HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Million dollar question (Gillis on the Deadline)

Old
02-16-2011, 08:28 PM
Lard_Lad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
There's no doubt deadline day is the most overrated day in sports. It's a TSN created joke really, I can't believe people miss school or work to see hockey trades announced. I mean does it really matter if you find out about a trade at 9am or 5pm?
Of course it does. If you don't know about it until 5, you can't start a thread (or five) on hfboards about it. I've never done it myself, but I can only assume there's some sort of huge cash prize associated with being the first to post a trade in here.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 08:45 PM
medhatcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrikSedinFan View Post
There's no doubt deadline day is the most overrated day in sports. It's a TSN created joke really, I can't believe people miss school or work to see hockey trades announced. I mean does it really matter if you find out about a trade at 9am or 5pm? same trade. OMG I have to know right now, I have to follow twitter and tsn and pay for rumour sites I MUST know now!!!!

The Alberts trade ended up being fantastic and that's the type of deal we need to make. Add a depth player for a mid-late round pick.
Every trade deadline day, i miss all my classes, stay in bed and do nothing. It's a me day and trade deadline is my excuse. don't hate us.

medhatcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:05 PM
timw33

People get way too caught up in the deadline thinking that acquiring the big stars will put a team over the top, but thats not the reality. Often when the big stars are dealt their teams maybe get to the 2nd round. Forsberg to NSH and Tkachuk to ATL stick out (Brad Richards to Dallas also didn't give them much results). They had so little impact they didn't get out of the first round and both teams lost 1st round picks and other goodies.

Remember when Calgary was declared the deadline winner in when they acquired Olli Jokinen and the Canucks didn't respond in kind so everyone was freaking out that they would have the winning edge cause they made a "big" deal.

Its the unheralded deals that usually have the most positive, albeit subtle, impacts. We definitely need a 4th line centre, this much is clear.

If our D-core gets healthy for the playoffs, do we need another depth dman? Probably not. If we get everyone back we're looking at

Edler Ehrhoff Bieksa Hamhuis Salo Ballard Alberts Rome at the NHL level, which is insane, and the kind of depth you need for a deep playoff run. Will all our D be healthy is another question entirely, but we shouldn't use any key assets to acquire a d-man. Maybe a bottom pairing kind of guy for a mid round pick or a prospect we don't need would suffice.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Catamarca Livin

Sound like no big deals are coming from Vancouver. I would love to get a physical replacement for Raymond but probably will not happen. I think Hodgson will be the Canucks 4th line center come playoff time. Our center depth is a weakness however Bolduc, Blizak can fill the 4th line role while in an emergency Hodgson would fill one of the top three. Reasoner is an upgrade. There is room for a Winchester or McCormick player on the 4th line. They would be upgrades on Volpatti and Oreskovich. Tough to be a rookie in playoff play.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Peter Griffin

A 3rd liner who can play both center and wing would be a great addition for this team. So more size in the top 9 would be nice as well.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
I'm not sure how they do this without violating doctor-patient confidentiality...
You bring in an independent doctor.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Reign Nateo

I agree with him. Trade deadline is overrated. GMs get crazy. Just bring in a responsible forward with some sand and I'm happy.

Deep, well-coached teams win the Cup when everything breaks just right, not whatever team gets the biggest UFAs to be at the deadline.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:02 PM
The Big Foot

"If a player is healthy, say, on Apr. 1, and the team can't fit them under the cap until season's end, it is conceivable that player would be deemed ineligible for the playoffs."

He just made this up, I wouldn't be concerned about this at all. Wetcoaster has refuted this many times if I recall correctly.

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Moobles

When you sign an NHL contract, you likely waive that right as part of the contract, agreeing to disclosure of any existing medical records or records in the case of injury to the team. Same as the way they sign to comply with random drug testing.

Quote:
I'm not sure how they do this without violating doctor-patient confidentiality...

Moobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
You bring in an independent doctor.
Can the NHL force you to see a doctor? Doesn't the patient have rights?

Quote:
When you sign an NHL contract, you likely waive that right as part of the contract, agreeing to disclosure of any existing medical records or records in the case of injury to the team. Same as the way they sign to comply with random drug testing.
Possibly, idk, that's why I'm asking.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:01 PM
David71

he's keeping his cards tight. sure hamhuis is starting light workouts, maybe he might have a setback? ballard is good/ready to go. in 2-3weeks time. a move or 2* minor one will probably make teh nucks team even stronger/deeper.

David71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:07 PM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Can the NHL force you to see a doctor? Doesn't the patient have rights?

Possibly, idk, that's why I'm asking.
Well, I'm glad you asked because....No! The patient does'nt have rights. The whole doctor patient thing is a crock - especially if you get hurt at work. If you ever do get a workplace injury, ask for a disclosure. You'd be amazed at the conversations that the compensation place or insurance company have with your employer. Your employer will know everything from your psychological state to your physiotherapy to whatever pension you may get or if you have a nasty hemorrhoid - everything.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-16-2011, 11:35 PM
DanyHeatleyfnAllstar
French Coach!

We're getting Kovalchuk.

DanyHeatleyfnAllstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:00 AM
Jrtu