HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Luke Schenn vs PK Subban

View Poll Results: Which young dman for your team?
Luke Schenn 134 43.93%
PK Subban 136 44.59%
Different players. Equal value. 35 11.48%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
How is it senseless? Have you seen threads involving him? Remove the haters and it's true, the voting isn't close anymore.
The fact that when someone states an opinion of Subban that is not in his favor, and all of a sudden they must be a "hater", I would say borders senseless.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
I love HFBoards so so so much. It's threads like this that are the brick-and-mortar of all the idiocy.

Only a moron would take the "safe" defensive d-man over a potential homerun.

Schenn will never be a #1, he just doesn't have the offense for it.

Subban is playing as a #1, on a playoff team right now.

So in what world would anybody take Schenn over Subban?

And I really like Schenn.
A team with shutdown holes in their D corps would.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Mr Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Wow, surprise to see the poll that close. Subban has by far the largest crew of haters on HF. Remove their votes from Schenn and Subban runs away with this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Best Thing View Post
Small correction if I may....

If Flyers fans votes would be taken out of the equasion Subban would win easily.
Ya and if you take out every type of fan's votes out except for Toronto, Schenn would be running away with it... You've got to be kidding me; as if nobody hates Toronto

Three can play at this stupid game:

Joey Crabb is better than Alexander Ovechkin, did you see that shorthanded goal last night against Ryan Miller? The only reason he doesn't gave more career points than Ovie is because he's not comfortable playing in front of a crowd. "If the fans were not able to attend hockey games, and were taken out of the equaTion, Crabb would easily be better."

Mr Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:35 PM
SlowShot

Not really sure how people can say Schenn and Subban are close defensively. Every time I watch the Habs I generally see Subban make a mistake that has the potential to be costly in his own zone. Schenn on the other hand I hardly ever see that from.

Defensively its easily Schenn.
Offensively its easily Subban.

Basically just comes down to your teams needs.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
I love HFBoards so so so much. It's threads like this that are the brick-and-mortar of all the idiocy.

Only a moron would take the "safe" defensive d-man over a potential homerun.

Schenn will never be a #1, he just doesn't have the offense for it.

Subban is playing as a #1, on a playoff team right now.

So in what world would anybody take Schenn over Subban?

And I really like Schenn.
Schenn is number #1 defensemen on the Leafs right now... People make the argument Schenn is number #1 only because he's only a crappy team. Subban is only #1 because MTLs top 2 defenders are out with injuries.

Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Montreal Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanta Yo View Post
The fact that when someone states an opinion of Subban that is not in his favor, and all of a sudden they must be a "hater", I would say borders senseless.
When did I say anything like that? It's true he has far more haters than Schenn. Whenever there is a thread involving him people complain. Be it a fight, a hit or just a play, they find something to criticize. That is senseless and you're completely blind if you don't see it. Some of the criticism he gets is justified, but a lot of it is just pure idiocy.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
KristoLeblanc*

Two games in a row where Subban plays 29:00 minutes.

Gotta love the Subban make more mistake than Schenn... Schenn has twice more turnover than Subban. He is the one who makes more mistakes.

KristoLeblanc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
stubbadub

Schenn will be a more shut down guy, but that Subban is someone who's gonna win a really special game for us some day. Or lose a really pivotal one. I bet Subban doesn't outlast Schenn but has a more electrifying career. Kinda like the Crosby and Ovechkin comparisons. Apples and Oranges.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Sensfanman

Like I said before, Subban and it's not close.

Schenn is a great shut down defenseman but this assumes shut down defensemen are somehow as valuable as offensive dynamos. Fact is, if you look at Standings points vs Hits and Blocks...they don't add much, if anything. Of course hits and blocks aren't the only components of defense and yes, Schenn is great positionally, and nullifying offense but the fact of the matter is, Subban has so much more to his game. Offensive talent is more valuable in the NHL and that's why Subban > Schenn.

Sensfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:13 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by subbanged View Post
Alright simple question name the ten top defenseman in the league,

(in no order)

Lidstrom
Pronger
Doughty
Keith
Boyle
Timmonen
Markov(when Healthy)
Kabarle
Chara

What do they all have in common? They can play offense
If you think those are the best defensemen in the NHL, I can understand why you're so misguided.

Kaberle isn't even the best defenseman on his team.

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:36 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

anyone watch the game last night?

hall runs around subban and hits eberle for a goal

and people think this guy can play defense

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Thrillingbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristoLeblanc View Post
Two games in a row where Subban plays 29:00 minutes.

Gotta love the Subban make more mistake than Schenn... Schenn has twice more turnover than Subban. He is the one who makes more mistakes.
Congrats? Weber played almost 28 minutes tonight too, by your rational Weber > Schenn. Subban directly caused the GWG tonight, nice to see you just ignore that one.

Last edited by Thrillingbroom: 02-18-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Thrillingbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:43 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Subban is and will always be the more well rounded dman. I have to chose him. Schenn is good at what he does but he is one dimensional and will never be a top paring guy and that limits his value.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:48 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
Not really sure how people can say Schenn and Subban are close defensively. Every time I watch the Habs I generally see Subban make a mistake that has the potential to be costly in his own zone. Schenn on the other hand I hardly ever see that from.

Defensively its easily Schenn.
Offensively its easily Subban.

Basically just comes down to your teams needs.
I don't think it's that simple. Defensive positing can be taught. It's not like Schenn can suddenly become a faster skater and have a better shot. I think it's better to take the player with more natural talent.

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:03 AM
KristoLeblanc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillingbroom View Post
Congrats? Weber played almost 28 minutes tonight too, by your rational Weber > Schenn. Subban directly caused the GWG tonight, nice to see you just ignore that one.
He wasn't responsible.

It was a weak goal to let in by Price.

Old
02-18-2011, 04:05 AM
zoA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
I don't think it's that simple. Defensive positing can be taught. It's not like Schenn can suddenly become a faster skater and have a better shot. I think it's better to take the player with more natural talent.
Yep, can't get better at those things at all, not possible, especially at the age he's at now, should just give up.

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 04:07 AM
KristoLeblanc*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post

Just saw the replay. Subban blocked the puck in the neutral zone, he switched position with Moen. Moen was covering Hall and Kostitsyn was on Eberle and it was a ultra weak goal.

Way to spread crap.

Old
02-18-2011, 04:37 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristoLeblanc View Post
Just saw the replay. Subban blocked the puck in the neutral zone, he switched position with Moen. Moen was covering Hall and Kostitsyn was on Eberle and it was a ultra weak goal.

Way to spread crap.
maybe you watched the wrong replay because hall danced around subban before passing it to eberle. it was a beauty ending up behind the net

Old
02-18-2011, 05:19 AM
KristoLeblanc*

Quote:
maybe you watched the wrong replay because hall danced around subban before passing it to eberle. it was a beauty ending up behind the net
No.

RDS.ca

On the frontpage, you got the replay, Subban wasn't even in the defensive zone when Hall made his pass. It was Moen on him.

Its getting pathetic really.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:28 AM
KristoLeblanc*

Just for the sake of it;

Blame Subban ?

Moen and Picard was there. Like I said, Subban and Moen switched, since Subban put pressure in the neutral zone. it was a weak goal to let in by Price. Nothing more.

Burned.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:38 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

burned?

where is subban in that shot?

oh right hall left him in the dust. he was probably still picking up pieces of his dignity

Old
02-18-2011, 07:52 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
burned?

where is subban in that shot?

oh right hall left him in the dust. he was probably still picking up pieces of his dignity
What the picture does show is there is clearly more than enough coverage and subban wasn't as fall at all.

Haters gonna hate.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

You're really exposing your lack of credibility and your bias with comments like that. No one here said that he doesn't get caught out of position. The guy plays a high risk, high reward game. What you're not talking about is the few great scoring chances he's created and/or had himself but no, that's too inconvenient! Drew Doughty gets caught out of position regularly. Schenn must be better than him, right?

Also, keep on thing in mind: Subban is a rookie while Schenn is in his third year on the NHL. The experience will kick in. As a matter of fact, the Subban that we're seeing today is better than the one we saw at the start of the season. Also, you know that Schenn had 74 giveaways in his first NHL season to Subban's 40? Of course you did, right? Same with takeaways but those aren't important, right?

Schenn doesn't come to Subban's ankle as an all around defenseman because he doesn't have the offense and that, even if he's more experienced... and he never will.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:45 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Also, you know that Schenn had 74 giveaways in his first NHL season to Subban's 40? Of course you did, right? Same with takeaways but those aren't important, right?
yeah, the difference is schenn loses the puck in the offensive zone. unlike subban who does it in neutral/defensive which ends up in the back of the net more often.

i'm not going to argue schenn is a PMD because he's not. but his defensive capability is better than subban by a lot. schenn is the #1 defenseman in the leafs. subban isn't even close to being the #1 offensive dman in montreal.

not to mention that in that age group, cam fowler is better than subban as an off. dman while being two years younger. av's shattenkirk also a rookie has more points. who's better than schenn defensively?

Old
02-18-2011, 09:57 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
What the picture does show is there is clearly more than enough coverage and subban wasn't as fall at all.

Haters gonna hate.

haha you do realize the reason Subban isn't in that picture is because he's still standing on the oilers blueline wondering where everyone went right?

He completely misread his pinch and got schooled on the offensive blueline; leading to the breakout.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote