HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[BOS/TOR]: Kaberle for Colborne, Boston's '11 1st rounder, Conditional '12 2nd

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
That's a pretty good deal for both sides, even for a rental Kaberle. Then again, there was a lot of room for a good deal on both sides. Boston problably could've justified trading Seguin, Toronto problably could've justified trading Kaberle for only a 2nd round pick.

This is viewed as a weak draft and Boston's pick will most likely be in the bottom 4, as I'd expect the Eastern Conference final to be Philly-Boston. Colborne is obviously a former 16th overall pick, but this guy is still a real project for Boston, and has lacklustre production in providence. Trading him allows them to keep Zach Hammil, Jordan Caron, and Brad Marchand who are all more ready to contribute at the bottom of an NHL lineup.

As for the extension, people need to realize that there is a risk/reward factor in trades, and look at both possibilities. If Kaberle resigns, this is a ridiculously good deal for Boston. If he doesn't, then it's not a great deal. Could this risk have been mitigated by taking out the first, and sending something like 2011 2nd, and if he does resign, the 2012 1st aswell? sure, but that also limits the potential rewards of resigning him.

For Torornto it gives them plenty of possibilities. I suspect that they try to develop Colborne into a LW because of what should be a pretty decent fit with Kessel once he puts some weight on, with Nazem Kadri at centre. What will be interesting to see is if Colborne ends up playing for the Leafs this season or whether he finishes the year with the Marlies. Toronto is now also looking at a pair of later first round picks, with some interesting questions for their roster. Do they need a #1 C and #1 LW next year, or are they going to have both Nazem Kadri and Joe Colborne in the opening day lineup?

Old
02-18-2011, 10:15 AM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
When/if this trade is announced. I want it followed up by a Kaberle extension right afterwards.
I think it will be, Kabs is rumoured to want an extension wherever he goes.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:16 AM
WhalerTurnedBruin55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
It begins, Joe Colborne goes from a potential top 6 forward to a bust as soon as he becomes Leaf property .
In all honesty, I think he will develop quicker in the leafs system, more or less because you'll have more playing time for him.

I think Colborne has the equal chance of potentially being a bust as the chances that Kaberle sucks in Boston (or we just get bounced early in the PO's) and walks at the end of the season. It could happen, either way, but hopefully for both teams sakes it works out.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Chapter President

vCash: 50

"Chewie... we're home."
Old
02-18-2011, 10:18 AM
CellarDweller0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
A late first and potential bust?

If Kabs is re-signed, this deal only gets better for Boston. I'm glad they didn't give up Knight, Spooner, or Caron.
I don't know how you can call a 21year old prospect in his third year a bust. That's something I would expect a Leaf fan would say about their own prospects under the same situation.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:19 AM
Eennad142

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
I don't think Bruins fans will have a worry about Kaberle re-signing.
He'll get to play with fellow countryman (or, sort of, isn't Chara a Slovak?), Boston is a lovely city, and he's the type of quiet, low-key guy that will appreciate being wanted by Bruins management. He'll instantly boost your transition game. One of the best passers from the blueline I've had the liberty to watch, and we'll miss him.
You guys will love him. Boston didn't overpay here.

Don't overdo the sales pitch. 'T M L' may feel it necessary to reassure us that Kabs is a 'Ferrari', as he did yesterday.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Madic

A good laugh at overvaluing Knight. Who cares about Knight? Most teams have a couple prospects like him. Colborne may very well be a bust, but if you think Knight is a better top 6 candidate, you're hilarious.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
If Kaberle gets his extension with Boston then this is a great deal for both sides. If he walks Boston slightly overpaid, but it is only slightly. We are talking about a great PMD being moved for a pick and a prospect here.
If he re-signs, its a fair deal for both teams...

If he doesn't Boston got hosed.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
It begins, Joe Colborne goes from a potential top 6 forward to a bust as soon as he becomes Leaf property .
to be fair people have been dubbing Greg Nemisz a bust and he's putting up comparable numbers to Colborne in the AHL, I like to use that example as to why people are not being fair with Nemisz... but unfortunately it can work both ways

Old
02-18-2011, 10:24 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

If in fact true (Kabs is dealt for a 1st and good prospect) than the jokes on all those HF users that thought Kabs wasn't worth more than a 2nd and meddling prospect but why, out of all teams, does it have to be the Bruins?! I really hope Kabby doesn't sign there. We play the Bruins 6 times a year and Chara/Kaberle will be absolutely devastating to play against

Old
02-18-2011, 10:25 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

With all the talks about Boston's done deal, am I the only one who would be laughing if Kaberle was traded elsewhere but Boston?

Old
02-18-2011, 10:26 AM
ScottyFreakinUpshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
With all the talks about Boston's done deal, am I the only one who would be laughing if Kaberle was traded elsewhere but Boston?
we will laugh together my friend!

Old
02-18-2011, 10:27 AM
The Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
Don't overdo the sales pitch. 'T M L' may feel it necessary to reassure us that Kabs is a 'Ferrari', as he did yesterday.
I'm not. He has been one of the top point producing defensemen is the league for years, on a bottom-feeding team. I've been an advocate of re-signing him, not trading him.

This isn't a player you should be paranoid about.

If you get him, you'll find that out for yourself soon enough.

Old
Eennad142

Quote:
That would be the greatest ending to the Kabs trade era that could be imagined.

Old
Seguins Dragon*

Quote:
LoL...

And according to Leafs fans Joe Colborne goes from no body but some random prospect to a top 5 prospect in the league...

goes both ways

Old
02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
gotmonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eennad142 View Post
That would be the greatest ending to the Kabs trade era that could be imagined.
Rangers for Washingtons Second Rounder, Grachev, Thomas FOR A SIGNED Kaberle?

Old
02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Nope. I would be laughing, and half expect it to be elsewhere.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
If that is the deal, then Toronto fans should be pleased with the return regardless of an extension for Kaberle. Most Bruins fans would be fine with this deal if it means an extension. But if this for a rental version of Kaberle, then this deal would absolutely turn the marketplace for rentals on it's ears, considering Kaberle's NTC and the precedence set for previous rentals.

Kaberle is good, and just what the Bruins need, but he's not Kovalchuk/Hossa good in terms of sacrificing a 1st and top prospect. This would be a pretty major overpayment if there isn't a contract included imo.
I'm a TO fan and would be happy with this deal I like Colbourne and picks are always a great asset. Just hope maybe we can also snag Ian White back.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:37 AM
BadBruins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
A good laugh at overvaluing Knight. Who cares about Knight? Most teams have a couple prospects like him. Colborne may very well be a bust, but if you think Knight is a better top 6 candidate, you're hilarious.
I'd classify Colborne as more of a project than a bust. He's obviously very talented, but I think there are some serious concerns about his ability to translate his game the pros. He was thought of a lot higher at this time last year. He's since been jumped by Caron, Spooner, Sauve, and Knight on the prospect depth chart.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Bruinsfan_37
Stanley Cup Champs

Quote:
Kind of hard considering he has said it's the only place he is willing to waive his NTC to. Either Boston or he remains a Leaf

Old
02-18-2011, 10:41 AM
JeffMangum
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
mirtle James Mirtle
This just in: Tomas Kaberle did something. More to come

02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Liferleafer
Bring on Stome-afin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguins Dragon View Post
LoL...

And according to Leafs fans Joe Colborne goes from no body but some random prospect to a top 5 prospect in the league...

goes both ways
as a Leaf fan i'll say again, if it's Colbourne and a 1st, great deal for us!! Kabs has been great for us, but i think in the long run this deal is a winner fo TO.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:42 AM
Atheris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
mirtle James Mirtle
This just in: Tomas Kaberle did something. More to come
Can we just call it Colborne and a pick (likely not a first) and call it a day? I assume I'm not the only one who can't wait for this to be over.

Of course, July 1st we get to deal with it all over again.

Old
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

If its Colborne and a 1st im very pleased. Im happy we didnt take back useless salary in Wheeler as well.

Closed Thread