HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT- Aquaman contacted stern about NBA team in Vancouver?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-18-2011, 03:33 PM
  #176
Soundwave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 26,638
vCash: 500
I wish the Grizzlies had stayed but the attitude of guys like Steve Francis really soured me on that.

I try and support the Raptors, but that's such a gong show too.

I do think there is a market for a *good* basketball team in both Vancouver and Toronto. The problem is actually getting that put together. It seems like the Raptors still draw more fans than a lot of US markets even though they suck.

Seattle probably makes more sense given the history of the NBA there.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
  #177
regretlesspanda
Registered User
 
regretlesspanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I wish the Grizzlies had stayed but the attitude of guys like Steve Francis really soured me on that.

I try and support the Raptors, but that's such a gong show too.

I do think there is a market for a *good* basketball team in both Vancouver and Toronto. The problem is actually getting that put together. It seems like the Raptors still draw more fans than a lot of US markets even though they suck.

Seattle probably makes more sense given the history of the NBA there.
Seattle's main problem is lack of a suitable stadium, unfortunately. I was there for the Simmons book-signing, and it was kind of heart-breaking.

And yeah, it sucked that Francis was petulant, whiny little scumsucker. If the Grizz had gotten Nash, or Yao, I firmly they'd still be here.

regretlesspanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
  #178
ShyCheetah
Registered User
 
ShyCheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Caprica City,Caprica
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by getty images View Post
Vancouver is not a top 20 global city. Please. That is another argument completely.
You sir 100% correct. Vancouver is actually a top 3 global city behind Zurich and Geneva. Look it up.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
  #179
Dado
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
You sir 100% correct. Vancouver is actually a top 3 global city behind Zurich and Geneva. Look it up.
Neither Zurich nor Geneva are top-20 cities, either.

  Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:56 PM
  #180
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
You sir 100% correct. Vancouver is actually a top 3 global city behind Zurich and Geneva. Look it up.

Shy
but, but, but, but without a NBA, MLB or NFL team it is but just a second tier city!

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
  #181
The Vengabus
Registered User
 
The Vengabus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,675
vCash: 500
Quality of life surveys have little bearing on the status of a global city. Don't be ridiculous. Neither do vapid sports teams.

The Vengabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:23 PM
  #182
ShyCheetah
Registered User
 
ShyCheetah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Caprica City,Caprica
Posts: 1,423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vengabus View Post
Quality of life surveys have little bearing on the status of a global city. Don't be ridiculous. Neither do vapid sports teams.
Claiming Zurich, Geneva, and Vancouver are not top 20 global cities is whats ridiculous considering the criteria that goes into such things.

Anyways back to the matter at hand, the NBA would be lucky to have Vancouver back in the fold, even if certain close minded individuals don't appreciate what it brings.

Shy

ShyCheetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
  #183
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Really so Minnesota is a world class city because they have a football team. Good to know. Better let the folks in Los Angeles in on the secret.
And look at that Los Angeles is loking to get an NFL team too.


MINNESOTA is not a city. I even said Minneapolis was the played.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:08 PM
  #184
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny LaRue View Post
Most of the quarterbacks are American because QB's don't count against the import restriction. Also, I'm not a nationalist. I have no issues with American coaches. I just like the Canadian game.

As much as the NFL is a great league, it just has rules I can't stand! A 40 second playclock?! That's ridiculous!
Hey I think the NFL slow too at times. They are trying to hamstring defense though.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:09 PM
  #185
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
I don't care for American sports or culture in general, prefer not to have those things in my city. I don't watch the NBA, EVER, and a team back in Vancouver wouldn't interest me.

However, I know there are a lot of basketball fans in Vancouver. Asian kids love the NBA. If the team hired a smart GM, it could be a success.
Canadian Culture(whatever that is...) is so much more interesting.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:10 PM
  #186
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyCheetah View Post
Claiming Zurich, Geneva, and Vancouver are not top 20 global cities is whats ridiculous considering the criteria that goes into such things.

Anyways back to the matter at hand, the NBA would be lucky to have Vancouver back in the fold, even if certain close minded individuals don't appreciate what it brings.

Shy
That is really all we are saying.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:46 PM
  #187
TorontoSports
Registered User
 
TorontoSports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,933
vCash: 500
Vancouver can handle a team.. I don't know why people in the Vancouver media are such whiny *****es? I swear it's like people in Vancouver think they are winnipeg and they can't handle anything else but hockey.

Puckonly media.. sad..

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:35 PM
  #188
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 57,123
vCash: 73
Sorry

vancouver took a beating not only from the whole francis thing but in general other players liked to Vacation in Vancouver--but not coming to play.

Some players could not get out of Vancouver quick enough.

NBA is all about PR and I do not see them coming back to Vancouver

The lack of respect NBA players showed the city of Vancouver still disgusts me.

Big Country was a horrible pick and he did almost nothing away from the court

the otis thorpe deal was a joke at the time and became a bigger joke later.

Vancouver made many mistakes and had the card against them from the start and it was clear--the NBA thought it would be a good idea--players not so much

Mike Bobby is one guy I grew to hate--mainly because he lived near where I worked and his actions around Robson street was nasty

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:38 PM
  #189
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 57,123
vCash: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
Vancouver can handle a team.. I don't know why people in the Vancouver media are such whiny *****es? I swear it's like people in Vancouver think they are winnipeg and they can't handle anything else but hockey.

Puckonly media.. sad..
Good News

Vancouver can handle a team

Bad News

History states other aspects of the game could not handle Vancouver

*Doug West's comments upon hearing he was traded to Vancouver
*Francis making it clear he hated being drafted by VAncoiver
*Shaq being allowed to miss the game in Vancouver to go Graduate
*Players who made it clear they did not want to be in Vancouver
*Ownership mistakes
*GM's not knowing what they were doing

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:00 PM
  #190
Waveburner
RIP Luc
 
Waveburner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In Morrison's house.
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,490
vCash: 500
Honestly I was both sad and bitter when the Grizzlies left. I was a big fan but Heisley and Stern lying through their teeth to get the team out of Vancouver as fast as possible really soured me on the league. Still I was a basketball fan so I continued cheering on the Spurs for a few seasons afterwards (my fav team pre and post Grizz-loved David Robinson). Now I am at the point where I just could no care less about the NBA.

I think the Seattle fiasco, on-court brawls, dozens of DUIs/possession charges, guys bringing semi-automatic handguns into lockerrooms, LeBron's "the decision" aka "i am the most important human being on earth-come watch me **** over my fans on National TV", the widespread ignorance among many american athletes towards Vancouver in particular but Canada in general, etc...

I could go on but really, the NBA is a joke. David Stern is not someone I'd trust to invest hundreds of millions of dollars with. The guy will **** your team over the first chance he gets. If Stern goes away, and the NBA stops being overwhelmed by uneducated, ignorant **********, I'd give it a second chance.

As it is? **** the NBA.


Last edited by Waveburner: 02-18-2011 at 11:38 PM.
Waveburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
  #191
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
And look at that Los Angeles is loking to get an NFL team too.


MINNESOTA is not a city. I even said Minneapolis was the played.
And whether they have a franchise or not doesn't change the city. MINNEAPOLIS will still exist if they lose there franchise just like LA.
Believe it or not there are a lot of people on this earth who couldn't care less about sports.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:07 PM
  #192
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacePalm1967 View Post
Vancouver can handle a team.. I don't know why people in the Vancouver media are such whiny *****es? I swear it's like people in Vancouver think they are winnipeg and they can't handle anything else but hockey.

Puckonly media.. sad..
Could be that not a lot of people give a flying rats posterior about basketball. Most of the folks I know like hockey, a lot like football, some like baseball and a few even like soccer. Golf seems to be quite popular and NASCAR and other forms of racing are followed by others. But I really can't think of anybody I know that has expressed much of an interest in basketball at least not the NBA.

I will admit to turning the channel or turning off the TV when the BB highlights start. I'm guessing I'm not the only one.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:43 PM
  #193
Lowkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Sorry

vancouver took a beating not only from the whole francis thing but in general other players liked to Vacation in Vancouver--but not coming to play.

Some players could not get out of Vancouver quick enough.

NBA is all about PR and I do not see them coming back to Vancouver

The lack of respect NBA players showed the city of Vancouver still disgusts me.

Big Country was a horrible pick and he did almost nothing away from the court

the otis thorpe deal was a joke at the time and became a bigger joke later.

Vancouver made many mistakes and had the card against them from the start and it was clear--the NBA thought it would be a good idea--players not so much

Mike Bobby is one guy I grew to hate--mainly because he lived near where I worked and his actions around Robson street was nasty
Can you elaborate a little about Bibby?

Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:45 AM
  #194
jumptheshark
the burn out
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 57,123
vCash: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey View Post
Can you elaborate a little about Bibby?
Bibby had a place behind Robson street and he made it clear he did not like the lack of nightlife, he did not like the attitude of Vancouvites, the moment they announced the grizz were moving--he couild not move quick enough. He found Vancouver boring.

He was a piece of work to deal with and made it clear he did not like Vancouver in any way, shape or form.

He had a big ego and didn't feel he was getting the "respect" he deserved

he also did an interview after leaving vancouver where there was nothing to do but play video games

BTW

CKNW is having a piece on the idea right now on Russel


Last edited by jumptheshark: 02-19-2011 at 12:57 AM.
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
  #195
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Could be that not a lot of people give a flying rats posterior about basketball. Most of the folks I know like hockey, a lot like football, some like baseball and a few even like soccer. Golf seems to be quite popular and NASCAR and other forms of racing are followed by others. But I really can't think of anybody I know that has expressed much of an interest in basketball at least not the NBA.

I will admit to turning the channel or turning off the TV when the BB highlights start. I'm guessing I'm not the only one.
Because you will mind so many BB fans in Comox, BC.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
  #196
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
And whether they have a franchise or not doesn't change the city. MINNEAPOLIS will still exist if they lose there franchise just like LA.
Believe it or not there are a lot of people on this earth who couldn't care less about sports.
Really. Go to topix.com and tell them that.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:45 AM
  #197
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Because you will mind so many BB fans in Comox, BC.
Well considering that Comox is a Canadian Forces Base town there is quite a mixture of people living here. I'm a member at the course on the base and I golf with guys from all over this country. Sports are a topic that comes up often. BB is a sport that gets discussed. I grew up in North Vancouver and have family and friends who still live on the mainland.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 10:52 AM
  #198
putridgasbag
Grand Poohba
 
putridgasbag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Comox Valley
Posts: 1,233
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Really. Go to topix.com and tell them that.
You mean the fans are vocal about it?!?!? shocking.

Don't get me wrong I am a sports fan. If the Canucks, Lions were to leave I'd be pissed. I liked the Indy race and was sad to see it go as I was when the PGA pulled up stakes and left. Heck I don't care about BB but it was still felt sad for the people who had supported the team. But you know what, the city kept a rolling on and outside of the local area I doubt many people really even noticed. It certainly didn't change the stature of the city around the world.

putridgasbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:05 PM
  #199
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 14,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
Well considering that Comox is a Canadian Forces Base town there is quite a mixture of people living here. I'm a member at the course on the base and I golf with guys from all over this country. Sports are a topic that comes up often. BB is a sport that gets discussed. I grew up in North Vancouver and have family and friends who still live on the mainland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by putridgasbag View Post
You mean the fans are vocal about it?!?!? shocking.

Don't get me wrong I am a sports fan. If the Canucks, Lions were to leave I'd be pissed. I liked the Indy race and was sad to see it go as I was when the PGA pulled up stakes and left. Heck I don't care about BB but it was still felt sad for the people who had supported the team. But you know what, the city kept a rolling on and outside of the local area I doubt many people really even noticed. It certainly didn't change the stature of the city around the world.
Fair enough.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 04:39 PM
  #200
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,851
vCash: 500
I's rather see the Whitecaps thrive and succeed than the NBA return to Vancouver.

But hey, if Acquaman wants a team, maybe he needs a couple of partners. I hear Beedie and Gagliardi are still looking for a pro-sports team. Maybe Stu Jackson can manage it?

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.