HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recchi will sign today or leave

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 03:54 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kØUkLØs
Exactly.
Mario was with Recchi and Kovalev at his annual golf tournament.
Doesn't mean anything

Besides, why would you hurt a team like Pittsburgh that is already hurt by a million reasons already...

IF this is tampering, what is the whole Roenick thing. We knew all the details of the contract a day in advance...
Yes, and we gave the Yotes a draft pick so we could speak with him prior to July, 1.

Old
06-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Overtime

The Flyers were given permission to talk to Roenick.

There are ways around actually talking about the parts that aren't allowed. Nobody has to sell Recchi on Pittsburgh itself. He knows Pittsburgh, unlike Roenick, who was sold on the Philadelphia region by Recchi and Tocchet.

But Recchi is neighbhor's with Craig Patrick. They could get together for a neighbhorly BBQ in the backyard and get each other's take on the situation without ever discussing an actual offer.

Mark is certainly free to talk about what has happened (or not happened) in Philly with a contract. So Patrick (maybe Mario is also invited to this little backyard party) can say "well, if my leading scorer only wanted $3 million dollars I'd certainly give it to him". The meaning would be pretty clear without anything overt being said.

Old
06-30-2004, 04:46 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Why don't you guys sign a flashy guy like Palffy. I mean he could mean business in Philly.
Yeah...there's just the slight problem of the CBA expiring and Palffy wanting a multi-year deal worth 7 million a year.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:03 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
giving Clarke an ultimatum is not a good thing if you want to stick around. isn't this common knowledge yet?

personally, I would like to see Recchi play 2 more seasons and retire in Philly.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
FlyersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve L
That, Recchi said, is not acceptable. It's a matter of respect, and unless an offer comes before midnight tonight, he is done as a Flyer. Anything after today and he walks. Period.
Kinda sounds to me like Rex is looking for an excuse to leave Philly. I wouldn't have expected a response like that from him. Maybe he doesn't think that the Flyers have what it takes to win a Cup and has given up on the idea of winning another one with them, opting instead to finish his career where he has some friends (Mario), a summer home, and family roots, and content to have won a Stanley Cup.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:51 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Besides, why would you hurt a team like Pittsburgh that is already hurt by a million reasons already...
Use every opportunity to kick an opponent while they're down.

Old
06-30-2004, 08:58 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan
Kinda sounds to me like Rex is looking for an excuse to leave Philly. I wouldn't have expected a response like that from him. Maybe he doesn't think that the Flyers have what it takes to win a Cup and has given up on the idea of winning another one with them, opting instead to finish his career where he has some friends (Mario), a summer home, and family roots, and content to have won a Stanley Cup.

I didn't take it that way at all. It sounds to me like he is hurt and frustrated with the situation.

I'm not sure what some fans want from him - to wait around while all the other free agents sign while Clarke waits for the new CBA? Does that really make any sense from his perspective? I don't think so.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:17 PM
mercury

If he is definitely gone, I will miss Recchi, too. You never wanna lose your leading scorer, especially when he is a veteran and a class guy. That said, we need to do something about scoring on the wing now. I don't know if Palffy is the answer (and judging from Clarke's behavior this offseason, he won't be), but we need someone of substance to put some pucks in the net. Even if Roenick stays on the wing, one or both of LeClair and Amonte should be gone, so we have to go out and get a player.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Flyr_Fan

Quote:
Correct.
He spends every single offseason in Pittsburgh.
He also plays golf every weekend with Mario.
He started to want to return to Pittsburgh since last summer but he didn't want to leave Philadelphia who was so good to him. But now, after this, you cant blame the guy. He's closing the door because Clarke just showed disrespect to him.

Anyhow, on the Pitt board, it says that Mark Madden, a good friend of Mario's, reported that Recchi will sign a 2-year contract with the Penguins...

Why don't you guys sign a flashy guy like Palffy. I mean he could mean business in Philly.
Palffy is a streaky scorer...not to mention the injuries.

Old
06-30-2004, 10:24 PM
FlyersFan10*

The more I read about Recchi leaving, the angrier I get. I mean, we pay dead weights like Leclair and Amonte big bucks, we beg Malakhov and Zhamnov to stay and they don't want our money, yet Mark wants to stay and we tell him that we have no interest until the CBA is resolved. This really stinks. Is there anyone else here besides me that doesn't see the logic in this line of thinking? If Malakhov and Zhamnov don't want our money and feel they aren't being treated fairly, send their sorry ***** back to Siberia then. Buy out Leclair and Amonte. It's short term pain for long term gain. Sign Recchi to a deal and let him retire a Flyer. Let him be the player that you mold and model your younger players around. I mean I just don't get it. Bobby spends his time trying to sign players who don't want to be here, keeping dead weights aboard with bloated salaries, and yet he has no interest in players who WANT to be here. What does that say about the organization? You know, I've been pretty lenient with Bobby and always felt he's been given the short end of the stick on several occasions by people on the board. However, I'm beginning to think that it's time to start looking at new management. We've accused players in the past of being organziational cancers, yet I'm beginning to wonder if the cancer is sitting in the GM chair.......

Old
06-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
You're loss is (hopefully) our gain.

Recchi left before I got into hockey, but regardless of that fact he was always a favorite of mine. A real class act who always gave it his all.

I'll welcome Recchi back to the Igloo with open arms, as every Penguins fan should. His heart never left this city, hopefully his body never has to either...except for road games of course.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
06-30-2004, 10:36 PM
Overtime

I agree. Rex should retire here.

Also, Ken Hitchcock wants Recchi back. How upset is he going to be with Clarke?

Old
06-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
The more I read about Recchi leaving, the angrier I get. I mean, we pay dead weights like Leclair and Amonte big bucks, we beg Malakhov and Zhamnov to stay and they don't want our money, yet Mark wants to stay and we tell him that we have no interest until the CBA is resolved. This really stinks. Is there anyone else here besides me that doesn't see the logic in this line of thinking? If Malakhov and Zhamnov don't want our money and feel they aren't being treated fairly, send their sorry ***** back to Siberia then. Buy out Leclair and Amonte. It's short term pain for long term gain. Sign Recchi to a deal and let him retire a Flyer. Let him be the player that you mold and model your younger players around. I mean I just don't get it. Bobby spends his time trying to sign players who don't want to be here, keeping dead weights aboard with bloated salaries, and yet he has no interest in players who WANT to be here. What does that say about the organization? You know, I've been pretty lenient with Bobby and always felt he's been given the short end of the stick on several occasions by people on the board. However, I'm beginning to think that it's time to start looking at new management. We've accused players in the past of being organziational cancers, yet I'm beginning to wonder if the cancer is sitting in the GM chair.......

Good post, well said.

Old
07-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Leclair and Amonte big bucks...
The problem is, Clarke just can't press a button and automatically make Amonte and LeClair play for free. Amonte's contract was decided by Phoenix (don't blame Clarke for the amount, blame him for acquiring him) and LeClair's was decided a couple of years ago when he was still a pretty productive player, and was actually being paid for all of the years he was underpaid, I might add.

So, getting mad at what Amonte and LeClair make will get you nothing because there simply is nothing Clarke can do, except buy them out of trade them; and even if one of those things happened they would still be on hook for some of their salary.

If Recchi really wanted to stay in Philadelphia, he could have waited under Clarke was ready to talk. His ultimatum shows me he really didn't want to stay here all that bad anyway.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:52 AM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
If Recchi really wanted to stay in Philadelphia, he could have waited under Clarke was ready to talk. His ultimatum shows me he really didn't want to stay here all that bad anyway.
I guess this is where we're going to disagree because I feel that Recchi was a true flyer in both times he was here. You never heard him complain, whine, ***** or anything like that. He's never made excuses for his play and has always given 100% when it comes to the team. No, Recchi had a right to give an ultimatum because he did everything for the Flyers and in return, he was informed nothing would be done for him until the CBA was looked after. Here's a man who deferred large chunks of his salary for the team so that the team could acquire elite players and then he's kicked squarely in the groin afterwards and informed "thanks for your years here Mark, but we don't want to sign you because we want to wait until the new CBA is in place and we need to sign Primeau, Zhamnov and Malakhov before we sign you. You aren't as important as they are." Right, and you wouldn't give an ultimatum if that were you either........

Old
07-01-2004, 08:36 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad

Or Clarke could have not said anything to the media, and simply make him an offer.

It's not Recchi's fault Zhamnov and Malakhov think they're going to get more on the open market. I'd hate to be their agents.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:29 AM
Flyers26

Please.. if he wants to go to Pittsburgh, a franchise just dying on the vine, see ya!! Enjoy losing!
If he stays, he'll be treated fairly, but I see clarkie's point on not offering a 36yr old $$$, without knowing what the future holds.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:39 AM
Pontifex Maximus*

Not Recchi news, but Flyers offered Timander a qualifying offer. In the AP story in the Inquirer.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:41 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Or Clarke could have not said anything to the media, and simply make him an offer.
What he said.

It all boils down to that. Clarke should have kept his mouth shut. There was no reason not to offer Recchi a modest contract before July 1. I'm a little angry at the whole organization today.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:04 AM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus
Not Recchi news, but Flyers offered Timander a qualifying offer. In the AP story in the Inquirer.
Thats awsome. I Really want to see timander back next season.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:35 AM
stanley

Quote:
He started to want to return to Pittsburgh since last summer but he didn't want to leave Philadelphia who was so good to him. But now, after this, you cant blame the guy. He's closing the door because Clarke just showed disrespect to him.
I can understand Recchi's interest in receiving a contract now instead of after September 15, but I can also understand Philadelphia's choice not to resign him. How in the world has Clarke shown Recchi disrespect? The guy is 37 years old and the Flyers spend WAY too much money on payroll relative to the rest of the league. Furthermore, they could be in serious trouble if a new bargaining agreement is reached which contains some sort of luxury tax or salary cap. Dr. K, if trading or not signing players because of financial situations is considered "disrespectful", then Clarke is one of the more respectful GMs around.

I don't see why the decision not to sign him has to be anything more than a business decision. "Disrespect," as it is used in this instance and in the sporting world in general, is utterly irrelevent and actually quite irritating (although you're not necessarily irritating, Dr. K).

I wish some people would disrespect me with millions of dollars to play a game.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:40 AM
stanley

Quote:
The more I read about Recchi leaving, the angrier I get. I mean, we pay dead weights like Leclair and Amonte big bucks, we beg Malakhov and Zhamnov to stay and they don't want our money, yet Mark wants to stay and we tell him that we have no interest until the CBA is resolved. This really stinks. Is there anyone else here besides me that doesn't see the logic in this line of thinking?
Despite what I just wrote, I agree with you, FF. Recchi asked for about two-thirds of what he received in his last contract, he's one of the few veterans who has consistently kept his play up, and he deferred money for the good of the organization when LeClair wouldn't.

I don't mind Clarke's firm stance with veterans, but I wish he'd apply a little more consideration to Recchi specifically.

Old
07-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Brad*

Quote:
I guess this is where we're going to disagree because I feel that Recchi was a true flyer in both times he was here. You never heard him complain, whine, ***** or anything like that. He's never made excuses for his play and has always given 100% when it comes to the team.
All true. I've always been a Recchi fan and I will continue to be, even if he is in Pittsburgh.

Quote:
No, Recchi had a right to give an ultimatum because he did everything for the Flyers and in return, he was informed nothing would be done for him until the CBA was looked after
It's sad how his Flyers career ended, but that's the way it had to be. Clarke didn't feel that sign a 36 year old Recchi before the CBA was a good idea, and honestly you can't blame him. How many productive years like last year does Recchi have left in him? Pittsburgh will sign him now because he won a Cup there, and holds a lot of sentimental value with the fans. Here, he needs to produce on a team that is supposed to be a Cup contender and Clarke (wisely) was cautious about handing out contracts to older players.

Quote:
"thanks for your years here Mark, but we don't want to sign you because we want to wait until the new CBA is in place and we need to sign Primeau, Zhamnov and Malakhov before we sign you. You aren't as important as they are
Like I said earlier, it's sad how it came to an end but that's just the business of hockey, and to be perfectly honest with you I don't think Recchi is all too upset about finishing his career in Pittsburgh.

Old
07-01-2004, 06:26 PM
Overtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
Please.. if he wants to go to Pittsburgh, a franchise just dying on the vine, see ya!! Enjoy losing!
If he stays, he'll be treated fairly, but I see clarkie's point on not offering a 36yr old $$$, without knowing what the future holds.
I can't believe people are blaming Recchi for a rumor he might be going to Pittsburgh because Bob Clarke didn't offer him a contract.

Enjoy losing? You think he doesn't want to stay here?

Old
07-02-2004, 08:06 AM
FlyersFan10*

This is my last post on the whole Recchi affair and then I'm done. I've read comments about not giving an older player money and that if Recchi enjoys losing he can leave for Pittsburgh and the likes. My thing is this. Recchi comes to play every game, every year. He never makes excuses for poor play and delivers. He is a model citizen and a model player that the organization should be molding their younger prospects around. He is not looking to break the bank with regards to a deal and has remained productive, even for a 36 year old. He is one of the team leaders and he has helped with getting everyone buy into Ken's game plan. Yet, his value isn't viewed very highly by the organization, other than Hitchcock who wants Mark to stay. Instead, our management team has decided that Malakhov and Zhamnov are more of a priority than Mark. However, neither player has accepted the very generous offers on the table and want more money. Here, we have two players that don't want to be here unless they are paid boat loads of money and we have one player who wants to stay, but management doesn't feel that he's as important as the two greedier players. Where's the logic in that? This now isn't about business, this is personal. I don't blame Recchi for giving an ultimatum. He wants to stay. He wants to stay!!!!! Yet, Clarke being the genious that he is doesn't recognize that fact. No, he'd rather try to sign two players who clearly don't want to be here. Where is the logic in that? Where is the business sense in that? What will probably happen is that all three players will leave, we'll be standing there with our pockets empty, and Clarke will be blaming everyone else for this debacle. No, it's time that Clarke and the rest of that joke of a management group get tossed to the curb. I'm beginning to agree with the rest of the Clarke haters - CLARKE MUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Closed Thread