Thrashers lose at the draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Thrashers lose at the draft

I think DW has lost big time at the draft. The team desparatly need some more offensive prospects in the system so what does he do to address the situation - he drafts 3 defenseman in the first 3 rounds. I don't know much aboout Lewis and Lehman but I can tell you I'm not so high on the first pick - Boris Valabik. I think we have very good defensive d-man and height on d depth in the system and therefore the pick should of be used on a talanted forward such as Tukonen or an offensive d-man such as Thelen. Also Niclas Havelid wasn't the top 4 d-man I had in mind when DW said he was looking to acquire a top 4 d-man on draft day. NOT HAPPY DON! :mad:

P.S. What is it with DW's facsination with big d-man - Manson, Sutton, Coburn, Majesky and now Valabik

Last edited by Peter Sidorkiewicz: 06-26-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Old
06-27-2004, 02:12 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
I think DW has lost big time at the draft. The team desparatly need some more offensive prospects in the system so what does he do to address the situation - he drafts 3 defenseman in the first 3 rounds. I don't know much aboout Lewis and Lehman but I can tell you I'm not so high on the first pick - Boris Valabik. I think we have very good defensive d-man and height on d depth in the system and therefore the pick should of be used on a talanted forward such as Tukonen or an offensive d-man such as Thelen. Also Niclas Havelid wasn't the top 4 d-man I had in mind when DW said he was looking to acquire a top 4 d-man on draft day. NOT HAPPY DON! :mad:

P.S. What is it with DW's facsination with big d-man - Manson, Sutton, Coburn, Majesky and now Valabik
Lewis is an offensive defenseman. If you want to know more about him, try reading his
HF Player Profile.

P. S. Lewis is my "sleeper" pick of the draft (I mentioned this at least twice on the Prospects board) and I'm sticking with him.

Old
06-27-2004, 02:43 AM
f1nn

Send a message via AIM to f1nn
I think DW messed up big time.... Valabik over Tukonen? bad move...

Old
06-27-2004, 07:30 AM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick
Lewis is an offensive defenseman. If you want to know more about him, try reading his
HF Player Profile.

P. S. Lewis is my "sleeper" pick of the draft (I mentioned this at least twice on the Prospects board) and I'm sticking with him.
Thanks for the update.

Now, I feel better about the choice. This sounds like a great choice. I like the size and offensive potential.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:53 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Juraj Gracik is an outstanding pick in the 5th round.
Great scorer with above average size at 6'3, and is one of the youngest players in this draft.

Old
06-27-2004, 10:36 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I would have liked to see more offensive players taken as well. Of course this could mean that DW is more inclined to add F depth via trades and UFA than by the draft right now.

I have no problem with the 1st round pick, or the 2nd rounder for that matter. Both seem like solid choices.

I also like the gargantuan goaltender DW just selected in the 6th.

Old
06-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
Great scorer with above average size at 6'3, and is one of the youngest players in this draft.
Yeah I was quite impressed with that pick too.. Of course I'm only going by what I've read, but all the same he looks like a good choice.

Old
06-27-2004, 08:56 PM
Kitsune

I'll make sure to get a good look at Valabik in his only visit to Sudbury this upcoming season and then I`ll see how good he is, considering the Wolves have a great team in the making for this upcoming season.

Old
06-27-2004, 09:09 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I am sooo jealous that you guys got Valabik, I was literally praying the Sabres would take him at #13, I am suprised ATL. took him so early...........

Old
06-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Safir*

Why not Thelen, why not Tukonen...???? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Old
06-28-2004, 10:45 AM
jofa

Yeah, maybe the draft didn't address Atlanta's immediate needs, but I think Valabik will be an incredible pick for the Trashers. Like Chara, he'll take a little longer to pan out, but he could end up being as good or better than the #3 pick Barker. Plus, Gracik is a good pick in the fifth round, although you have to wonder why so many other teams passed on him.

As for support on offense, I heard a rumour that Conroy may be interested in Atlanta which could be a good fit.

Old
06-28-2004, 11:06 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Valabik is going to be a good player, but picking at #10, Thelen would have made more sense if they were electing to pick based on positioning, while Tukonen was the best player available if they opted to go by that strategy. Not a bad pick... just perhaps not as much as it could have been. I like even Meszaros more than Valabik among defensemen. I can't believe he fell to Ottawa so late.

Old
06-28-2004, 11:16 AM
VAThrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Why not Thelen, why not Tukonen...???? :mad: :mad: :mad:
Maybe Valabik is the better prospect. After picks 1, 2 and maybe 3 it was pretty much a crapshoot. I know there are some posters on the board who have seen a lot of many of the prospects, however, let's face it (I'm as guilty as any one), most of us base our preferences on snippets we read off the net or out of a few publications and maybe a couple video clips.

Due to the nature of the feeder systems, the NHL draft is completely different than any other major league. Scouts have to rate players playing against different levels of competition (elite, A, B, etc.) around the world and compare them to players playing in the wide open QMJHL, the rugged WHL, the OHL or varying levels of collegiate hockey.

Why is it that Tukonen, a RW with 3 goals in 35 games, is so much better a pick as the 5th rated European; or Thelen, the 11th rated NA skater, than Valabik, the 5th rated North American? Why does Blake Wheeler get drafted 5th and Robbie Schremp 25th? Scott Lehman goes 76th as the 87th rated NA, however, Juraj Gracik is available at 142 as the 26th rated European? Because their bio appears earlier in the Hockey News? My point is, they might be better prospects - but they also might not.

If these guys go bust, we can fry Waddell in a few years. For now, it's too early to tell.

Old
06-28-2004, 04:10 PM
WellSeats

Let's wait and see how this years' (and previous years') picks develop. Unless a team has the first pick (and I hope the Thrashers don't EVER pick there again), a team never really knows what it is getting. Once again, VAThrasher, you are the voice of reason!

Old
06-28-2004, 05:32 PM
chriss_co

I expected the Thrashers to draft defencemen

i mean... where's the weakness in your club right now? its quite obvious that its defence

with 2 solid offensive lines and a real top notch goalie prospect, defense is what you guys need

and yea, you have coburn but a good defense is 6 solid guys... i like the pick of valabik.. good upside...

Old
06-28-2004, 06:29 PM
Section119

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriss_co
I expected the Thrashers to draft defencemen

i mean... where's the weakness in your club right now? its quite obvious that its defence

Not only a Thrasher weakness, but defensemen are the most sought after of players. You can never have too many d-men, that is....after we drop Tremblay!

Old
06-29-2004, 09:13 AM
ThrasherB

You can never have too many good defensemen, and you can never have too few bad ones.

Dump Trembles and Tamed.

Old
06-29-2004, 06:00 PM
VAThrasher

Nice post from Dr. Sens(e) on the 'Prospects Board'. Makes me feel even better about Boris.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=82905

Interestingly, I have an acquaintaince who is a scout for the Hawks and I got a chance to ask him about a few players over a beer. He loves Valabik - ranking him 5th overall. Says his upside is at least in the relm of a Chara or D. Hatcher (he's better than Chara was at the same age), and that his downside really isn't that bad. Said his interview was the best of any prospect they spoke too. He had him top 10, but moved him up to #5 after the interview saying he firmly believed the guy has was it takes (in his mind) to improve his game.

He thinks Malkin and Ovechkin are both franchise players - says the Hawks are pissed they missed on them. Said his vote at their recent scouting meeting was Barker, and that's likely who who they'll go for. He spoke highly of Voloshenko, Lisin and Lyamin - has them all very high. Compared Sindel to Havlat, with the same questions Havlat had at the same age - can he handle the physical play.

Wouldn't take Schremp or Radulov high. Thinks Schremp is soft, even though he's a hockey rat. Thinks Radulov is a head case "like his brother" - who the Hawks happen to have right now. Called him a flake and said he hopes someone else takes him "so we don't have to". Said he liked Voleshenko better. Loves the three Fins. Speaking the highest of Korpikoski. Also likes Bolland a lot.

Amongst goalies, he has them ranked Montoya, Shantz, Schwartz, Schneider then Peters. Doesn't think much of Dubynk at all.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:33 PM
KingofSpain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
What a pick!!! He has just been drafted (25th) by Tri-City of WHL in the CHL Import Draft. Any news about if he'll come over for sure?

On a side note: Your draft wasn't that bad. Your first 3 picks add a lot of depth to your D-man ranks. Painchaud and Gracik were 2nd rounders in many mocks, and I believe that Gracik could be the steal of this draft. Turple and Tuomainen were also solid picks.

Old
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
Blatny Spears

The scuttlebut I'm hearing is that he'll probably be moving up to Dukla Trencin of the senior league in Slovakia. I imagine Tri-City knows a lot more about his status than I do and think he might be convinced to come over to the U.S.

Personally, I'd love it if he went to the WHL and got lots of minutes in a North American league rather than get fourth line minutes in a Euro one, even if it is a top pro league.

Old
06-30-2004, 08:43 PM
tonyin318

Juraj Gracik

How does one pronounce Juraj Gracik?

your-aj grash-ik ?

Closed Thread