HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does Martin talk to his players?

Old
02-18-2011, 02:00 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
When it comes to his players I don't believe he is a great communicator nor do I think he uses his players to their fullest potential. I think he is good with the media and he has a system that is reasonably successful.

Overall, I really have mixed feelings about him.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Hammerstein

One only needs to look at his ears to see that JM wasn't built for communicating but rather listening

Hammerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

As Dany Dubé often says, the more you talk, the less impact your words have on your players (Boudreau). If you don't talk often, they'll listen to you when you do (Bowman).

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 03:08 PM
Joe Cole

What is really funny is that Carbonneau was very loud behind the bench, but players publicly stated that they had not talked to the coach over long stretches.

On the other hand, no player has ever said that about Martin.

But the media keeps repeating that he is a man of little words, and stoic, and the fans lap it up like little puppies.

Could it be at all possible that he does not put on a clown suit for the media and fans, and buy them coffee at Tim Horton's every day, yet he has good communication with the people that count, his players?

Naw.... it must be what the broadcasters repeat. The same boradcasters that cannot tell the difference between a tip in for a line change, and a missed pass.

I have never been a Martin fan but this mob mentality is just scary.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 05:58 PM
icerocket

No he doesn't. In fact he doesn't even know how to talk. Why? Because he is a bear and bear don't know how to talk.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Don't mean to pick on you, but I don't understand comments like this.

I've been around HF for a long time, and complaining about the coach is a never-ending theme on the Habs board. He's always incompetent/complacent/lacking X qualities, whatever. Everyone on this board seems to be a great armchair coach.

When we had Therrien, he was too emotional. When we had Vigneault, he was too defensive. When we had Carbonneau, he wasn't experienced enough and didn't communicate. With Martin now, he's too bland and lacks fire.

Martin brought us to the Conference finals without our best player. Prior to Martin getting here, we could barely string together a .500 record without Markov. This season, he's brought us to within 1 pt of the division and 3rd in the conference with half a D corps and long-term injuries to key players. But he gets no credit for it. Instead, you get the typical "Halak brought us to the Finals" arguments. Sure, he was a large part of it, but Martin out-coached Boudreau and Bylsma in both series IMO. He knows his Xs and Os, and is a great tactician. But, the experts here at HF don't like a line combo or defensive tactic and throw him under the bus during a bad run. It grows tiresome.

He's brought us farther than any other coach since '93. He did that with a brand new roster and without our best player. He got every player on board and moving in the same direction.

I'm glad he's around.
I'm sorry dude, you just don't fit in around here

Seriously, nice post

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I don't think we'd be making the playoffs w/o Martin, so I really don't get this whole communication crap.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:34 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

When does Martin's contract expire?

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
It's interesting that you're using that comparison because there is not 2 directors that work the same. Some act as "content producer" and are just coordinating the work of all the other pro around them (photo director, artistic director, cameraman, etc.) Believe me, some are almost never talking to the staff (but I do agree that most are directing the actors).

For example, Woody Allen don't even enter in the editing booth. He's already writing his next script when a movie is at that stage, and he has full confidence in the guy who's editing.
It's not like Woody is making action movies or elaborate crazy flicks. He just shoots character pieces, exactly what's on the page. He doesn't need to be in the editing room. Guys like Martin Scorcese and Oliver Stone are pretty much like I mentioned, platoon leaders.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadyens View Post
As Dany Dubé often says, the more you talk, the less impact your words have on your players (Boudreau). If you don't talk often, they'll listen to you when you do (Bowman).
When he said that, he was asked about the difference in coaching style.

And have you seen Bowman when he was coaching The Habs? He was like Guy Boucher, talking to the players on the bench and so forth. He was lively as Hell. But that's because Bowman was a psychologist like Keenan in his prime, talking to the players to play mind games with them.

But talking to the players doesn't mean constantly screaming. It can mean supporting them by a good tap on the shoulders, offering quiet advices after they've done a play. If you're a coach and you're completly silent, you might as well not be there.

There's more to coaching than practice and line changes. Anyway that's how I see it.

Old
02-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
Don't mean to pick on you, but I don't understand comments like this.

I've been around HF for a long time, and complaining about the coach is a never-ending theme on the Habs board. He's always incompetent/complacent/lacking X qualities, whatever. Everyone on this board seems to be a great armchair coach.

When we had Therrien, he was too emotional. When we had Vigneault, he was too defensive. When we had Carbonneau, he wasn't experienced enough and didn't communicate. With Martin now, he's too bland and lacks fire.

Martin brought us to the Conference finals without our best player. Prior to Martin getting here, we could barely string together a .500 record without Markov. This season, he's brought us to within 1 pt of the division and 3rd in the conference with half a D corps and long-term injuries to key players. But he gets no credit for it. Instead, you get the typical "Halak brought us to the Finals" arguments. Sure, he was a large part of it, but Martin out-coached Boudreau and Bylsma in both series IMO. He knows his Xs and Os, and is a great tactician. But, the experts here at HF don't like a line combo or defensive tactic and throw him under the bus during a bad run. It grows tiresome.

He's brought us farther than any other coach since '93. He did that with a brand new roster and without our best player. He got every player on board and moving in the same direction.

I'm glad he's around.
It was mainly Muller. The PK saved us and it was all Muller.

Old
02-18-2011, 08:12 PM
guest1467

You prepare players how to play the system and the gameplan before the game, not during. Players arent idiots, they know what the coach wants, they dont need to be treated like kids on the bench. You need to make adjustments, you make them in the intermission. The coaching job during the game is about matchups and executing the gameplan. Martin is not there to motivate, that is the assistants job, he is there to run the bench.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Habs 1909

Nope.

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
When does Martin's contract expire?
Two seasons from now

Martin seems to have done a decent job. As long as the players keep buying into what he's selling, I have no issues.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:22 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Two seasons from now

Martin seems to have done a decent job. As long as the players keep buying into what he's selling, I have no issues.
I figured it would be better to replace him in the sense that he'll likely retire after that and if we're going to do these floater seasons where we make the playoffs but don't go far we should at least get a new coach experience and used to the team. Ideally Kirk Muller would stay on as assistant coach until then and slowly take control, but I'm not too confident that's even a possibility.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:24 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Two seasons from now

Agreed, and in addition, as long as they keep a linear line of progression(which they have from last season), he should not be fired.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
I figured it would be better to replace him in the sense that he'll likely retire after that and if we're going to do these floater seasons where we make the playoffs but don't go far we should at least get a new coach experience and used to the team. Ideally Kirk Muller would stay on as assistant coach until then and slowly take control, but I'm not too confident that's even a possibility.
What evidence do you have to support this?

Old
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Tonight in the third period after Edmonton scored two to go up 3-1, Martin called a timeout, when the camera went to the Habs' bench Martin was just silently scribbling in that notebook of his.

I don't think I've ever seen Martin communicating with players. I watch on the internet, dunno what's usually happening on the bench, guys who go to the Bell: does Martin talk to his players during games?
I think he just needed help with his Soduko puzzle.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:49 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
What evidence do you have to support this?
Martin is old as hell.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:51 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Martin is old as hell.
I was refering to the second part.

Old
02-18-2011, 11:58 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
I was refering to the second part.
Oh. Obviously I have a crystal ball.

I didn't mean it in a negative sense, we're just not close to having a roster that are "cup favourites". I feel like the Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri window was a temporary patch and not a long-term plan or anything. We're winning now AND developing great players with later picks. If we continue to do this by the time those contracts expire we could have a good younger coach like Muller and a good young core so we don't have to rely on Gionta/Gomez/Cammalleri as first line scoring.. If we win a cup in between it's just gravy.

Sort of like what Brian Burke tried to do in Toronto, except we were successful you know?

Old
02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
guest1467

Quote:
Oh. Obviously I have a crystal ball.

I didn't mean it in a negative sense, we're just not close to having a roster that are "cup favourites". I feel like the Gomez-Gionta-Cammalleri window was a temporary patch and not a long-term plan or anything. We're winning now AND developing great players with later picks. If we continue to do this by the time those contracts expire we could have a good younger coach like Muller and a good young core so we don't have to rely on Gionta/Gomez/Cammalleri as first line scoring.. If we win a cup in between it's just gravy.

Sort of like what Brian Burke tried to do in Toronto, except we were successful you know?
Then you hire an experienced coach to replace him after his contract expires. Younger coaches are vastly over rated.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:35 AM
dd

I am not a big Martin fan, but he has done a good job with average players at his disposal. Bowman was supposedly not a great communicator either, but he had good players. The current Habs' roster has nowhere near the great players of yesteryear, but they are in contention for a playoff spot. When the team plays the system, they seem to win. This team is middle of the road and Martin is doing OK with the ingredients he has.

dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:25 AM
bib
#believe

As somebody who has sat behind him during a game; he very rarely communicates.

More 1st hand input would be nice.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Komarov47

nobody knows because nobody is in the locker room /THREAD

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote