Mark Stuart & Blake Wheeler appreciation thread

Old
02-18-2011, 09:36 PM
sooshii
SISU

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhalerTurnedBruin55 View Post
Man, still can't believe people hating Wheeler after he's finally gone. Guy picked our organization out of 29 other ones to play here; put effort to improve his game, and put up respectable numbers for a kid 3 years into his NHL career. Hockey sense got him a bad rep, but the kid tried.

Stuart I was hoping would be a Bruin for a long time, it's a shame he never picked his game up to the next notch, or I think he'd still be here. Personally I'd take him over Boychuk THIS season, but who knows what the future holds. Stuart's bro is playing down in Atlanta, so atleast it won't be in completely unfamiliar territory.

It's a numbers game, and these two players were expendable. Wish them luck against everyone else except us.
totally agree. Wish them both well.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Greyhounds

Hope these guys are just what Atlanta needs to push them into the playoffs. They are going to a coach they are familiar with.

Loved that goal Wheels scored in St. Louis. Here's to many more.

And Stuey will keep the opposing forwards honest.

Best of luck guys.

Greyhounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:41 PM
PJ StockBB

really, really liked Stuart. guy has a ton of heart, is a great teammate and i will miss him a lot. Mcquaid helps ease his loss but i will still really miss the guy and his open ice hits and entertaining fights. he is a solid player and i hope he signs out west after this season.

Wheeler i liked too, he was frustrating at times but he is a good player. he is young and very skilled and i think the change of scenery might further help his development. he looked better this year.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

April 2 is the next home game VS the Thrash it should be interesting to say the least.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Hippie

Good Luck boys, I'm certain Ramsey is happy to get you. Thanks for the memories...

Stuart, you were a Bruin in the traditional sense of the word, and I fear that you may be missed in the room and for the quiet leadership you bring, you were a character guy and are an asset any team you play on.

Wheels, you should have a very good career. you have the tools, and I think it will come together for you. I also think that Atlanta could be a better fit for you than Boston was. Thank you for picking Boston when you had other choices.

Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Two good guys who wore the Spoked B with obvious pride. I'll miss them both, and I wish them both the best.

And it's sad people have to disparage someone on an "appreciation" thread. Sheesh.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Janney23

Good luck to both Stuey and Wheels.

Stuey, thank you for embracing what a bruin truly is.

Wheels, thanks for giving your all every night

Janney23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Fat Jughead

Wheeler was starting to do some really good things recently. I know enough now not to get excited about that anymore, and at this point it really doesn't matter what he does...still, I'll be watching more Thrashers games to see how he does. All I know is he better play 6'5" next time he comes back to the Gaaaden

Stu's a great guy and you can't help but feel bad to see em go. It just didn't work out. He'll have a letter on his jersey the next time we see em. Ramsey loves em and so do the B's.

Best of luck to both.

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:28 PM
Sam the Lion
**** the Habs

Wheels is just a solid citizen, and I wish he could have developed soon enough, cheap enough, to preclude today's transaction.
Very impressed with his progression this year. He always said and did the right things - and I still think his future could still be bright. When he caught the puck in stride, in his own zone, it was astonishing how fast he ate up the ice. . . . unfortunately, the end-result was all too predictable. Even with an offensive free rein, he has almost a Paille'esque inability to finish - like his mind is a stride behind his skates. Anyways, I think he bled our colors, and is probably heartbroken.

Stuey is/was prototypical Bruin. Hard working lunchbucket-type, nothing flashy, but solid, he brings everything he has - every shift. Tough as nails, snarly, nasty (clean), and a stand-up guy when push comes to shove. Defensively pretty solid. However, offense is definitely a secondary concern for Stuey.
Favorite Stuart "Jack-moment":
Some semi-middleweight pinhead was throwing some abuse, and bumped into Stuart.
Jack: "Oh, you want some? . . . step into the cave . . ."

Both will be missed by this LF'er . . .
EDIT: If somehow, down the road, Stuey could rejoin the team, I would be wicked happy.

Sam the Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:30 PM
NastyNate17

I'll always have fond memories of both Wheeler and Stuart. I think in this case that this will workout better for each team involved. Hopefully Peverley will make an impact for us this year and be a big contributor for us down the stretch. I wish nothing but the best for Stuart and Wheeler in ATL and wherever else they may end up in the future.

NastyNate17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Causeway
Formerly Monti46

Send a message via AIM to Causeway Send a message via Skype™ to Causeway
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxsterre View Post
Wheels is just a solid citizen, and I wish he could have developed soon enough, cheap enough, to preclude today's transaction.
Very impressed with his progression this year. He always said and did the right things - and I still think his future could still be bright. When he caught the puck in stride, in his own zone, it was astonishing how fast he ate up the ice. . . . unfortunately, the end-result was all too predictable. Even with an offensive free rein, he has almost a Paille'esque inability to finish - like his mind is a stride behind his skates. Anyways, I think he bled our colors, and is probably heartbroken.

Stuey is/was prototypical Bruin. Hard working lunchbucket-type, nothing flashy, but solid, he brings everything he has - every shift. Tough as nails, snarly, nasty (clean), and a stand-up guy when push comes to shove. Defensively pretty solid. However, offense is definitely a secondary concern for Stuey.
Favorite Stuart "Jack-moment":
Some semi-middleweight pinhead was throwing some abuse, and bumped into Stuart.
Jack: "Oh, you want some? . . . step into the cave . . ."

Both will be missed by this LF'er . . .
Couldn't have summed it up any better. I read somewhere earlier that Wheeler and Stuart were broken the news playing soccer with the rest of the team. Who knows, he clearly loved this organization and city maybe we'll see atleast one of them back before the end of their careers.

Causeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:38 PM
jmon13

I wouldnt mind stuart back next year if we happen to have an open spot on D.

jmon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2011, 11:59 PM
masterquan14

thanks stuey,i miss seeing him in the black and gold,true bruin...wheeler well i wont miss your play for the most part,but best of luck to them both

masterquan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:25 AM
microbrien
Pastafarian

Send a message via AIM to microbrien
Stuart and Wheeler were both personal favorites of mine, and I'll miss them both a ton. Today was both heartbreaking and exciting.

microbrien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 07:41 AM
bbfan1972
Repeat

Thank you Stuey and Wheels for your time here.

The only thing I don't like about Wheeler getting traded, is that he did everything that management asked of him. As someone posted earlier, Wheels worked his a$$ off every night and Horton still gets a pass.

Anyway, I'm gonna miss both players.

bbfan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 07:50 AM
Frankie Spankie

I love Stuart, wish him all the best. I really am going to miss him.

Wheeler really proved me wrong this year, he definitely upped his game this season but there was a bit of a logjam up front. Wish him all the best.

Frankie Spankie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:13 AM
Savynquick*

good luck to both, don't miss either

Savynquick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 08:18 AM
KrugLife
Registered Champion

just want to add that I thought Wheeler and Seguin were working pretty good together lately

KrugLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:47 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
One year to almost the day Blake Wheeler has become a force. No longer trying to recreate himself he has adopted the bleep it- go out and skate and make a play attitude.

Back to back first stars- second star overall for the week- Blake has more points in a week than it seems the Bruins players combined have this month.

He looked frustrated and like toast- due for a change those final days, and the trade worked out GREAT for Boston and I would not redo a thing.

No revisionist history just amazing to see how fast and good he has become. In the NHL version of the Zoo, Blake realized what type of an animal he is, and that is pretty good- makes watching the Jets games much more interesting.

I'd have to think he is in a better place even if deep down he wishes this was happening here (like my kid one of the biggest Blake fans still thinks he'd love nothing more than to be doing this in Boston)

No hate from me- guys fun to watch- so what if he can't fight, there's more to a zoo than tigers and bears.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Trap Jesus

I'll always like Stuart.

Wheeler, on the other hand... He was my whipping boy when he was here and I hate him even more now. Where was this play in Boston? The guy had next to no physical play here and now all of a sudden he revolutionizes his game? He had no playmaking ability whatsoever and terrible hockey sense and now he's leading the Jets in assists? Warning flags went up with the Phoenix situation for me. The guy's a fraud. /rant

But I aint even mad. Peverely is easily one of my favourite Bruins. I'd definitely do that trade over again, even if we didn't win the Cup.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 12:55 PM
misterjaggers

Shortly after the deal went down, Rick Dudley was interviewed and said among other things that Chiarelli didn't want to include Wheeler in the deal for Peverley. That was Dudley's idea.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:22 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Wheeler had every chance in the world to pull it together in Boston, but he never did. Cried his way out of Phoenix, then shown the door from Boston. Might have been just the kick in the ass he needed... Stuart, I still miss. Guy bled black and gold. Would be nice to have him back in Corvo's slot.

All that said, Peverley helped us win a CUP. I don't take the trade back for anything.

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 01:33 PM
trenton1
Paille Good

He looked good the other night and good for him but there's not a lot of pressure on the Jets right now. The Fans are euphoric and upbeat just to have the team. The Jets aren't even expected to even make the playoffs. There will be no backlash if they finish 9th or 10th.

I think this lack of pressure but positive and fervent atmosphere makes for the perfect situation for a guy like Wheeler to thrive in. Wouldn't happen in Boston because there's severe backlash during slumps--even on the heels of a Stanley Cup. Probably wouldn't happen in Atlanta or Phoenix because the building is half empty.

trenton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 02:45 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler SeQuin View Post
Wheeler had every chance in the world to pull it together in Boston, but he never did. Cried his way out of Phoenix, then shown the door from Boston. Might have been just the kick in the ass he needed... Stuart, I still miss. Guy bled black and gold. Would be nice to have him back in Corvo's slot.

All that said, Peverley helped us win a CUP. I don't take the trade back for anything.
It's easier to say the bolded part now, when it's been shown that Corvo is only a 6th d-man on this team. But when the B's brought him aboard, it was to kick-start the offense & PP ... two things that aren't part of Stuart's game by any stretch of the imagination.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 04:50 PM
RaybCamn

Stuart hard nosed player but he got hurt a bit to much for my liking. Despite the short comings of Blake Wheeler I thought he was worth the money , and put up points. I didnt think is was good trade.

RaybCamn is offline   Reply With Quote