HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Subban or Schenn: Who ya got?

Old
02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 500
Surprise surprise! Subban is losing a poll vs Schenn on the main board!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:36 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
It's the same both ways. The only people who would take Subban over Schenn consistently are Habs fans.

Was Jovanovksi ever a #1? Scott Stevens was definitely a #1 calibre guy. Why can't Schenn be? He has been excellent, especially since the middle of last year and consistently plays 25-26 minutes a game.
schenn #1 guy ....wtf are you smoking

Schenn is a decent #4 dman and nothing else ...he has already peaked

I can find Schenn in free agency ...ie...Scuderi...Orpik ...etc...

Pk will never be available

PK has a chance to a top 10 Dman in the game

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

I like them both but I would chose Subban because he offers more offense and his defensive game is not that far behind Schenn's. PK will be in the running for a few Norris trophies in his career while Schenn will only be known as a shutdown guy.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:21 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrun View Post
IMO i think he is talking quality minutes not just minutes. If crosby or ovenchkin is on the ice do you guys send Schenn? I would not know i dont watch many leafs games. I thought you guys used Phaneuf and Aullie as a shutdown pair or something. Here in montreal pk is used everywhere (mainly because of injures).
Yes, plays on the #1 PK unit, and is usually used to shut down top offensive players. Difference is it is not due to injuries, a full D corps and he is still used in both situations.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:32 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Yes, plays on the #1 PK unit, and is usually used to shut down top offensive players. Difference is it is not due to injuries, a full D corps and he is still used in both situations.
Maybe that explains why Toronto's PK is 28th in the league and Montreal's is 6th. Just because Schenn plays on the #1 unit, doesn't necessarily mean he's good at it (just saying that for argument sake, I know he's a good PKer).

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
habtastic

It's not even debatable. It's close to being. But it's not. How can they admit that the one good player (future) they have is vastly inferior to the young, bright face of our franchise? Even a rational Leafs fan will find a way to be irrational in this case because they know it to be true...and it hurts.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:48 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prudentius View Post
As I already mentionned I'd take Subban over Schenn at this point but people saying Subban defensive game is excellent are stupid. Of course he is a rookie, so it's fine by me... but he loses a lot of puck battles deep in our zone against top line and he sometimes look weak on his skates. Anyone saying otherwise isn't paying enough attention.
Correct, but I would still take him over Schenn

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:54 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Joker View Post
In 3 years time, Subban will probably be an elite offensive defenseman. Think Brent Burns.

In 3 years time, Schenn will probably be an elite defensive defenseman. Think Brent Seabrook.

Now, what I'd encourage every Hab and Leaf fan to do (in order to cut down on homerism factoring into the discussion) is to ask themselves: Who would you rather have - Burns or Seabrook?

Speaking personally, I probably have a slight preference for Burns (and hence Subban by extension). But I can understand why someone would prefer a safe defensive rock like Seabrook.
I have respectfully disagree with these comparisons.

Burns is not an elite offensive defenceman. He is big and mobile with a hard shot but lacks elite puck handling skills and vison/creativity. He is a more mobile version of Pavel Kubina.

Subban is such a unique talent that it is hard to find a suitable comparison........I'd have to say that he is more of a mix of Mike Geen and Al Iafrate.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:43 AM
Darch

This is comparing apples and oranges. They are both good young players with very promising careers.

I watch both teams play, and I can say they are both fun to watch. Subban is more flashy. Schenn is much more solid defensively. Personally, I'd go with Schenn, as I believe in defense first.

Darch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:25 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Can't pick on Karlsson so we gotta pick on Schenn now..?

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote