HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stl - Was

Old
02-16-2011, 02:40 AM
Spackler

vCash: 500
Stl - Was

To Washington:
TJ Oshie

Alex Pietrangelo

To St. Louis
Mike Green

Obviously a pretty major move, but both teams have had season's pretty far below expected and a shake up for either could work to turn things around for them.

Why Cap's would do it:

Pretty much everyone from OV on down has been a disappointment so far this season. OV's not going anywhere obviously, Backstrom's locked up forever and they just resigned Semin so it's pretty unlikely they will be moving any of these guys. The PP hasn't been working, which Green basically QB's and he's not been doing a whole lot offensively as in year's past, so maybe a change of scenery is in order. They'd get a very solid defensive prospect in Pietrangleo who shouldn't have much of a problem filling in the minutes. As for Oshie, he's a guy almost every team would want on their side, very skilled and very hard-working.

Why the Blues do it:
The Blues aren't out of the tight West race just yet, and adding a back to back 70 point defenseman clearly doesn't hurt. I think Mike Green has a ton of great hockey left in him, but mostly needs a new start. Losing Pietrangelo would hurt, but the Blues have former #1 overall Erik Johnson and Pietrangelo is unlikely to reach Green's offensive talent. Oshie is a restricted free-agent after this year and will most definitely be highly sought after which could make things difficult for the relatively cash-strapped Blues.

Spackler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Edge of Sanity*

The Caps already can't score anymore, if they trade Green, they have no puck-moving d-men except Carlson whom is still largely young and unproven. Oshie is also the heart of the Blues so I don't see them doing it either.

Edge of Sanity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:44 AM
alpine4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
To Washington:
TJ Oshie
Alex Pietrangelo

To St. Louis
Mike Green
No I dont think Blues do that trade. They're still building that team up plus Oshie and Pietrangelo are 2 of the 6 main piece of that rebuilt. For Alex Steen maybe

alpine4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Atlas

Interesting. I like Oshie. But I'd have to know more about Pietrangelo. He was a great prospect but I've lost track of him in STL.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:24 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

No thanks from the Blues.

Petro is already as good, if not better than Green defensively and I would wager that he ends up at the very least a 50 pt D man, with 60 likely.

Oshie was poised for a breakout year this year, but is still projecting 50 pts in 82 games despite still recovering from a broken ankle, plus he bring so many intangibles.

Green would not score 70pts in STL. The surrounding offensive talent is nowhere close to what it is in WAS. Hell Petro would probably hit 45 pts if he were on WAS this season.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:52 AM
discobob

Might consider it as a Caps fan...although loosing Green would be really tough. Anyone claiming that Pietrangelo is near Green's value is laughable. That's typical homer fandom rearing it's head. Sure, he has a high ceiling, but then again, so do tons of other d-men in the league. Green has been THE premier offensive defenseman in the league for the past three years. His production this year is a function of the Caps going through an identity crisis....

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:04 AM
luiginb

Blues lose a lot of character in this trade, and they're built on it.

luiginb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Stang

From a Blues perspective I say no. Petro is developing nicely and is set to be a great d man with some pretty good offensive upside of his own. Oshie is one of the hardest working players we have on the team and seems to be the one who can really get Berglund to produce too. Oshie is worth more to the Blues than just his talent...he's a big character guy not to mention the fan favorite. I just can't see the Blues making this deal.

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:23 AM
mkearney913
Bob Ross

Caps already have a TJ Oshie (Brooks Laich) with an all-around game and good character. They'd love to have Pietrangelo, his two-way game is starting to transition.

Pietrangelo, however, doesn't look moveable from the Blues' perspective. Brewer and Coliacovo look likely to be shipped out and there are starting to be doubts concerning Johnson (especially with his current injury history). They could, however, benefit greatly from having Green in the lineup, so maybe they'd think about it if it didn't cost them their top defensive prospect.

mkearney913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Honeycutt

No way the blues do this trade, I would not even do Petro for green straight up. Defenders do need to play defense on occasion, and in that aspect of the game Petro is already better than Mike "i don't play no defense" Green. If the Blues are trading Oshie and Petro Backstrom better be coming to STL.

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Only on HFBoards would this proposal even be considered. Green is the catalyst of the Washington offense, and it looks far worse without him than it does with him. And he's playing the best defense on his career, desptie the garbage HFboards posters say about him.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
blue bleeder 24-7

Absolutely not from St. Louis. Before Oshie developed into the player he is today, management was unwilling to trade him for Chris Pronger (Pronger > Green in my world) due to Oshie's intangibles - what he brings to the team in terms of energy, what he brings for the fans in terms of entertainment. Oshie is basically the number one untouchable guy on this roster.

Then there's Pietrangelo, who if you ask me, will likely develop into a better defenseman than Green is anyway. Package that with the 'character' that people were saying the Blues were built on.

Furthermore, this doesn't address a team need for the Blues. While Green is wonderful at creating offense, he is not a top 6 forward. This is the only need the Blues have. The defense is set for this year an next year.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:29 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackler View Post
Why the Blues do it:
The Blues aren't out of the tight West race just yet, and adding a back to back 70 point defenseman clearly doesn't hurt. I think Mike Green has a ton of great hockey left in him, but mostly needs a new start. Losing Pietrangelo would hurt, but the Blues have former #1 overall Erik Johnson and Pietrangelo is unlikely to reach Green's offensive talent. Oshie is a restricted free-agent after this year and will most definitely be highly sought after which could make things difficult for the relatively cash-strapped Blues.
The biggest thing the Blues need to do to get back in the race is to get everyone healthy. They're finally getting there, although the returners are going to need a bit of time to get back up to speed. If the Blues can't do it with what they currently have, they should sit pat and wait for next year. They have a great thing going, and busting it up in a panic move to make the playoffs this year would be silly indeed.

Two asides:
Pietrangelo might not have Green's offensive talent, but it's definitely being undersold a great deal in this thread. He'll hit 50 points at least a few times in his career, and he as the potential for more than that. I think there's a pretty good chance that Pietrangelo ends up being the better all-around defenseman.

Oshie will be retained...money isn't that tight. Non-essential things are just kind of at a pause point until the ownership reorganization finalizes (should be before the offseason). If money was the issue, then trading two key players who are cost controlled for Green's salary probably isn't the out the team would be looking for. They'll almost certainly be able to retain Oshie and Pietrangelo for less than Green's making right now.

EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
dahlenrules

YES from a caps fan. And Laich isn't really comparable to Oshie imo.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:33 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 50
No way from the Blues

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Seikalym

I'd do that as a Caps fan. Not sure how Blues fans would feel...

Seikalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
txpd

as a caps fan, i wouldnt touch that with a 10' pole. no chance.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:31 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

One of those trades that I wouldn't really expect either fan base to be interested in. That being said, I think St. Louis gets the short end of the stick here. Petro is not far off from being a better D-man than Green all things considered, and Oshie is too big of a piece to make up the difference.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

The Blues wouldn't consider this for a second. I think the Caps would be hard-pressed to get one of Oshie or Pietrangelo for Green much less both of them.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
One of those trades that I wouldn't really expect either fan base to be interested in. That being said, I think St. Louis gets the short end of the stick here. Petro is not far off from being a better D-man than Green all things considered, and Oshie is too big of a piece to make up the difference.
Yes, he is.

Old
02-16-2011, 01:36 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

As a Caps fan I probably do it. Green's signed through next year then he's got 1 year of RFA and the 2 guys coming back are on ELCs. Plus the Montreal series last year made me really question whether a team where Green plays 26+ minutes a game can with the Cup.

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:37 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, he is.
Have you seen him play? He is poised beyond his years and already about as good Green defensively. He'll probably never put up quite the same numbers as Green will in his best years but Petro will be a better two-way D-man very soon, when considering all facets of the game.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:38 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Yes, he is.
Offensively, yeah he is.
In every other aspect of the game? No, he isn't.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Have you seen him play? He is poised beyond his years and already about as good Green defensively. He'll probably never put up quite the same numbers as Green will in his best years but Petro will be a better two-way D-man very soon, when considering all facets of the game.
Yes, I have seen him play. And I really like him.

But the question is, have you watched Green play this year (while injured, no less)? Green has been excellent defensively all season long, even before the system change that Boudreau iniated in December. He's always been underrated defensively, this year he's really picked up his defensive play to a new level, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey View Post
Offensively, yeah he is.
In every other aspect of the game? No, he isn't.
Mike Green:
EVGA/60: 2.04
SHGA/60: 4.30

Alex Pietrangelo:
EVGA/60: 2.50
SHGA/60: 6.11

Stats don't seem to reflect your statement. Green gives up almost half a goal less per 60minutes than Pietrangelo and does better relative to his teammates than Pietrangelo does. And Green has better PK numbers.

Old
02-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Basikk

If we we're going to deal those 2 in a package - which we won't - it would be for a star forward.

Basikk is offline   Reply With Quote