HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Million dollar question (Gillis on the Deadline)

Old
02-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Million dollar question (Gillis on the Deadline)

Pretty decent article, and if you look hard enough, perhaps a subtle shot at Brian Burke.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/...ector_canucks/

Quote:
Between injuries and a salary cap that's been crowding the Vancouver Canucks all season long; the impending trade deadline presents Canucks GM Mike Gillis with more questions than answers.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:23 PM
FiveAndGame

Interesting read. I also really enjoyed the dig at Burke.

FiveAndGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:30 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

$1 mil player?

Reasoner PLEASE.

Thank you.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:31 PM
wholesickcrew

LMG, and especially Junior Nelson, will not be happy.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:44 PM
Bleach Clean

I like this quote from Gillis:

"We built our team in the summer for that very reason," Gillis said. "The trade deadline is too unpredictable. You overpay. Look at the analysis over past 10 years of deadline deals: maybe 1% of them have had a discernable effect at the outcome of the Stanley Cup."

He voices what I hope occurs at the deadline: Nothing - or next to nothing. Somewhat decent 4th line C addition not withstanding.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Tact

Here comes a blockbuster trade!

I'm surprised he never said Sami Salo was our deadline acquisition.

Tact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 05:57 PM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I like this quote from Gillis:

"We built our team in the summer for that very reason," Gillis said. "The trade deadline is too unpredictable. You overpay. Look at the analysis over past 10 years of deadline deals: maybe 1% of them have had a discernable effect at the outcome of the Stanley Cup."

He voices what I hope occurs at the deadline: Nothing - or next to nothing. Somewhat decent 4th line C addition not withstanding.
okay seriously though, how did he come up with that number? I'd like to see his methodology.

no big deals needed though, but we do need some additional centre depth.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:02 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Not to derail the thread, but this again begs the question: why was Brendan Morrison not signed for the fourth line if toughness on that line is not an issue?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Jarko2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Not to derail the thread, but this again begs the question: why was Brendan Morrison not signed for the fourth line if toughness on that line is not an issue?
cap space? cheaper alternative?

Jarko2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarko2004 View Post
cap space? cheaper alternative?
...He signed for $750,000. That was a mistake. And where is the jab at Burke in that article? I missed it.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:18 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
...He signed for $750,000. That was a mistake. And where is the jab at Burke in that article? I missed it.
May not have been intentional but:

Quote:
"Rather than looking to be more - what's the word? - truculent, (Red Wings GM) Kenny Holland just sits there with Darren Helm and Jiri Hudler on his fourth line. I know Jiri Hudler puts the fear of God into me, just mentioning his name.
Hey, I said it was subtle.

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Ernie

Actually, it's not that subtle. Pretty much a straight up jab.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:25 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
You're not going to believe this. I just checked and we're the best team in the league. Maybe Gillis knows what he's doing?

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:34 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Too many guys getting hard-ons when it comes to deadline day. I cringed when my buddy incorrectly told me Vancouver had acquired Ian White and his 3 mill a year contract...

Gillis has done a good job and since I last checked, the nucks are still the best team in the league. If there was a trade on the table, I would hope that it would be for a half-decent 3rd or 4th line guy at around the 1 million mark.

This team might not be playing 650 or 700 hockey till the end of the season, but after the core group of injured players come back, they'll be more than alright. Who knows, these injures might be a blessing in disguise...

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:38 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
He didn't fit with our group. A guy a lot closer to that group than any of us made the decision and people really need to move on.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:42 PM
tantalum

Quote:
IN all likelihood the thinking was that a 4th line center won't make or break the team in the regular season. He had time to assess IF Bolduc could grow into the role as the season progressed. He also likely counted on Hodgson developing the first half of the season (and it seems he did but then got hurt) and that Hodgson would be a possibility the back half of the year (Still might be). IN short, he addressed the major issues in the summer and left an issue or two that were easier to address during the season (i.e. easier than the other issues he had to address).

Gillis will pick up a vet or two to play in the bottom 6 and/or 13th forward.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
The National Hockey League is vigilant about teams who hide players on the injury list until the cap is lifted come playoff time. The league - and Vancouver's first-round opponent - will require stiff medical evidence that Ballard's knee would not let him play before Apr. 15, if the Canucks attempt to bring him back for Game 1 of the playoffs. Same with Hamhuis.
I'm not sure how they do this without violating doctor-patient confidentiality...

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:47 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
You're not going to believe this. I just checked and we're the best team in the league. Maybe Gillis knows what he's doing?
So Bolduc was a better choice than Morrison huh. Gillis botched that one but it doesnt matter, he's still done an amazing job.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1125
I think the final piece is a fourth line center, with 1m to play around with there should be something out there for Gillis to acquire.

Interesting to note that they're speculating Gillis acquiring a depth D man, it makes perfect sense though given the injuries on the blueline but I still think the 4th line C should be priority.

Winnipeg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 06:53 PM
BoHorvatFan

There's no doubt deadline day is the most overrated day in sports. It's a TSN created joke really, I can't believe people miss school or work to see hockey trades announced. I mean does it really matter if you find out about a trade at 9am or 5pm? same trade. OMG I have to know right now, I have to follow twitter and tsn and pay for rumour sites I MUST know now!!!!

The Alberts trade ended up being fantastic and that's the type of deal we need to make. Add a depth player for a mid-late round pick.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Shareefruck

I don't agree with doing nothing at the deadline-- A 4th line center, and possibly a 30 point left-winger would make a world of difference.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Tarot Sport*

Quote:
So Bolduc was a better choice than Morrison huh. Gillis botched that one but it doesnt matter, he's still done an amazing job.
As a fourth line centre, yes. Brendan Morrison isn't a fourth line centre. It's nice to plug him in on hypothetical fourth lines and scream like little girls, but he's not a fourth line centre, especially on this team. Henrik, Kesler and Malhotra have been dominating the centre minutes all season long.

Tarot Sport* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:19 PM
medhatcanuck

Just to clarify. 1 million dollars is our cap space.
If an additional player comes in that mean a player's salary comes out. The only position that I think we need is a 3rd line winger, preferably a center who can play wing. If any of our centers get hurt, Glass would be our shutdown Center, scary...
From watching the team only 3 players in my mind are even close to dead weight.

1. Victor Oreskovich (~670,000)- We would be able to get around a 1.6 million dollar player if Oreskovich gets sent back down.

2. Jeff Tambellini (500,000)- Van could get: 1.5 million dollar player. Jeff has shown with confidence and good linemates he can contribute, he has also shown in a 3rd line position he is useless. He is best on the 4th line, even though he doesn't really fit there.

3. Raffi Torres (1,000,000)- van could get:2 million dollar player. Torres has dragged the 3rd line down, but I would like him on our 4th line. Losing him means the biggest return, the guy is no longer a inconsistent wild card, he's more of a incapable producer. That said, he's got the most experience out of these guys.

Action Plan: Torres to 4th line. Orekovich back to AHL.
Pick up 1.6 million dollar 3rd line player. Grabner would've been perfect, but what can be said.

Marty Reasoner would fit the bill if he could play wing on the 3rd line.
For the first time as canuck fans we can pretty much predict any trades this deadline.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:24 PM
RobertKron

Quote:
Just because toughness wasn't an issue doesn't mean that there weren't other criteria that he didn't meet.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
There's no doubt deadline day is the most overrated day in sports. It's a TSN created joke really, I can't believe people miss school or work to see hockey trades announced. I mean does it really matter if you find out about a trade at 9am or 5pm? same trade. OMG I have to know right now, I have to follow twitter and tsn and pay for rumour sites I MUST know now!!!!

The Alberts trade ended up being fantastic and that's the type of deal we need to make. Add a depth player for a mid-late round pick.
All I do is get TSN texts.

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote