HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Eric Johnson & McClement to Avs for Chris Stewart and Shattenkirk

Old
02-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm sitting here wondering if I would have traded Subban & let's say Gomez for Stewart & Shattenkirk?
The only type of team I see taking a chance at Gomez is a playoff contender, with a boat-load of cap space and do not mind the cap hit of Gomez for the next few years.

In other words, we're stuck with him.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Tusk

vCash: 500
Sure Chris Stewart has been climbing but at this point he is a one time 20 goal scorer, I would love him on the Habs but people are acting like this is the biggest deal ever. It's a big potential exchange for sure, but that's all it is right now.

I like EJ a lot too and for a guy his size who has logged big minutes at his age, I think people are forgetting about how long these type of blueliners take to reach their level, I see him getting nothing but better.

The reaction to this trade just reminds me how much hockey culture has shifted since the lockout and how now everybody thinks you're washed up by 24, I know it's because of the influx of a lot of good young talent recently but still, everywhere you look veterans entering their 30's or older are getting it done too.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Sure Chris Stewart has been climbing but at this point he is a one time 20 goal scorer, I would love him on the Habs but people are acting like this is the biggest deal ever. It's a big potential exchange for sure, but that's all it is right now.
Stewart sways the favour to the Blues. Johnson and Shattenkirk are both going to be great.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:24 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
The only type of team I see taking a chance at Gomez is a playoff contender, with a boat-load of cap space and do not mind the cap hit of Gomez for the next few years.

No. Nashville is the answer which are a contender and got lots of cap space.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:26 PM
onice

Quote:

And for those cheery words, I think I'm gonna call you sunshine from now on. Even though I think you're right, I don't want to be told that little piece of horrible news.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
They spend wisely though, so you can forget about them just as fast as you typed that. They have a mini Gomez deal in Legwand anyway.

Old
02-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
They spend wisely though, so you can forget about them just as fast as you typed that. They have a mini Gomez deal in Legwand anyway.
Atlanta could be another fit.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
shutehinside

Can the mods please move this to the out of townn thread. Everytime I load the page I see "Confirmed with link" and my heart skips a beat!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Nedved

I think Blues won easily.

whoops. wrong Johnson.

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:05 PM
A1
Set Sail For Fail

Wow, deals like this are so rare in the NHL now. What a blockbuster!

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Can the mods please move this to the out of townn thread. Everytime I load the page I see "Confirmed with link" and my heart skips a beat!
Can you not see that this thread was created by a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Read the last part. I think they WOULD mind the cap hit of Gomez. Sure they have room and they can contend for a spot in the playoffs, but I think they're smarter than that.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Habs

Reminds me of the gutsy trades Serge Savard used to pull off, the kind of stuff that make us successful. Not that getting Mara wasn't brilliant ... that was genius...

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Reminds me of the gutsy trades Serge Savard used to pull off, the kind of stuff that make us successful. Not that getting Mara wasn't brilliant ... that was genius...
Savard for Chelios was so gutsy!

Old
02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I would really like to get a guy like James Neal but i donno what it would take to get him.
He's slumping at the moment. Traded him in my pool 'cause he wasn't bringing it. Might be the time to make a call to Joe.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Habs

Quote:
Savard for Chelios was so gutsy!
lol, I was thinking more of the Muller, Corson, Turgeon trades... but yes, he did make a couple of real stinkers in his day.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:22 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Can you not see that this thread was created by a mod?

Read the last part. I think they WOULD mind the cap hit of Gomez. Sure they have room and they can contend for a spot in the playoffs, but I think they're smarter than that.
I can see, which is why I'm even more perplexed as to why this thread was opened here to begin with when it was being discussed all morning in the out of town thread. No other trade has it's own thread, why should this one between to western Conference teams and not Kaberle that would have a larger impact on the Habs?

Old
02-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Tusk

Quote:
lol, I was thinking more of the Muller, Corson, Turgeon trades... but yes, he did make a couple of real stinkers in his day.
Funny thing is as soon as I typed that I laughed thinking about that he did make good ones that could be described as gutsy. Richer for Muller was huge. I also remember how losing Gilchrist in the Damphousse deal was actually a big thing at the time, he was the rich man's Tom Pyatt and Savard openly expressed his disappointment but said you have to give to get. Anyway, that's the kind of gutsy things a GM has to do, sweeten the pot and the Habs haven't been in on anything like that in a long long time.

Old
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
I'm sitting here wondering if I would have traded Subban & let's say Gomez for Stewart & Shattenkirk?

That improves our forward position by leaps and bounds and doesn't hurt our defense that much. But I love that kid, PK
I don't think Subban and Gomez would land you Stewart and Shattenkirk. I don't think Subban's value is much higher than Shattenkirk's and Gomez surely doesn't land you Stewart alone.

If anything, Subban + would resemble Shattenkirk + Stewart and could've landed us Johnson and McClement. But surely not the other way around. I love Subban as much as you guys, but I'd tend to believe that his value and Shattenkirk's are very similar. EJ is a few steps above that considering he's the total package.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Quote:
I can see, which is why I'm even more perplexed as to why this thread was opened here to begin with when it was being discussed all morning in the out of town thread. No other trade has it's own thread, why should this one between to western Conference teams and not Kaberle that would have a larger impact on the Habs?
Mods made a decision to allow individual threads for each major trade completed from now until the end of the trade deadline.

Feel free to make a thread for the Kaberle trade.

PyrettaBlaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Not everyone looks at the OOT thread and what happens is posters will eventually create new threads about trades. So like last year we will have a thread for trades around the league until the end of the deadline to discuss the trades, I'm not saying we should start a thread for a team trading a minor league player for a 6th round pick unless it involves the Habs of course but the bigger deals will have their own thread.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Not everyone looks at the OOT thread and what happens is posters will eventually create new threads about trades. So like last year we will have a thread for trades around the league until the end of the deadline to discuss the trades, I'm not saying we should start a thread for a team trading a minor league player for a 6th round pick unless it involves the Habs of course but the bigger deals will have their own thread.
Thanks for clearing that up H4L.

Old
02-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

I like EJ a lot too and for a guy his size who has logged big minutes at his age, I think people are forgetting about how long these type of blueliners take to reach their level, I see him getting nothing but better.

The reaction to this trade just reminds me how much hockey culture has shifted since the lockout and how now everybody thinks you're washed up by 24, I know it's because of the influx of a lot of good young talent recently but still, everywhere you look veterans entering their 30's or older are getting it done too.
It's a pretty huge deal. I'm really interested to see how Johnson develops going forward.
Quote:
The Muller one took serious guts to do.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:52 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
This is the type of deal I want Gauthier to make, not sending away picks for rentals, if you wanna trade the 1st and 2nd I have no problem but get some guys that will help us in the long run like EJ or Stewart which is exactly the type of forward we have needed for years. I wonder if PG even knew he was made available
So would you trade Subban and Pacioretty for John Carlson and Jason Chimera?

Last edited by SB164: 02-19-2011 at 03:00 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Shattenkirk is a great prospect!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

It's nice to see a blockbuster like this, since it doesn't happen very often anymore.

Right now, I'd say this deal looks good for both teams. Colorado will win it in the long run though, if EJ reaches his full potential.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 02-19-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote