HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Curtis Lazar (2013, 17th overall, Ottawa)

Old
05-23-2013, 12:02 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
In the admittedly limited viewings of Lazar, I always got more of a Ryan Callahan vibe.
I like that comparison as well. It seems the theme of these "comparisons" is that he is a physical, well rounded player.

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best

vCash: 50
I'm not sure if he falls past #15. I would have to assume the Isles have seen a lot of Lazar in the past year or so, and it wouldn't shock me if he is one of their guys.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 02:19 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

I've seen a few Oil Kings games and i would compare Lazar to Dustin Brown. Same size, stature, and similar style of play.

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 03:44 PM
17Kurri

To me, he's almost exactly like Owen Nolan, with some less offense and some more defense than Nolan. In terms of what he has to work with and how he plays the game, it's eerily similar to Nolan, imo.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
416Leafer

I wish the Leafs were picking a little higher. This guy looks like a stud. The type of guy you can play in absolutely any situation. PK, PP, ES in a scoring or a shutdown role, last minute of the game to try and score or to try and prevent the other team from scoring.

Offensive ceiling may not be as high as some other guys, but he looks like the type of guy you win with.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Anardil

If he somehow falls to the Habs pick, I sure as hell hope that they do the "Costanza FIRE!"* run up to the stage and call his name. He is exactly the type of forward the the Habs are missing.

*Seinfeld reference.

Anardil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:21 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

This years Steve Bernier

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 09:30 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I wish the Leafs were picking a little higher. This guy looks like a stud. The type of guy you can play in absolutely any situation. PK, PP, ES in a scoring or a shutdown role, last minute of the game to try and score or to try and prevent the other team from scoring.

Offensive ceiling may not be as high as some other guys, but he looks like the type of guy you win with.
Thing I like about him is they say he is strong on faceoffs. That is big when you up or down a goal with 1 minute remaining(ie you can put out a good player who can play in that situation who has a good shot of winning the faceoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
This years Steve Bernier
I think you are thinking of Anthony Mantha

Last edited by boredmale: 05-28-2013 at 10:43 AM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 10:42 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Thing I like about him is they say he is strong on faceoffs. That is big when you up or down a goal with 1 minute remaining(ie you can put out a good player who can play in that situation who has a good shot of winning the faceoff)
Lazar was very good in important draws versus Portland, especially in the defensive zone.

bsmith14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:32 AM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
This years Steve Bernier
What? This is so far off Its pretty funny. Lazar to me has 30 goal potential with the right line mates and can do other things as well besides scoring, like playing defense, winning draws, playing on the PP, and playing on the PK.

S E P H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Lazar reminds me more of Kesler every time I see him. The way he likes to back the D up with his speed off the rush, cut to the middle and use his great wrist shot is very similar to what Kesler loves to do.

Intensity, 200 ft game, winning draws, blocking shots on the PK. Different body type (shorter and stockier) and personality though.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:11 PM
puckfan13

Richards/Kesler are way better stickhandlers and playmakers than Lazar will ever be. Lazar is Dustin Brown straight up, he is a straightforward what you see is what you get kind of player. His passing and playmaking are actually sort of notably below-average for a first round prospect, but he's fast as hell, a great forechecker, a bull on skates with a hard shot and loves taking it to the net.

If Lazar literally completely busts he's still a 4th line NHL player but I think he has 20-30 goal/50-60 pt potential. He's actually really good on faceoffs too but I think his game seems overall more suited to the wing unless he's playing with a playmaking winger. He really uses his speed to let himself be really good defensively too but the stickhandling/passing thing makes me think he is better on the wing at the NHL level. If he's going to play centre it's going to be as a Dave Bolland type player - the Kesler/Richards comparisons are too exaggerated for me personally, but I know others have different opinions. If you can get a Bolland/Brown from 20-30 or even 15-30 that is a great pick, I think people stretch his upside a little but to each his own.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 04:42 PM
I am the Liquor
Nelson got screwed

vCash: 1271
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Richards/Kesler are way better stickhandlers and playmakers than Lazar will ever be. Lazar is Dustin Brown straight up, he is a straightforward what you see is what you get kind of player. His passing and playmaking are actually sort of notably below-average for a first round prospect, but he's fast as hell, a great forechecker, a bull on skates with a hard shot and loves taking it to the net.

If Lazar literally completely busts he's still a 4th line NHL player but I think he has 20-30 goal/50-60 pt potential. He's actually really good on faceoffs too but I think his game seems overall more suited to the wing unless he's playing with a playmaking winger. He really uses his speed to let himself be really good defensively too but the stickhandling/passing thing makes me think he is better on the wing at the NHL level. If he's going to play centre it's going to be as a Dave Bolland type player - the Kesler/Richards comparisons are too exaggerated for me personally, but I know others have different opinions. If you can get a Bolland/Brown from 20-30 or even 15-30 that is a great pick, I think people stretch his upside a little but to each his own.
When I think of great stickhandlers, Ryan Kesler doesnt come to mind. A guy who wasnt even drafted as an 18yr old.

Lazar isnt a puck handling wizard by any means, which I guess is what you were going for.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:08 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
When I think of great stickhandlers, Ryan Kesler doesnt come to mind. A guy who wasnt even drafted as an 18yr old.

Lazar isnt a puck handling wizard by any means, which I guess is what you were going for.
Yeah, actually I'll buy Kesler as Lazar's high-end upside if a lot of development goes right. But yeah, you get what what I'm saying with the stickhandling thing though.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2013, 07:22 PM
Genghis Keon

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Kesler didn't declare for the draft at 18 because it would have made him ineligible to play NCAA hockey. Before 2003, players drafted into the NHL before playing in the NCAA were ineligible for the NCAA. So if Kesler declared for the draft in 2002 and was drafted, he wouldn't have been able to play college hockey. The NCAA changed its rule in 2003, which is why Ryan Suter, for example, was able to declare for the draft before playing college hockey without losing his eligibility.

I'm not sure if it's the same under the current CBA, but under past CBAs, players had to declare for the draft in their first year of eligibility (their 18 year old year). You were then automatically entered in the draft (or at least eligible to be picked) at 19.

Genghis Keon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Seems to profile similar to Landon Ferraro.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 12:52 PM
PumpkinBomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Isn't landon slow?

Having seen him play in red deer, i wouldn't say their game is anything at all similar.

Lazar has one of the best shots in the draft class. (reminds me of Pat Kane's shot in both release and power)

Probably in the top 3 or 4 in speed. He doesn't get a ton of assists but a lot of sammuellson's points were because Lazar would be rushing hard to the net, backing off the D and creating space for his teammates.

It's hard to say about his playmaking ability and his stickhandling because of his speed. If he played at the speed of Richards i suspect his skills would be comparable.

At the speed lazar plays at there are about 10 players in the league that can play a skilled game at that speed. Lazar can't, but it's not technically a knock against him.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:28 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Dustin Brown as a centre? That'd be great. Sign me up.

Won't drop to 21 though

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 01:57 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
No, not really similar.

R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 02:25 PM
seafoam
Pedestrian at Best

I saw his Hockey'sFuture interview and Curtis was all smiles. He may not be the best player to come out of this draft, but I think the team that selects him will be very happy with this pick.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Isn't landon slow?.
He won fastest skater at the top prospects skills competition. Far from slow.

GoBoltz56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Isn't landon slow?

Having seen him play in red deer, i wouldn't say their game is anything at all similar.

Lazar has one of the best shots in the draft class. (reminds me of Pat Kane's shot in both release and power)

Probably in the top 3 or 4 in speed. He doesn't get a ton of assists but a lot of sammuellson's points were because Lazar would be rushing hard to the net, backing off the D and creating space for his teammates.

It's hard to say about his playmaking ability and his stickhandling because of his speed. If he played at the speed of Richards i suspect his skills would be comparable.

At the speed lazar plays at there are about 10 players in the league that can play a skilled game at that speed. Lazar can't, but it's not technically a knock against him.
I've never seen Lazar play, but just by looking at his stats and reading up his game, Landon Ferraro's 2009 draft year came to mind.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:42 PM
Lacaar

I'm not scout or Junior hockey guru but I do attend a few Oil Kings games each year.

I admittedly have a hockey crush on Lazar.

To me he's just the kind of player that helps teams in pretty much every aspect.
Fast, Fearless, does pretty much whatever the coach tells him too in order to help his team win.

I believe this ended up hurting his draft position overall.

I wouldn't shed tears if the Oilers picked him.

Lacaar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1937
Quote:
I've never seen Lazar play, but just by looking at his stats and reading up his game, Landon Ferraro's 2009 draft year came to mind.
Well, hit the bricks then.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Brewster

He'll be an awesome pick at #9 - #15. Still hope the Oilers find a way to pick him in that range.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote