HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mr. Softy, Tinman, and Leo the Lame

Old
02-16-2011, 10:13 PM
whiplash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
This game barely held my interest. What a bore fest.
I thought the first period was awesome; physicality, some chances (Ennis has to finish on that beautiful pass from Connolly) and basically end to end action, even if it was devoid of goals. So that all goes in the GOOD

But that's all I saw. So the rest goes in the:

BAD:
I hate losing. I hate the Leafs. I hate losing to the Leafs. I hate losing at home to the Leafs.
I was stuck on the train for an hour during the game (at least you can drink on the LIRR)
I have to be up at 6am tomorrow for an interview (I haven't had a job that required me to be up before 1pm in 3 years)
We lost to the Leafs, who I hate.

whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:31 AM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

I maybe a minority when it comes to saying this but i think Butler has played very well lately. He has looked a bit shaky at times but as the games go on he seems to calm down and realize he is not playing for his life.

I also noticed some of the pairings, seems the lindy wants the vetern partner to be a shadow of themselves

Sekera-Myers-Top Pairing,fast,creative,puck moving,defensively sound
Leopold-Butler-Good mix of offense and defense,puck moving physical when needed
Morrisonn-Weber -Big,physical,stay at home

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 12:55 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
Montador back next game
The question is who is he in for. Ruff has not been happy with Sekera in his post-game comments either of the last two nights, essentially criticizing him on 3 straight opposition goals.

Hamilton stated that he has a hunch that Sekera will be sat down for a game to try to get his head back on straight once Monty comes back.

I also don't think Butler has been playing as bad as many on here do

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:00 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Good:
- Carolina loses

Bad:
- Buffalo loses

Ugly:
- The game.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:11 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
!@#$ %^$ &^#$

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 01:14 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaoulDo0k View Post
Good:
- Carolina loses

Bad:
- Buffalo loses

Ugly:
- The game.
Agreed Doak, I am pretty heated over the loss however sooner or later they were going to fall to the Laughs and I'd rather it been last nights game then the one (2 remaining?) at ACC. We will rebound Friday night and if we could get a point atleast i'll be happy. On Sunday though its a must win/Statement game on HOCKEY DAY IN AMERICA!!!

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:07 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The Good -

- Carolina lost in regulation. Nothing gained there. And nothing lost either.
- Stafford's hit on Grabovski.
- Killing that long 2-man disadvantage.

The Bad -

- That shorthander was just terrible. Miller out and not set? Vanek and Leopold don't separate the man from the puck? Connolly with a hideous giveaway to set it in motion? Yeah... "best players" weren't the best players.
- Ennis missed AGAIN. The kid's got to start burying these chances.
- Caught parts of the first and second and all of the third -- too many guys reaching, very few bodychecks, and very little in terms of quality shooting late.

The Ugly -

- Getting back within one. AHL side? Yikes.
- Throwing donuts on the PP and giving up ANOTHER shortie. League worst most of the year there and it's the same guys on the ice over and over being stupid over and over. Whoever runs the unit ought to be relieved of those duties *again*.
I think it's more than a bit harsh placing that much blame on Miller for the second goal. It definitely didn't merit putting "Mr. Softie" in the thread title.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I think it's more than a bit harsh placing that much blame on Miller for the second goal. It definitely didn't merit putting "Mr. Softie" in the thread title.
It was not a good goal for many reasons -- Connolly's continued suck-tasm carrying the puck in on zone entries, Vanek's attempt to play the man, Leopold's inability to play even basic defense and yes, Miller's performance on that goal was the culmination of $20,892,857 of cap stink.

02-17-2011, 08:06 AM
NativityPlayground*

Bad and Ugly

As ususal Miller allowing the back breaker , again waaaaaay out of position and this time in the form of a short hander against the Laffs and Mr Crabs !

Way to not make the "clutch" save again Miller

NativityPlayground* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:21 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

I'm sure that there is a reason for this, but what does Miller have a against his crease?

He seems to get beat a lot when he's out there. But at I don't imagine he would keep doing it if there wasn't some sort of benefit to him. I just don't know where it is.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Jame
Dream '16

theres no doubt that Connolly, Pommer, Vanek, and Leo all **** the bed on the back breaking shortie... but WTF was Miller thinking??? Maybe that mental rest wasn't long enough.

Most disappointing loss in a LONG time

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativityPlayground View Post
Bad and Ugly

As ususal Miller allowing the back breaker , again waaaaaay out of position and this time in the form of a short hander against the Laffs and Mr Crabs !

This post is hilarious......

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Burgmania
PA Guy Of The Future

Send a message via AIM to Burgmania Send a message via MSN to Burgmania
Quote:
Bad and Ugly

Maybe you should change your name to Debbie Downer. I don't know what exactly your issue is with Miller, but I think I'm echoing a lot of the other posters here when I say that your continued repeating of your opinion is really starting to grate on us.

You sound like a broken record, NP. Watch the Sabres make a deep run into the playoffs - then maybe you'll change your tune.

One bad game - or one misread - does not make a bad goaltender. You'd be well-served to keep that in mind.

Burgmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:00 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post
Maybe you should change your name to Debbie Downer. I don't know what exactly your issue is with Miller, but I think I'm echoing a lot of the other posters here when I say that your continued repeating of your opinion is really starting to grate on us.

You sound like a broken record, NP. Watch the Sabres make a deep run into the playoffs - then maybe you'll change your tune.

One bad game - or one misread - does not make a bad goaltender. You'd be well-served to keep that in mind.
Could not care less if I "grate" on you or any other poster !

I tell it the way it is and I choose to not put a pretty lilttle bow on everything like the Miller apologists like to do .

This is not one "bad game" nor one " bad misread", the season has been full of them for Miller..

Simply put, if you do not like what I post or I sound like a " broken record" you can simply utilize the ignore function .

Fair enough ?

Old
02-17-2011, 10:06 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post

You know what he's trying to do. He's trying to evoke a reaction to his fringe opinion and then he'll pull you down to his level of argument and debate. Don't take the bait. I'll just say this: the "add to ignore list" is a wonderful feature of this site.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:08 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
I tell it the way it is and I choose to not put a pretty lilttle bow on everything like the Miller apologists like to do .
To be fair, it was hardly all Miller's fault. He was definitely out too far and didn't make the big save despite the shortcomings of the guys in front of him...

I'm guessing he wasn't expecting Leopold to neither take the body or the puck though... considering he was right there... in prime position to take the body or the puck. Not to mention he decided to skate right in front of Crabb and stay there, adding a little bit of a screen to the mix too.

Vanek did very little on that backcheck as well, though he was also probably expecting Leopold to do something. And let's not forget Connolly's terrible turnover, like most of the team last night, that was going to lead to a goal sooner or later.

It was bad calls all around, to pin it all on Miller kind of makes it seem like you aren't telling it like it is. It makes it seem like you have an agenda. Just saying.

EDIT: Frown... I took the bait.

Last edited by Dreakon: 02-17-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
NativityPlayground*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
To be fair, it was hardly all Miller's fault. He was definitely out too far but I'm guessing he wasn't expecting Leopold to neither take the body or the puck... considering he was right there... in prime position to take the body or the puck.

It was bad calls all around, to pin it all on Miller kind of makes it seem like you aren't telling it like it is. It makes it seem like you have an agenda.

EDIT: Frown... I took the bait.
Miller is the biggest reason the Sabres are in the position that they are right now !

If he learns to stay back in his net , that goal never happens .

It was all his fault , and many other goals just like that one all year that have been back breakers or game changers !

He never makes that "clutch" save this this year .

Simply put and end of debate , look his stats up and it tells the tale !

Old
02-17-2011, 10:18 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
It was not a good goal for many reasons -- Connolly's continued suck-tasm carrying the puck in on zone entries, Vanek's attempt to play the man, Leopold's inability to play even basic defense and yes, Miller's performance on that goal was the culmination of $20,892,857 of cap stink.

Ehh, we won't agree on that one, especially the need to take a potshot at Miller in the thread title. Like I said, that's a bit harsh.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:21 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
Miller is the biggest reason the Sabres are in the position that they are right now !

If he learns to stay back in his net , that goal never happens .

It was all his fault , and many other goals just like that one all year that have been back breakers or game changers !

He never makes that "clutch" save this this year .

Simply put and end of debate , look his stats up and it tells the tale !
If Leopold doesn't screen his own goaltender by standing in Crabb's way and not taking the puck or body, that goal never happens.

If Vanek didn't lazily follow Crabb and bump him once lightly on the backcheck, that goal never happens.

If Connolly doesn't turn the puck over for the ump-teenth time seconds into the zone, that goal never happens.

If our power play could've entered the zone gracefully last night, that goal probably wouldn't have happened.

If Miller learns to stay back in his net, that goal never happens.

There's a lot more to the story than Miller. You sir, have an agenda.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Ehh, we won't agree on that one, especially the need to take a potshot at Miller in the thread title. Like I said, that's a bit harsh.
FWIW, I agree with you. I think Miller made more tough saves last night than he had in his previous three games combined. But, of course, we are hearing nothing about that--I suppose since his salary is what it is that he's expected to make those saves. I wouldn't put Miller in the top-5 reasons we lost last night:

1) Leopold. Awful on both goals. His worst game as a Sabre, IMO.
2) The 1st period: Ennis missing the bunny and 0-for-3 on the PP. They make it 2-0 in the 1st and the rout is on.
3) Disappearing acts from our top forwards: Vanek, Connolly, Stafford, Pominville, et al.
4) Little energy in the 3rd period. Getting outshot 15-7 in a 3rd period in which you entered trailing 1-0 is inexcusable.
5) No zone time, whatsoever.

Old
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

So we score 1 goal and this game is a goalie issue? Gotcha.

This team got out-coached and out-hustled last night.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally a play on the Lion, the Tinman, and the Cowardly Lion. It was a bad goal.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusBizinuez View Post
So we score 1 goal and this game is a goalie issue? Gotcha.

This team got out-coached and out-hustled last night.
Every Miller loss from here on in is going to be put on him, at least in part. The Islanders game and his subsequent reaction put him in the crosshairs of many. He's given little or no credit now for big saves, and anything short of tap-in's are put on him.

When you have a career year in Buffalo--and some other cities, for that matter--many of the fans expect you to continue playing at that level. To them, that is the new standard against which your performance will be measured. And when you don't meet it, you're a bum. I've always said one of the worst things that happened to Derek Roy was scoring 81 pts because then everyone expected it from that point forward. And when he couldn't replicate that success for a variety of reasons, you began hearing all the "not a #1 center" or "he's not a top-6 center on a good team" bromides.

Being a Sabres fan has taught me that the city of Buffalo almost always prefers the under-talented player who performs at or slightly beyond expectations, to the very talented player who may be slightly under-performing.

Old
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
Ron Barr
Doing it to Death

What we should do is sit Niedermayer and Kaleta, and bring up Ellis and Byron. But of course that won't happen.

Ron Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:51 AM
SiriusBizinuez
Jakub might kill you

Not to mention that these things don't happen in a vaccuum. Our defense isn't what it was last year, which is a definite contributor to Millers' numbers. Additionally, anyone who DIDN'T see a let down year for Miller is a damn fool. Relax people. This is how you get a Toronto-type situation: crucifying your best players for every little thing. I have no problem with throwing justified criticism out there where it is due, but this game isn't on Miller ffs.

SiriusBizinuez is offline   Reply With Quote