HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Okposo Concussion??

Old
03-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Okposo Concussion??

Any word on what happened to KO? Yahoo fantasy hockey has him listed as day to day with a concussion following yesterdays game. I cant read anything about it??

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:46 PM
1 Timer

vCash: 500
Nope nothing on Newsday.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
Isles Junkie

from what? What happened? Do I have a concussion that I don't remember an incident?

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:04 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

* Kyle Okposo
* Right Wing
* New York Islanders
* Height: 6-1
* Weight: 200
* Shoots: Right
* Born: Apr 16, 1988 - St. Paul, Minnesota
* Draft: 2006 - 1st round (7th overall) by the New York Islanders

Injury note Day-to-Day as of Mar 8, 2011 (Left game - concussion)

This is from Yahoo Sports... Im not making it up. I have him in my fantasy league. He is listed as day to day

Old
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Wtf how did we not hear about this in post game or anything.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Renbarg

Has to be a mistake. He had a shift in OT:
http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...1/TH020993.HTM

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Renbarg

Plus Katie would be all over this. Yahoo probably gets all their Islanders info from Katie anyway.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:16 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

It probably is a mistake, Yahoo is awful when it comes to fantasy sports and there roto wire cost me some serious money last year in fantasy baseball. Katie Strang hasn't reported it either, then again she is the Hofstra intern who follows the team around for Newsday and reports whatever Garth tells her too.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

i had been checking on this all day long as well.

Okposo did only play just under 15 minutes last night, which i missed due to the BOS/MTL game, so i thought it might have some legs

like others, when katie had nothing on it by noon i figured yahoo blundered, but then again w/the tight lips of NYI i could not be sure!

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:31 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
It probably is a mistake, Yahoo is awful when it comes to fantasy sports and there roto wire cost me some serious money last year in fantasy baseball. Katie Strang hasn't reported it either, then again she is the Hofstra intern who follows the team around for Newsday and reports whatever Garth tells her too.
Actually, Katie has a Master's degree in journalism from Columbia University.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:35 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by F0rsbergFan21 View Post
i had been checking on this all day long as well.

Okposo did only play just under 15 minutes last night, which i missed due to the BOS/MTL game, so i thought it might have some legs

like others, when katie had nothing on it by noon i figured yahoo blundered, but then again w/the tight lips of NYI i could not be sure!
I don't really recall him missing a shift though. I think it would be pretty obvious if he was. Bailey's line was real good and maybe Cappy was just going with the hot hand.

*EDIT

Ya, Grabs, Nielsen and KO have about the same ES time so it looks like he didn't miss a shift. And the Bailey line did get the most minutes.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:37 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Does Yahoo have him listed as concussion? Not on mine anymore.

Maybe he was just taking it easy, if it is a concussion, man add another one the pile, that's got to be in the double digits for sure for this year for the NHL.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post

Big deal... She spent over a quarter of a million dollars and now shes covering the New York Islanders. She can barely do that right.. She isnt interviewing Libyan rebels, She isnt interviewing politicians, She follows Garth Snow around and asks soft ball questions and never writes a single piece questioning the teams policies. Hell Larry Brooks didnt exactly go to Harvard but I give credit to him when he smells Dog #$@$ and points it out.

How many people have ever tweeted back to Katie and asked serious questions and she never tweets back. Sorry I dont care about her degree.. I dont respect her as a journalist and use her as a valid source of information.

Old
03-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Macch

Quote:
Big deal... She spent over a quarter of a million dollars and now shes covering the New York Islanders. She can barely do that right.. She isnt interviewing Libyan rebels, She isnt interviewing politicians, She follows Garth Snow around and asks soft ball questions and never writes a single piece questioning the teams policies. Hell Larry Brooks didnt exactly go to Harvard but I give credit to him when he smells Dog #$@$ and points it out.

How many people have ever tweeted back to Katie and asked serious questions and she never tweets back. Sorry I dont care about her degree.. I dont respect her as a journalist and use her as a valid source of information.

Wow... just wow.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Wow... just wow.
Ok i came off kinda mean there, I apologize. But still I pray to god that Yahoo made an error here. If they didnt and he is injured then you seriously have to question the Isles and most importantly the journalistic integrity of the beat writer of the team

Old
03-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
I don't really recall him missing a shift though. I think it would be pretty obvious if he was. Bailey's line was real good and maybe Cappy was just going with the hot hand.

*EDIT

Ya, Grabs, Nielsen and KO have about the same ES time so it looks like he didn't miss a shift. And the Bailey line did get the most minutes.
good call, i never thought to cross reference the ice time w/the line. not sure what i was thinking on that! thx!

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Pnut

Quote:

So she works for Newsday who owns the Rangers and you are saying she is too soft???Does that make sense to you? It doesnt to me.

I guess according to your logic that the only way a person is a good journalist is when he/she questions every ****ing policy of the company or gov't body (or the NYIs) that they report on?? You know not everything has to be known or asked, and it was so important i am sure some reporter (maybe not Strang) would ask him. Now the team as we know really doesnt like negative press so is it really Strang or Newsdays (etc...) fault? With that logic it is the owners of NYI, not the reporter.

She is interviewing Garth Snow, she doesn't have to ask him the hard hitting questions because he isn't some meniacle crazy world leader or lying owner of a company (thats his boss)

I don't really like anybody that reports for the NY Post or NY Daily news and not many at Newsday either but to me its not such a big deal to get angry about or to talk about here.

Anyways I doubt Okposo has an injury because i don't remember a head hit last night in OT or before then.

Will this thread be closed soon??? Because like a trade rumor, this is unsubstantiated from what I see.

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Ziggy96
Pleeeeassee Garth...

Quote:
Any word on what happened to KO? Yahoo fantasy hockey has him listed as day to day with a concussion following yesterdays game. I cant read anything about it??
Concussion? No......

He was Muuuurrrrrderd, Sam.

Ziggy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 05:59 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Ok i came off kinda mean there, I apologize. But still I pray to god that Yahoo made an error here. If they didnt and he is injured then you seriously have to question the Isles and most importantly the journalistic integrity of the beat writer of the team
Good for you for apologizing.

Brooksie is a made man and can say anything he wants. Katie just got her foot in the door. Can't blame her for not wanting to ruffle any feathers.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

I remember him getting a shift in OT, I am really hoping this is a mistake.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
I've got a master's degree too. Doesn't mean squat.

Her writing of little snippets no longer than this post may have good form, but that lack any element of creativity or interesting information.

There's certainly no scoop in her journalism, if you want to call it that. It's simply a collection of facts.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:57 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

It's definitely a mistake, there is no mention of it anywhere else and there was nothing to indicate an apparent injury in last nights game.

Islanders must stay healthy. If they do, they will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2011, 06:58 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
So she works for Newsday who owns the Rangers and you are saying she is too soft???Does that make sense to you? It doesnt to me.

I guess according to your logic that the only way a person is a good journalist is when he/she questions every ****ing policy of the company or gov't body (or the NYIs) that they report on?? You know not everything has to be known or asked, and it was so important i am sure some reporter (maybe not Strang) would ask him. Now the team as we know really doesnt like negative press so is it really Strang or Newsdays (etc...) fault? With that logic it is the owners of NYI, not the reporter.

She is interviewing Garth Snow, she doesn't have to ask him the hard hitting questions because he isn't some meniacle crazy world leader or lying owner of a company (thats his boss)

I don't really like anybody that reports for the NY Post or NY Daily news and not many at Newsday either but to me its not such a big deal to get angry about or to talk about here.

Anyways I doubt Okposo has an injury because i don't remember a head hit last night in OT or before then.

Will this thread be closed soon??? Because like a trade rumor, this is unsubstantiated from what I see.

It is still substantial because as of 7:55pm Yahoo still reports the same thing: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3988

As for Katie Strang, I am not expecting her to uncover the JFK conspiracy. I would like her to simply question the teams motives behind certain moves. I would like her to write articles on Jack Capuano and his dumb coaching moves. Instead she writes basic AP style articles but with one addition.. She quotes the players. She writes puff pieces and during games tweets every single play like an intern logging sports at ESPN. I know she is young and trying to break into the industry which is tough especially for a female journalist. I just dont see her writing anything worth me buying Newsday to read let alone pay a ridiculous online subscription for.

Old
03-09-2011, 07:04 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
It is still substantial because as of 7:55pm Yahoo still reports the same thing: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/3988

As for Katie Strang, I am not expecting her to uncover the JFK conspiracy. I would like her to simply question the teams motives behind certain moves. I would like her to write articles on Jack Capuano and his dumb coaching moves. Instead she writes basic AP style articles but with one addition.. She quotes the players. She writes puff pieces and during games tweets every single play like an intern logging sports at ESPN. I know she is young and trying to break into the industry which is tough especially for a female journalist. I just dont see her writing anything worth me buying Newsday to read let alone pay a ridiculous online subscription for.
She has no competition (therefore no real incentive) and Snow runs the place like the friggin NSA. He gives her exactly what he wants her to report, when he wants her to report. If we had a Montreal type of market a lot more **** would get out from everyone but in this situation Snow sort of runs the media.

Old
03-09-2011, 08:19 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I've got a master's degree too. Doesn't mean squat.

Her writing of little snippets no longer than this post may have good form, but that lack any element of creativity or interesting information.

There's certainly no scoop in her journalism, if you want to call it that. It's simply a collection of facts.
First, I was responding to the post that identified her as a Hofstra intern, which she is not.

Second, I feel she is being constrained by her editors as to what she can write about, as well as being fed poop by Garth.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote