According to the sports Hub 98.5
Kelly is having Visa issues..

Just thought I would let you know

BruinsDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:30 AM
22Brad Park

vCash: 500
I told folks on here 2 days ago he was having visa problems and would not be at practice and may miss the trip over it.The usual know it alls attacked me,I bet they feel pretty stupid now.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
bigbadbruins1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I told folks on here 2 days ago he was having visa problems and would not be at practice and may miss the trip over it.The usual know it alls attacked me,I bet they feel pretty stupid now.
I feel like this is going to be a recurring theme for players crossing the border. Forsberg's return was delayed a few days as well due to immigration issues.

bigbadbruins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:40 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
This is just awesome

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
I guess I'm confused. How does someone who has been crossing the border all year have visa issues? (serious question) Is it because he has changed "companies" ?

Last edited by SpokedLightning: 02-17-2011 at 06:58 AM. Reason: multiple spelling erorz :)
SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:45 AM
ODAAT

Kind of sucks but far from an isolated incident with Visa`s.

The Isles are playing much better but Kelly potentially not in the lineup is no excuse for anything tonight.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:46 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMeanie33 View Post
I guess I'm confused. How does someone who has been crosing the border all yer have visa issues? (serious question) Is it because he has changed "companies" ?
I think so? Not 100% sure either, maybe because now his employer is a US based company?

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:48 AM
CosmoK

Quote:
I guess I'm confused. How does someone who has been crosing the border all year have visa issues? (serious question) Is it because he has changed "companies" ?

CosmoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 06:48 AM
CosmoK

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPFla View Post

Gooooood question!!!

CosmoK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Savynquick*

At least he'll play the Ottawa game for sure. I mean he lives there!

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:18 AM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Any word if the 2nd rd draft pick suits up for Ottawa Friday night?

smithformeragent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:32 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
Any word if the 2nd rd draft pick suits up for Ottawa Friday night?
It will be a cardboard cutout at the end of the bench of some kid with a blacked out face holding a Sen's jersey..........he/it will still get more minutes than Tyler.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:38 AM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

I just don't get it. Does Ottawa not come to the main land occastionally?

Use American Express next time.

TP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:45 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
I guess I'm confused. How does someone who has been crossing the border all year have visa issues? (serious question) Is it because he has changed "companies" ?
I am assuming it's because his cheques are now signed by a US employer and he is a Canadian citizen. Just my opinion

BackBringCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Bruwinz37

This seems really strange as well. I am guessing it has to do with now an American company is employing him while he is working in the States. You would think that the NHL is a big enough entity that this should be a flip of a switch. Its not like he is defecting from cold war Soviet Union or something.

Bruwinz37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 07:50 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
This seems really strange as well. I am guessing it has to do with now an American company is employing him while he is working in the States. You would think that the NHL is a big enough entity that this should be a flip of a switch. Its not like he is defecting from cold war Soviet Union or something.
a fine example of bureaucracy at work. yes lets waste tax payer dollars hassling an nhl player over his visa between canada and the US i'm sure hes a huge threat to national security. a situation where common sense should be applicable but to hell with common sense!

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:05 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
a fine example of bureaucracy at work. yes lets waste tax payer dollars hassling an nhl player over his visa between canada and the US i'm sure hes a huge threat to national security. a situation where common sense should be applicable but to hell with common sense!
Agreed, but as soon as they did that there would be an outcry about special treatment for pro athletes, much the way many in Canada went nuts when it was discovered the Calgary Flames got front of the line service when the flu shots were being rationed out in 09.

Old
02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Bearcrap

nope........visa problems as well

Bearcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:14 AM
LoneWolf54
Relocated.

I am not an expert on this, by any means, but when Forsberg was having paperwork issues they said something like "Forsberg can't play because he doesn't have proper paperwork to enter the U.S. as an employee rather than a visitor"

When Boston goes to Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, or even Czech Republic, etc, they were there for a short period of time. They were visitors to the Czech Republic, and they "visit" each Canadian arena just for a few hours, so only a passport is needed.

But Kelly, has to change his country for employment. That means he actually works here. (Obviously) He's not just coming in over night. He'll be staying somewhere, he'll be practicing here a few days a week, but it also means his paychecks are now Boston, US and not Ottawa, ON, Canada.

It does change a lot I would think. Taxes...etc.

Like I said, I don't know for sure but if I had to venture a guess, that would be why. Because he is staying here long term, carrying out the abundance of his work load here, and his checks are being signed from here.

LoneWolf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:16 AM
roaddogg02316

Probalby an angry Sens fan at the border holding it all up lol.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:22 AM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackBringCam View Post
Agreed, but as soon as they did that there would be an outcry about special treatment for pro athletes, much the way many in Canada went nuts when it was discovered the Calgary Flames got front of the line service when the flu shots were being rationed out in 09.
two very different situations. the flames getting front of the line service is an issue. streamlining a process that is in place as a national security measure so that obvious non threats can get through without wasting time and money is simply common sense.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:28 AM
BackBringCam

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
two very different situations. the flames getting front of the line service is an issue. streamlining a process that is in place as a national security measure so that obvious non threats can get through without wasting time and money is simply common sense.
Then tell that to the misinformed who are trying to take a simple job in upstate NY to feed the family back in rural Ontario, but have to jump ropes to do it. Read up on the Flames situation and see their side of things which makes perfect sense (as does streamlining Kelly) but public outcry of the misinformed made it national news.

Yes FFIEY I am aware they are two different situations, however as I originally stated the end result would be the same when someone complained

Old
02-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf54 View Post
I am not an expert on this, by any means, but when Forsberg was having paperwork issues they said something like "Forsberg can't play because he doesn't have proper paperwork to enter the U.S. as an employee rather than a visitor"

When Boston goes to Montreal, Ottawa, Edmonton, or even Czech Republic, etc, they were there for a short period of time. They were visitors to the Czech Republic, and they "visit" each Canadian arena just for a few hours, so only a passport is needed.

But Kelly, has to change his country for employment. That means he actually works here. (Obviously) He's not just coming in over night. He'll be staying somewhere, he'll be practicing here a few days a week, but it also means his paychecks are now Boston, US and not Ottawa, ON, Canada.

It does change a lot I would think. Taxes...etc.

Like I said, I don't know for sure but if I had to venture a guess, that would be why. Because he is staying here long term, carrying out the abundance of his work load here, and his checks are being signed from here.
Yes, you're essentially correct. Someone with "special skills," i.e. a professional athlete, has to acquire a specific visa to work/live in the U.S. It has nothing to do with the NHL; it's to do with the U.S. government.

(My husband's an immigrant who came to the U.S. on a similar visa, so we went through this.)

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:48 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Yes, you're essentially correct. Someone with "special skills," i.e. a professional athlete, has to acquire a specific visa to work/live in the U.S. It has nothing to do with the NHL; it's to do with the U.S. government.

(My husband's an immigrant who came to the U.S. on a similar visa, so we went through this.)
This correct. In order to live/work in the USA without permanent residency, you need a specific type of visa. In general, the "specialized skills visa" is an H1-B (more white collar professions, a Bachelor's Degree is required), but there is a specific category for entertainers/athletes which I believe is a P visa.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 08:51 AM
Salem13

This is the same state department that warned TopGear not to be funny because they only had a documentary visa.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote