HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Run for the Playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2011, 12:10 PM
  #101
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,114
vCash: 500
price is our future.i remember last year when on these boards he got ripped daily.it proves that most on here know absolutely nothing about the nhl.ha ha i love it.

haburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 12:21 PM
  #102
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
But if you want to argue and *****, Price's first ASG was not exactly good for him.
Wait. Wasn't he the goalie that let the less GA for that game?

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
  #103
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
Unless you have a crystal ball of some sort, its pretty much all speculation because a lot of thing can happen between now and then.
It's not "all just speculation"...

We have facts and history to go on. Could things change? Sure, things never go exactly as projected. That being said, we can make reasonable evaluations of where we stand today and the prospects we have. I don't see much in the way of reasons to state that we'll be contenders anytime soon.

It was the same as when we added Gomez. Some folks stubbornly clung to the "we have to wait and see" and "it's all speculation on what will happen"... No. We didn't have to do this. We knew what he was all about because we knew his history. There were the silly 'crystal ball' comments back then too. We didn't need a crystal ball, we understand the game and can make reasonable judgements based on the facts that were there at the time. If you didn't see this coming, then you don't know hockey, you're shortsighted or you're just plain a blind fan who can't look at things objectively.

As for our club going forward, we seem to have some bright spots but other clubs have up and coming superstars that we don't. Yes, we might fluke out on the next Wayne Gretzky but right now I don't see him in our lineup or our farm system. If that changes, then I'll re-evaluate what I think our chances are. Right now though? There's nothing to indicate that we're a contender waiting to emerge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
We have alot of young players who could improve, I'm thinking Subban, MaxPac and Webber are pretty sure bets to up their game. Pouliot, AK, DD and Eller are still young, wouldnt bet they'll improve for sure, but nobody knows.
Sure they could improve. Does that look like a future cup winning core to you though? Me neither.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBP81 View Post
So best case scenario is AK and Pouliot gain some kind of consistency. Eller and DD develop as you're 2nd and 3rd centers... Yes all that could easily turn into a worst case scenario. But its a matter of either being optimistic, or pessimistic about it. And there's no way to include facts into this conversation because... Unless you have some sort of crystal ball...
I don't need a crystal ball to tell me that Steve Stamkos is probably going to have a better career than Max Pacioretti.

Again, our best shot at becoming contenders is that Carey Price becomes an absolute superstar but he's not going to have a super core around him based on what I see coming up. I don't need a crystal ball to see this. Other clubs have better cores now and will probably have better cores in the future. I haven't seen much of anything to indicate that we are a powerhouse waiting to emerge and you sitting there throwing out names like Eller, AK and Pouliot does nothing but reinforce this. And this has nothing to do with being pessimistic or optimistic... it has to do with being realistic. Realistically we have some talent that hopefully will pan out and we'll probably be a decent team. Contenders though? There's nothing to suggest that this is going to happen anytime soon.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 03-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
  #104
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's not "all just speculation"...

We have facts and history to go on. Could things change? Sure, things never go exactly as projected. That being said, we can make reasonable evaluations of where we stand today and the prospects we have. I don't see much in the way of reasons to state that we'll be contenders anytime soon.

It was the same as when we added Gomez. Some folks stubbornly clung to the "we have to wait and see" and "it's all speculation on what will happen"... No. We didn't have to do this. We knew what he was all about because we knew his history. There were the silly 'crystal ball' comments back then too. We didn't need a crystal ball, we understand the game and can make reasonable judgements based on the facts that were there at the time. If you didn't see this coming, then you don't know hockey, you're shortsighted or you're just plain a blind fan who can't look at things objectively.

As for our club going forward, we seem to have some bright spots but other clubs have up and coming superstars that we don't. Yes, we might fluke out on the next Wayne Gretzky but right now I don't see him in our lineup or our farm system. If that changes, then I'll re-evaluate what I think our chances are. Right now though? There's nothing to indicate that we're a contender waiting to emerge.

Sure they could improve. Does that look like a future cup winning core to you though? Me neither.

I don't need a crystal ball to tell me that Steve Stamkos is probably going to have a better career than Max Pacioretti.

Again, our best shot at becoming contenders is that Carey Price becomes an absolute superstar but he's not going to have a super core around him based on what I see coming up. I don't need a crystal ball to see this. Other clubs have better cores now and will probably have better cores in the future. I haven't seen much of anything to indicate that we are a powerhouse waiting to emerge and you sitting there throwing out names like Eller, AK and Pouliot does nothing but reinforce this. And this has nothing to do with being pessimistic or optimistic... it has to do with being realistic. Realistically we have some talent that hopefully will pan out and we'll probably be a decent team. Contenders though? There's nothing to suggest that this is going to happen anytime soon.
You really are tiresome with this "tanking" talk. You talk about how "you could see this coming" because you know more than others here but that's all BS. Bottom line, today we are 6th and in the playoffs. Last season ended with our team going to the ECF, pretty exciting stuff.

You just can't let go of the "rebuilding" crap you have been professing for longer than i care to remember. Tampa sucked and got 1st rounders and then won a Cup and then sucked again to get Stamkos. All this in less than a decade. From what I gather you're plan includes sucking and winning in alternating cycles. I'd rather compete with the core I have today and build from there than to blow it all up and start over every 5 years. Good teams add to their teams to maintain their performance level. Like the Wings and Sharks.

Your entire theory fails to explain why perennial contenders like San Jose and Detroit always draft low and succeed. Indeed, statements like "other teams have better cores and will probably have better cores in the future" is speculative and supposition. In fact, it is entirely your opinion. There are many here that think our core is good and the future bright.

Could you imagine any team purposely tanking to draft high and still have fans? Losers lose not teams trying to win. Building a team via high draft picks is a flawed theory...just look at the Islanders. It doesn't always work. Hall and Seguin are far from saviors on their teams. Crosby's and Malkin's are few and far between. Going that route means being terrible for a number of years. Not a path this team is likely to ever tread.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:12 PM
  #105
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post

Your entire theory fails to explain why perennial contenders like San Jose and Detroit always draft low and succeed. Indeed, statements like "other teams have better cores and will probably have better cores in the future" is speculative and supposition. In fact, it is entirely your opinion. There are many here that think our core is good and the future bright.
There is no secret to Detroit's constant success. They draft well, place high emphasis on pro/amateur scouting, and most importantly they develop their players SLOWLY. Take a look at their top players, players who they drafted, and they've all played at least 2 or 3 seasons either in the minors or overseas before playing in the NHL. Then once they get to the NHL, they are brought in slowly.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
  #106
googlymoogly
Registered User
 
googlymoogly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
There is no secret to Detroit's constant success. They draft well, place high emphasis on pro/amateur scouting, and most importantly they develop their players SLOWLY. Take a look at their top players, players who they drafted, and they've all played at least 2 or 3 seasons either in the minors or overseas before playing in the NHL. Then once they get to the NHL, they are brought in slowly.
Sort of like the way Montreal did it all the way to the 80s. Then they lost there touch. Scotty Bowman turned Detroit around, just like Lemaire has done well in Jersey. Teams have studied and built their franchises around the Habs dynasty teams. Why doesn't our management think the same way anymore is the question.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 03:17 PM
  #107
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
There is no secret to Detroit's constant success. They draft well, place high emphasis on pro/amateur scouting, and most importantly they develop their players SLOWLY. Take a look at their top players, players who they drafted, and they've all played at least 2 or 3 seasons either in the minors or overseas before playing in the NHL. Then once they get to the NHL, they are brought in slowly.
Emelin fits this mold but many here have written him off. As a group, we are probably the most impatient fans in the NHL.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
  #108
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
Wait. Wasn't he the goalie that let the less GA for that game?
The least GA, you mean? Yes, if you say it's true then it probably is. But you didn't comprehend what I was talking about. "Good for him" was referring to whether it was good for his career, not whether he played well. Who knows if you were even following the Habs then, but his play fell off a cliff after he went to that game and played injured. It did not recover until this year.

Is it really that difficult to understand that Price is not on the level of the great goalies yet? But I suppose you guys think that Carey is now Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ken Dryden or one of that ilk! He's got a long way to go in his career before one can say that.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 04:55 PM
  #109
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,420
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
The least GA, you mean? Yes, if you say it's true then it probably is. But you didn't comprehend what I was talking about. "Good for him" was referring to whether it was good for his career, not whether he played well. Who knows if you were even following the Habs then, but his play fell off a cliff after he went to that game and played injured. It did not recover until this year.
I did follow the habs at the time. Let's just forget the entire 100th year in its entirely. Our hubris cursed us.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:10 PM
  #110
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
But just think of the incredible joy and common orgasm that will exist on these boards if the Leafs need that last win to make the playoffs, and we deny them!
It will be sweet, sweet revenge. I still believe the lowest I've ever been as a habs fan was the conclusion of the 2007 season. That was a tough pill to swallow.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 05:15 PM
  #111
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,394
vCash: 500
If the following players suffer season ending injuries:

Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, Pronger, Martin St Louis, Stamkos, Chara, Raask / Thomas, Bergeron, Krejci, Kaberle, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Staal


Could we win the cup?? YES!

I Believe!!!

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:37 PM
  #112
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
You really are tiresome with this "tanking" talk.
I haven't mentioned tanking at all. It's not going to happen anytime soon and I haven't mentioned it here at all so don't try to change the topic.

I said that I don't see us being contenders anytime soon with the roster that we have. Then some guy went off and told us that we have AK, Eller etc... Then he claimed that we'd need a crystal ball to know anything.

I'm sorry, but I don't agree with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
You talk about how "you could see this coming" because you know more than others here but that's all BS. Bottom line, today we are 6th and in the playoffs. Last season ended with our team going to the ECF, pretty exciting stuff.
I didn't say I "know more than others". Get your facts straight.

I said anyone could've seen this coming. Most did. You'd have to have been extremely shortsighted not to. And if you didn't then I'd say that you don't know that much about hockey. We signed mediocre players to fill the core of our club. It's not a big mystery as to why we're a mediocre team as a result. Rebuilding or not, it doesn't matter. Bottom line is, when we look at the team going forward, the Montreal Canadiens don't really bring to mind future powerhouse or contender.

Sorry if it upsets you, but when guys start talking about how Eller and AK are going to improve to the point that we're going to be contenders, I'm going to disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
You just can't let go of the "rebuilding" crap...
Speaking of crap, we aren't talking about this here, so I'm not sure why you're making this crappy post. If you don't want to talk about it, don't bring it up. I'm not planning on talking about it.

We're talking about the state of the team. I don't see a contending team there, neither do most people. So quit bringing up things that nobody else is mentioning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
...Your entire theory fails to explain why perennial contenders like San Jose and Detroit always draft low and succeed...
I've gone into this many times. I'm not doing so in this thread. If you want to talk about that stuff, go dig up an old thread. I'm not going over this again in this thread.

Again, you think this team is a contender in waiting, I'm going to disagree with you. And for good reason. I don't think we have the horses to win anytime soon. And I don't think you need a crystal ball to see this.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2011, 06:58 PM
  #113
TiMacMania
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
New to this board. I had big doubts going into this year about our chances to make the playoffs....Even tho we are playing like trash we somehow find ways to win games..

We can't relax even if the playoffs are almost sure because like I said, we are playing like ****.

Go habs go

TiMacMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.