HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

All Trade Proposal/Rumours/FA Talk - TRADE DEADLINE VERSION - Kaberle Going?

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Pulfy14

vCash: 500
Anyone think that after the BOS trade for kelly, the Kaberle deal seems even more of a reality? maybe he could be replacing a forward roster spot that would be involved in a deal with the Leafs?

or is it nothing at all haha...

just speculation

Old
02-16-2011, 01:06 AM
mcinnesja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulfy14 View Post
Anyone think that after the BOS trade for kelly, the Kaberle deal seems even more of a reality? maybe he could be replacing a forward roster spot that would be involved in a deal with the Leafs?

or is it nothing at all haha...

just speculation
No I happen to be wondering the same thing.
We know Burke wants a roster player, and Kelly can play the wing & C position so him being a replacement player for the them, sort of makes sense.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bombay View Post
Does anyone else find something strange going on here. One minute burke says he will respect privacy and then next minute he is confirming he is shopping him to bruins making it a media circus. Theres gotta be some sort of plan behind this like wanting to start a bidding war? Or Kabs and burke have an evil plan to trade him now and re sign after season lol one can wish
At no point did Burke say that Kaberle was the name involved in discussions between the Leafs and Bruins.

Basically Burke has been screwed:

1 - its very common across the league for GMs to only accept team lists of 5 or more teams from players with NTCs. The reason for this is because the GMs can then at least go ahead and shop offers against one another and potentially get a trade offer that meets or exceeds their valuation of that player.

2 - while it has not been made official, Sportsnet say that Kaberle has submitted a list of just one team: Boston. That handicaps Burke, because now Boston and Peter Chiarelli are the ones dealing from strength, not the Leafs.

3 - Burke has one avenue for Kaberle, and that is Boston. Boston have a few more avenues for their puck moving powerplay Dman - including Kaberle, Bagosian, and McCabe, and others. Advantage solely with Boston right now.

4 - the only way Burke can hope to get a reasonable deal out of Boston is to put pressure on Chairelli. That's why he's spoken up on Boston radio this afternoon talking about a deal with Boston in the works - let the public piece together the obvious (Kaberle), and have them put pressure on the team to go after Kaberle.

That would be the big plan I think you would be suggesting is at play here.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcinnesja View Post
No I happen to be wondering the same thing.
We know Burke wants a roster player, and Kelly can play the wing & C position so him being a replacement player for the them, sort of makes sense.
Cover for Blake Wheeler, who will be moved if the Bruins r to lock down that dman they want

Old
02-16-2011, 01:26 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Yeah, fair enough. It certainly sounds like a move that Boston could make.
man my gut has a really bad feeling about bogo going to the bruins, which will just make me go insane.

Old
02-16-2011, 05:42 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
From New England Hockey Journal...
http://www.hockeyjournal.com/news/20...it-and-see.php

All distractions aside, Kaberle knows he'd be a good fit in Boston.

"I would think so," he said. "Obviously they have a pretty good team, good goaltending. I have played a lot of games against them and they are always tough to beat. We will see what is going to happen."

With the deadline a little less than two weeks away, Kaberle is taking the attitude that whatever happens, happens. Until then, it's all just talk.

"If I am needed on this team then we can talk about it," he said. "We obviously have twelve days still to go. Like I said, there is nothing to talk about."

Sounds like he is open to the idea, no?

Old
02-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
I could see these kind of deals

Ryder + Colborne + 1st Bos(condition he resigns) FOR Kaberle

Wheeler + Caron + 1st Bos(condition he resigns) FOR Kaberle + 3rd(coditional he resigns)

Hamill + Colborne + 3rd FOR Kaberle + 5th

Stuart + Colborne + 1st Bos(condition he resigns) FOR Kaberle
I would only take the last option IMO

Last edited by Phion Keneuf: 02-16-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old
02-16-2011, 06:37 AM
AndMat*

Burke should wait one more week to see if he adds the habs to his list. If that happens u will see a first and 2top prospects. Habs and boston would try to outbid each other for kabs

Old
02-16-2011, 07:38 AM
pspot

With Bos moving their 2nd I think its less likely that a pick (1st or 3rd) is involved in any discussions with the Leafs

Having said that adding Kelly makes it more likely a roster player is involved.

I was thinking Wheeler, Hamill and a conditional pick last night but without that pick its a pretty weak deal

Old
02-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Faltorvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot View Post
With Bos moving their 2nd I think its less likely that a pick (1st or 3rd) is involved in any discussions with the Leafs

Having said that adding Kelly makes it more likely a roster player is involved.

I was thinking Wheeler, Hamill and a conditional pick last night but without that pick its a pretty weak deal
You do realize that Bos has the Wilds 2nd and Yotes 3rd plus their own 3rd, let alone the 2 1rsts. They have a bucket load of picks in the first 3 rounds.,

Old
02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
samwitch

Kabs and Philly's third for Wheeler and Boston's first.

Old
02-16-2011, 07:56 AM
pspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
You do realize that Bos has the Wilds 2nd and Yotes 3rd plus their own 3rd, let alone the 2 1rsts. They have a bucket load of picks in the first 3 rounds.,
no i did not, thats impressive

such a well run organization

Old
02-16-2011, 08:11 AM
Clip68

Using the return for Beauchemin as a comparable, I will go with Kaberle for Colborne and one of Wheeler or Ryder. Possibly picks added from either side if need be. Here’s why…..

Kaberle to Beauchemin comparison

Kaberle is far superior to Beauchemin, but Beauch has another year on his deal and wasn’t as hard to move.

Colborne to Gardiner comparison

Colborne was selected one spot ahead of Gardiner in the draft and neither player has done anything to diminish their value. Gardiner was also deemed somewhat expendable when Anaheim unexpectedly got Fowler in the draft and he was able to step in immediately. Colborne was Boston’s best prospect at centre, but again unexpectedly, they got Seguin who leapfrogged him and can help immediately.

Lupul to Wheeler/Ryder comparison

Lupul was a dump, but he still has skills. Due to injuries, he hasn’t lived up to expectations of a former 7th overall pick. Wheeler is in a similar situation of not exactly living up to the hype of a 5th overall pick, but again like Lupul, still has skills. Ryder is playing pretty well this year, but the only reason I mentioned him would be if the Bruins thought that it would be better to trade his 4M cap hit to possibly try and get someone at the deadline for approximately 2-3M to do the same job.

Maybe Toronto adds Philly’s 3rd, but I would do Colborne and Wheeler for Kaberle and Philly’s 3rd.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:19 AM
GrrrTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
Using the return for Beauchemin as a comparable, I will go with Kaberle for Colborne and one of Wheeler or Ryder. Possibly picks added from either side if need be. Here’s why…..

Kaberle to Beauchemin comparison

Kaberle is far superior to Beauchemin, but Beauch has another year on his deal and wasn’t as hard to move.

Colborne to Gardiner comparison

Colborne was selected one spot ahead of Gardiner in the draft and neither player has done anything to diminish their value. Gardiner was also deemed somewhat expendable when Anaheim unexpectedly got Fowler in the draft and he was able to step in immediately. Colborne was Boston’s best prospect at centre, but again unexpectedly, they got Seguin who leapfrogged him and can help immediately.

Lupul to Wheeler/Ryder comparison

Lupul was a dump, but he still has skills. Due to injuries, he hasn’t lived up to expectations of a former 7th overall pick. Wheeler is in a similar situation of not exactly living up to the hype of a 5th overall pick, but again like Lupul, still has skills. Ryder is playing pretty well this year, but the only reason I mentioned him would be if the Bruins thought that it would be better to trade his 4M cap hit to possibly try and get someone at the deadline for approximately 2-3M to do the same job.

Maybe Toronto adds Philly’s 3rd, but I would do Colborne and Wheeler for Kaberle and Philly’s 3rd.
Mentioned exactly this in another thread.

Fair value for both teams and satisfies each team's needs perfectly.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Clip68

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrrrTML View Post
Mentioned exactly this in another thread.

Fair value for both teams and satisfies each team's needs perfectly.
Haha perfect. We can fight over who gets the glory when this goes down.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:37 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Atm I would love to also some how pry bogosian out of the thrashers.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:42 AM
The Caveman
snowbozie

Gomez for Komi and Finger

Yes, Gomez has been a bust since he signed his contract. Komi and Finger have been the same with the Leafs. But Gomez is still a great passer and might do well with a pure scorer such as kessel. Word in Montreal is that Gomez is untradeable, he is starting to get booed during home games...would any of you take a chance on him?

While this may look like a pure junk for junk trade, Montreal would get two serviceable d-men and we get a maybe #1 center and don't have to rush Kadri. Money is about even.

To Tor:
Scott Gomez

To Mtl:
Komi and Finger

Old
02-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

no thanks.

also use the all trade proposal thread that's stickied pal

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=878429

Old
02-16-2011, 08:44 AM
mapes

Not a chance in hell. Finger is nothing to us, he's not on our cap. Habs wouldn't want Komi back. Leafs say no to hiscontract

Old
02-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Fabs

Rather we didn't lose valuable cap space taking Gomez.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:46 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post
Yes, Gomez has been a bust since he signed his contract. Komi and Finger have been the same with the Leafs. But Gomez is still a great passer and might do well with a pure scorer such as kessel. Word in Montreal is that Gomez is untradeable, he is starting to get booed during home games...would any of you take a chance on him?

While this may look like a pure junk for junk trade, Montreal would get two serviceable d-men and we get a maybe #1 center and don't have to rush Kadri. Money is about even.

To Tor:
Scott Gomez

To Mtl:
Komi and Finger

Gomez is Garbage complete Garbage besides thast finger would need to go on re enrty waivers and may get claimed for 1.75 because teams would need to pay just half the cap hit with the Leafs being stuck with the other half.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caveman View Post

To Tor:
Scott Gomez

To Mtl:
Komi and Finger
That's the second worst contract given to a player in the NHL.

This is pretty much the same quandary that I posed with my Tavares + DiPietro trade suggestion.

I mean, how far does contract relief get you, I suppose is the deeper question in these trades.

Here's the thing, the rumours were that Gomez had to come to Montreal or else Gionta would not play there.

Seeing as the Habs have put their eggs in the Gionta basket, they are a little hard-pressed to keep Gomez. I would surmise the Habs still need him or else they'd have buried him in the minors by now.

A trade for this guy might cause a big rift between management and Gionta.

Eventually, pride in his work will get Gionta to give up on Gomez but they aren't there yet.

Old
02-16-2011, 08:54 AM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Anyone think Ottawa deals Chris Neil?

Last edited by indigobuffalo: 02-16-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: del
Old
02-16-2011, 08:58 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
Anyone think Ottawa deals Chris Neil?
firesale going on in the sens locker room so i wouldnt be surprised.

Old
02-16-2011, 09:00 AM
AndMat*

yes i could see chris neil going to Mtrl if they plan on moveing kost*

Closed Thread