HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2011, 07:37 AM
Levitate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Most of the BC writers/followers on twitter feel Kreider is staying for his junior year.
Wonder if it's based on anything or just based on "he hasn't been the go to guy at this level yet, should spend more time, therefor I think..." etc

Also kind of hard to ask these guys whether they're staying or going right after their team gets knocked out. I feel like we heard stuff about McDonagh and Stepan not wanting to leave right after they lost the championship, but given some time they realized it was a better move to sign

Kind of conflicted. I don't think it's the worst thing if Kreider stays another year, as long as he is actually the go to guy for BC and really takes over. If he's kept in a secondary role I'm kind of meh about his development at that point. He needs lots of playing time.

And sure it's selfish that I want him to sign with the Rangers He could be a NHLer soon and help the team

Old
03-29-2011, 08:51 AM
squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
No disrespect to Kingston, but I hope Oshawa ends it.

Get Werek to Hartford ASAP.
What's the rush? It'd be better for him to get high-pressure playoff experience as a go-to guy in Kingston than play a bit part, or maybe even watch from the press box while the Whale try to lock up a playoff spot.

Old
03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I get that feeling that if Kreider goes pro, he will be pushing for an NHL spot in camp just like McD and Stepan.

It'd be a waste if he went back and we had to "settle" for someone less.

Even so, we have no idea if the potential LW spot we have will even be open to a prospect (could re-sign Fedotenko) so not the biggest deal in the world. Hartford is still going to have some heavy reinforcements coming to help boost our depth when the inevitable injuries occur.

03-29-2011, 09:13 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Many BC players are on twitter and they tweet about their activities. When do they attend classes? Kreider hasn't been mentioned in one of their tweets since the weekend at a team meal in St.Louis. Did Kreider go home to speak to his parents and consult with his advisor Matt Keator instead of returning to campus? Even the Rangers haven't leaked anything to Brooks or Arthur Staple.

Old
03-29-2011, 09:25 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Turn Pro Kreider.

Old
03-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Turn Pro Kreider.
This.

If you have a team offering you an attractive contract, TAKE IT! Everyone who plays this game is just one twist of fate away from shattering a bone or joint and never being able to play again. You have to take the money while it is on the table. You can always go back to college and get a degree. The earning potential for athletes is astronomical, yet fleeting. Make your money while you can, Chris!

Old
03-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Rangers sign Tommy Grant.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
Rangers sign Tommy Grant.
And with it, goes another contract that could be used to lock up Brendan Shinnimin.

Bollocks.

Old
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
And with it, goes another contract that could be used to lock up Brendan Shinnimin.

Bollocks.
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Old
03-29-2011, 10:56 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post

Bollocks.
has there been any chatter about the rangers showing interest in this kid? any other teams looking at him?

Old
03-29-2011, 11:13 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
has there been any chatter about the rangers showing interest in this kid? any other teams looking at him?
I'm thinking it's another case of "Internet Scouts" noticing he put up good numbers and can be had for free.

Similar to how a large group of fans were pushing for the Rangers to draft Alexander Avtsin in 2009. No one saw him play but he put up huge numbers in the Russian Junior league and was over 6 feet tall.. must be a good pick right?

^ might not be a good example as Avstin was drafted and signed by MTL but you get the point.

Old
03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Many BC players are on twitter and they tweet about their activities. When do they attend classes?
Kids these days tweet during class

Old
03-29-2011, 12:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Many BC players are on twitter and they tweet about their activities. When do they attend classes?
It's pretty easy to build yourself a cushy class schedule. I only have classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays, while taking a full courseload at a school comparable to BC.

RANGERS =
Old
03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It's pretty easy to build yourself a cushy class schedule. I only have classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays, while taking a full courseload at a school comparable to BC.
Maybe things are different at B.C., but at UConn athletes (basketball players at least) basically don't attend class. Instead, they have tutors and study on their own schedules.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:02 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Maybe things are different at B.C., but at UConn athletes (basketball players at least) basically don't attend class. Instead, they have tutors and study on their own schedules.
I don't know the exact situation, but given that BC is a much more rigorous academic school that UConn (no offense to anyone who went there), I would guess that there are much higher expectations of athletes academically.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:20 PM
GrizMint

Quote:
I don't know the exact situation, but given that BC is a much more rigorous academic school that UConn (no offense to anyone who went there), I would guess that there are much higher expectations of athletes academically.
I go to UConn, not offended haha. The thing about the basketball players here, I believe for the most part they are all sport management majors or coaching majors. The school has a really good Coaching and Administartion program but when the classes are literally taught underneath Gampel(The on campus stadium) theres not too much room for outside influence. The most demanding classes for them are the underclassmen classes because there are teachers not affiliated with sports.

Back on point. As far as BC goes they are for sure given every oppertunity to do well academically. They are smart kids where some kids excel and others do fine, like everyone else. Like UConn, these players can choose an easy major and not have to do anywork, every school has a few.

To sum it up, like everyone else college is what you make of it and at any school if you are smart enough you can do the minimum and be fine if you pick an easy major

Old
03-29-2011, 01:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I went to Rutgers...i had to bust my ass 5 days a week to graduate...i mean, i did to computer *& electrical engineering, and im not sure what Kreider is doing, but i never got how ppl could cram a full time courseload into 2 days, especially not when taking 18-20 credits...i guess if youre only takin 12 its doable...

Old
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Perhaps, but they're obviously already excused from class (not that many take attendance these days anyway) for games and practices.

You don't need to physically be in the classroom to take exams, write papers, etc. (except science labs, etc., but I'd assume those are the exceptions rather than the rule for the players).

I'd be very surprised if the BC hockey players attended even a majority of their classes. Instead, they complete the work on a schedule conductive of their hockey schedules.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:24 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
I went to Rutgers...i had to bust my ass 5 days a week to graduate...i mean, i did to computer *& electrical engineering, and im not sure what Kreider is doing, but i never got how ppl could cram a full time courseload into 2 days, especially not when taking 18-20 credits...i guess if youre only takin 12 its doable...
Engineering and hard sciences are a completely different beast than liberal arts, business majors, etc regarding the need to physically be in a classroom to complete course material. Like mentioned above, I doubt you'll find too many engineering majors on the BC hockey team.

Old
03-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Engineering and hard sciences are a completely different beast than liberal arts, business majors, etc regarding the need to physically be in a classroom to complete course material. Like mentioned above, I doubt you'll find too many engineering majors on the BC hockey team.
true, i also worked 20-25 hours a week too, so i always felt like on the verge of a mental collapse lol

Old
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
CH2

Kreider is in the School of Management at BC, for what it's worth.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:05 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

I don't know about you guys, but I have a triple major in Neuroscience, Molecular Biology, and Microbiology at the University of Pittsburgh, and I still have Fridays off. It's all about scheduling, baby.

Anyway, I hope Kreider goes pro. I don't know what he has left to prove in college.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I have a triple major in Neuroscience, Molecular Biology, and Microbiology at the University of Pittsburgh, and I still have Fridays off. It's all about scheduling, baby.

Anyway, I hope Kreider goes pro. I don't know what he has left to prove in college.

sheesh...i never had a day off, i was either at school, at home studying, or at work...ppl say college is the best time of your life...ppfftt, it was miserable for me lol.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:38 PM
dccuse

Quote:
I know plenty of non-brilliant people who went to bc and coasted - this is a pretty stupid comment.

Old
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
What's the rush? It'd be better for him to get high-pressure playoff experience as a go-to guy in Kingston than play a bit part, or maybe even watch from the press box while the Whale try to lock up a playoff spot.

I'd like them to get the next wave of players on board, get them into the hands of the organization. Get them acclimated. See what being in the Pros is like. Start getting to know the organization. Start getting them prepared for next season.

Weather they play a big role or not for the Whale in the playoffs this season, the experience is invaluable.

Kreider, Werek, Bourque, Horak, Fasth. Get them to Hartford and have them start going through the process.

Closed Thread