HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Where does Osgood go?

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2004, 06:57 PM
MBJets

vCash: 500
Where does Osgood go?

Now that the Blues pick up Lamine where does Osgood end up playing and what role?

Old
06-29-2004, 07:03 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJets
Now that the Blues pick up Lamine where does Osgood end up playing and what role?
He might end up in a similar scenario as Potvin. Someone takes a chance that he can be a starter still and for a cheap salary, but then he ends up losing the job and playing as a backup. Just a wild prediction.

Old
06-29-2004, 07:03 PM
neelynugs

maybe the rangers
they could use another crappy goaltender

Old
06-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
maybe the rangers
Osgood had a good year. The rest of the team let him down and he is the fall guy....

NYR - he would help Blackburn as a mentor until the kid can take over. What is the deal w/ the 'Canes and Weekes?

Old
06-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
What is the deal w/ the 'Canes and Weekes?
The deal is just that - Weekes will probably be dealt, meaning that perhaps Gerber takes over as the starting goalie.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:13 PM
X8oD

Detroit of the WHA.

After which he makes a statement which follows in line with his others when joining a new team.

"Derek King is by Far the best defensemen I have ever played behind"

[after leaving Detroit to NYI, he said Roman Hamrlik was the best hes ever played behind. And after leaving NYI to STL he said Pronger was the best.... Ignoring that he played with Nik Lidstrom]

Old
06-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Flamin Homer

I say he may have a chance at one of the following teams:

Los Angeles- Roman Check"my save % at the door" is never going to carry the full load for the kings.

Atlanta- Waddell has some $$$ and Osgood is an upgrade IMO

Vancouver- Do they really think Cloutier is the man?

Philly- They are ALWAYS looking for a goalie

Edmonton- Conklin???? Come on this guy is a back up!

Toronto- Everyone's lifelong dream is to play with the Leafs

Boston- If Potvin leaves then Osgood could be his replacement

Old
06-29-2004, 08:36 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Homer

Los Angeles- Roman Check"my save % at the door" is never going to carry the full load for the kings.

You present some valid points here, but I doubt that Philly is looking for a goalie after Esche took them to the conference finals. I believe they re-signed Burke too, so I don't even think that they need a backup. The Canucks might need a goalie, but it really all depends on what happens with Cloutier. If he stays, then they don't really need Osgood, but if he leaves, then perhaps we'd look at him as a replacement (though I wouldn't count on it). The Bruins have Raycroft, and I doubt that Osgood signs where he'd be virtually guaranteed to be a backup. Atlanta is a possibility, but they already have somewhat of a glut in goal and are committed to Lehtonen. I think Los Angeles will go with Garon and Cechmanek, seeing as no one wants Cechmanek and adding Osgood would only give them a goaltending mess to deal with.

The Leafs definitely could if Belfour is gone. The Oilers might be interested, but I guess it depends on how well they think Conklin can do, and what amount of $$$ Osgood wants.

There are a lot of possible scenarios just because there is so much uncertainty this summer, but I don't know how much demand there will be to get him. It's a pretty flooded goalie market right now.

Old
06-29-2004, 08:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin Homer

Thanks for the return trip from 2006, McFly. Tell us if we have a lockout. Check the save % during the middle of the season when Palffy got hurt when he kept the Kings in the playoff hunt by himself. Maybe he should be checking his groin at the door?

And even if you're right, ever hear of Mathieu Garon?

Quote:
Well Nurminen proved he can be a capable starter, and Osgood will want more to essentialy be the warm up act for Kari Lehtonen

Quote:
Is Osgood by far and away better, knowing that there might not be a suitor for another guy you're paying starter's money?

Quote:
Because we all know Robert Esche was the reason the Flyers lost to Tampa Bay, and had a subpar season, regardless of the capable backup he had as well

Quote:
Which is why they traded Salo, so they can sign another starter and have the same problem they just had...

Quote:
You got something here, and that's only if Belfour leaves, and once again, Osgood wants to be a warm up act to Mikael Tellqvist

Quote:
at least in Toronto he isn't the warm up act as a backup (for Toivanen). Is a possibility, but he isn't going to sign somewhere he knows he will start the season as a backup unless he has to

Old
06-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
You present some valid points here, but I doubt that Philly is looking for a goalie after Esche took them to the conference finals. I believe they re-signed Burke too, so I don't even think that they need a backup
Good point.

Don't forget Niitymaki. He is possibly better than both right now. Should have played in the last playoffs when Esche was bothered by an injury, IMO.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:09 PM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
Good point.

Don't forget Niitymaki. He is possibly better than both right now. Should have played in the last playoffs when Esche was bothered by an injury, IMO.
I have to disagree here Vlad. While Antero played admirably in his few games with the Flyers, he was not ready for the big show. He did a great job stopping the first shots, but left many big, juicy rebounds in the slot. In the playoffs, everything is magnified 1000X more than the regular season, and he would have been eaten alive. He needs a full NHL season under his belt before you even consider him in the playoffs.

And I don't think that Esche's hp affected his play during the playoffs. The bad goal he gave up in the TB series was a floated over his glove, not low which would have involved his hip.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:11 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
I have to disagree here Vlad. While Antero played admirably in his few games with the Flyers, he was not ready for the big show. He did a great job stopping the first shots, but left many big, juicy rebounds in the slot. In the playoffs, everything is magnified 1000X more than the regular season, and he would have been eaten alive. He needs a full NHL season under his belt before you even consider him in the playoffs.

And I don't think that Esche's hp affected his play during the playoffs. The bad goal he gave up in the TB series was a floated over his glove, not low which would have involved his hip.
I disagree. His rebound control was no worse than Esche's can be on a nightly basis. I'm not saying he should have played in the playoffs, but he didn't look out of place in the NHL at all.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:12 PM
guinness
those were the days

St. Louis; Lalime isn't the answer, the goaltending wasn't the problem, it's the non-performing players, injuries, and the GM that are at fault. I say they eat his salary like the Wings did with Cujo.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:18 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Cloutier is better than Osgood, plus cheaper, and just entering his prime, so Vancouver wouldn't be interested in him.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:31 PM
guinness
those were the days

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad
Cloutier is better than Osgood, plus cheaper, and just entering his prime, so Vancouver wouldn't be interested in him.
They had almost identical stats last season, and Ozzie faced more shots, with a hair of a lower GAA.

Old
06-29-2004, 10:34 PM
capman29

[QUOTE=Frenzy1]Osgood had a good year. The rest of the team let him down and he is the fall guy....

Right he was great best ever never let in soft goals.If he is what you believe fire the rest of the team.

Old
06-30-2004, 08:02 AM
Timmy1973

I think St. Louis had a good year. However, no MacInnis, no Jackman, take two of the top three defenseman off your favorite roster for the better part of the year plus playoffs and see how well you do. Osgood is still a good, servicable goalie who I hope gets a chance somewhere.

Old
06-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Frenzy1

[QUOTE=capman29]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Osgood had a good year. The rest of the team let him down and he is the fall guy....

Right he was great best ever never let in soft goals.If he is what you believe fire the rest of the team.
His stats put him at about 14th in the league. Not elite but not bad. My quess is that you never/rairly saw him play. Again, he had a good year.

BTW. Even Martin B. lets in the occasional soft goal.

Old
06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Why would he leave St. Louis???

Lalime is a 1a/b and Osgood is a 1a/b. Blues don't have a number one, so why not take two so-so goalies? Osgood won't cost much either since goalies are a dime a dozen and cause supply and demand should come into play soon.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:29 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi

Lalime is a 1a/b and Osgood is a 1a/b. Blues don't have a number one, so why not take two so-so goalies? Osgood won't cost much either since goalies are a dime a dozen and cause supply and demand should come into play soon.
The option year on the contract was for 3.5. Too much for the Blue w/ Lalime at 2.5.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:49 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
St. Louis; Lalime isn't the answer, the goaltending wasn't the problem, it's the non-performing players, injuries, and the GM that are at fault. I say they eat his salary like the Wings did with Cujo.
Eat his salary? There's no salary for the Blues to eat. You seem confused on the basic facts of the situation. The Blues are not under any contractual obligation to Chris Osgood.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
maybe the rangers
How about Boston?

Especially after watching Andrew Raycroft choke away the Montreal series

He was afraid of the puck

Old
06-30-2004, 12:54 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi

He has NO CHOICE as to whether he stays in St.Louis or not. The Blues hold the option on Osgood and will NOT pick it up. Pretty much ends that discussion.

Old
06-30-2004, 12:56 PM
guitaraholic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
How about Boston?

Especially after watching Andrew Raycroft choke away the Montreal series

He was afraid of the puck
Not to interject but honestly New York Rangers fans are in no position to talk smack about any other team in the NHL.. at all. You can attempt to take shots at Raycroft all you want but let's get a few things straight:

1. Boston is/was a MUCH better team than the Rags and they did it on a lower payroll.

2. Raycroft is MUCH better than ANY goalie on the Rags.

3. Glen Sather is your GM.

Room to talk smack? Not if you're a Rags fan.

Old
06-30-2004, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
You present some valid points here, but I doubt that Philly is looking for a goalie after Esche took them to the conference finals. I believe they re-signed Burke too, so I don't even think that they need a backup. The Canucks might need a goalie, but it really all depends on what happens with Cloutier. If he stays, then they don't really need Osgood, but if he leaves, then perhaps we'd look at him as a replacement (though I wouldn't count on it). The Bruins have Raycroft, and I doubt that Osgood signs where he'd be virtually guaranteed to be a backup. Atlanta is a possibility, but they already have somewhat of a glut in goal and are committed to Lehtonen. I think Los Angeles will go with Garon and Cechmanek, seeing as no one wants Cechmanek and adding Osgood would only give them a goaltending mess to deal with.

The Leafs definitely could if Belfour is gone. The Oilers might be interested, but I guess it depends on how well they think Conklin can do, and what amount of $$$ Osgood wants.

There are a lot of possible scenarios just because there is so much uncertainty this summer, but I don't know how much demand there will be to get him. It's a pretty flooded goalie market right now.
Sean Burke kicked in a player option to stay on for 4.5 million. Even if that wasnt the case Flyers are trying to get their own house in order before worrying about other UFA's

Closed Thread