HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rate our Draft day picks and Transactions

View Poll Results: What ratings do you give for draft day??
A : Exceptional rating, we had unbelieavable draft day!! 4 3.48%
B: Great, got very good value out of transaction and draft picks 65 56.52%
C: Had average draft, not too excited by the transactions and picks 40 34.78%
D: terrible, we've got the worst possibe prospect, and Bg made terrible Transaction 6 5.22%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Rate our Draft day picks and Transactions

are happy the way things turned out, how would you rate BG and Timmins performance on draft day??

Old
06-30-2004, 12:24 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
are happy the way things turned out, how would you rate BG and Timmins performance on draft day??

Excellent, imo!

We got a Big C to fulfill our current need- Bonk

We got a Big C that can fill our future need and has the potential to become a second line C- Chipy

We got a hard hitting, rough, tough, nasty Russian D man who has top two potential- Yemenin (i think thats his name)

We got another skilled forward in the third round who is a pure scorer!

I think we did very well, but thats just my opinion, and other will differ!

Old
06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I wasn't happy with the trade or picks. I am a big Garon fan, I don't think too highly of Huet or Bonk. If Theodore and Bonk play well though, that will help me forget giving up Garon, who I saw as Theodores replace by '06.

As for the picks, no one can really say just how we did for 3-5 years, but from the looks of it, I have to shake my head at what they were doing.

Chipchura I understand. I didn't like the pick, but we'll see what he does. I don't think he was the BPA, but if he's an effective 3rd liner for us in 3-4 years, then that's great. I do think he will be an NHLer, and with the home run pick last year, I assume they wanted a safe pick this year. I didn't think they would go that way, but it does make sense. His lack of goal production over the last 2 years is a concern, for a 1st overall pick at the whl draft. Making Team Canada would be great to see.

Yemelin I was interested in us getting, (even had a thread on him right before the draft, as I saw him as a replacement for Linhart in a way, in case Linhart doesn't pan out) I think it was a good pick, and have high hopes for him down the road cause we need more physicall players, imo. His lack of any offensive game is a concern, but he put up better numbers playing in the High league as an 18 year old then he did in the 1st league as a 17 year old. I hope he gets a look for Team Russia's U-20.

Wyman I was shocked they got him. I never expected us to go the USHS route, but this pick could turn into one of our better picks of this draft. Dartmouth is considered one of the favorites to win the ECAC next year, so he should get some good experience with them. I hope to see some Dartmouth games next year, as I know very little about this pick.

Grabovski is where it starts going down hill for us. If we liked him, why not pick him in '02 or '03 instead of taking him at 150th. I can't believe we couldn't have traded down to get him, but it's all just my arm chair opinion. I was very disappointed in this pick cause there were several quality prospects on board, imo. But if he Kastsitsyn in any way, then it makes a lot more sense. Still a quesitonable pick imo.

Lacasse I think is a decent goalie, but I was hoping we would stay clear of a goalie this draft. If we went the goalie route, I was hoping for Roberge from (R-N) or a late round goalie in Borisov (wasn't drafted anyways) Still Lacasse could end up being a solid goalie from the little I've seen. Next year will tell more as he should be the starter.

Gleed I think was a bit of a reach as well. After not being drafted last year, (although he didn't play much on a great defensive group) I didn't think he would be drafted this year, as he didn't turn it on offensively till mid season, and still had only a small offensive output. Does have good size and smarts, plus he's in a solid program, but I can't say I was thrilled about this pick, even though I think he could end up being a solid depth defensemen for Hamilton.

Stewart I understand this pick as he is a physical crash and bang winger. Didn't do too much offensively but skates well and has decent speed. Maybe his hands will catch up to him, if not he still might be a 4th line guy in say 5 years.

Streit I hated this pick, just as I hated the Jarventie and Ujeck picks. I don't understand why they grabbed a 26 year old defensemen, but perhaps he's brought over at some point. My money is on him being a wasted pick, which is why I am frustrated by this pick. I am not a professional, and our pros have shown they know what they are doing, but I still shake my head at this one. At least the pick was a gimme.

Dulac-Lemelin I like this pick for 278th overall, as he's got size, will clear the crease, has a decent shot and seems to be physically strong. His skating isn't bad, but he's got to keep his feet moving, if not he gets in trouble, although he does have a long reach. I'll be keeping an eye on this kid, who knows what he might do in a few years if he can learn to read and react quicker.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I voted C, based on the wording of the options. But call it a C+ or a B-, maybe.

I was really happy with the #1 pick of Chipchura, of course. To me, that was a no-brainer when he was available, but I'm at least glad that management saw it that way too (it doesn't always work out that way). To me, he was the BPA and a perfect selection.

After that... I'm basically onboard with what montreal wrote...

I wasn't really aware of Yemelin or Wyman before the draft, and was a little bit miffed that they were picked ahead of some names I was more familiar with, but at least they sound like solid and intriguing picks now that I've read more about them.

The Grabovski pick boggled my mind. When guys like Haskins and Cabana were available and we could in all likelihood have still got Grabovski in the 9th round, I don't understand this one. He might have all the talent in the world, but he probably wasn't on (m)any other teams' lists, so we didn't have to reach for him this high. Gleed basically falls into a similar category. He seems like a fairly generic player, and it's hard to project an NHL-upside to him from the accounts I've been reading. At least with Grabovski, maybe you're swinging for some fences on pure talent.

Lacasse/Stewart/Dulac-Lemelin sound like decent depthish guys in junior, and I would rather have seen the Habs spend _all_ of their late round picks on 18-year olds with room to grow than on some of the others.

As for Streit... if they just picked him without talking to him, then I'm appalled at this one too. I hate it when teams don't seem to take the draft seriously, even in the 9th round, and start making crazy picks as jokes, 20-year old juniors set to become FAs, or older Europeans who they don't figure immediately in their plans. That's unprofessional, IMHO. Let's hope the Habs didn't do that, and have some realistic plan for Streit instead.

As for the trades... seems fine to me. (see past posts). Actually, though, when I stop and think about, I might revise the overall grade to A++++ on the strength of Quintal being officially and formally finally gone! Woohoo to that!

Old
06-30-2004, 02:38 PM
NWT Habs Fan

I have mixed feelings as well, but generally give the day a thumbs up.

Bonk: I believe that the Bonk trade was very good for the organization. Garon was a great backup, but he only plays once every three weeks and in return we ended up filling a huge gap on the team. Our third line is instantly upgraded, and he is a huge upgrade from the platoon of Juneau, Dowd, Perreault. And, we still have a good backup in return. Our team can now go head to head with the big Eastern centres like Sundin, Thornton and LeCav.

Chippy: I like because he isn't the small, offensive player that we have stocked the farm with. He has a more complete package, and although that is likely less sexy to many observers, his more subtle combination of talents could be just what the Habs need down the road. You can't argue with the leadership, and the intangibles he brings. I was split between him and Korpikoski as our pick approached, so I am happy with what he brings to our prospect depth.

Yemelin: gotta like a guy who can pick up 180 minutes in penalties in Russia. This sounds like a junior version of Kasparitis, and how bad is that? Brings something that the Habs don't have in their prospect depth, a defenceman with attitude. Kudos to Dan for flagging this guy pre-draft.

Wyman: the USHS system is producing more and more talent. Many kids who plan the NCAA route finish up in HS before they start college, rather than jumping up to play in the CHL. So, you get some good young kids who really dominate in their leagues. Wyman is another team captain who has good skills and will be part of a good NCAA team next season, where all of us will get our first glance of his potential.

The rest of the picks, I agree with Dan. Why draft an overager when there are likely going to be oodles of UFA's available shortly if needed? Two twenty-year olds is a puzzle too. A 20 year old Belarussian that doesn't really score? I like the fact that TT does not simply follow the CSS rankings and listings exclusively, but to pick that many players (I believe 4) that were not even ranked is quite a shock, to put it mildly. We shall see how our Day 2 guys develop over time. I am not as concerned that they used a late round pick to get another goalie, as it is just a depth and insurance move.

My only gap that I see this draft is no fire-wagon scoring forward (even an under-sized one!!). Wyman may turn into that player, but really hard to extrapolate his pro production from USHS production. I think it is always good to make sure you have one goal scorer each draft...again good for insurance and depth.

Last edited by NWT Habs Fan: 06-30-2004 at 02:41 PM.
Old
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I wasn't happy with the trade or picks. I am a big Garon fan, I don't think too highly of Huet or Bonk. If Theodore and Bonk play well though, that will help me forget giving up Garon, who I saw as Theodores replace by '06.

As for the picks, no one can really say just how we did for 3-5 years, but from the looks of it, I have to shake my head at what they were doing.

Chipchura I understand. I didn't like the pick, but we'll see what he does. I don't think he was the BPA, but if he's an effective 3rd liner for us in 3-4 years, then that's great. I do think he will be an NHLer, and with the home run pick last year, I assume they wanted a safe pick this year. I didn't think they would go that way, but it does make sense. His lack of goal production over the last 2 years is a concern, for a 1st overall pick at the whl draft. Making Team Canada would be great to see.

Yemelin I was interested in us getting, (even had a thread on him right before the draft, as I saw him as a replacement for Linhart in a way, in case Linhart doesn't pan out) I think it was a good pick, and have high hopes for him down the road cause we need more physicall players, imo. His lack of any offensive game is a concern, but he put up better numbers playing in the High league as an 18 year old then he did in the 1st league as a 17 year old. I hope he gets a look for Team Russia's U-20.

Wyman I was shocked they got him. I never expected us to go the USHS route, but this pick could turn into one of our better picks of this draft. Dartmouth is considered one of the favorites to win the ECAC next year, so he should get some good experience with them. I hope to see some Dartmouth games next year, as I know very little about this pick.

Grabovski is where it starts going down hill for us. If we liked him, why not pick him in '02 or '03 instead of taking him at 150th. I can't believe we couldn't have traded down to get him, but it's all just my arm chair opinion. I was very disappointed in this pick cause there were several quality prospects on board, imo. But if he Kastsitsyn in any way, then it makes a lot more sense. Still a quesitonable pick imo.

Lacasse I think is a decent goalie, but I was hoping we would stay clear of a goalie this draft. If we went the goalie route, I was hoping for Roberge from (R-N) or a late round goalie in Borisov (wasn't drafted anyways) Still Lacasse could end up being a solid goalie from the little I've seen. Next year will tell more as he should be the starter.

Gleed I think was a bit of a reach as well. After not being drafted last year, (although he didn't play much on a great defensive group) I didn't think he would be drafted this year, as he didn't turn it on offensively till mid season, and still had only a small offensive output. Does have good size and smarts, plus he's in a solid program, but I can't say I was thrilled about this pick, even though I think he could end up being a solid depth defensemen for Hamilton.

Stewart I understand this pick as he is a physical crash and bang winger. Didn't do too much offensively but skates well and has decent speed. Maybe his hands will catch up to him, if not he still might be a 4th line guy in say 5 years.

Streit I hated this pick, just as I hated the Jarventie and Ujeck picks. I don't understand why they grabbed a 26 year old defensemen, but perhaps he's brought over at some point. My money is on him being a wasted pick, which is why I am frustrated by this pick. I am not a professional, and our pros have shown they know what they are doing, but I still shake my head at this one. At least the pick was a gimme.

Dulac-Lemelin I like this pick for 278th overall, as he's got size, will clear the crease, has a decent shot and seems to be physically strong. His skating isn't bad, but he's got to keep his feet moving, if not he gets in trouble, although he does have a long reach. I'll be keeping an eye on this kid, who knows what he might do in a few years if he can learn to read and react quicker.
Have you already saw Chipchura play?

Old
06-30-2004, 04:07 PM
eddy

B: liked what we got in the trades, weren't exactly my favortie players but it's what we needed, wasn't overly estatic with the draft picks, i'm liking Chipchura more and more now though since i've been finding out more about him, i just thought he'd be an OK pick at first.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:28 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:

So, in overall you like/understand about double more picks than you dislike. I would not consider this bad picks then

I personnally like Bonk so i'm happy with the trade also but i understand that someone's who was liking Garon a lot might be pissed a bit more.

Old
06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
As much as I am a Garon fan, I have to admit that it was one of those trades that you just had to make. Theo has proven that he is a #1 goalie. Garon has not been given this chance but both are roughly the same age. Garon wants his chance and he wasn't going to get it behind Theo. Considering what SJ got for Kiprusoff and what other teams have gotten for goaltenders, this was a solid trade. Especially considering it filled a true need: A big centre for the 3rd line who can jump up to the 1st or 2nd if needed.

Quote:

Considering this year's draft wasn't considered to be very deep, I'm also quite happy with most picks. Chipchura is a safer pick who is projected at just about a minimum of 3rd line NHL duty with potential for 2nd line or more. He looks to be a character guy who can provide leadership on a team that always needs it.

Quote:

As for Streit (which looks to be the pick you are most displeased with), I think it's a strong pick. If anything, it's a very low pick that provides us with depth in a position that is hard to fill. The guy has experience in a top league and we could sign him and bring him over if we are hit by an injury bug. It's exactly the type of guy you would want for when you're making a possible playoff run. I know we have a lot of other Ds who can step in but if Philly is any indication, you can never have too many defensemen.

I do understand your point of view though.. if there is no injury bug, odds are this guy won't be signed and will never see an NHL game. I just consider it one of those "safe" picks to make to provide breathing room down the stretch.

Last edited by StanleyCH25: 06-30-2004 at 05:34 PM.
Old
06-30-2004, 05:36 PM
EaGLE1

I voted B.

Bonk will be a huge upgrade over Juneau.
Huet is a good and true no.2 goalie.
I was not high on Garon.
Kyle is a safe prospect. Experts seems to say that he will be a nhl regular.

Why i have not voted A
We have less money. Bonk is not worth 3.5 M. (But maybe 2.3, we seen worse)
We lost Garon. We could have trade someone else.

Old
06-30-2004, 06:09 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea
Have you already saw Chipchura play?

Only by clips and highlights, no full games yet. But I got to rank them all somewhere as best I can. I do talk to some of the scouts at ISS to get a professional opinion when I can, but at least with Chipchura I will have a much eaiser time getting to see him play a few games over Kastsitsyn who it is very tough to get games out of Russia.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Only by clips and highlights, no full games yet. But I got to rank them all somewhere as best I can. I do talk to some of the scouts at ISS to get a professional opinion when I can, but at least with Chipchura I will have a much eaiser time getting to see him play a few games over Kastsitsyn who it is very tough to get games out of Russia.
Chipchura said he played hurt a big part of last season... Maybe he was the BPA after all, I cant wait to see this kid play, he looks like a bright guy with a ton of charactere..

Old
06-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
I voted C because I don't really love the Bonk trade,and I was hoping for a better draft,I love Yemelin and Wyman and Im starting to feel more confortable with the Chipchura pick,but for the others guys,It's pretty.....well...let's say normal.....

Old
06-30-2004, 10:46 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
C Had average draft IMo , I don't very liked the Chipchura pick,Shremp was still available but I liked the Yemelin and the Wyman pick !!!! but the others pick disapointed me ,oh well let's say that the Streit pick was horrible ...

I am not too excited about the transaction yeah we got Bonk ( a big center he can help our team and our team has more size now ) but we give Garon a potentially number one starter and we receive Huet, a great backup not more but he is cheap ...

Last edited by CH Wizard: 06-30-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old
07-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Habbadasher

If two players we picked make the roster, then it is a successful draft, if we get three, it is an exceptional draft. The stats on the percentage of players who make it to the NHL after the first round is very poor. So why do we have to be happy with all of the picks?

We got Bonk with a third rounder and if Chipchura makes it we have the makings of a good draft.

Old
07-02-2004, 04:42 PM
bopeep

I voted C., felt okay about the trades; discouraged re: the draft. Maybe TT & AS have lost their mojo???

Old
07-03-2004, 06:08 PM
Habby

Streit VS Vagner ?

[QUOTE=montreal]I wasn't happy with the trade or picks.....

I voted B for the draft, because we got I think 3 NHL players in this draft... Chipchura, Bonk and possibly Yemelin. However I don't understand the MARK STREIT pick.... what kind of crap is this ? I'm sure he would have been not selected at all in the draft... and Martin Vagner was still available !!!! At least Vagner could play for Hamilton next season and his contract request woul have been much lower with a 9th round selection. Not that I'm a big fan of Vagner, but still, it's way better in term of depth. I'm sure Streit will be at best a Bashkirov, Ujtec or Jarventie type of player.. one year tourist...

And what happen to Cabana ? Flyers got him in the 6th round... sound cheap for a possible steal if his attitude gets better. I'm satisfied with what I've read about Wyman and I'm pleased about Stewart, but we have no Halak, Kospikari, Korneev or late picks that could blossom.

It wasn't a great draft this year, cause I don't think we got any impact player, but we still end up with 3 possible NHL players, but following the recent draft, I was routing for more... at least 1 steal as Timmins use to do.... For us it's easy to second guess but still I hate this pick.

What do you guys think ? Streit or Vagner ? And how come Cabana as slip this far ?

Old
07-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Bonk - I wasn't overwhelmed with this trade. Mostly, because I know Bonk's large contract has cost us Kovalev or a decent shot at UFA like Demitra or Palffy.

Garon - I do not like trading him because as I write this I am not convinced of Garon's upside. Just how good can this guy become? In what relatively small opportunity he was given playing behind Theodore...Garon played well.

Chipchura - I don't mind his selection as much as the Garon/Bonk. I would not have picked him but I see the Habs philosphy here as they chose a player with great heart, character and defensive ability. The got the best player in the draft with those qualities.

Old
07-04-2004, 06:42 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habby
What do you guys think ? Streit or Vagner ? And how come Cabana as slip this far ?
Streit vs. Vagner... I don't even like Vagner, but I'd rather take him. Presuming, that is, that the Habs have no immediate plans for Streit and haven't already contacted him about coming over.

Cabana... probably slipped because teams just don't feel he has an upside. If he makes the NHL, it's probably as a 4th line character player a la Steve Begin, and most NHL teams are aware that players like that can be found frequently on the waiver wire, or signed relatively cheaply as free agents.

Old
07-04-2004, 05:19 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

My biggest question marks of our picks are Grabovski at 150th, which I'm completely at a loss for as to why we picked him so high. Why not take him with a late pick on '03 or '02, why take him so high, when there was some very interesting players left on board. I know I'm just an arm chair fan, but this pick is one that I just don't get. For the record, I know next to nothing about this player, and what the teams plans are for him. I do understand the Kastsitsyn angle though.

And I've already said how I don't like the Streit pick. He'll be 27 soon, and from the sound of it he's got some good skills, but it just seems like another waste of a pick.

Old
07-04-2004, 05:24 PM
CH Wizard

Quote:
My biggest question marks of our picks are Grabovski at 150th, which I'm completely at a loss for as to why we picked him so high. Why not take him with a late pick on '03 or '02, why take him so high, when there was some very interesting players left on board. I know I'm just an arm chair fan, but this pick is one that I just don't get. For the record, I know next to nothing about this player, and what the teams plans are for him. I do understand the Kastsitsyn angle though.

And I've already said how I don't like the Streit pick. He'll be 27 soon, and from the sound of it he's got some good skills, but it just seems like another waste of a pick.

And what about the BONNEAU pick ,I think he's a waste of pick too BTW does Streit can play in Hamilton next season ??? I hope he get signed and come play for the DOGS if not it's a HUGE waste of pick IMO.

Old
07-04-2004, 05:44 PM
CH Wizard

The Grabovski pick deceive me too and let's not forge that he's born in 84 and I know this guy has skills but at least does he is good defensively ??

Old
07-04-2004, 06:01 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreatone
And what about the BONNEAU pick ,I think he's a waste of pick too BTW does Streit can play in Hamilton next season ??? I hope he get signed and come play for the DOGS if not it's a HUGE waste of pick IMO.

I think the Bonneau pick wasn't a waste of a pick cause he was 18 and still has many years to develop. He will likely never play in the NHL imo, but he has come a long way already, and next year should he should have a bigger role with Rocket. I think he's learning the game, as he seemed to learn when to drop the gloves and when not to this year. I listened to many of the Rocket's games, and he seems to be improving in all aspects of the game. In a few years, who knows.

Streit won't play in Hamilton, imo when he would have to take a big pay cut just to play there. Why leave his home when he gets a house car and salary to come to North America where there might not be an NHL season? Maybe they have something worked out, but from the sound of Timmins comments, it doesn't seem likely we will see Streit.

Grabovski I know nothing about other then where he's played. If he's in Russia again next year, I might be able to get a game or two of him on tape.

Closed Thread