HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

David Legwand and J.P Dumont appreciation thread

Old
02-11-2011, 03:03 PM
SilasAdams

vCash: 500
David Legwand and J.P Dumont appreciation thread

I am a die hard member of pred nation and love coming to these forums just to read other pred fans opinions but there was one thing that has really been bothering me. A lot of pred posters on here give Dumont and Legwand way too much "hate". Aside from maybe Sullivan, These are the 2 guys (imo) that have earned some fan loyalty the most. They are 2 of our 4 best playoff performers having 12 and 13 predator playoff points respectively. (Weber also has 12, Erat has 13). And Legwand has a brilliant post-season last year. Leggy is one the best pure 2 way forwards in the league in my opinion and is also a greak PKer and in defense of Dumonts stats this season, he has been on the fourth line the entire year getting only about 12 minutes of ice time. but anyway i just think these 2 players are part of the heart of the team and i would hate to trade either of them ( all salary cap issues aside.)

SilasAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:21 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

I agree 100 percent about Leggy. Its the one thing that really gets to me on HF. I really do like Dumont I do, he has been one of my favorite players since we got him in 06. But this year he just isnt the same player even with the ice time he has been getting. He the most overpaid Predator IMO and if he was on a 2 mil contract I wouldnt hate as much. But he could show up for the playoffs and maybe this trade will spark him.

I was only 11 when I was at our first home playoff game. But when Leggy scored it was probably the loudest ive heard it. Arnott Radulov 2 goals in 9 secs is a close call though.
Man that game Dumont scored SH was insane. I still cant believe we killed off all that pp time and scored SH.

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:22 PM
dulzhok

Players that "raise" their game in the playoffs are love/hate. It's nice they they play harder in the playoffs when it matters more, but what about the rest of the 82 games when we they give a hot/cold effort?

I'd appreciate them more if they made about 2m less each.

And seriously, a day doesn't go by in this forum without someone talking about how valuable Legwand is to this team and all the intangibles he brings. Not sure how you missed it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:28 PM
glenngineer

I will agree with this thread. While people bash the money issue, I'll say two things, look at our record with and without Legwand in the lineup. That's worth what he's making a year. Secondly, while Dumont may not be putting up numbers, he's being a leader to those young kids he's been playing with all year. He's teaching them how to be a pro, even if things aren't going your way. I'm sure he'd love more ice time but he doesn't go to the press and moan about it, he does what the coach asks him to do and I have a tremendous amount of respect for an athlete that will put his ego aside for the benefit of the team. Wish more guys would do this in all sports.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:34 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I will agree with this thread. While people bash the money issue, I'll say two things, look at our record with and without Legwand in the lineup. .
What is it? And also note the other players that were out at the same time (recently Suter). And also the play of the other 19 players. That stat is like plus/minus, but 5 times worse, because it doesn't take into account the play and health of the other 19 players.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:39 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
What is it? And also note the other players that were out at the same time (recently Suter). And also the play of the other 19 players. That stat is like plus/minus, but 5 times worse, because it doesn't take into account the play and health of the other 19 players.
It's a whole lot better with him in than without him and I'm talking about this year and in years past.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:45 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Agreed. Legwand has always and will always have haters. Just like any player I suppose. Both have been overpaid on these contracts when you look at the production after they were signed. Both are also competitors. Dumont has definitely lost a step (or two), but I have yet to hear either of them complain about how they are being used. They just go out and fill their intended role to the best of their ability. Very professional and classy guys.

p.s. I hope you expected this thread to turn into an argument rather than be strictly for appreciative comments. I have a feeling that's how it'll go.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Legwand does everything well except maybe hit. He puts up good enough offensive numbers for everything else he does. He pks, he can play pp, he is one of the best forecheckers in the league, he is a good set up man, and he has been through it all with this team. He knows the organization in and out and he knows what he has to do to help this team and he does when hes in the lineup. Yes he didnt turn out to be like Vinny Lecavlier, but people gotta forget about that. He does everything a Preds type player should do.
I hope to one day see Legwands number in the rafters at Bridgestone. The franchises first ever pick who is just going to add on to his franchise records. Though they will most likely not be there long, they are now.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:51 PM
glenngineer

Another thing about Legwand, he plays hurt.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
p.s. I hope you expected this thread to turn into an argument rather than be strictly for appreciative comments. I have a feeling that's how it'll go.
When the OP starts the post with argumentative words, sure, the tendacy will be for it go that way.

I actually don't see much Legwand hate here. Some people thinks he doesn't belong a scoringline and are frustated with his ability to produce points. Many people think he's overpaid. But Hate?

Most of the 'hate' is reserved for the people who elude to Lewgand being overpaid or similar, or god-forbid suggest trading him. It's immediately followed by posts degrading their opinion, and often personal attacks.

Old
02-11-2011, 03:53 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
I remember years ago when he broke his collarbone. I just remember seeing him lay on the ice for a second after his collision and he got up finished the game. Then the next day I found out he broke his collarbone on that play. I was amazed

Old
02-11-2011, 04:01 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I bet they had a hell of a time getting him to sit when he took a Weber slapper to the eye socket

Old
02-11-2011, 04:07 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
It's a whole lot better with him in than without him and I'm talking about this year and in years past.
So what you're saying is you don't know what the record is.

I'm curious to know the record. Like I said, I wouldn't put much stock in it because it has 5x more holes than +/-, but I'm curious.

I got no hate for Legwand, just think he's overpaid by about 2 million and played harder in his contract year (and payoffs)-- more willing go in the trenches.

If I'm GM, I'd be willing to pay him 2.5-3m, the very high end of what a good 3rd liner gets. And for a guy that might have some moderate success on a scoringline, but can't be counted on on a scoring-line.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Legwand is the man.

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:11 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
When the OP starts the post with argumentative words, sure, the tendacy will be for it go that way.

I actually don't see much Legwand hate here. Some people thinks he doesn't belong a scoringline and are frustated with his ability to produce points. Many people think he's overpaid. But Hate?

Most of the 'hate' is reserved for the people who elude to Lewgand being overpaid or similar, or god-forbid suggest trading him. It's immediately followed by posts degrading their opinion, and often personal attacks.
really??? i put hate in quotations cause i couldnt think of a better word maybe i shouldve said criticism. i didnt use any argumentative words but whatever but its all good your entitled to your opinion but if you dont appreciate these 2 and you dont see i was just trying to show 2 pred greats some love and not start argument than just stop posting on this thread.

Old
02-11-2011, 04:15 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Look at the work put in by that line.

71-11-25

Only last years playoffs. JP can easily step up to that form again IMO.

Last edited by CantbeatzPekka: 02-11-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: youtube didnt work
CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post

71-11-25

thats why we won that game. best shift of the series for us

Old
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I was only 11 when I was at our first home playoff game. But when Leggy scored it was probably the loudest ive heard it.
I have to agree, the building was louder than any other time I've heard it, it was shaking a lot too, just a fangtastic moment. Can't wait to feel the excitement of a conference or cup finals goal!

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:33 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Legwand earns the praise he gets here but he also earns the criticism too, he can be brilliant at times but does take nights off and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so, and I'm a Legwand fan. I also think he’s overpaid but at the time, we needed to overpay him and Erat that was a PR move more than anything.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I have to agree, the building was louder than any other time I've heard it, it was shaking a lot too, just a fangtastic moment. Can't wait to feel the excitement of a conference or cup finals goal!
It truly was a fangtastic moment... haha I know, I dont even know what its like to have my team win a series so I can only imagine what its like to score a goal in the WCF or SCF

Old
02-11-2011, 04:51 PM
SilasAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goc Ya View Post

71-11-25

exactly.

Old
02-11-2011, 05:10 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Legwand earns the praise he gets here but he also earns the criticism too, he can be brilliant at times but does take nights off and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so, and I'm a Legwand fan. I also think hes overpaid but at the time, we needed to overpay him and Erat that was a PR move more than anything.
Right and right. If Leggy would play consistently at the level he can - and he does in stretches - there'd be a lot less criticism, although I still don't think he'd put up the offensive numbers to "earn" $4.5mil. Those that measure the value that way just aren't going to see how Leggy is worth that contract.

and for sure, at the time we gave them those contracts, Poile didn't have much choice. if we hadn't signed them, what would we have? you'd think we could just go out and sign whomever for the money, but remember what a big deal it was when a "real star" like PK would come here? if you can't keep your own, and you got the whole ownership/small-market thing we've had for so long going on, I would imagine it would be a challenge to get folks to come. Just wish every one of those contracts - JP, Leggy, Erat, and Arnott - had been a little shorter.

But you know what? Giving those guys a little more than they're worth still beats making a signing like DeVries to a contract like we did just to get a Vet (and probably spend enough to make the floor), when a kid could have played almost as well and gotten the experience and been a whole bunch cheaper. THAT is what we'd have run into if we'd not have signed Leggy and Marty.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2011, 05:44 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Legwand earns the praise he gets here but he also earns the criticism too, he can be brilliant at times but does take nights off and you're kidding yourself if you don't think so, and I'm a Legwand fan. I also think hes overpaid but at the time, we needed to overpay him and Erat that was a PR move more than anything.
I agree with this.

It seems like nearly all of my fondest memories in Preds history involve one, or both, of these guys. There are obviously those which don't, but after watching those YT videos posted I started thinking back. They've been involved in some great moments. (couldn't find a youtube video, but Dumont's 3rd period tip in goal to tie up GM 1 of the 07 series versus the Sharks was awesome. Especially his celebration haha)

Old
02-11-2011, 05:50 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Old
02-11-2011, 06:38 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
So what you're saying is you don't know what the record is.

I'm curious to know the record. Like I said, I wouldn't put much stock in it because it has 5x more holes than +/-, but I'm curious.

I got no hate for Legwand, just think he's overpaid by about 2 million and played harder in his contract year (and payoffs)-- more willing go in the trenches.

If I'm GM, I'd be willing to pay him 2.5-3m, the very high end of what a good 3rd liner gets. And for a guy that might have some moderate success on a scoringline, but can't be counted on on a scoring-line.
Come on really? You've been around the boards long enough to have seen this posted by someone by now. I don't have the time to go find this for you and really shouldn't have to either but if you insist and really feel like wasting my time, I can probably find this stat. I'm sure there is someone around here who is more the stat hound who knows where to look. If someone wouldn't mind doing that I'd really appreciate that. If someone hasn't done it by tomorrow I'll go find it for you. Fair enough?