HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

So if you are newy don't you have to trade Richards

Old
02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
I think the idea that the Stars need to make the playoffs and win some games has more to do with keeping the fringe fanbase interested in the product rather than anysubstantial revenue from the playoff gate. It may work differently in the NHL but when the Texas Rangers went to the World Series I heard a radio interview with a sports business expert who broke down the actual monetary benefit that the Rangers would see from the extra games; it was minimal to say the least - not even in the million dollar range for a single home game, and that is dealing with a stadium that fits roughly 50,000 people with some tickets worth close to $1,000. If anybody has any specific facts regarding playoff profit for any specific team I'd love to have a look.

That said, it really hinges on how things play out in the next couple of weeks. If this slump turns into a tailspin then best to see what's out there in a trade. Making a trade for the sake of making a trade doesn't make sense but there are certain situations that would both help in the short and longterm.

*Also, for those spreading rumors that Richards may be out for the season that would be speculative at best. A concussion hasn't been confirmed (admittedly it probably wouldn't yet even if that's what it is) and right now he's only sitting out two games definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Boston would probably put together a Krejci + Tor 1st + Prospect offer if he agreed to an extension.

Something Like Krejci + Tor 1st + Colborne or Alexandrov I could see.
The only thing Richards has ever said regarding where he plays in the next few years is that he wants to make sure he is in a situation that is competing in the playoffs with a chance at winning championships. With Boston's goaltending situation, Chara anchoring the defense corp, and the strong team unit as a whole, I honestly don't think it would be difficult to get him to sign a reasonable extension (in the neighborhood of 5.25-6.5 mil/yr). That deal is something I could absolutely be on board with. It may even be a tad much coming back unless Toronto finishes outside of the top 4-5 picks.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:09 PM
LordHelmet

According to Heika, they aren't classifying it as "concussion-like symptoms".. Getting swiped in the jaw sucks. You have headaches for days, like a really bad extended hangover...

Also, GM Joe confirmed that they've talked alot about an extension and that Dallas wants to keep him..

Third, Dreger tweeted that there's progress on the team's sale. Nothing official, nothing signed, but there's some level of agreement in on a sale price..

So the answer to the thread title is no. Joe does not have to trade Richards. If he did, the AAC would be empty for years. I think they'd get to the point of eventually having another Phoenix-type situation.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:12 PM
doofydoofer08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
Boston would probably put together a Krejci + Tor 1st + Prospect offer if he agreed to an extension.

Something Like Krejci + Tor 1st + Colborne or Alexandrov I could see.
keep dreaming man thats way to much from the bruins for just richards

doofydoofer08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I think the idea that the Stars need to make the playoffs and win some games has more to do with keeping the fringe fanbase interested in the product rather than anysubstantial revenue from the playoff gate. It may work differently in the NHL but when the Texas Rangers went to the World Series I heard a radio interview with a sports business expert who broke down the actual monetary benefit that the Rangers would see from the extra games; it was minimal to say the least - not even in the million dollar range for a single home game, and that is dealing with a stadium that fits roughly 50,000 people with some tickets worth close to $1,000. If anybody has any specific facts regarding playoff profit for any specific team I'd love to have a look.

That said, it really hinges on how things play out in the next couple of weeks. If this slump turns into a tailspin then best to see what's out there in a trade. Making a trade for the sake of making a trade doesn't make sense but there are certain situations that would both help in the short and longterm.

*Also, for those spreading rumors that Richards may be out for the season that would be speculative at best. A concussion hasn't been confirmed (admittedly it probably wouldn't yet even if that's what it is) and right now he's only sitting out two games definitely.

The only thing Richards has ever said regarding where he plays in the next few years is that he wants to make sure he is in a situation that is competing in the playoffs with a chance at winning championships. With Boston's goaltending situation, Chara anchoring the defense corp, and the strong team unit as a whole, I honestly don't think it would be difficult to get him to sign a reasonable extension (in the neighborhood of 5.25-6.5 mil/yr). That deal is something I could absolutely be on board with. It may even be a tad much coming back unless Toronto finishes outside of the top 4-5 picks.
This is a great assessment from a Dallas fan. Thank you.

Not only does it point to him staying and making the playoffs and bringing in revenue, but it also looks realistically about how they will assess things in the coming weeks.

Finally, for a signed Richards teams need to bring the young 1st line potential talent that is already proven. I also agree on Krejci because he would have an impact taking Richards' spot in the lineup tomorrow at half the cost to the GM. His offensive abilites with fast wingers in Dallas would be a great return, not to mention the current lottery pick that would also be a player that would fight for a spot in the fall and attract interest from the casual fan as the new young star.

Unless Toronto is offering Kessel or New York is offering Gaborik, why would Dallas settle for prospects when they can have Richards sign and trade and bring in proven talent? I think Krejci is a great talent but you have to give to get here and giving prospects and AHLers doesn't make a GM move a top ten scorer in the NHL.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote