANY major sports franchise which puts your city on the map you go for it. Maybe Vancouver just isn't a sports city and doesn't want to be on the Map.

The truth is having just an NHL team doesn't put you on any map outside of Canada. It's not like people in asia or africa know who the sedins are or anything. It's so frusterating how backwards our country is when it comes to sports. I bet someone will tell me to move to the US in response to this post. .

It was a bad time for sports in Canada. We lost the expos for the same reason too.
Hate to break it to you, but you guys cant keep any star players. Noone wants to play in Toronto, and even less would want to play in Vancouver. Carter, Bosh and McGrady ALL were drafted there and then subsequently ended up leaving for American cities and what they thought were greener pastures.

As a Vancouverite, I'm comfortable enough with the state of my city with its NHL team, CFL team and coming soon MLS team. We had the Olympics which was excellent. I couldnt care less about "putting us on the map" so to speak. If people dont want to come here or visit, good. We dont care.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 03:30 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
The NBA's redoing its CBA. They might include a franchise tag like the NFL has.

A team in Vancouver likely wouldn't have superstars BUT that doesn't mean it can't work or be somewhat successful. The Raptors have been managed HORRIBLY over the years even when guys are willing to sign there.

The model a team in Vancouver would have to follow is San Antonio's. A mild mannered superstar who doesn't crave the spotlight and surround him with good team players.

It'd be nice just to have another sports option during the year.
Wait.. We were supposed to have that mild mannered superstar before the "Franchise failure" rule was applied.

I wouldnt mind an NBA team coming here but my biggest problem is this: I dont want a team that is only going to be middling or competitive. I want a team that realistically has a chance to be built to win a championship on day.

What I mean is, The Canucks havent won a cup but they have every opportunity in Free Agency, drafting etc.

Equal playing field where 5-6 teams dont run the show and i'm in.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:34 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Bulls are doing great again ,,, Dont watch them much as I find today's NBA watered down compared to golden era (80s/90's) and I hate today's players for most part
My sentiments exactly. in the 90s, i didnt even have a favorite team. The quality of the game and personalities were a lot better than the ones that come out now. The only guy with a shoe deal was Jordan he didnt bring a Tech9 to practice becase Scottie Pippen owed him money from missing a "Nothing but Net challenge".

The Quality of basketball has gotten worse and I'm hoping the lockout helps solve some of the clear issues.

Old
02-17-2011, 03:38 AM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I know Roger place isn't just dedicated to hockey at the first place, but wouldn't a basketball team made the ice condition even worse because the ice would needed to be melted for the b-ball game?

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:18 AM
RTN
Be Kind, Rewind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_2010 View Post
I know Roger place isn't just dedicated to hockey at the first place, but wouldn't a basketball team made the ice condition even worse because the ice would needed to be melted for the b-ball game?
They don't melt the ice, just cover it.

RTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Johnny LaRue

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
You probably aren't part of their target market/demographic anyway. The arena is built, if there is fan support I don't see any reason to oppose this.
True enough. The only reason I'm against it is because I don't want to see the extra basketball coverage get in the way of football and hockey.

Quote:
This is not about the CFL. is no reason to support something.

You belittled the CFL, I was replying to that comment.

Though you are perfectly correct. Just because I appreciate the CFL, it's no reason to oppose a basketball team.

Frankly, I am amazed that Vancouver lost the Grizzlies given some of the smaller and less affluent American cities that have teams.

Johnny LaRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Frankly, I am amazed that Vancouver lost the Grizzlies given some of the smaller and less affluent American cities that have teams.
Not really.

1) You're Michael Heisley - you don't own privately owned GM Place.
2) You know you can sucker some city if building an arena with taxpayer's money and get cheapo rent (heck, it happened here in Vancouver with BC Place) & I suspect get other concessions like food/parking revenue
3) Get more free money from Fedex for the use of the logo
4) CDN$ at the time was the North American Peso

Old
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

What do you think season tickets would go for? Maybe a pair of decent seats.

I'll tell ya, I've never watched a full NBA game in my entire life and I'd be one of the first to commit to buying season tickets. I mean c'mon, another proffesional sports franchise in our own city? We'd be stupid not to support them, especially with an owner like Aquallini at the helm.

Aquaman has **** loads of money. I saw someone talking about Canucks profits subsidizing an NHL team, and I doubt it. Aqua is big into construction, as a Project Manager my company has worked on large homes he's had out for construction. This guy rakes in millions with his numerous businesses, money isn't a big deal to him. This whole NHL and NBA stuff, it's more of a hobby or passion then anything else. I mean sure, he wants it to be profitable, but the guy genuinly enjoys being the owner of the Canucks. If the Canucks broke even, he would still enjoy it.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
Hate to break it to you, but you guys cant keep any star players. Noone wants to play in Toronto, and even less would want to play in Vancouver. Carter, Bosh and McGrady ALL were drafted there and then subsequently ended up leaving for American cities and what they thought were greener pastures.

As a Vancouverite, I'm comfortable enough with the state of my city with its NHL team, CFL team and coming soon MLS team. We had the Olympics which was excellent. I couldnt care less about "putting us on the map" so to speak. If people dont want to come here or visit, good. We dont care.
And this is why Vancouver is a second tier city. Who cares if you win the grey cup. 6/8 teams make the playoffs, its a joke if you don't. BTW Vince resigned in Toronto as did many other players, but of course you did not know or care. McGrady did not leave because of the city, he left because he wanted to be the man and franchise player, which Toronto would not give him. They had carter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricCartman View Post
Wait.. We were supposed to have that mild mannered superstar before the "Franchise failure" rule was applied.

I wouldnt mind an NBA team coming here but my biggest problem is this: I dont want a team that is only going to be middling or competitive. I want a team that realistically has a chance to be built to win a championship on day.

What I mean is, The Canucks havent won a cup but they have every opportunity in Free Agency, drafting etc.

Equal playing field where 5-6 teams dont run the show and i'm in.
What about 1996-2001, when the Canucks could not compete with the US teams because of the dollar. I'm pretty sure the Wings, Leafs, Rangers, Habs, Flyers, Capitals, Hawks used to run the league.

Old
02-17-2011, 09:38 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
True enough. The only reason I'm against it is because I don't want to see the extra basketball coverage get in the way of football and hockey.

You belittled the CFL, I was replying to that comment.

Though you are perfectly correct. Just because I appreciate the CFL, it's no reason to oppose a basketball team.

The problem with the CFL is simply this: Where are the Canadian star quarterbacks? Canadian Coaches, other Buono? All the top people including Cohon are american. Plus the quota for 20 canadians per roster? That turns many people off.

Old
02-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by getty images View Post
What about 1996-2001, when the Canucks could not compete with the US teams because of the dollar. I'm pretty sure the Wings, Leafs, Rangers, Habs, Flyers, Capitals, Hawks used to run the league.
I'd say the chances of the Canadian dollar becoming the North American peso again in the near future is FAR less than a change in the NBA power structure in the near future - particularly when it is current US policy to let their dollar slide.

Canucks also had the "luck" of being horrible largely during this time. Grizzlies had a prime opportunity to take advantage of this - but they were actually worse.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 02-17-2011 at 10:01 AM.
Old
02-17-2011, 10:03 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I'd say the chances of the Canadian dollar becoming the North American peso again in the near future is FAR less than a change in the NBA power structure in the near future - particularly when it is current US policy to let their dollar slide.

Canucks also had the "luck" of being horrible largely during this time. Grizzlies had a prime opportunity to take advantage of this - but they were actually worse.
Exactly, which is why the NBA in Vancouver would work this time. If the Canucks were about to move to Austi, would you hear all this sutff, no people would be saying Vancouver would not be on the map if it did not have an NHL team. In fact they are saying that in Edmonton right now.

Old
02-17-2011, 10:18 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Exactly, which is why the NBA in Vancouver would work this time.
Provided they don't listen to Stern's recommendation as to who the GM should be. That's how we got Stu "Mike Milbury's twin" Jackson.

Old
02-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Exactly, which is why the NBA in Vancouver would work this time. If the Canucks were about to move to Austi, would you hear all this sutff, no people would be saying Vancouver would not be on the map if it did not have an NHL team. In fact they are saying that in Edmonton right now.
People around the world already know where Vancouver is. There's tons of tourists. It's not because of the Canucks. If god for bid the Canucks left, Vancouver would still be a tourist destination.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote