HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

So if you are newy don't you have to trade Richards

Old
02-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Starsdude

vCash: 500
So if you are newy don't you have to trade Richards

The Dallas board generally disagrees but the realities are they have uncertain ownership, a below average defense and they could lose their best player for nothing at year end. I think they have to trade Richards which would bring at least a #1 and a good/excellent near ready prospect-who are the likely suitors and what is the return league-wide dallas could expect? Defensive prospects are a need and a decent center prospect/player, pp qb?

I personally would also trade Neal for young defense who benefits greatly from Richards but that is me.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Hockey is a business, and in that sense, they won't trade him before a playoff push if they're still division leaders. Every additional playoff game means millions of dollars in the pockets of the owners, so it is in THEIR best interest as a struggling franchise to make money. And by doing so, it can easily be justified as fans would be pretty pissed off if they traded Richards just before playoffs anyways.

The only deal that would see Richards shipped is a hefty package that send back another younger and less effective #1 center along with a package of picks/prospects.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Hockey is a business, and in that sense, they won't trade him before a playoff push if they're still division leaders. Every additional playoff game means millions of dollars in the pockets of the owners, so it is in THEIR best interest as a struggling franchise to make money. And by doing so, it can easily be justified as fans would be pretty pissed off if they traded Richards just before playoffs anyways.

The only deal that would see Richards shipped is a hefty package that send back another younger and less effective #1 center along with a package of picks/prospects.
No ones going to send a #1 Center (the most valuable position in Hockey) + picks and prospects for an expiring contract. IF he wants to leave, and he talks extension with the trading partner before the trade, then that's a different story...

discobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:10 AM
The Fuhr*

The goal is to win the cup... Richards worst case is the Stars playoff rental

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:11 AM
Miller Time NYR

If you know your not keeping him, an everyone else does, wouldn't he be of much less value since anyone could get him on July 1 if in fact he's not going to stay in Dallas. I don't think dallas is looking to move him, if they have a below avg defense and a lackluster offense they wouldn't be 2 points out of third in the west.... I think they stick with him and taken run at the playoffs.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:14 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
The Dallas board generally disagrees but the realities are they have uncertain ownership, a below average defense and they could lose their best player for nothing at year end. I think they have to trade Richards which would bring at least a #1 and a good/excellent near ready prospect-who are the likely suitors and what is the return league-wide dallas could expect? Defensive prospects are a need and a decent center prospect/player, pp qb?

I personally would also trade Neal for young defense who benefits greatly from Richards but that is me.

If Newy has any brains at all in his head, he'd see that Richards is a premier player in the NHL and do anything in his power to keep him and build around him. The Stars need better defence and some better depth, but thats about it. If they lose Richards....they have a lot to replace in my eyes. The only way I trade Richards at the deadline is if Richards asks for the trade, if he doesn't...then he stays and I re-sign him at the end of the season.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:15 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
If you know your not keeping him, an everyone else does, wouldn't he be of much less value since anyone could get him on July 1 if in fact he's not going to stay in Dallas. I don't think dallas is looking to move him, if they have a below avg defense and a lackluster offense they wouldn't be 2 points out of third in the west.... I think they stick with him and taken run at the playoffs.
No he doesn't have less value because he's no use to a team on July 1st when they want to win the cup this year.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:19 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
The goal is to win the cup... Richards worst case is the Stars playoff rental
^this

It would make sense to move him if the Stars were sitting well below a playoff spot...but they are 1 point out of 1st in their division. They need Richards right now.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:20 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
I would trade him because I think he is going to leave them unless they can match an offer from Toronto or New York. It would set the franchise back for years if he leaves for nothing, even if they win the Cup this year with him.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:23 AM
umwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I would trade him because I think he is going to leave them unless they can match an offer from Toronto or New York. It would set the franchise back for years if he leaves for nothing, even if they win the Cup this year with him.
This is Dallas we're talking about, if they won the cup they would be ecstatic at the earnings alone.

umwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Richards to Boston (E5)

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:49 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Buffalo has a center who is not nearly as productive in Tim Connolly, and they are are not in as good of a position to make the playoffs as Dallas. Most Sabres fans agree he is gone at the end of the season, yet the sane ones agree we can't trade him. Why? Playoff revenue matters.

No way would I move Richards.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:08 AM
fsanford

Guys with concussions (allegedly) are not exactly at the peak of their trade value. Richards could be back in a week or it could be a couple of months..

fsanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
Playoff revenue matters.
No way would I move Richards.
Richards is an asset that could bring a return that makes Dallas a perenial playoff team. If he walks at the end of the year, they'll be a team scraping to get into the playoffs for the forseable future. I love what Kari Lehtonen is doing for Dallas and my fantasy team this year, but let's not forget his injury history so quick. This team needs to beef up and spread the wealth through the roster rather than keep Richards as a rental for one playoff run. They need to get good and stay good every year like Nashville.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:30 AM
ecemleafs

depends where they sit on deadline day id imagine. if the stars continue to slide then they probably look to deal him. if they feel they can still make a deep run in the playoffs they keep him.

2 recent star players heading for FA at the deadline got dealt for a 1st, good prospect, roster player, young roster player.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:32 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Richards is an asset that could bring a return that makes Dallas a perenial playoff team. If he walks at the end of the year, they'll be a team scraping to get into the playoffs for the forseable future. I love what Kari Lehtonen is doing for Dallas and my fantasy team this year, but let's not forget his injury history so quick. This team needs to beef up and spread the wealth through the roster rather than keep Richards as a rental for one playoff run. They need to get good and stay good every year like Nashville.
Don't think Richards would bring in a return that could make Dallas a perennial playoff team, if he was actually being shopped I imagine the price would be late 1st + decent young player + good but not great prospect + salary dump. Nothing in that package is going to guarantee Dallas because a perennial playoff team.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:50 AM
Anonymous028

As a kings fan I'd give up a first, the stars choice of D prospect (voinov, hickey, muezzin, teubert), and a roster forward (i.e parse, ponikarovski, Richardson, Lewis) for James Neal in a heartbeat.

I could see a trade like that being much more beneficial for the stars than trading away Richards.

Anonymous028 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Puckgenius*

I still see Richards to Calgary. Stajan, Regehr and 3rd going back.

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Don't think Richards would bring in a return that could make Dallas a perennial playoff team, if he was actually being shopped I imagine the price would be late 1st + decent young player + good but not great prospect + salary dump. Nothing in that package is going to guarantee Dallas because a perennial playoff team.
One never knows... but Kovalchuk didn't bring anything that changed the fortunes of the Thrashers, for example. A 1st is nice. Oduya is a solid enough citizen. Cormier a decent banger. Bergfors is in and out. They made better trades and took more important steps forward with other deals, however.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous028 View Post
As a kings fan I'd give up a first, the stars choice of D prospect (voinov, hickey, muezzin, teubert), and a roster forward (i.e parse, ponikarovski, Richardson, Lewis) for James Neal in a heartbeat.

I could see a trade like that being much more beneficial for the stars than trading away Richards.
I wouldn't include the 1st and I would take Voynov and Lewis out of the mix.

Something more like Hickey/Muzzin/Teubert + Parse/Moller/Richardson and a 2nd round pick.

Regarding the OP: I think the Stars should trade Richards. Even if he re-signs he isn't going to be around long enough to see Dallas fix the problems on the blueline that need to be taken care of before they are legit contenders.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
No he doesn't have less value because he's no use to a team on July 1st when they want to win the cup this year.
I understand that but league wide, for a team like the rangers on the cusp of being a contender, he would he of lesser value, teams like the rangers and Toronto are not going to lay out assets for a guy that might or might not stay put. His value might not be lowered much but his market, and the amount of teams willing to pay what he's worth have decreased given his current situation. Or at least that's how I see it.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
cwgatti

Since Richards is comingto NYR anyway, and seeing how Neal is mentioned in the opening of the thread:

To NYR
Richards & Neal
To Dallas
MDZ, Grachev & a 1st rd. pick.

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:05 PM
Teamcanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
I still see Richards to Calgary. Stajan, Regehr and 3rd going back.
Cool, then he can come sign in Edmonton in the summer....

Teamcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatti View Post
Since Richards is comingto NYR anyway, and seeing how Neal is mentioned in the opening of the thread:

To NYR
Richards & Neal
To Dallas
Really ? I am not even a stars fan and i see that they would say No to that.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 12:07 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwgatti View Post

To NYR
Richards & Neal
To Dallas
Not enough.

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote