Notices

ATL-BOS Peverley, Valabik for Stuart, Wheeler

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2011, 05:54 PM
Lemon Lover
Forever in Blueland

vCash: 500
Heartbroken we are losing the Pevs Dispenser. But I hated seeing him shy away from hits. We are already way too soft. Sounds like we got 2 gritty players, which we desperately need. As far as Boris, honestly I wished he was given more of a chance. Oh well.

Old
02-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 50
Both Wheeler and Stuart are quality guys.

Stu will stand up for his teammates and is a great #5 defenseman. Also very popluar in the "room" He does do a lot of community stuff. I believe he and Wheels bought a chunk of seats for Vets day for service guys.

Wheels has been working very hard and is still learning and growing. He has been looking good this year.

As a B's fan and STH I am sad to see them go and wish them both all the best.

I hope they can hep your team.

Good Luck to you. Give them a chance.

02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
nycbruins*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Another Bruins fan here. Wheeler should flourish if the reigns are loosened. He has undeniable skill and has 60 points in him,if they would just cut him loose.

Stuart is just very limited offensively,but tough as nails and willing. Thought he could be our Adam Foote but so far he hasn't progressed that far.
Wheeler's reigns have been loosened. He hasn't been a big scorer since high school. He doesn't seem to have the head or the heart to be a great player.

That said, he is a good player already and should improve in the next few years. 20-20-40 with good PK skills and occasional brilliance is a solid player and that's what I believe Wheeler will be for many years.

You'll like Stuart a lot. I'm assuming if he gets more ice time in Atlanta, he'll be a pretty easy re-sign. He is familiar with Ramsay and will probably have an expanded role as a stay-at-home guy for one of the Thrashers' many offensively talented d-men.

Old
02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Well Ramsay already said to expect both guys in the lineup tomorrow. So we'll find out who odd man out will be.

Personally I would love to play everyone and move Byfuglien to the wing. It would bring so much *** grit and size to our already undersized forwards.

My dream:

Ladd-Little-Byfuglien
Kane-Antropov-Wheeler
Stewart-Thorburn-Bergfors
Boulton-Cormier-Stapleton

Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart
Sopel-Oduya

Old
02-18-2011, 08:23 PM
MaximusPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Well Ramsay already said to expect both guys in the lineup tomorrow. So we'll find out who odd man out will be.

Personally I would love to play everyone and move Byfuglien to the wing. It would bring so much *** grit and size to our already undersized forwards.

My dream:

Ladd-Little-Byfuglien
Kane-Antropov-Wheeler

Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart
Sopel-Oduya
That's a nasty line up, i dig

Old
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
lakingshockey

on good authority - Sopel out tomorrow and I assume Stuart in .... now is it a maintenance day for Sopel or????

Old
02-18-2011, 08:45 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakingshockey View Post
on good authority - Sopel out tomorrow and I assume Stuart in .... now is it a maintenance day for Sopel or????
i wish they would scratch Oduya instead

Old
02-18-2011, 10:00 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

I bet Sopes is gone. His wife is posting stuff about trade deadline day and stuff....I bet they already talked to him about moving him somewhere. Vancouver????

Old
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
lakingshockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrasherMinion View Post
I bet Sopes is gone. His wife is posting stuff about trade deadline day and stuff....I bet they already talked to him about moving him somewhere. Vancouver????

I can tell you right now he has no idea if he will be traded or not

Old
02-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Hippie

I read earlier that Boris' skating wasn't very good. How is he at the AHL level? Our baby B's are in a downward spiral right now, will he be able to step in and be serviceable? where do you see him in an AHL defense pairing?

And where was Peverly playing? I seem to recall hearing his name alot in games against him.

Wheeler has good potential upside, and a change in scenery & team philosophies could do him wonders, he can frustrate because you think he should be doing even better, but he is a very good 3 zone player.

Stuart is a very good stay at home defender, physical, team-guy with excellent leadership qualities - captained hi WJC team. Rock solid guy, gym rat. Lost his position after an injury, where a rookie was able to come in, and because of cap issues. We will miss him.

Old
02-19-2011, 02:57 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Ladd-Little-Bergfors
Kane-Antro-Wheeler
Stewart-Cormier-Modin
Machecek-Burmi-Pettersson

Old
02-19-2011, 07:49 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
I read earlier that Boris' skating wasn't very good. How is he at the AHL level? Our baby B's are in a downward spiral right now, will he be able to step in and be serviceable? where do you see him in an AHL defense pairing?

And where was Peverly playing? I seem to recall hearing his name alot in games against him.

Wheeler has good potential upside, and a change in scenery & team philosophies could do him wonders, he can frustrate because you think he should be doing even better, but he is a very good 3 zone player.

Stuart is a very good stay at home defender, physical, team-guy with excellent leadership qualities - captained hi WJC team. Rock solid guy, gym rat. Lost his position after an injury, where a rookie was able to come in, and because of cap issues. We will miss him.
Boris is pretty good at an AHL level, but I seriously doubt he ever cracks your NHL lineup. He's been given every opportunity to make Atlanta's club, but his skating's just not there. He has all the tools to be a great defenseman, except his skating is horrible. I really like the guy on a personal level. He's a hard worker, says all the right things, and he REALLY wants to be successful. Atlanta's put him on waivers three times already this season to try and get him a shot with another club, but nobody bit. I can't help but wonder if Dudley asked for him to be tossed into this trade to get him a change of scenery.

Old
02-19-2011, 08:23 AM
2yotesfans88

vCash: 300
i dont want to invade your board...being a yotes fan. but i also follow the thrashers because there are alot of similarities between the two teams. i like ur group of guys alot. but theres something i want to point out.

you guys have players with great work ethic and are just all round good on and off the ice. IE Kane buff etc.

but wheeler? wheeler was drafted by the coyotes, he refused to sign an entry level contract with us. saying he didnt want play for a small market team. so "he took his talents to" boston. we got an additional draft pick he got a low paying entry level contract with the bruins. during this process he slammed sunbelt teams and phx.

i guess he never heard that at some point he could be traded? but now karma comes around and sends him to a small market team. maybe he will realize he should be thankful just to PLAY hockey for any NHL team. if he takes his attituted with him to ATL maybe big buff should slap the p*ss out of him.

maybe the last few years the kid changed his attitude. maybe not. but either way hes got the talent to be a star. i think most would question his desire.

Old
02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
jazznik
Thrashers forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie View Post

Boris made big strides in his skating before the 09/10 season. I actually mistook him for a different player the first time I saw him that season, and before he got injured he looked like he would have a career as a solid #6 dman, - skating wasn't great but was passable for the NHL.

However, since his injury last season, all the reports now seem to be that his skating is below par (can't comment myself as i haven't seen him since his injury). If he can sort his skating out he'll give himself a chance to be a #6 in the NHL, and if anyone can help him with that and his confidence issues it will be Chara. He should be solid enough in the AHL at least.

Peverley played all over, that's one of his good points, he can play wing or center. He might have played on every line at some point this season. Recently he had been demoted to the 4th line, (his defensive play had got him in Ramsey's doghouse) Before this season he had been one of the Thrashers better defensive forwards so i'm not sure what happened to him this season, just don't think he fit into Ramsey's system to well.

He's a great all round player though, only knock on him is that he's a bit soft. He's got plenty of skill, playmaking ability and a decent wrister . I think he'll do well for Boston.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:33 PM
bb74

My comps on Stuart is Sean O'Donnell. Dependable #5, team guy. When all is said and done I wouldn't be suprized to see him end up playing 800+ games in the NHL

Wheeler is an enigma. He has all the physical attibutes to be a bona-fide top 6 player. B+ skating for his size, B strength, B- agility and lateral movement, B- shot, B passing. He wilted in the playoffs last year and his hockey-sense and anticipation appear average at best. Funny thing is he performs well on the PK and this is why he's an enigma. From the red-line in, he's lacking something.

It may be growing pains, in which case if he ever pulls it all together he could be a 30-50-80 player on a top line with a shooter. I don't think he's got the smarts or heart to get there but even then the 20-20-40 3rd line "big guy" that can eat PK time and play all 3 positions would be his downside in my view.

Stu's brother played for the Thrashers a few year back so there is a link there and I'm pretty sure he's the type of guy Ramsey would like to keep around.

Old
02-19-2011, 04:36 PM
milanforpresident89*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

My dream:

Ladd-Little-Byfuglien
Kane-Antropov-Wheeler

Enstrom-Bogosian
Hainsey-Stuart
Sopel-Oduya
Wheeler is not a 2nd line player IMO. As a b's fan i am happy to see wheeler go, he's a great guy for team chemistry but is very frustrating to watch. Makes alot of stupid plays. I think staurt is the better out of the two, solid shut down top 6 defensmen that will stick up for teamates and drop the gloves occasionally.

Old
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
GahdenRinkRat
Bruins' Den Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanforpresident89 View Post
Wheeler is not a 2nd line player IMO. As a b's fan i am happy to see wheeler go, he's a great guy for team chemistry but is very frustrating to watch. Makes alot of stupid plays. I think staurt is the better out of the two, solid shut down top 6 defensmen that will stick up for teamates and drop the gloves occasionally.
Yet another Bruins fan chiming in. Both guys are great chemistry guys. Stuart is team-first, stand up for his guys D-man, and he's an even better human being than he is a hockey player. Take care of them for us--we'll miss them. I'm very sadly retiring my #45 Black and Gold jersey (I will, however, wear it when Stuart comes back to town)

Old
02-22-2011, 04:12 PM
ThrasherMinion
Just Chucky

And Peverley is not exactly Marc Savard. He has to stop and look before making passes and got into the habit of becoming a black hole with the puck....once it went in, it never came out. He tried too much one-man-showmanship and lost lots of pucks along the boards.

Good luck to him and Valabik, but don't make your new guys out to be head and shoulders better than the guys you gave back. This trade should help both teams as guys will fit into new roles on both teams.

Old
02-22-2011, 04:25 PM
SilverRiver89

vCash: 1365
They put some interviews up on the team site

Stuart: http://video.thrashers.nhl.com/video...d=656&id=99265

Wheeler: http://video.thrashers.nhl.com/video...d=656&id=99276

Old
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
hubby1746

[QUOTE=ThrashersfanSVK;31029064]Wheeler = Peverley
Stuart vs. Valábik - is neccesary to write who's better?

Great trade.QUOTE]

Bruins fan here. I came over here to see how you guys were liking Wheeler and Stuart so far. But I saw this post and had to first say lol, and then say if you think Wheeler=Peverley than you're in for a big surprise. Prepare to be frusturated.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

[QUOTE=hubby1746;31197637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
Wheeler = Peverley

Great trade.QUOTE]

Bruins fan here. I came over here to see how you guys were liking Wheeler and Stuart so far. But I saw this post and had to first say lol, and then say if you think Wheeler=Peverley than you're in for a big surprise. Prepare to be frusturated.
Wheeler's been very good so far. He has a lot of jump so far. I like Stuart's grit a lot. That's only after two games though.

Old
02-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Sabreality

[QUOTE=hubby1746;31197637]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashersfanSVK View Post
Wheeler = Peverley

Great trade.QUOTE]

Wheeler is 23..i know this is HFboards..where players peak at 23, but Peverley really is nothing special, and might even be beyond his peak..Wheeler still has a good amount of upside, and so far so good.

Old
02-24-2011, 03:05 PM
ThrashersfanSVK
@Jakub_Homola

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubby1746 View Post
Please explain what is funny on it. I would even say Wheeler > Peverley. I think you don't know that Peverley is just a 2009 waiver claim. His peak was at the beginning of last season.

Wheeler is a player who fits into the third line such as into the first line. Can I say it about Peverley? No, I can't. He's great offensive player with great wristshot, great fast skating. He's just one dimensional forward.

It's pretty hard to compare this two players but Wheeler is exactly that type of player which we needed. So he's more useful for us right now than Peverley.

Closed Thread