HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, NCAA, International, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2011, 09:10 PM
UAGoalieGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Thomas has scored his 45th of the season... 1 period left to play....
Thomas also added a primary assist on Oshawa's 3rd goal of the night. His team won 4-3 in a SO.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:26 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thomas now 5th in the OHL in scoring, 2nd in the OHL in goals scored.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Thomas now 5th in the OHL in scoring, 2nd in the OHL in goals scored.
He could contend for MVP of the OHL honestly. Ottawa has that dominant line so I doubt any of them get it. Ellis, Strome, Hishon and Akeson would round out that top group. Ellis will probably win it though.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Tyler Toffoli has 3 goals on him, but played 2 more games... I know Thomas was suspended for a game this season, so he's only play 9 more games this season.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Toffoli will get MVP of the league, not that it matters all that much.

I'm incredulous that Thomas has any more growing to do at the OHL level. When you're scoring a goal a game you're above the competition.

02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Just noticed now that the Oshawa game ended in a SO... Thomas also scored on his shootout attempt... Nice.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:36 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Toffoli will get MVP of the league, not that it matters all that much.

I'm incredulous that Thomas has any more growing to do at the OHL level. When you're scoring a goal a game you're above the competition.
Toffoli may win the scoring race, but I'd imagine the voters realize he played on a line with Shane Prince and Ryan Martindale. I've read from avid 67 watchers that the player that carries the line switches from game to game. Thomas or any of the other guys I mentioned would outscore Toffoli in that position.

Old
02-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Toffoli may win the scoring race, but I'd imagine the voters realize he played on a line with Shane Prince and Ryan Martindale. Thomas or any of the other guys I mentioned would outscore Toffoli in that position.
The general consensus seemed to be that Prince is boosted by Toffoli, not the other way around.

Now which of Thomas v Toffoli turns out to be the better pro player remains to be seen, but Toffoli is a good dozen points ahead. I just think he'll win, thats all.

Old
02-21-2011, 12:15 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
http://www.mgoblue.com/allaccess/?media=231465

Hagelin highlights. I love the end when the students bring out the swedish flag.
Here's a view from the stands:

Came across this 2008 quote from his coach after his freshman year:

Quote:
"You'd have to be doing a lot of homework to find Carl Hagelin in Sweden," said Michigan coach Red Berenson, "and someone did their homework, and they found a good player. He came in and immediately showed everyone that he had the best work ethic on our team, in our off-ice training as well as on the ice. He's an elite-level skater, he has good skills, and I would say he's an exceptional two-way player right now."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...eveloping.html

Nice to know that rung true in even 2008...

Old
02-21-2011, 01:33 AM
UAGoalieGuy

I just hope the reports are not true that he wants to play for Detroit and may not sign with the Rangers. Don't remember where I read that, pretty sure it was on here a couple of months ago.

Old
02-21-2011, 01:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The general consensus seemed to be that Prince is boosted by Toffoli, not the other way around.

Now which of Thomas v Toffoli turns out to be the better pro player remains to be seen, but Toffoli is a good dozen points ahead. I just think he'll win, thats all.
I'm of the opinion, that Prince and Martindale are both solid prospects, and that without them, Toffoli isn't putting up those numbers.

I'm also of the opinion that he's no better than Thomas, and may very well be worse.

Old
02-21-2011, 02:36 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
I just hope the reports are not true that he wants to play for Detroit and may not sign with the Rangers. Don't remember where I read that, pretty sure it was on here a couple of months ago.
There was nothing to that .... It was speculation that the Rangers wouldn't be offering a contract to Hagelin, and that Detroit would be interested... Nothing came out of Hagelin's camp:

http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._to_the_wings/

Quote:
Currently the property of the New York Rangers, who selected the 5-11, 176-pound left-winger from Sodertalje, Sweden with the 168th pick of the 2007 National Hockey League entry draft, word around the NHL is that the Rangers won’t be signing Hagelin, who would then become a free agent Aug. 15, 2011. “I wouldn’t be surprised to see Detroit sign him,” said one NHL scout at Saturday’s game.
This report is shot down by Larry Brooks' post article:

Quote:
Contrary to recent reports, the Rangers will make every effort to sign Michigan left wing Carl Hagelin after the senior completes his collegiate career. Indeed, we’re told the Blueshirts attempted to sign Hagelin, their sixth-round selection in 2007, last summer but the 22-year-old decided to return to school.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...MKtKHtxpuzSL/1

Old
02-21-2011, 04:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Stats are updated.

It's just pain.
Old
02-21-2011, 01:44 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Here's a view from the stands:

Came across this 2008 quote from his coach after his freshman year:

"You'd have to be doing a lot of homework to find Carl Hagelin in Sweden," said Michigan coach Red Berenson, "and someone did their homework, and they found a good player. He came in and immediately showed everyone that he had the best work ethic on our team, in our off-ice training as well as on the ice. He's an elite-level skater, he has good skills, and I would say he's an exceptional two-way player right now."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...eveloping.html

Nice to know that rung true in even 2008...
My brother coached him in 2006-2007 and was a friend of the Head European (Ex) Ranger scout at the time...They are still friends btw... Good ole Red Berensen, the first player to score 6 goals in an NHL game - I believe...

Old
02-21-2011, 03:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Thomas with the primary assist on the lone goal of the game through 2 periods... Oshawa up 1-0 against Brampton...

Update: Game over... Oshawa wins 1-0...

Last edited by wolfgaze: 02-21-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old
02-21-2011, 04:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
My brother coached him in 2006-2007 and was a friend of the Head European (Ex) Ranger scout at the time...They are still friends btw... Good ole Red Berensen, the first player to score 6 goals in an NHL game - I believe...
I know it was 4-5 years ago at this point, but does your brother have any personal opinions on the player that he's shared with you or that you'd like to share with us?

Old
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
TreeSapLlama

I still really don't want to trade Grachev. Even though there are lots of people who throw him under the bus as a prospect, but then try and include him as value in trade proposals, I hope the curious case of Micheal Grabner at least opens peoples eyes a little bit as far as patience with prospects is concerned. Players can take time to put everything together, and Grabner is looking amazing now at 23, where he only had brief flashes of his ability before that. Again, while I am not saying they are the same person, they have followed relatively similar career paths so far.

Give Grachev the time to develop, and he will turn out just fine.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:13 PM
squishy

Lots of sweet, yummy goodness on Hagelin, here:

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/hagelin-feature

Quote:
A longtime tradition of testing endurance, running up and down sets of stairs is not alien to most athletes. Sometimes used as punishment, other times for fitness evaluations, standing at the bottom and literally eyeing your task up and down, step by step, is daunting for anyone.

But the upperclassmen know what to expect. They’ve been there before, done it before. They’ve suffered through the pain and felt the pleasure of being done.

They are supposed to set the standard that day.

The captains pick teams before the races begin and the freshmen start behind everyone else. Already exhausted from the mile-run the day before, running stairs is a quick way to evaluate stamina. It’s something the Michigan hockey team has been doing for fitness testing for years.

Hit every step. Hit every other step. Do the bunny hop.

If you’re not puking up your lunch or guzzling down water, you’re stretching out your legs to get ready for the next round.

But this team doesn’t climb just any old set of stairs on that day — they have to conquer The Big House.

Starting at the bottom, Carl Hagelin was going to try give it his all. After passing a few of his teammates on the way up, he didn’t know what came over him. At one point, he felt like he was running for his life.

“What really put him in everyone’s eyes was when were in the stadium, with how good his conditioning was,” former Michigan defenseman and current Boston Bruin Steve Kampfer. “To win every race that he was in (as a freshman) was phenomenal. For him to come in his first year and win every race and beat out the seniors and everyone down, it opened up eyes.”

The Swede’s record in Michigan Stadium is 60-0.

Four years ago, the Big House met a new all-star — though he preferred ice to turf.
Much more at the link above.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:27 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Great find Squishy.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post

Awesome, this is the best part for those of you that remember his violin celebration during the outdoor game:

Quote:
It was four years after racing up his first set of stairs as a Wolverine.

Eight minutes into the second period and the Wolverines led 2-0. Off a faceoff in the Michigan State zone and on the power play, Brandon Burlon ripped a laser from the point that bounced off Drew Palmisano’s pads.

On the rebound, Carl put it over Palmisano and the crowd went crazy.

He was in the right place at the right time — literally to the right of a sprawled out goaltender.

Skating around the back of the goal, he threw his hands up in celebration. He lifted his left leg, extended his left arm and used his stick as the bow of a violin, sliding it back and forth across his arm four times before his teammates bombarded him against the glass.

Carl had just scored his eighth goal of the season, and this one was not only in front of his entire family and all his friends, both adorned in custom-made maize jerseys with Sweden on the front and Hagelin on the back — it was in front of a world record crowd.

“Two of my cousins (came from Sweden) and one of them said ‘You should do the violin, (Axel) would’ve loved it,’ ” Carl said. “So we talked before, and said ‘That would be great, my dad would’ve loved if you did that.’ We were kind of joking around then. But when I scored, I felt like that was the right thing to do.

For those few seconds as his stick was used in celebration, the goal wasn’t just about hockey. For Carl, the violin was something much bigger — it was about family and heritage.

It was about where he came from and where he’s going.

It was about Carl Axel.

“His cousin told me, with tears in his eyes … that (Carl’s celebration) was something for his uncle,” Turner said.

Old
02-23-2011, 03:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
He has been my favorite prospect for the past 3 seasons. I think he's going to have a long NHL career.

Old
02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
broadwayblue

Thanks for sharing Squishy. Great article.

Old
02-23-2011, 04:12 PM
The Sweetness

Great article about Hagelin. Is there any risk he choses to sign with Detroit? I remember reading a while back that there was a rumor he may chose to stay in Michigan and sign with the Wings.

Old
02-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I always liked the Hagelin pick. I was conservative on what his ceiling was so his play the last few seasons has been a nice surprise. Most importantly, he has a good hockey mind to go with that skating and Callahan-esque endurance

Old
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
Great article about Hagelin. Is there any risk he choses to sign with Detroit? I remember reading a while back that there was a rumor he may chose to stay in Michigan and sign with the Wings.
He's Rangers property... See this post which is above:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...7&postcount=87

Closed Thread