HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - Vancouver

Old
02-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Highbrow
Alfie, Alfie, Alfie!

vCash: 500
We're dreaming if we think we can get Schneider and Schroeder for Cowen.

In contrast, the original proposal is brutal for the Senators. Guys like Smith and Carkner are keepers at this point. They have roles on the team and fill them very well. They get paid very little which is also excellent.

To EricCartman: Cowen has looked just fine since returning from injury. Thank you for your concern though.

Highbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:11 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

So basically Cowen for Schneider+Schroeder.

I would probably do it. Cowen looks alright, but I suspect he's going to be the second coming of Chris Phillips. Phillips is alright, but I think Schroeder and Schneider have more collective potential.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:54 PM
Ho Borvat

for me carkner, smith and elliot have to come to van to make this go this year. Van needs a depth d-man since bieksa, salo, alberts and ehrhoff are all fas at year end, and apparently gillis doesnt like rentals. Van needs a 4th line c for the playoffs and smith fits this, and a capable backup is needed for van to replace schneider. Van overpays imo. What about the same ottawa package for schneider, 1st, shirokov? Another first pick, a future goalie, and a player with good top 6 potential?

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

You know.. I'm really not sure how much of a better prospect Cowen is compared to Schroeder. It might be better for both teams to hold on to what they have here, although the Schroeder + Schneider for Cowen idea does seem to spark some interest for both side I doubt it'd be something our GM's would do, especially Gillis.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Carlton Orr*

Nope, Smith and Cowen are big parts of the future in Ottawa. They won't be going anywhere.

Carlton Orr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Ho Borvat

bigger parts than schneider, schroeder and picks would be?

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
GotKush*

I actually think this Cowen for CS, and Shroeder is pretty fair value... I see Ottawa fans shooting this down but when a new GM is hired in the offseason, I doubt he would want Lehner in the NHL next year as he would be better served in the AHL for at least a couple years of seasoning. I personally don't see Ottawa in a full rebuild mode as there is some very nice peices there that could improve next year and there is alot of value on that team. It's kind of up to the new GM, if he wants to just sign a stop gap goalie going the UFA route, or trade from a position of strength (D prospects) for a potential franchise goalie.

GotKush* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Tarot Sport*

I still think if anyone thinks Mike Gillis is trading Jordan Schroeder and Cory Schneider for Jared Cowen, they're completely out to lunch on Gillis as a GM, and have other interests than the Vancouver Canucks in their heads.

The Canucks don't need an elite defenceman prospect really. It'd be nice but there's no need. They have Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard signed long-term, and you can probably add Ehrhoff eventually to that group. We have a number of mid-tier defenceman prospects to fill out that group.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:29 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Whitbread View Post
I still think if anyone thinks Mike Gillis is trading Jordan Schroeder and Cory Schneider for Jared Cowen, they're completely out to lunch on Gillis as a GM, and have other interests than the Vancouver Canucks in their heads.

The Canucks don't need an elite defenceman prospect really. It'd be nice but there's no need. They have Edler, Hamhuis and Ballard signed long-term, and you can probably add Ehrhoff eventually to that group. We have a number of mid-tier defenceman prospects to fill out that group.

Yup. This trade seems very off to me as well. At the very least, that elite dman prospect must be a two-way machine, not a defensive dman. It's the wrong player type to target.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:35 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

No Ottawa fans responses?:

To Ottawa:

Schneider + 5th round pick

To Vancouver:

Ottawa's 2nd and 4th round picks

...?

(AT THE DRAFT)

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:18 PM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
There's no tap dancing at all.

Saying "an injury is an injury" is as misleading as to say "this is like any other case involving blue cars".

There's different severities, magnitudes, timings... Additionally, a *pre-draft* injury tempers initial expectations whereas a *post-draft* injury makes it possible it was not the best pick (in hindsight).

Actually, Cowen has looked fine for the last 12 months.
So if Hodgson had his injuries before his draft, then he woudnt be a "broken asset?" AllllllRiiiiiight.

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:48 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
No Ottawa fans responses?:

To Ottawa:

Schneider + 5th round pick

To Vancouver:

Ottawa's 2nd and 4th round picks

...?

(AT THE DRAFT)
Why would Gillis offer that? Nonsense. Schneider isn't being moved for an early second and to move up 50 spots from the 5th.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:24 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdan85 View Post
Ottawa Gets
Cory Schneider
Jordan Schroeder
2nd Rd Pick
5th Rd Pick

Vancouver Gets
Jared Cowen
Zach Smith
Matt Carkner
Brian Elliot

Vancouver gets a blue chip d-prospect which they truly lack. Cowen is a big bodied d-man who is propably 1-2 years from being an NHL d-man (IMO). They also get a good solid 4th line center, who will drive the net and plays a good physical game in Smith. With potentially losing Alberts for the remainder of the year, Carkner is a good replacement for this season, and gives them another defender who is about the same skill level as Alberts for next year. They gain a decent backup for this year and if they opt to re-sign him later seasons.

Ottawa gets their future goalie for their franchise. Has a higher ceiling than Lehner, and is ready now. Ottawa can sign a veteran goalie for next year to help keep pressure off him, however Cory is ready to start now. They also get Schroeder who should turn into a very good #2 center behind Spezza, and should be a good player in the not too distant future. Picks included to help get Carkner/Elliot and give Ottawa more draft picks. Ottawa needds draft picks, Van needs depth players.

Essentially
Cowen for Schneider + Schroeder

2nd + 5th for Carkner, Smith, Elliot.
How do you figure that? He is just 5 years older and just like Lehner not NHL proven. Playing back-up behind Luango and his 14 games played does not make you anywhere near a franchise goalie in Ottawa.

Lehner is 19.

Cowen for Schroeder? lol value isn't close at all

Even if Ottawa picks Larsson this summer, they will have 3 swedish skill defenseman....soft...they NEED what Cowen brings BAD which is physical play, crease clearing, along with good set of puck moving skills. All the top prospects would be one dimensional (no toughness) Cowen is close to ppg dman also this year in the WHL and easily regarded as THE shudown dman in the WHL.

Last edited by 4thliner*: 02-16-2011 at 08:29 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote