HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top 25 Atlantic Division Prospects

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
  #1
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Top 25 Atlantic Division Prospects

Just to branch away from the overwhelming trade speculation stuff, I thought this would be a nice way to pimp our organization. I was gonna do a top 25 trade value list but I seem to take contracts into consideration way more than others and that debate would just lead to mass hysteria. Also with individual team's top 20 lists coming out this is an appropriate time for such a list.

So here it goes...

1. Nino Niedereiter - NYI
2. Derek Stepan - NYR
3. Chris Kreider - NYR

4. Travis Hamonic - NYI
5. Ryan McDonagh - NYR
6. Sergei Babrovsky - PHI
7. Jacob Josefsen - NJD
8. Mike Sauer - NYR
9. Dylan McIlrath - NYR

10. Mattias Tedenby - NJD
11. Mats Zuccarello - NYR
12. Calvin de Haan - NYI
13. John Merrill - NJD
14. Christian Thomas - NYR
15. Eric Tangradi - PIT
16. Ethan Werek - NYR
17. Beau Bennett - PIT
18. Evgeni Grachev - NYR
19. Alexander Urbom - NJD
20. Simone Depres - PIT

21-25 : Kirill Kabonov - NYI, Casey Cizikas - NYI, Brock Nelson - NYI, Matt Corrente - NJD, Dustin Jeffrey - PIT

Disclaimer: This is my personal list and is not meant to conform to the masses.


Last edited by MSG the place to be*: 02-15-2011 at 03:47 PM.
MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:46 PM
  #2
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Is it me or does one Dman look really out of place on that list?


Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:48 PM
  #3
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Is it me or does one Dman look really out of place on that list?

Could you elaborate further?

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:49 PM
  #4
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Pit and Philly are just really lacking.

I almost felt compelled to include Depres even though I thought he was attrocious on Team Canada.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
  #5
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
you're missing a few players.. but whatever, it looks like a great ranger list lol

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
  #6
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,073
vCash: 50
Tedenby + Merrill > McIlrath, and I'd also take Stepan over Nino in a snap.

Otherwise, not bad.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:51 PM
  #7
TreeSapLlama
Registered User
 
TreeSapLlama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 713
vCash: 500
I think that is a pretty fair list. I would probably bump Tedenby up a few spots though.

TreeSapLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:53 PM
  #8
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,063
vCash: 500
I don't think Nino deserves to be at the top of the list, don't know who does though (Step? ).

I'd take Tedenby over D-Mac.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 03:56 PM
  #9
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Tedenby + Merrill > McIlrath, and I'd also take Stepan over Nino in a snap.

Otherwise, not bad.
I wouldn't trade Stepan for Nino either but I think that Step has a significantly lower ceiling due to his skating and strength. Both will improve but will become average at best most likely. Nino is a surefire NHLer who also has the potential to be one of the top players in the league. And I didn't even want to draft him because he was overhyped for having a cool name.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:05 PM
  #10
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
You overrate a lot of our boys and are severely underrating Tedenby, from my initial glance.

9 of 25 of the top 25 prospects ours?

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:16 PM
  #11
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
You overrate a lot of our boys and are severely underrating Tedenby, from my initial glance.

9 of 25 of the top 25 prospects ours?
Yea well Philly might be the worst pool in the NHL, Pittsburgh is close to the bottom, and the devils are in the bottom half.

We also have really good prospect depth.

What can I tell ya.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:45 PM
  #12
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,525
vCash: 500
Step should be #1 over Nino and I like Nino

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
  #13
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope
 
EvilCorporateLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 75,166
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Tedenby + Merrill > McIlrath, and I'd also take Stepan over Nino in a snap.

Otherwise, not bad.
No...

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
  #14
FutureGM97
Registered User
 
FutureGM97's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Connecticut, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,833
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Tedenby should be closer to the top...its an interesting list tho

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:24 PM
  #15
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
I wouldn't trade Stepan for Nino either but I think that Step has a significantly lower ceiling due to his skating and strength. Both will improve but will become average at best most likely. Nino is a surefire NHLer who also has the potential to be one of the top players in the league. And I didn't even want to draft him because he was overhyped for having a cool name.
In my opinion, Stepan is already an average NHLer. 32 points in 58 games and +1. Granted, stats don't tell the whole story, thats pretty good.

I don't think its possible for him to improve and end up average. He's average now - if he improves he's going to be very good.


Last edited by haveandare: 02-15-2011 at 05:31 PM.
haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
  #16
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
This list prompted me to look at some league-wide prospect lists that are a little...ahem...less biased. What jumps out at you is that the Atlantic Division as a whole is well below average on league-wide lists.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:44 PM
  #17
MSG the place to be*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,783
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
In my opinion, Stepan is already an average NHLer. 32 points in 58 games and +1. Granted, stats don't tell the whole story, thats pretty good.

I don't think its possible for him to improve and end up average. He's average now - if he improves he's going to be very good.
What I wrote and meant was that Stepans SPEED and STRENGTH are going to develop to league average.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 05:46 PM
  #18
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
This list prompted me to look at some league-wide prospect lists that are a little...ahem...less biased. What jumps out at you is that the Atlantic Division as a whole is well below average on league-wide lists.
Yeah on first glance, but when you realize that most of our division has excellent youth that JUST graduated and are already playing with their big clubs you see its not that bad.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:03 PM
  #19
Jersey Girl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Yeah on first glance, but when you realize that most of our division has excellent youth that JUST graduated and are already playing with their big clubs you see its not that bad.
If you look at the rookie goal scoring leaders, 5 of the top 30 are from the Atlantic division. That's exactly 1/6, so apparently other divisions have also JUST graduated a lot of players...we just don't seem them as often.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:21 PM
  #20
bernmeister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,774
vCash: 500
Why not kreider at the top of the list???

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:45 PM
  #21
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
If you look at the rookie goal scoring leaders, 5 of the top 30 are from the Atlantic division. That's exactly 1/6, so apparently other divisions have also JUST graduated a lot of players...we just don't seem them as often.
Rookie goal scoring is just part of the picture. The young talent in the Atlantic been playing more than just one year. Just graduated means in the last few years, they are still young, but not just 'prospects' anymore.

If your point is the division has weak young prospects that's only because they've graduated into NHL'ers. Our division holds some of the youngest players in the league, and definitely some of the best.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 06:56 PM
  #22
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Rookie goal scoring is just part of the picture. The young talent in the Atlantic been playing more than just one year. Just graduated means in the last few years, they are still young, but not just 'prospects' anymore.

If your point is the division has weak young prospects that's only because they've graduated into NHL'ers. Our division holds some of the youngest players in the league, and definitely some of the best.
In a division that holds Sidney Crosby, Marc and Jordan Staal, Ryan Callahan, Claude Giroux, Brandon Dubinsky, Tavares, etc, etc, and of course guys who are still prospects like Step and Tedenby, I'd have to say we're one of the better divisions featuring up and coming young talent.

Then again, I'd wager most divisions are pretty close when it comes to having good youth talent.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:15 PM
  #23
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Miller Time NYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,008
vCash: 500
Stepan>nino
Grachev>>>>>werek
Bob at#3 behind step and nino
This list is also very biased towards ranger players IMO, it's expected but our upper esch of prospects aren't well ahead of the rest of the atlantic.

Miller Time NYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 07:17 PM
  #24
JeffMangum
~anger~
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 58,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No...


Just what I think myself. Always been a big Merrill fan.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2011, 08:19 PM
  #25
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post
What I wrote and meant was that Stepans SPEED and STRENGTH are going to develop to league average.
Oh, I see. My bad. I thought you meant both he and Nino would end up average at best. Agreed on your actual point.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.