HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar - Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
02-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Iceonfire

vCash: 500
Even if Lazar had a career similar to Helm, I don't think his team would complain.

A responsible 2-way center with top 6 upside is great. And he seems to be one of the safer bets to make the NHL.

Iceonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Even if Lazar had a career similar to Helm, I don't think his team would complain.

A responsible 2-way center with top 6 upside is great. And he seems to be one of the safer bets to make the NHL.
His shot is so much better, though. He's like all of these speedy checking centers that are brought up, but with that excellent shot. Also, he's got damn good hockey sense in the offensive zone, in terms of positioning. He knows where to be. That's why I like the Fisher comparison best. Mike Fisher is a typical third line grinding forward, except he's much more effective at scoring goals than most of those guys. As a result he plays in the top six and gets the benefit of top six line mates which only further boosts his offensive output.

Given that I'm a Phoenix fans, who's team desperately lacks a top end center, I'd stick take Lazar very early in the first. He's got chemistry with Samuelsson and is a perfect Dave Tippett player. If I were picking seventh, I'd trade down to twelve and pick Lazar right there. Off the board probably, but I'd do it. Then I'd package up my 2nds and try to move up for my other favorite in this draft, Ryan Hartman.

Last edited by rt: 02-06-2013 at 09:00 AM.
rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
His shot is so much better, though. He's like all of these speedy checking centers that are brought up, but with that excellent shot. Also, he's got damn good hockey sense in the offensive zone, in terms of positioning. He knows where to be. That's why I like the Fisher comparison best. Mike Fisher is a typical third line grinding forward, except he's much more effective at scoring goals than most of those guys. As a result he plays in the top six and gets the benefit of top six line mates which only further boosts his offensive output.

Given that I'm a Phoenix fans, who's team desperately lacks a top end center, I'd stick take Lazar very early in the first. He's got chemistry with Samuelsson and is a perfect Dave Tippett player. If I were picking seventh, I'd trade down to twelve and pick Lazar right there. Off the board probably, but I'd do it. Then I'd package up my 2nds and try to move up for my other favorite in this draft, Ryan Hartman.
This. Although a lot of scouting services have Lazar ranked in the 20-25 range. I could still see him going top 10 simply because goal scoring trumps everything, and this kid can score goals, while still being one of your fastest skaters.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
odessa
Ima Firen Mah Lazar

Quote:

Hartman - Lazar - Samuelsson

Really tough line!

odessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Cujomi
De Leeuw Ziel

I think Ottawa will be in a good position to draft Lazar.

Zibanejad - Lazar - Stone

Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa View Post
Hartman - Lazar - Samuelsson

Really tough line!
Only question is if it's a second line or a third line.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:11 PM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
This. Although a lot of scouting services have Lazar ranked in the 20-25 range. I could still see him going top 10 simply because goal scoring trumps everything, and this kid can score goals, while still being one of your fastest skaters.
Yeah, it just takes one team to be enamored with him and he will be picked much higher than where the rankings have him.

untouchable21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:41 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I wasn't comparing draft position.

I was comparing where button had them ranked, just to be clear.

The improvement in skating for Samuelsson has been drastic, but it's still a significant weakness. Not one that can't be fixed though.
No it really isnt.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
No it really isnt.
Yeah it is. It will be an issue for him , at least initally.

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:11 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
Yeah it is. It will be an issue for him , at least initally.
I don't think it was ever an issue, personally. How many goals are scored on the rush in the NHL these days? He's got the frame, the grit, and the know how to put himself in the spots where goals are scored.

Old
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I don't think it was ever an issue, personally. How many goals are scored on the rush in the NHL these days? He's got the frame, the grit, and the know how to put himself in the spots where goals are scored.
Skating isn't only evident on the rush though, 3 quick accelerated strides allows players to peel off the boards into the middle of the ice, close down space on the back check, close down shooting lanes while PKing.

Samuelsson looks much more fleet this year in the WHL against boys, I still think his skating will cause him slight troubles at the next level.

He's fairly tall though, so putting on strength in the legs and core, as well as working on stride length and acceleration shouldn't limit him too badly. It quite drastic the improvement from this year to last (not nearly as 'clunky').

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Oh my. So a guys skating doesnt matter now?
Jonathan Cheechoo anyone?

Old
02-07-2013, 10:31 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Complete utter domination reaching ten straight games. Remember this is junior hockey where they play back-to-back (to-back) nights with long road trips.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 11:36 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

I am not really a Samuelsson fan, but his skating is not bad. I would say its pretty average to be honest, picture Jamie McGinn. Could he be faster? Most definitely, but he isn't like Jason Allison out there staying in the neutral zone waiting for the puck to get a head start bad.

Old
02-08-2013, 12:05 AM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
if Detroit got him i could see a future 3rd line of
Athanasiou-Helm-Lazar
talk about a fast line

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 12:07 AM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I am not really a Samuelsson fan, but his skating is not bad. I would say its pretty average to be honest, picture Jamie McGinn. Could he be faster? Most definitely, but he isn't like Jason Allison out there staying in the neutral zone waiting for the puck to get a head start bad.
Pretty average (which I dont agree that it is) at the Dub level isnt that good in the Show. Hes not slow right now cause hes so relativly strong that he gets there well enough. I just think his skating will be an issue as he moves up the food chain (he skates kinda clunky). Im not saying he wont get better at it, or he cant overcome it (it happens often) but its a weakness of his. I recall people saying saying they saw Schremp in the O & they didnt think it was an issue. You see him in the NHL & he was HORRIBLE as a skater. Its not the same but you get my point.
And of course its just an opinion, and not a unique one.
All that been said, if he overcomes it or if at the end of the day its really not an issue, I expect he will be a very good pro.

Old
02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
With 2 more goals tonight, Lazar is up to 29.

10 goals and 2 assists in his last 11 games.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
With 2 more goals tonight, Lazar is up to 29.

10 goals and 2 assists in his last 11 games.
Yeah. Hes really come on. Great skater. Wonderful head for the game. If a kid like Sameulesson could skate like him he'd be a gimmee

Old
02-18-2013, 10:30 PM
arsmaster

His disappointing season continues....another two goal effort today.

Up to 32 now.

I don't understand why people continue to knock this kid.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:32 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:

Up to 32 now.

Ignorance is bliss.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 10:55 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:

Up to 32 now.

It's easy to tell which people have seen this kid play and which people are blowing fire out of their ***.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:16 PM
Madic

Who are his wingers these days, or does it get shuffled around a lot?

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madic View Post
Who are his wingers these days, or does it get shuffled around a lot?
Actually he has been used as a winger in the majority of the games I have watched. Can play both the wing and centre when a team needs him, but I prefer him as a centre.

Old
02-18-2013, 11:37 PM
Shanahanigans

I don't want people to find out about him...I want the Oilers to draft him hopefully somewhere between picks 10-20.

TBH, I see a Mike Richards upside and a Mike Fisher downside...pretty safe pick.

Shanahanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2013, 11:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
I don't want people to find out about him...I want the Oilers to draft him hopefully somewhere between picks 10-20.

TBH, I see a Mike Richards upside and a Mike Fisher downside...pretty safe pick.
I think Fisher is more like his upside, it's just that he's an exceptionally safe bet to come at least very close to realizing that potential. There will be many guys with better upside taken after him in the draft. I'm betting an extremely small number end up better NHL players. You are typically only going to find fifteen-ish 20 goal scorers in each draft (give or take maybe five). I really like his chances of cracking that barrier at the NHL level.

Last edited by rt: 02-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.