HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why did u became Montreal Canadiens Fan??

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2004, 07:28 PM
ifesfor*

vCash: 500
2 WORDS: Patrick Roy

Old
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
Licentia

One day when I was just very young, I saw my dad watching a hockey game. I asked who was playing and he said it was Calgary vs Montreal. They were playing for the Stanley Cup. I asked who he was cheering for and he said Calgary, so I said I would cheer for Montreal. Then I pulled out a penny - which I deemed my lucky penny - and I went downstairs to play. When I came back upstairs later I asked my dad who won. He said Calgary. I said "No they didn't!" He then said, "No, you're right, Montreal won."

Ever since then I've been a Habs fan.

That was of course, 1986.

My dad is a Leafs fan.

Old
06-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Malmsteen44

I enjoyed watching them DESTROY the Washington CRAPITALS in the old Capital Center (Landover, MD) like 8-1. It was like watching men against boys (total domination). I started loving them because I despised the CRAPS. It was beautiful watching Larry Robinson HAMMER Dave Shultz and the Habs were my team. The best renditions of the American and Canadian anthems was done by the late great Roger Doucet (R.I.P). Habs fan for 30 years now and seen a lot good (6 Cups) some bad (trades involving Langway/Engblom/Jarvis/Laughlin for Green & Walter- Sam would never have made that trade), some Horrible (Patty Roy for whomever) that we are just recovering from. Close to life long HABS fan.

Sorry- all over the place, but love my HABS.

Old
07-01-2004, 12:40 AM
J-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwi
Coz the Nordiques went away, so I became a traitor.

Now if the Habs ever move away, I swear I won't become a Leafs fan
Ditto.

Still got a nord fanion on my roomwall and a #88 Sakic jersey.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:15 AM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Because my cousin was watching the habs in 93 and I was watching me too ,I was like 3 years old in 93 since then I am A HUGE FAN of the habs.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Cause in 1993, my dad woke me up while I was sleeping to show me the Stanley Cup at the t.v.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:39 AM
Uber Coca

I was a Habs fan as long as I can remember.

Old
07-01-2004, 02:48 PM
skidboot

because I was born in Toronto.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:53 PM
mcphee

When my Mom made supper, I wanted to have some too, so being a Hab fan ensured that. Growing up in the 60's it was nice to have at least one thing you and your Dad could agree on. I truly envy rocketlives having seen the team that won 5 straight in the 50's. I heard about how Doug Harvey was THE D man until a guy named Orr cam around. Having seen the 60's and 70's teams is a pretty good memory though. One of my earliest Forum memories is seeing Cournoyer with the Jr. Canadiens. Andre Boudrias was his center. A guy named Lemaire came along and I vaguely remember him as the 2nd or 3rd line ctr. on his Jr. team.

Old
07-01-2004, 05:56 PM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
When my Mom made supper, I wanted to have some too, so being a Hab fan ensured that. Growing up in the 60's it was nice to have at least one thing you and your Dad could agree on. I truly envy rocketlives having seen the team that won 5 straight in the 50's. I heard about how Doug Harvey was THE D man until a guy named Orr cam around. Having seen the 60's and 70's teams is a pretty good memory though. One of my earliest Forum memories is seeing Cournoyer with the Jr. Canadiens. Andre Boudrias was his center. A guy named Lemaire came along and I vaguely remember him as the 2nd or 3rd line ctr. on his Jr. team.

WOW, your old!

J/k.

Old
07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
YEMELIN74

Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
geographical convinience...
no really im a fan of habs since i saw them play against calgary in the final in the late 80's
i was around 5 or 6 but i remember lanny mcdonald raising the cup over his head at the old forum

Old
07-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Nova_Scotia_Vees

My name here

I was born and and still live in Halifax..when i was young and hung around rinks the Vee's were the habs farm team..I used to hang out alot at the rink and got to know alot of players very well..Mike Mcphee,Mike Lalor,Steve Penny and alot of others.John Brophy was the coach and a very nice guy he used to let me come in the dressing room and give me sticks and player cards.

Old
07-02-2004, 12:35 AM
Form and Substance

I will never die a non-habs fan. NEver.

Old
07-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Darz

The story is a little foggy, but it was somewhere around '74-'75....when I watched a hockey game. Realizing that one team was the 'Canadiens'..and just finding out I too was a 'Canadian', I assumed that was the team I was to root for. Within a couple years of watching that 70's dynasty team evolve (especially watching Lafleur) I was majorly hooked.

Old
07-02-2004, 09:16 AM
BLONG7

My Dad and I are both major league Hab fans...for me 1970, I was 8 and Ken Dryden made it happen for me without a doubt!(or was it 1971?)anyhow, when my Dad was a kid he got to live through the 5 straight in the late 50's... 20 years later I got to see 6 cups in the seventies...big time dynasties for sure!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:11 AM
perezhoginthebest

Montreal is the city where hockyey is born !!!!!!! Yeahhhhhhh Habs !!!!!!!

Old
07-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
As a kid, most of my family, including me, thought that hockey was a stupid sport: "give them all a hockey puck and they'll stop fighting" we would always say. However, I had this friend that was the biggest Leafs fan ever. Of course, I'd taunt him all the time about how the leafs last cup was in 1967 being the good friend that I am. So anyways, one time he proposed that we make some sort of hockey pool where we would predict which team would win against which team and to what number of games. So after he explained to me how the playoffs worked (that was in grade 10), I picked some teams at complete random. Of course the habs weren't in the playoffs at that time. So anyways, I made all my points on the Colorado Avalanche by pure luck and we split the pool. Of course, I was always watching all the games I could on TV at that time in order to make better predictions and to see if my prediction was coming true. At that time I was a big Colorado fan of course but once the season ended, all there was on TV was habs games so I had to start watching them. Of course my parents did not approve me watching hockey so I watched it even more: that and bleu nuit that often came right after. So even now I still watch hockey.

Old
07-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Corey

I was intrigued by the legendary Maurice Richard and the image of The Flying Frenchmen.

Old
07-04-2004, 07:48 AM
ljg65

Listening to the HABS and leafs on the radio back in the early '50s. The habs excited me more. Still do today.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:15 PM
PeaceNLove

I can't even tell you how I became a Canadien fan. I think it must be in my genes! Apparently I was very young (2? 3?) and would always want to watch the games on TV. I was told it really came from me; I wasn't watching just because somebody else in the house was.

Old
07-05-2004, 05:34 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

I came to Canada in 1994 from Europe from a non-hockey country, used to watch a lot of soccer games thinking that no game in this world comes even close to soccer. I arrived in Quebec (same year the Rangers played the Canucks for the Stanley cup) and I started to watch hockey to replace my beloved soccer. I got hooked and realized that hockey is even more exciting than soccer. When I had to choose my favorite team I went for the HABS and not the Nordiques because simply their jersey was similar to the jersey worn by my favorite soccer team.

Old
07-06-2004, 10:14 AM
GilleZ

I always hated the Habs. I have been a Nords fans for so long, but I moved to Mtl and say my first CH games against the Pens in the playoffs when Theodore took his place in the organisation.

Die Hard Habs Fan since!!!

Nice goal by Benois Brunet!!!

Go Ben Bru!!!

Old
07-08-2004, 10:29 PM
Brisebois

Send a message via AIM to Brisebois
It's sorta been handed down from generation to generation. My grandfather was a Maroons fan and was actually at the longest game ever. He still rants and raves about Mud Bruneteau scoring and how he stayed up til about 3 AM.

My father was always telling me stories about the Canadiens, about the rocket, about Doug Harvey, and about his favourite player, the amidextrous goalie: Bill Durnan. His eyes still light up when he describes the rocket on a breakaway. My entire family are die-hard Canadiens fans, probably because of my parents fanatism reagrding the sport (3 of my 4 grandparents were born and bred in Montreal).

Closed Thread