HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Barnaby coming back to Buffalo?

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
Think of it this way, does Buffalo make the playoffs with the 40 Points and +20 Barnaby would have brought to the table over Eric Boulton last year?

With Buffalo taking the Nashville approach, Barnaby is a guy they should sign.

I would have to think a foward is going in a deal to land a dafensemen and I would hope Boulton is in the ECHL.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Takeo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5
We do have a lot of similar (gritty) players already on the team.
This statement shouldn't be overlooked. It is so encouraging to be transitioning away from the same-old softy Sabres. Regier tried to win with skill players, but on a small budget team that's near impossible. This is a much more suitable direction.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:46 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
Think of it this way, does Buffalo make the playoffs with the 40 Points and +20 Barnaby would have brought to the table over Eric Boulton last year?

With Buffalo taking the Nashville approach, Barnaby is a guy they should sign.

I would have to think a foward is going in a deal to land a dafensemen and I would hope Boulton is in the ECHL.
It would have helped, but Boulton should not have been on the ice to begin with. Peters should get all of the "Enforcer" minutes this year. He can't score like Barnaby but he certainly can fight better. I said I wanted to see a Barnaby-Mair-Peters line at the trade deadline last year and got shot down by almost everybody. I still think that or Barnaby-Mair-Bartovic/Pyatt would be exciting to watch and tough to play against, but we'll have to see what that means as far as salary and what other roster moves would happen. Since I think Kotalik is already the odd man out and Boulton will hopefully not be on the roster next season, who else would you move to make an opening for Barnaby? I think if Ales and Eric are gone, one more forward would still have to be moved.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:53 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
This statement shouldn't be overlooked. It is so encouraging to be transitioning away from the same-old softy Sabres. Regier tried to win with skill players, but on a small budget team that's near impossible. This is a much more suitable direction.
Exactly. But I think there needs to be a certain number of skilled players on every team. Having so many "softies" on the blueline was the biggest mistake. Now that our D is much bigger and better defensively while still helping out offensively I think we can afford to have a few "softies" (Satan?,Vanek, Connolly, Afinogenov?) but the rest of the team needs to be able to keep things together and chip in every once and awhile. That's kind of what makes Barnaby so valueable. He works hard, rattles the opponent (which draws penalties) and can still be our 6th or 7th leading scorer.

Old
07-01-2004, 09:58 AM
Moskau

vCash: 67
If Buffalo got rid of Satan all of their problems would be solved.

They would let Dumont or Kotalik slide up to the 1st line.

It would give us the money to resign Briere AND cover the difference between Zhitnik's old contract and what he wants.

Old
07-01-2004, 10:29 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
If Buffalo got rid of Satan all of their problems would be solved.

They would let Dumont or Kotalik slide up to the 1st line.

It would give us the money to resign Briere AND cover the difference between Zhitnik's old contract and what he wants.
I think that's where we are stuck right now. If Vanek signs, you may be able to cover yourself for the loss of Satan. And as much as I like Miro it could make the team a lot better because of the money he free's up and the potential of the return we could receive. I'd actually prefer to see Afinogenov get Satan's first line spot over Kotalik and Dumont is pretty much a first line player for us as it is. Unless of course Vanek takes his spot. I seriously think Kotalik is on his way out unless things drastically change depth wise.

1a. Dumont-Briere-Afinogenov
1b. Hecht-Drury-Grier
3 Roy-Connolly-Paille/Pominville/Bartovic/Pyatt
4 Pyatt-Mair-Peters/Bartovic

Old
07-02-2004, 10:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
And to put this thread to bed: