HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Pittsburgh scouts out and about

Old
02-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Pittsburgh scouts out and about

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/pit110215.html

Don't know how reliable it is. According to it Pittsburgh are after Voracek, Hemsky and Kovalev. Not sure how receptive I'd be of Kovalev, but Voracek and Hemsky I'd be delighted with.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Not sure how making deals this season will help the pens. Crosby and Malkin should be look at as a blessing in disguise, in that it will allow the team to draft a solid NHL player, higher in the draft than they usually would to address a need. Trading future assets and/or draft picks would be a bad idea considering there's no chance they will go on a run this season.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
I don't know how much Hemsky makes but I wouldn't want him for over $3. He's definitely worth $3-4, it's just that he's a pass first guy. We need scorers. I rather have Voracek because IMO he would be easier to acquire.

I assume either Tangradi, Despres, or Gogo would have to be the center piece of either deal.

Is Gogo for Voracek fair?
What about Tangradi + Jeffrey?

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Not sure how making deals this season will help the pens. Crosby and Malkin should be look at as a blessing in disguise, in that it will allow the team to draft a solid NHL player, higher in the draft than they usually would to address a need. Trading future assets and/or draft picks would be a bad idea considering there's no chance they will go on a run this season.
Making a deal this season could help next season, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
I don't know how much Hemsky makes but I wouldn't want him for over $3. He's definitely worth $3-4, it's just that he's a pass first guy. We need scorers. I rather have Voracek because IMO he would be easier to acquire.

I assume either Tangradi, Despres, or Gogo would have to be the center piece of either deal.

I personally think it's pretty fair as the base of a deal, but it's been discussed plenty and I don't think both sides have ever agreed.

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Even without Malkin, I think Crosby-Hemsky, with Pittsburgh's defense, would make them a threat in the post-season.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

Not sure the Pens have the firepower to land a Voracek or a Hemsky.

Kovalev? I could see, but unlikely.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:53 PM
Rakunitz23

Already knew about the scouts, and the Hemsky and Voracek talk has no real base, just looking for hits obviously.

Plus I'd rather Regin anyway

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post

What about Tangradi + Jeffrey?
From today's Dregger report:

"In Edmonton, Hemsky has to be the Oilers main offensive component. But his critics will tell you he's too individualistic and the play often dies in his hands.

For that reason, expect Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini to start listening more closely to the offers that will pour in leading up to the trade deadline.

As a second liner, Hemsky is viewed as a can't miss star and would add another scoring dimension for any team willing to pay a price - that's sure to include a first round pick and highly touted prospect. "

Darth Bangkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 03:55 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Even without Malkin, I think Crosby-Hemsky, with Pittsburgh's defense, would make them a threat in the post-season.
That's only if Crosby is back by then from his concussion, and if he's back to as good as he was prior to the concussion. Most players who return from concussions, even if they're actually 100% over the symptoms, still take a few games to get back into their old groove.

Also, the Pens will still have the same issue they had even with Sid and Geno healthy -- which is a lack of offensive depth in their top six. Hemsky would basically be taking over for Malkin as the only other offensive player after Sid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the acquiring Hemsky bandwagon, but I don't think even if they acquire him he'll be enough to make them a legitimate Cup contender this season. Next year when Geno, Sid and Hemsky are on the team? Perhaps. But not this year.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

If the Pens scouts wouldnt be out that would be crazy . They need all the help up front that they can get . The lines are AHL~NHL right now.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:17 PM
pitpenguins95

I've been noticing that many people believe that the penguins dont have a chance of going far this year. I've also been hearing lots about Hemsky.........Has anyone thought about the penguins picking up more than 1 person at this years trade deadline????

pitpenguins95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:19 PM
EastCoastEdmund

People down on the Pens like crazy. Malkin wasn't playing close to his best hockey this year. Not only have Crosby and Malkin been out recently so has Kunitz (whos having a pretty good season) and Arron Asham. Also Cooke has missed the last couple. The defense is ridiculously good and MAF has been playing great. Not to mention Letang could get the Norris.
If Crosby comes back this team is definitely a contender of course bringing in Kovalev (which I firmly believe will happen because he's gonna be cheap and Pittsburgh has the cap space for it) and possibly Hemsky or Arnott or another veteran, they'll be good. That 12 game winning streak was all Crosby and Fleury. Malkin really helps but he wasn't this year.
Ever heard "defense wins championships"?

I'd love for the Penguins to lose a 2nd and a 4th to bring in Arnott (heard his name outside this thread) and Kovalev.

EastCoastEdmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:19 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Wouldnt be out of question for sure . It depends if Crosby is coming back in time or not.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:24 PM
pitpenguins95

How about someone like Milan Hejduk? 45 pts with a bad team this year. they're most likely not making the playoffs. why wouldnt they want to deal him?

Old
02-16-2011, 04:33 PM
ds246pit

I think the Penguins have a unique opportunity to do something both short-term and long-term at this deadline. Given the cap space now and the cap space available for wingers (and lack of options in the UFA pool in the offseason), i hope that Shero is looking to add a rental (Kovalev) and a long-term winger fix (Hemsky, Booth!, Voracek, etc). Realistically i have no idea if it is possible but imo that is what he should do. If he can add 2 players at the deadline and Sid/Kunitz/Letestu/Jeffrey/Asham/Cooke all come back then this team has a legit shot of making some noise. In addition going into next season with our entire defense intact along with healthy Crosby/Malkin/Staal and a Hemsky/Voracek would make them scary for next year.

ds246pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
pitpenguins95

How many of these are possible?? could pittsburgh ever bring in multiple players?

Alex Kovalev (OTT) (13G, 13A, 26PTS)
Jason Arnott (NJD) (13G,11A, 24PTS)
Ales Hemsky (EDM) (10G, 25A, 35PTS)
Dustin Penner (EDM) (20G, 16A, 36PTS)
James Neal (DAL) (20G, 17A, 37 PTS)
Jamie Benn (DAL) (13G, 20A, 33PTS)
Jakub Voracek(CBJ) (10G, 26A, 36)
Milan Hejduk (COL) (17G, 28A, 45PTS)
Ville Leino (PHI) (13G, 26A, 39PTS)
Radim Vrabata (PHX) (15G, 18A, 33PTS)
Curtis Glencross (CGY) (19G, 11A, 30PTS)

Old
02-16-2011, 04:54 PM
pitpenguins95

could anyone ever see any of these players with the penguins?

Old
02-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Rakunitz23

All of these options are too much for a team missing their 2nd best player. Hejduk keeps signing 1 year deals because he's unsure how long he will remain in the league. Hemsky is injury prone, and Edmonton is asking too much, he'll be headed to LA because they will offer up entirely too much in the hopes of making the playoffs, and going far. Arnott....meh. We have enough centers.

My ideal candidates are Regin and Kovalev. I know nobody has thrown around Regin's name, but he's signed for $1 million for the next 2 or 3 years, and torched us a few times in the playoffs. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for both, and I don't think Murray turns that down. If we acquired both, and don't make it far in the playoffs, we still have 7.7 million in cap space next year(assuming a $3 million increase), and 6 forward spots to fill. Plus, everyone forgets we have Comrie coming back for the playoffs. Even without Malkin, I think we can field a playoff worthy team.

Regin-Crosby-Kovy
Kunitz-Staal-Comrie
Cooke-Talbot-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis

Asham/Godard/Conner/Letestu all available to fill voids, or for matchup preferences

Next year,

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Regin-Malkin-Staal
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Rupp-Adams-Talbot
Comrie/Godard

Give Comrie a Mark Eaton retribution style contract, and bring back everyone else for what they currently make, and we are obvious cup contenders again, with around $4 million in cap space. However, PK unit takes a hit, which makes me hesitant not to bring Dupuis back.

Rakunitz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:09 PM
SkullSplitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
Voracek would be a long-term deal

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:11 PM
pitpenguins95

what about a guy like penner? 6-4, 245. he's huge and can rack up some points. also, kovalev. and add a guy like voracek. and hejduk........would it ever be possible to get alllll these people?

Old
02-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Selke BylsmAdams

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitpenguins95 View Post
what about a guy like penner? 6-4, 245. he's huge and can rack up some points. also, kovalev. and add a guy like voracek. and hejduk........would it ever be possible to get alllll these people?
Yeah ... in a world where the salary cap didn't exist.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
pitpenguins95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Yeah ... in a world where the salary cap didn't exist.
im talking about a world which it does exist. its possible

Old
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakunitz23 View Post
All of these options are too much for a team missing their 2nd best player. Hejduk keeps signing 1 year deals because he's unsure how long he will remain in the league. Hemsky is injury prone, and Edmonton is asking too much, he'll be headed to LA because they will offer up entirely too much in the hopes of making the playoffs, and going far. Arnott....meh. We have enough centers.

My ideal candidates are Regin and Kovalev. I know nobody has thrown around Regin's name, but he's signed for $1 million for the next 2 or 3 years, and torched us a few times in the playoffs. I'd be willing to give up a 1st for both, and I don't think Murray turns that down. If we acquired both, and don't make it far in the playoffs, we still have 7.7 million in cap space next year(assuming a $3 million increase), and 6 forward spots to fill. Plus, everyone forgets we have Comrie coming back for the playoffs. Even without Malkin, I think we can field a playoff worthy team.

Regin-Crosby-Kovy
Kunitz-Staal-Comrie
Cooke-Talbot-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis

Asham/Godard/Conner/Letestu all available to fill voids, or for matchup preferences

Next year,

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Regin-Malkin-Staal
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Rupp-Adams-Talbot
Comrie/Godard

Give Comrie a Mark Eaton retribution style contract, and bring back everyone else for what they currently make, and we are obvious cup contenders again, with around $4 million in cap space. However, PK unit takes a hit, which makes me hesitant not to bring Dupuis back.
1st for Regin and Kovalev, i dont think we could refuse that, as promising as regin is.

regin's only got 1 year left @1M though, btw. He is RFA after that though.

02-16-2011, 05:32 PM
vecens24

Quote:

Regin-Crosby-Kovy
Kunitz-Staal-Comrie
Cooke-Talbot-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis

Next year,

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Regin-Malkin-Staal
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Rupp-Adams-Talbot
Comrie/Godard

If you have Comrie pencilled into our top 6, you did not watch a game that he played in this season. please explain to me how Letestu, Conner or Asham aren't 130019032409X better than Comrie. Becuase it's not physically or mentally possible.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:37 PM
JJM777

Quote:

Regin-Crosby-Kovy
Kunitz-Staal-Comrie
Cooke-Talbot-TK
Rupp-Adams-Dupuis

Next year,

Kunitz-Crosby-Jeffrey
Regin-Malkin-Staal
Cooke-Letestu-TK
Rupp-Adams-Talbot
Comrie/Godard

Thank goodness you aren't the Pens GM offering a 1st for Regin and Kovalev. They will basically give Kovalev away for anything they can get because not many teams can take on his salary cap figure comfortably and on the other side he only plays when he wants to so how many GM's wanna give up something significant for someone who might not show up? Regin may have promise but not enough IMO to give up a first round pick for. Comrie coming back for the playoffs means nothing haha

JJM777 is offline   Reply With Quote