HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Martin talk to his players?

Old
02-17-2011, 10:54 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

vCash: 500
Does Martin talk to his players?

Tonight in the third period after Edmonton scored two to go up 3-1, Martin called a timeout, when the camera went to the Habs' bench Martin was just silently scribbling in that notebook of his.

I don't think I've ever seen Martin communicating with players. I watch on the internet, dunno what's usually happening on the bench, guys who go to the Bell: does Martin talk to his players during games?

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze: 02-17-2011 at 11:32 PM.
JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:55 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

It was a timeout to settle the players down. Slow the game down. It's the first time he's ever taken one.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
He surround himself with a coaching team. Muller is the motivator,etc...

But Martin is still the head coach, he has to be the one who has the speech in the locker room, between the periods.

I don;t mind if he doesn't communicate with the press... I'm just wondering Mr. bore it all is telling the guys in the locker room to do it, or is it it Gill/Muller....etc

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:01 PM
DJ Breadman

yeah like 99% of the time Captain Kirk does the talking in timeouts

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Habblues

He`s pathetic ! Mr "I really don`t give a damn". No more fire than an icecube ! And it rubs off on the team. They just don`t or can`t compete for three periods......NO FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m sick of it............fffffffffffffffffff

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:05 PM
stubbadub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Because he should be the actual coach.

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:29 PM
snakeye

The coach knew what the time out was for, the players knew what the time out was for. Everyone knew what they needed to do. No need for useless Hollywood type motivational speech.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
haburger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Tonight in the third period after Edmonton scored two to go up 3-1, Martin called a timeout, when the camera went to the Habs' bench Martin was just silently scribbling in that fuggin' notebook of his.

I don't think I've ever seen Martin communicating with players. I watch on the internet, dunno what's usually happening on the bench, guys who go to the Bell: does Martin talk to his players during games?
lol yea martin doesnt communicate with his players.coaches rarely do that.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnt2009 View Post
Can you really talk to guys like Gomez and Kostitsyn who are just there to steal a check? They don't care and never will. Need to remove those two clowns asap.
Yeah, that's not the right night to say that.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2011, 11:57 PM
habtastic

I'm sure JM has something that works in his mysterious ways but it is superficially frustrating to no end when you don't even see him telling them what to do and delegating everything to Kirk. They should hear it from Alf. But like I said, I feel that JM knows what he's doing, it's just hard to watch. I guess he can't help them finish their chances.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 12:14 AM
jamz

He lets his hair do the talking

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Max et Guillaume

To be fair, the head coach shouldn't be the one talking to the players on the bench during a game, that's what the assistant is there. During play, he's there to coach a game, not motivate players. As to what happens in the locker room, no one knows how much talking he does, so there's no point in assuming really...

As for the timeout, it really depends on the type of timeout and the atmosphere of the game at that point, as others have pointed out.

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:14 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

George Laraque was saying when he played for the Habs it was Muller that was talking to the players in the lockerroom also as far as talking about the game plan and so forth. I figure Martin is not the greatest communicator so he talk about the game plan with the coaching staff and let the others do the talking.

I have a hard time seeing a coach act that way. To me a coach is like the movie director and should do the brunt of the work. A great movie director is responsible for everything from how everything looks to guiding the actors, be there in the tick of the fight, not just say "action!" one time. The same with a platoon leader on a battlefield. I've seen Muller act way back when he was a young pup in Jersey and that's a leader.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:24 AM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
The coach knew what the time out was for, the players knew what the time out was for. Everyone knew what they needed to do. No need for useless Hollywood type motivational speech.
Yeah. Exactly. Some people would rather have Bruce Boudreau than Jacques Martin... What about re-hiring Mario Tremblay, or even better, Patrick Roy ? two guys full of emotions. I'm sure they wouldn't go overboard with all the extra crazyness that constitutes Montréal...

There's different type of coaches like there's different type of players. Respect Jacques Martin's hussle !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I have a hard time seeing a coach act that way. To me a coach is like the movie director and should do the brunt of the work. A great movie director is responsible for everything from how everything looks to guiding the actors, be there in the tick of the fight, not just say "action!" one time. The same with a platoon leader on a battlefield. I've seen Muller act way back when he was a young pup in Jersey and that's a leader.
Good analogy. But again. If you talk too much you get the actors off their game. Have you seen Denys Arcand ? he doesn't look like a verbomachine, not at all.

Last edited by FF de Mars: 02-18-2011 at 01:52 AM.
FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:29 AM
BobLoblaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
He`s pathetic ! Mr "I really don`t give a damn". No more fire than an icecube ! And it rubs off on the team. They just don`t or can`t compete for three periods......NO FIRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I`m sick of it............fffffffffffffffffff
Don't mean to pick on you, but I don't understand comments like this.

I've been around HF for a long time, and complaining about the coach is a never-ending theme on the Habs board. He's always incompetent/complacent/lacking X qualities, whatever. Everyone on this board seems to be a great armchair coach.

When we had Therrien, he was too emotional. When we had Vigneault, he was too defensive. When we had Carbonneau, he wasn't experienced enough and didn't communicate. With Martin now, he's too bland and lacks fire.

Martin brought us to the Conference finals without our best player. Prior to Martin getting here, we could barely string together a .500 record without Markov. This season, he's brought us to within 1 pt of the division and 3rd in the conference with half a D corps and long-term injuries to key players. But he gets no credit for it. Instead, you get the typical "Halak brought us to the Finals" arguments. Sure, he was a large part of it, but Martin out-coached Boudreau and Bylsma in both series IMO. He knows his Xs and Os, and is a great tactician. But, the experts here at HF don't like a line combo or defensive tactic and throw him under the bus during a bad run. It grows tiresome.

He's brought us farther than any other coach since '93. He did that with a brand new roster and without our best player. He got every player on board and moving in the same direction.

I'm glad he's around.

BobLoblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:20 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post

I've been around HF for a long time, and complaining about the coach is a never-ending theme on the Habs board. He's always incompetent/complacent/lacking X qualities, whatever. Everyone on this board seems to be a great armchair coach.

When we had Therrien, he was too emotional. When we had Vigneault, he was too defensive. When we had Carbonneau, he wasn't experienced enough and didn't communicate. With Martin now, he's too bland and lacks fire.

Martin brought us to the Conference finals without our best player. Prior to Martin getting here, we could barely string together a .500 record without Markov. This season, he's brought us to within 1 pt of the division and 3rd in the conference with half a D corps and long-term injuries to key players. But he gets no credit for it. Instead, you get the typical "Halak brought us to the Finals" arguments. Sure, he was a large part of it, but Martin out-coached Boudreau and Bylsma in both series IMO. He knows his Xs and Os, and is a great tactician. But, the experts here at HF don't like a line combo or defensive tactic and throw him under the bus during a bad run. It grows tiresome.

He's brought us farther than any other coach since '93. He did that with a brand new roster and without our best player. He got every player on board and moving in the same direction.

I'm glad he's around.
what are you doing? this is hf! WHINE!!!!

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:51 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:

I'm glad he's around.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! I'm SOOOOO sick of coming on these boards and listening to people complain and whine about Martin coaching a boring system or not knowing how to treat his younger players etc. It's complete bull$hit!!!!

Jacques Martin has made a nice career out of being a successful NHL coach....but for some reason, people on here seem to ignore that and blame every loss on the coach. The fact that Martin brought the Habs to the Conference Finals last year by out coaching Bruce Boudreau and Dan Bylsma speaks volumes by itself!!! Yes, Halak played well, Cammy scored some big goals and the team played great defensively, but Martin won his matchups against the Caps and Pens....and the players bought into his system and it worked.

If the players on the ice aren't going to give 100%, that isn't Martin's fault. All Martin can do is try to motivate the players and the rest is up to them. If they wanna play a lazy game and turn the puck over and not backcheck, then it doesn't matter who is coaching, the Habs are gonna lose the game. When the players give 100% and we dominate the other team, thats because the players are trying hard and playing the system that Martin is teaching them.....but for some reason....nobody in here wants to give that credit to Martin....it makes no sense.

I'm happy to have Martin as the head coach. He's the first coach we've had in years that knows how the league works, knows what it takes to win and knows how to outsmart the opposing coach in most cases.....Carbo never out smarted anybody when he coached!!!

The fact that Martin has lead the Habs to a playoff spot last year and this season so far with so many key players battling injuries tells you that smart coaching is what is making the difference. 2 or 3 years ago, if Markov was out of the lineup, we had no chance of winning hockey games....but with a smart coach and players playing the system, we can play without key players and still put up wins....and thats all that really matters.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:55 AM
neofury*

Quote:

I'm glad he's around.
Agree 100%. Even if I do believe Muller is a big part of it too coaching isn't the issue with this team.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:19 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Why do people care if Martin talks or he's a mute? As long as the team has success I don't give a ****.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:03 AM
gillyguzzler

Somebody should steal his little scribble pad and post the content on HF.

scribble 1 - "look at Joel Bouchard wringing his big hands... never never will I give him an interview between shifts... I'll send Kirk and he can say Merci beaucoup and they can smile"

scribble 2 - "look at Pierre Mcguire fogging up his pretty glasses... I'd give him an interview any time"

scribble 3 - "Darche... hurt? Slower than Hal Gill tonight? dress him anyways and put him on the PP with DD to piss off AK!"

scribble 4 - "pick up qtips on the way home... big ones, not the cheap no name ones"

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
To me a coach is like the movie director and should do the brunt of the work. A great movie director is responsible for everything from how everything looks to guiding the actors, be there in the tick of the fight, not just say "action!" one time. The same with a platoon leader on a battlefield. I've seen Muller act way back when he was a young pup in Jersey and that's a leader.
It's interesting that you're using that comparison because there is not 2 directors that work the same. Some act as "content producer" and are just coordinating the work of all the other pro around them (photo director, artistic director, cameraman, etc.) Believe me, some are almost never talking to the staff (but I do agree that most are directing the actors).

For example, Woody Allen don't even enter in the editing booth. He's already writing his next script when a movie is at that stage, and he has full confidence in the guy who's editing.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:30 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
I have zero problem with this...it should be 100% of the time. Muller is a smart man.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Joe Cole

Scotty Bowman once said, "I never talk between the whistles. That is when the cameras are on you."

This is not a secret, and most coaches are the same. Most of them are not there for our entertainment, not like the clowns of the past like Cherry and Bergeron.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
HabsNation514

It is downright ludicrous and absurd that some of you are ok with a coach not talking to his players.

While I agree that one of JM's better qualities is that he doesn't get too high or too low, his bench demeanor comes very close to apathy.

As professionals, it can be debated how much x's and o's or motivational support the players need, but it is unquestionably the head coach's responsibility to verbally get his message across. In every major sport, the teams that win have coaches that can light a fire under their players through constant dialogue and intense practices.

Obviously Muller's superior communication skills will make him a valuable commodity as a head coach.

HabsNation514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
Dick Whitman

Hab fan, you need to settle down a bit. Jacques Martin is one of the best coaches in hockey and his coaching style got you to the conference finals last year.

I think he deserves a little more respect than what you're showing him. But yeah, if you want him fired, we'd gladly take him back in Ottawa.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote